Spirits in the Material World Pt. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What's gotten into you, Magpie?" Julie asked, trying to deescalate the emotional intensity of the discussion. "I have not even talked about non-class-related things with a boy slash man since Tom and I started dating."

"Because your relationship with Tom has brought me David and hooked up Mom with Alan. It's all your doing and I'm afraid it could be all your undoing as well," Maggie admitted. "This has been an incredible three weeks, for all of us. Yes, it's only been three weeks since I met David and Mom met Alan on Thanksgiving. And our lives are so much better for it! So don't you DARE screw it up for us!"

"Mags, what's really wrong?" Julie asked. "There's no call to worry about any of that. Our dominoes are all lined up; all we have to do is follow through and watch them fall and make the pretty picture."

"I'm nervous about tonight, Jules. I want everything to be perfect for me and David. The dance, the intercourse, everything," Maggie admitted. Julie pulled her sister into a big hug.

"I'm sure David's as nervous about this as you are, sweetie. But you will feel SO much closer with him, and he with you. Just be careful," Julie admonished.

"I'm on the pill, Jules, and I take it every morning when I brush my teeth. Do you want to be 'pill buddies' with me while you're home?"

'Pill Buddies'? That's a new one on me. Mom sure doesn't need one, so sure. While I'm home we can be 'pill buddies'. But, FYI, I have my monthly visitor who just arrived this morning. But I'll be happy to remind you."

They passed the rest of the day just talking about inconsequential things.

= = =

Alan did a little online research and placed an order for three dozen roses in red, yellow, and pink, along with two red carnation boutonnieres and two red wrist corsages with the florist shop in the large grocery store in Centreville. Specifying they be ready by 5 pm, Alan was gratified for a confirmation email by their online ordering system.

Working backward in time from 5 pm, Alan and David would have to leave Middleburg no later than 3 pm, preferably a few minutes earlier, just in case. Plus, they needed to pick up David's tux rental, so it was decided they would head out at 2 pm then roll for Centreville from there. They enjoyed each other's company for the morning and sandwiches and chips for lunch.

Alan and David both packed an overnight bag with clothes to wear home on Saturday and David remembered to take decent shoes for dancing. He was sure to pack his box of condoms as well as the 'his and her' lube from a couple of weeks earlier.

There was no issue with the rental pick up and Alan asked if he might drive the Jeep up to Centreville. David looked at him a little funny but said, "Sure, Dad." They filled up with gasoline before beginning their trek to see the Lawson ladies.

About five minutes into their journey, Alan asked David to remove his headphones so they could talk some more.

"David, I know what is supposed to happen tonight between you and Maggie. As you have noted, Rose and I have done our level best to put the 'fear of pregnancy' into both you and Maggie. From your words and attitude, I believe we were successful with you."

"And..." David prompted.

"And I wanted to talk frankly with you about first-times. Your mother was my first experience with intercourse, but we weren't yet married or even engaged. We were still learning about each other via the dating process, and then we coupled. For me, it felt good to remove the 'virgin' stigma; for your mother, not so much. We were unprepared and unskilled and it was over far too quickly and there was quite a bit of blood."

"Ewww. Dad!"

"Hey, it was what it was. I was your mother's one and only lover, and she was mine until Rose came into my life. I don't know if you will experience much blood with Maggie's hymen being broken. I hope not, but I'll be there tonight if you need me. I have found that wearing a condom will help delay your ejaculation, so if you're truly worried about cumming too soon, I recommend using a condom. I know Maggie's on the pill, but it's still early days for her. It's never wrong to ask to wear a condom, unless you are trying to get her pregnant."

"Thanks, Dad. Are we done with this topic?" David asked.

"Yeah, son. We're done."

The trip to Centreville was uneventful, and Alan began to appreciate the extra visibility the Jeep gave over his Subaru. David took advantage of Alan driving and he read the owner's manual. He figured out how to link his phone to the Bluetooth connection for hands-free calling and Spotify playback over the car's sound system. They arrived at the florist shop attached to the grocery store just before 5 pm and their order was ready. Alan added a vase, for Julie's flowers, and the two Harrisons completed their journey to the apartments.

Alan had David send Maggie a text, asking if Rose was home yet. Not yet, came the response, but Rose was picking up KFC for supper for the five of them. Alan backed the Jeep into a spot away from the entrance, and they sat there watching for Rose to return home. David was a bit puzzled by this, but Alan's assurances that all was well eased any worries. Alan explained what he had done the previous weekend and he wanted to repeat the performance. David agreed with a smile, and they waited. About ten minutes later, Rose's car came swooping into a spot in front of the stairs. She carried in two very large bags and closed the door.

= = =

Rose struggled up the stairs to her apartment and got the door open.

"Can I get some help here?" she called out.

Maggie bounced out of her room, sniffing the air and smelling supper. She grabbed a bag and they set them on the table so the contents could be set out on the pass-thru from the kitchen.

"Any word from Alan and David?" Rose asked.

"David texted a little bit ago, wondering if you were home, but he did not say where they were."

"Why don't you ask them how much longer they will be, please?"

Magpie: * Davey, Mom wants to know how much longer you will be *

Davey: * Magpie, not much longer. We still have an errand to complete *

Rose headed down the hall to change out of her work clothes and made it about halfway before there was some knocking at the door. Maggie whipped the door open to face two people who had flowers in their hands, hiding their faces.

"Delivery for Ms. Julia Lawson, Ms. Rose Lawson, and Ms. Margaret Lawson," came a nasal, grating voice.

Rose stopped, spun on her heel, and returned quickly to the entry area.

"Jules, get your heinie out here. You've got a delivery you need to sign for," shouted Maggie, smiling ear to ear. "Come inside, you two. A little impatient, were we this week?"

The flowers descended, revealing the guys' faces, and squeals of joy echoed. Julie appeared right behind Rose and stopped, stunned.

"Here, Julie, these are for you," Alan said, handing her the vase and the pink roses.

"Dibs on the yellow ones," called out Maggie who practically snatched them out of David's hands. She lifted them to her face and inhaled deeply. Then she grabbed David by the back of his neck and pulled him into a passionate kiss, full of tongue. Breaking free for a moment, Maggie whispered, "Davey, Davey, Davey, I have missed you so much!" Then she dove back into his face, lips first.

"I guess the red ones are for me, again," Rose surmised as she pulled Alan into an equally passionate embrace. "Oh, Alan, it's so good to have you back in my arms!"

"I guess I have to console myself with just these awesome pink roses," Julie mourned but smiling. She gathered up the flowers from her mother and her sister and set about in the kitchen getting the three vases populated.

"Come on, folks. Let's have some supper before we have to get dressed," Rose chivvied the group.

= = =

Tom was left at loose ends once Alan and David departed. Alan had shared Alice's request for Tom to stop in, so he thought that might be a nice use of his time. Parking in front of the jewelry store, he was sure to feed the meter enough to prevent a repeat parking ticket.

The electronic 'ding-dong' sounded as he entered the store, and Alice appeared quickly from the back room.

"Tom Harrison, it's very nice to see you!" she bubbled.

"Alice Mason, you are looking very well," he replied.

"Soon to be Alice Phillips," she answered, and waved him further in so she could give him a big hug, which really surprised Tom.

"My dad said you hoped to see me before you got married and relocated."

"I did ask him to pass that along. I hear you've got a nice girl picked out for yourself."

"Oh? Is Mr. Johnson talking about me behind my back?" Tom inquired.

"He told me of your pearls purchase back at Thanksgiving, and he's shared glowing comments about your lady after each worship service she has attended. I think he's got a bit of a crush on her, but don't tell him I said that."

"I can see how that could happen. She looks so much like my mom did at the same age. That's just one of the reasons I pursued her."

"I'd love to meet her, Tom."

"She's up in Centreville with her family, but I think they'll be down and in church on Sunday. Look for us then?"

"Count on it. Was there anything I could help you with today?" she asked.

"Well, sometime in the future I'll probably need to buy a diamond ring. You seem to have a nice selection here. I'm an ignorant heathen. Educate me?" Tom offered.

For the next hour and a half, Alice educated Tom and attempted to dispel some myths about buying a diamond engagement ring. She informed him of the 4 C's: cut, clarity, color, and carat weight. She emphasized the importance of having a budget before he even walked in the door. She taught him about various metals: gold, platinum, white gold, and rose gold. Then she had an inspiration.

"Wait here a second, will you please?"

She ducked into the back room and emerged with the ring set his father had purchased with the rings already resized.

"Tom, this is what your father bought the other day," she said, revealing the three rings in rose gold. "They're ready for him to come and pick up. We just haven't called to leave him the message."

Tom's eyes widened and his jaw dropped. He stood there, stunned, for a few seconds, and then his brain started to work again.

"You say this is rose gold? Oh, my God! She's gonna freak!"

"Who will freak?"

"My dad's intended, Rose Lawson. Get it? Rose Gold for Rose Lawson!" Tom gushed.

Alice finally caught on to the humor of Alan's selection.

"Do you want to take this with you?" she asked.

"No, it would not be appropriate, I think. Call my dad tomorrow, follow your processes and rules. Wow!" Tom replied. "Alice, I need to go finish my errands. Thank you so very much for the edification. And congratulations on your upcoming wedding!"

Alice came around the display case and wrapped Tom in an embrace, pulling his head down to hers. She whispered in his ear, "I had the biggest crush on you in high school, Tom. Be well!" Then she kissed him soundly on his lips and let go of him. She stepped back behind the display case and watched him as she repacked Alan's purchase and prepared to restore it to the back room.

'Stunned like a mullet' would describe Tom just then. He thought, 'She had a crush on me? How did I never know this?' He turned to the door and just before opening it, he called back, "Hey, Alice? I mean it. Congratulations to you both!" Then he left the store.

There was still time on the meter, so Tom decided to walk around downtown Middleburg for a bit, getting his thoughts in order. He mulled over Alice's statement of having had a crush on him. Then he started to think of alternative timelines, ones where he never met Julie, where he actually had girlfriends and dates in high school. He nearly ran over Mr. Johnson as he was emerging from his other store, and they grasped each other to keep from falling to the sidewalk.

"Tom! It's good to run into you, literally," jested Jack. "What brings you down here?"

"Oh, Mr. Johnson, I'm so sorry. Yes, it's good to see you as well. I was just at your other store, talking with Alice, and I was just stretching my legs and living between my ears."

"Where are you parked?"

"In front of your other store, sir."

"Well, come walk with me. I'll feel safer if I have a bodyguard," Jack smiled although he was serious. He was carrying about $50,000 worth of merchandise in his pockets.

"It would be my pleasure, sir," responded Tom.

"What did you and Miss Alice talk about, pray tell?"

"She was educating me in the specifications of diamonds and the multitude of metals available for rings."

"Ah. And did she show you your father's recent purchase?"

"Yes, she did. She offered to let me take it, but I think it would be best for you to call him and for him to come to get them. I wouldn't want to get hit by a bus while carrying them for him."

"That's very sensible, son. Say, I'm looking forward to having Maggie come work for me soon. Do you happen to know when she'll be available? I should call her myself, but we're walking and talking now, so..."

"No, sir, I'm not really aware of their timeline for moving down. I know Rose has to work through Wednesday. Maggie may not be able to start until after Christmas, I'm not certain."

"I'll give her a call and be sure we're all on the same page. Perhaps I'll see her on Sunday?"

"I hope that's the case, sir. Here we are, safe and sound and unaccosted. I have to get going now if that's all right with you."

"Thank you for your company, Tom, and thank you for ensuring my safety," Jack said, totally seriously. "See you on Sunday?"

"Absolutely, sir. Have a good rest of the weekend!" With that, Tom got into his car and drove off to the Middleburg Mall.

= = =

When the KFC had been consumed, it was nearly 6:15 pm and they had to get properly attired for the evening's festivities. Alan and David retrieved their clothes from David's Jeep along with the corsages and boutonnieres while Maggie and Julie went to Maggie's room and Rose retired to her bedroom. Alan and David were instructed to use Julie's room to change into their clothes.

The guys were changed within 20 minutes, but the hands on the clock kept their pace, clockward, around the face, and still, the ladies did not appear. At 6:45, Rose's door opened, and she emerged. She wore a red silk knee-length wrap dress and smoky black nylons ending in 3" peep-toe black pumps. Her hair had been teased up a bit, and a light cloud of some perfume Alan had yet to experience trailed after her as she stepped down the hall. Reaching Maggie's door, she knocked and was admitted before the door closed again.

A couple of minutes later, Maggie emerged, resplendent in her off-the-shoulders pure white dress which came to mid-calf on her, followed by Rose then Julie. Maggie's hair had been swirled and twirled up off her neck but had a couple of ringlets descending on the right and left sides of her face. Mascara had been applied to her eyelashes and a slight blusher had been applied to her cheeks which matched the light pink gloss on her lips. Maggie had chosen some silver flats, almost ballet shoes, to allow her to dance.

The jaws on both David and Alan were non-functional, being on the floor as they were. All they could do was stand there, agog, and watch the visions coming at them down the hall. They each held the wrist corsage for their dates but had been immobilized by the splendor before them. Alan recovered first, closing his mouth audibly, his heart leaping out through his eyeballs to Rose.

"This, my beloved, is for you," he finally got out, extending the corsage to her left wrist, which she accepted with a knowing smile, almost a smirk, and a quick kiss to Alan's cheek without leaving a trace of her ruby-red lipstick.

Maggie just stood there, basking in David's inability to do anything. She took a step closer, then another. Finally, she was able to lift her hand to close his mouth then apply her lips to his, leaving a light coating of her pink lip gloss.

Maggie giggled and asked, "So, kind sir, do you have a similar gift for me?" while pointing at her mother's corsage.

"Of- of course, Maggie. Here, let me see your left hand," David stumbled. He extracted the corsage and eventually got it placed on Maggie's left wrist as well. Alan chuckled, seeing the lip gloss residue on David's lips and he handed a handkerchief to his son, indicating he should wipe his mouth. Maggie and Rose giggled at that.

"Ladies, your chariots await," Alan declared. "Rose, may I convey you in your vehicle? We may not all want to depart the dance at the same time," he foresaw. "David, you know my expectations."

Rose handed Alan her keys and the two pairs exited and descended the stairs to the vehicles for the brief journey to the school.

Julie locked the front door and returned to her room where she noted Tom's text message from a few hours ago. She responded that she was now available and would like for him to call her. Her response went unanswered.

= = =

Tom wandered around the mall, both levels, and even stopped into the large chain jewelers to verify Alice's instruction of earlier and to see what their selections were. He meandered through the throngs of Christmas shoppers and remembered he needed to purchase some Christmas gifts. He thought some time spent not in motion would be best, so he journeyed to the Food Court for some Sbarro pizza slices and a drink. He now felt he needed at least five gifts, but what should they be? He didn't want to fall back on the lame gift card solution, but that was always an option. Same for cash. But the hordes of people who kept coming into the mall started to aggravate his Enochlophobia (look it up) and he started to sweat, and his heart was hammering in his chest.

Without purchasing anything, Tom escaped the mall and returned to his car where he just sat and calmed down. He texted Julie but did not receive an immediate response. Mentally shrugging his shoulders, he started for home. He drove cautiously, not getting too wrapped up in his thoughts. He was thinking about what he might get for Julie when, all of a sudden, headlights appeared to his right, coming at him perpendicularly. He tried to swerve to his left to miss the collision, but the oncoming vehicle was moving too quickly. His car was struck on the right side and forced across the oncoming lane and headfirst into an ancient maple tree. His airbag deployed and he was wearing his seatbelt, so he did not get launched through the windshield. But he just sat there, bleeding and unconscious.

Other drivers stopped and called 911. While the police were on the scene in about five minutes, it took about twenty minutes for the EMTs to get through the traffic backup. By that time, the driver and passengers of the other vehicle had emerged, dazed and a bit confused, but conscious. They tried to walk away but were prevented by a couple of the witnesses, then the police, and were seated on the ground a little way away.

The EMTs quickly found Tom in his vehicle still unconscious and bleeding. They were able to extract him from the car and placed him on a backboard with a neck brace, then on a stretcher. After quickly checking the other parties in the collision, the ambulance drove off to the Middleburg Hospital with Tom.

He was identified by his documentation, and the home phone was located and called, but there was no answer. His cell phone was locked, and he was unable to provide the code to unlock it. Nobody knew how to get hold of his mother or father or family or wife.

His phone, still locked, received a text from someone named 'Jules' and this was brought to the attention of one of the nurses. This nurse, just coming on duty, knew the Harrisons from church and thought only to call Maeve Johnson with the news that Tom was in the hospital, and no one had numbers to reach Alan Harrison. That started a tidal wave of concern. Maeve had Rose's phone number and Jack had Alan's, but neither one was answering.