Spirits in the Material World Pt. 15

Story Info
Continuing drama for Alan, Rose, Tom, Julie, David, & Maggie.
14.6k words
4.83
3.6k
6
2

Part 15 of the 17 part series

Updated 06/12/2023
Created 12/16/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Spirits in the Material World, Part 15 by storyteller0112

All persons are over the age of 18, and all characters and locations are totally fictional.

None of these parts or chapters stand alone. The narrative picks up where the previous one left off.

Wednesday, December 16:

Alan's alarm clock flipped from 5:59 to 6:00 am, and the radio came to life. Today the DJs seemed to be in an optimistic mood, as it was still dark out. ELO's "Mr. Blue Sky". "Morning. Today's forecast calls for blue skies." Alan's feet were going left and right in time with the music, and his hands could not resist the urge to beat the bed covers playing the 'air drums'. "Hey, you with the pretty face, welcome to the Human Race." Alan was reminded that he had not had his customary communication with Rose. He pulled his phone off the charger and there was one voicemail and several text messages. But the missed call was not from Rose's phone. Alan frowned.

He silenced his radio then turned his attention to the text messages. He started with the oldest one first. 'Hmmph. He was supposed to call her.' Well, THAT didn't happen, did it? He cycled through the other messages, ending up with the one where she wanted him to call her, please. Very well, then. He pressed speed dial # 1. It did not sound like her phone even rang once before she answered.

"Alan? I'm sorry. I love you so very much!"

"And I love you too, Rose. What happened?" Alan asked.

"The same thing that happened between Maggie and David; technology failure on the part of the user failing to reboot their device," she explained.

"Which is why I have a calendar reminder on my phone to reboot it weekly. I would suggest you consider adding one for yourself. Of course, things will be much simpler once you move in with me. We won't depend on our phones quite so much to communicate with each other."

"What IS IT with these Harrison guys and being right?" she thought. Aloud, Rose responded, "Yeah, that's probably a good idea, Alan. So, when can I see you again?"

"Now that we don't need to build out rooms in the basement, the only thing keeping me down here is the return of the college students. I need to do some Christmas shopping, now for more than just Tom and David. Any suggestions for your girls?"

"Jewelry is almost always a good idea for ladies. Perfumes can be a chemistry issue, and depending on the lady, appliances can be hit or miss. Experiences are often a very good way to go with people over a certain age," Rose advised.

"Thank you for that suggestion. Can we talk seriously about something now, please?"

Rose's heart leaped into her throat, but she managed to croak out a soft, "Sure, Alan."

"If I were to get a ring set, what are your desires? Shape, primarily."

Rose burst into tears of joy. "Practically anything, Alan, love. My first ring was a square cut, but I sold it to help make ends meet shortly after my divorce was finalized. I would love practically anything you would get."

"Any preference for the metal? Gold, Platinum, Silver?"

"White gold, please?"

"I'll see what can be done."

"Oh, Alan," Rose began, trying to sniff back the tears and failing epically. "I don't deserve you. I get mad at you far too easily for incredibly trivial things. But I love you so much. You complete me. You make me want to be a better person, and I hate waking up in bed alone. You've set the bar so high that only you can clear it."

"And you complete me as well, Rose. Yes, I felt something too when we first met and it about dropped me to my knees. And all I can feel is that being with you is right." Alan kept to himself, probably very wisely, his sense that this pairing also had Laura's blessing. He hoped Laura would accept his need to move on and possibly move out of this house they had chosen together. He had not dreamed of her in a while, so he was flying solo on this.

"Listen, Rose, compose yourself. You have a busy day ahead of you. I will call you tonight if you wish."

"Oh, Alan, I wish it! Have a good day, my love, and we will talk tonight."

"As you wish." Alan smiled and disconnected the call. Now for the voicemail.

"Hi, Alan, it's Debbie Harris. I got your message about contacting the recruiter. Is there something possible at your new place? You know I'd follow you anywhere. I'll contact the recruiter, but I'd love to talk to you as well. The excrement struck the ventilator with great force, but I'm pretty sure you knew that would happen. Please call me after work at XXX-XXXX. Thanks!"

Debbie's message drew a wry but very big smile from Alan. He noted her phone number in his contacts and added a tickler to his calendar to call her that night. She was one of the really good ones he would love to work with again. And she had a good vocabulary and excellent command of it as well. She could tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they would actually look forward to the trip.

= = =

David's remaining final exam was not an exam at all. He completed his version of the six of them at church with the girls kissing the guys, in a style very similar to his portrait of Laura. This final project was his final exam, and his instructor was beyond pleased with the results. She arranged for some special lighting and for her cohort on the photography side to capture the finished project for their records. David allowed her to put it on display until the Spring semester completed, which drew tears of gratitude from her. He did request a digital copy of the photographs taken of it, however. He had taken one with his phone, but it could not compare in quality to the professionally taken photo. The final grades would be posted online by next Wednesday, so he returned to his room to pack the things he was not taking home over the break. By 3:00 pm he was packed up and ready to roll for home. Robert was stuck in his last final, so David left a note wishing him a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year, and pleasant times with Mandy. Then he got on the road for Middleburg.

= = =

Tom's last exam was his Business Ethics course, and while he occasionally disagreed with what had been taught, his background and personal beliefs as well as good exam preparation allowed him to breeze through the test. He provided the answers the instructor desired, not necessarily the ones he would have chosen. Sometimes it can be difficult to maintain your personal ethics. But being known as an Eagle Scout effectively paints a big bullseye on you and you need to live up to the expectations of others, especially other Eagle Scouts. Tom was smiling broadly as he exited the classroom, eager to get his stuff packed up and to go home for a month.

Re-enabling his phone, he saw a text from Julie that had been sent just 15 minutes earlier.

Jules: * Tom, please come by my dorm room after your exam is done *

Tommy: * On my way, Jules *

= = =

Julie was frustrated and angry. Having studied intently late into the previous night and all through breakfast, she had arrived at the classroom door to find a sign reading, "Prof. Evans' exam has been postponed until Thursday." Of course, Professor Evans was not in his office and the department admin had no other information which could be provided to students. Julie stalked off in a huff, returning to the only safe place for her on campus, her dorm room. She was nearly in tears with frustration when she sent the text to Tom and then impatiently waited for him to respond.

He responded at last and would soon be at her door. Her roommate had already cleared out for the holidays, making things a little easier for Julie. Still in her room, she had a microwave and a small refrigerator, neither of which she would need in the apartment. She occupied herself with packing away her dirty laundry and the clothes she would not be wearing on campus.

Tom's knocking on her door roused her from her task, and she bolted to the door to leap into his arms.

Spying tear tracks on her face, Tom asked, "Jules, what is the matter?"

"Professor Evans has postponed our exam until tomorrow. I'm stuck here."

"Ok, so you have to stay the extra night. Looks like Dawn is already gone." Tom waggled his eyebrows, suggestively. "Oh, gee whiz, whatever can we do to pass the time?" he asked, very facetiously.

Julie instantly caught on to Tom's intents and was wholeheartedly on board that crazy train.

"First off, Jules, do you need to study now for tomorrow's exam?" Tom asked.

"No, I think I'm good for now. Maybe a bit later tonight or first thing tomorrow to refresh things," she answered.

"Very well. Secondly, can we push these two beds together and still have room to maneuver?"

"We haven't tried it before. I suppose if you leave my left side up against the wall, we could climb in over Dawn's bed."

"Ok, so let's get these pushed together. Then I would recommend we start packing up... oh, I see you're already way ahead of me. Nice. Would you please accompany me to my room and help me get my stuff packed up and loaded into my beater?"

They walked to Tom's dorm, hand in hand as had become their custom, and together made quick work of getting Tom out of his room. All he had, appliance-wise, was a small microwave; the refrigerator belonged to his roommate, Bill. A couple of trips to his car and it was loaded. They drove it to Julie's dorm's parking lot where about two-thirds of the spaces were empty. Looking at what they loaded, they did not believe there was anything they needed to store over Christmas at the new apartment. Tom plucked his sleeping bag from his back seat and took it inside to Julie's room along with an overnight bag.

"Supper or canoodling?" Tom inquired.

"Definitely canoodling!" So, they reposed crosswise across both beds, sleeping bag unzipped first, and delighted in each other's closeness, caresses, kisses, and coitus.

When they finally realized what the time was, supper was no longer being served, so they had to suffer and order pizza and Cokes.

"Now, you need to study a bit more, right? Is there anything I can do to assist you?" Tom asked.

"Nope. I've got this. Maybe, just maybe, the extra day will actually help me with this class," Julie noted.

Tom spent the night in Julie's room, wrapped in her arms and she in his.

= = =

Maggie's remaining exams were almost as ludicrous to her as her Calculus one was. She breezed through them, and aside from a half-day tomorrow, she was done with high school. She emptied her locker, disposed of all her papers, and skipped lightly out the front door to catch her last bus ride home. And very few others realized what a milestone she was passing.

She got home and was at a loss temporarily about what to do. No more schoolwork. No more assignments. She was free! While she waited for Rose to return from work so they could go dress shopping, she texted David.

Magpie: * Davey, I'm done! I'm nearly free! *

David had just arrived at his home in Middleburg and was in the process of unloading the Jeep, so he did not respond for about ten minutes.

Davey: * Wow! But you still have to go back, two more times at least. Dance and Graduation. *

Magpie: * True dat. *

Davey: * True dat? Did your IQ just drop ten points by texting that? *

Magpie: * :D When are you coming up here? *

Davey: * Probably not until midday on Friday. Dad needs help with figuring out where in the basement to put the rooms, and I need to clear out my art studio *

Magpie: * You might want to talk with him first. I think the plans may have changed yet again. *

Davey: * He's not here right now, but I'll ask at supper tonight. Why do you think this? *

Magpie: * Easier to talk than type. I'm calling you now. *

"Heya, Davey!" Maggie said in a sing-song voice. "How's my yummy boyfriend?"

"Yummy boyfriend? I like that, thanks! I'm good. Had a safe drive from school to home. What do you mean 'you think the plans may have changed yet again'?"

"Your dad was talking to my mom on Sunday, and he is now questioning the need for the basement rooms. See if you can puzzle this one out before I tell you," she tormented him a little.

"Then where do Tom and Julie sleep? On the sofa again like at Thanksgiving?"

"Nope. Try the front bedroom, Tom's room."

"Ok, so are you going to be on the sofa instead?"

"Nope. Strike two."

"If not in the front bedroom and not on the sofa and no rooms are being built in the basement, that would leave..." Maggie allowed the pause to drag out until she just could not stand it.

"Your room. After this weekend, your dad reckons there will be no feasible way to keep us apart, and he's right, so I think he has her convinced of the inevitability of our sharing your new bed. Hey, we'll get to break it in like they did with their new bed last weekend!"

"As long as we don't actually break my new bed. And how long is that going to work for us?" David inquired.

"Long enough. Tom and Jules have an apartment to move into around the first of the year, so two weeks at the most. Then I'll move to the front bedroom."

"You've got this all planned out, don't you?"

"Not me. I'm just following one of your dad's maxims: Better to be silent and thought to be a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. They thought I was tuned out and listening to music on the way back up here Sunday afternoon. Not the case. This is all him."

"That was sneaky of you. Oh, Sunday afternoon was the lunch at the Johnsons' place. How did that go? I'm sorry I couldn't be here for that, but exams, you know."

"It went well. I spent time studying for my Physics final, and then I was offered a job."

"A job?!? Where and by whom?"

"It turns out that Mr. and Mrs. Johnson own four jewelry stores, including the two downtown. They happen to be losing an employee to marriage and relocation and wondered if I would like a job. It would be 30 hours per week, Tuesday through Saturday, and they're paying me ten bucks per hour. I should be able to sock away some money for this fall at State."

David snorted and shook his head in wonderment. 'How is it that we are lucking into all these great things now?' he thought.

"What was that snort for?" Maggie demanded.

"Just thinking how the coins are all landing face up for us lately. Our guardian angels must be working overtime. Which reminds me that I need to contact the pool to see if I can get any lifeguarding shifts in while I'm home for a month. It would be a shame to have the Red Cross Lifeguard certification and not put it to use."

"I didn't know you were a certified lifeguard!"

"I guess it hasn't come up. Yeah, I have all the Boy Scout Water Safety training and certification and along the way also picked up the Red Cross Lifeguard certification. I've spent the last two summers being a lifeguard for the city at one or more of their pools. That's what I do to keep me in pocket money."

"Have you ever had to rescue somebody?"

"Yeah, three times. The first two times it was younger kids who literally got in over their heads. The last time it was someone having a heart attack," David said, sadly.

"What happened with the last one?" Maggie asked.

"We pulled him from the pool and performed CPR until the paramedics could get there and take him to the hospital. Three days later he had a massive stroke and died while in the hospital. We were 'credited' with giving him those extra days to set his affairs in order, but I had to quit and go off to school soon anyway. It didn't feel like 'credit', not to me."

"Davey, I'm sorry to dredge up those bad memories. I had no idea. I was hoping to call you my hero, not make you feel bad."

"It's ok, Magpie. I appreciate where you were coming from. I did what I did because I have the training and had the responsibility. I'm happy to try to be your hero."

Just then, David heard the garage door opening and he knew Alan had returned from wherever he had been. "Dad's just now coming home, Mags. I need to talk with him, so I have to let you go. I love you."

"I love you too, David. We'll talk again tomorrow if not sooner. Bye."

= = =

Alan had his shower then descended to the kitchen to brew a half-pot of coffee and eat some breakfast. He tried to do some research on diamonds with his phone but quickly grew frustrated with the limitations imposed by the small screen. He got out his laptop and tried to discern what was truly informative from what was advertising. Sadly, so much of what the search engines returned was advertising. By now almost the entire morning was gone, and he did a classic facepalm when he realized what should have been his first choice.

He got dressed in khakis and a polo (blue, not red so he would not be confused for Jake with State Farm), and he headed downtown. Remembering the tale related by Tom, Alan fed the parking meter as much as possible before stepping into one of Jack Johnson's jewelry stores.

"May I help you, sir?" greeted him almost as soon as he stepped through the door. The young lady behind the counter was already on her way closer.

"Uh, maybe, uh... Alice," Alan fumbled his reply but caught her name on her nametag. "I'm Alan Harrison and I really need to speak with Jack Johnson. Is he here today?"

"Is there a problem with a purchase, sir?" Alice was displaying her excellent customer service manners.

"No, no problem with a purchase yet. We go to the same church, you see, and I really need his expert advice about a jewelry purchase I need to make. Is he in?" Alan asked.

"He stepped out about fifteen minutes ago for an early lunch. He should be back within the next fifteen minutes. But I'd really like to try to help you now until he returns, if I may."

Then the name 'Alice' triggered something in Alan's memory, from Sunday.

"May I add my congratulations to you, Alice, and best wishes for a happy marriage."

'Surprised' did not begin to describe Alice's reaction to Alan's words. 'Stunned' or 'shocked into insensibility' would be better descriptors.

"How... how... how do you know... know about my marriage?" she stammered.

"It's a bit complicated, but Jack said at lunch on Sunday that he needed to find someone to fill in for you once you got married and moved away to be with your husband." The fact that Maggie was tapped to be her replacement was not information he felt he should divulge. "So, again, congratulations and I wish you both a long, happy marriage together."

The revelation that Alan had had lunch with the Johnsons on Sunday caused Alice to reframe her perspective entirely. This man was close to Jack and Maeve, and she could not bear to disappoint a friend of her bosses.

"Tell you what, Mr. Harrison, let us start discussing what you would like, and I'll gladly tender you to Mr. Johnson upon his return. Generally, what are you looking for?" she inquired.

"It will be no surprise to Jack, but I need a wedding set: engagement ring and wedding ring for her and a wedding ring for myself," Alan admitted.

Then the name 'Alan Harrison' permeated her memory. Jack and Maeve had both mentioned their hope and expectation that Alan would be a customer soon. She squealed, unprofessionally, with delight at putting their discussions together with the man standing before her.

"Oh, Mr. Harrison! That's wonderful! How is Tom?" she bubbled with joy.

"Tom? He's fine, thanks. He should be home today or tomorrow with just one semester left. Do you know him?"

"I had such a crush on him in high school, but I could never work up the courage even to talk with him. Yes, I see the resemblance between you, now. Please pass along my fond regards to him," Alice requested.

"Better still, I'll send him down here tomorrow or Friday and you can tell him in person. You work 9 to 4:30, right?"

Alice's eye grew wide when he stated her work hours. She licked her lips and stammered an acknowledgment of those facts.