Squaring Things Up

Story Info
There are many ways to achieve balance in a marriage.
13.2k words
3.73
33k
51
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
demander
demander
1,493 Followers

CAST

Milo Greene: 40 y/o attorney. 5'10", 165.

Mary Greene, nee Schmidt, 39, 5'6", 135.

Anna Green, their 15 year old daughter.

Joseph Greene, their 13 year old son.

Todd Billings, 27 y/o, attorney at Mary's law firm, single.

Sara Mason, 30 y/o attorney, divorced, two daughters, 8 and 6.

Zill Manning, 28 y/o private investigator, single.

Vera Cooper, 34 y/o attorney at Mary's firm, recently separated.

MARY MESSES UP?

Milo Green sat in his office, looking out at the street four stories below. It was busy now, mostly recovered from the virus downtown blues. Milo was in a down mood. He was not despondent. But he had a lot on his mind.

There was a knock at the door, and Sara Mason peeked in. Milo waved her in. She was a cutie, a sexy blonde, and Milo always appreciated it when she was around. He rented her an interior office, just down the hall from his. Today she was dressed in a blue shift, black tights, ankle boots. She gave Milo a small smile.

She said, "What's up with you, Milo? You're...you haven't been right all last week." It was Monday morning, early February.

He said, "Mary." He stopped.

She waited, but he looked away. She said, "She fucked up." It wasn't a question.

Milo nodded. "Maybe. Probably."

"Tell mama. All about it."

Sara knew Milo pretty well. She knew he'd appreciate the reference. Etta James (among others - Janis). ('Tell Mama what you need...what you want...And I'll make everything all right.')

Milo looked up. He smiled ruefully. He asked, "Will you make everything all right?"

Sara was more than willing to console him. Even more, she was more than willing to rip him away from his snooty bitch wife.

So, she smiled at him, head tilted. A smile full of promise and desire. She said, "Yes. But first...tell me."

Milo told her.

It had begun, for him, when he went to the Hamelin and Stone holiday party - his wife's law firm. It was a white shoe firm, but also an aggressive one. Its D.C. office was staffed with almost a hundred lawyers. Mary Greene was an up-and-comer there - a new partner. She specialized in regulatory litigation, mostly before the SEC. She'd had two big wins in the last year, and now she was on top of the world at the firm.

The holiday party was held in the ballroom of a downtown hotel. Very posh. The firm could well afford that. The party was a true social event for the firm, and Mary was a star at that point.

Milo was a solo practitioner. He had a suite of offices near the local courts. He rented space to other solo practitioners. Most of them did court-appointed work, of one sort or another. Milo had started that way - doing court appointed criminal work, just out of law school. He was a natural trial lawyer. That being so, he made his way quickly to a point where he was trying homicide cases. That got old. He started doing civil work - mostly personal injury stuff. And he started doing criminal appeals. One day a guy walked in - Victor Santini. His son Dom had been convicted of murder, even though he'd been represented by well-known and expensive lawyers. Santini had gotten Milo's name from a former client, and now he proposed to pay a huge sum of money to Milo. There was an initial retainer and, sub rosa, a bonus for success. Milo very carefully explained that he would not pass any of the money along to get a result. The only expenditures would be for legal assistance, if needed. In short - no money to judges or clerks.

Victor said he understood. Milo took the case and got the conviction overturned. The hot-shot lawyers had screwed up. Milo showed that in court. A new trial was set. Milo did it. He didn't screw up. Dom was out on the street. Milo was set for life, even after taxes (on some of it). That episode ended two years before. Milo kept on with his practice, but shifted even more to appeals. It was nice, clean work that could be done from home, if necessary.

Meanwhile, Mary was moving way up the ladder at her firm. The two of them had kept separate finances since she started out-earning him - a year out of law school. They had a nice house across the river, two kids, and a good life.

Milo and Mary had hit it off right away in law school. They were both quick learners. They also had similar, sarcastic senses of humor. Their banter was often so quick that others missed the point entirely. They were in love. They got married. They had kids. Milo was the main caretaker for the kids now, since his appellate practice allowed him to work from home when needed. They had a reliable service for childcare, when neither parent could be home. That happened a lot when Milo was doing trials. Now, not so much.

Milo had initially had misgivings about Mary. Mary was a ten out of ten. Tall, stacked, dark hair and black eyes. Milo was Milo. He was physically average, although quite fit and athletic. Milo thought that some Adonis would sweep her away. But Mary had overcome his qualms - in bed and out. Milo became quite certain that Mary was as full on in love with him as he was with her.

Until the last year or so. And then the holiday party.

Milo had a tuxedo - a nice one. He wore it to the party. Mary had a very flattering blue gown, slit up the side. She was...glamorous. Milo was Milo. But he cleaned up well.

The party was buffet, with an open bar. When Milo escorted Mary into the room, she was immediately swept up by George Black, a senior partner, and the real power in the D.C. office. Milo followed along, was introduced to a few people, and kept out of the way. Eventually he melted into the crowd and ended up at the bar. He ordered a draft - a local IPA. He was enjoying that when they announced that the buffet was open. Milo made his way over, took a small plate of food and looked for Mary.

He found her sitting at a table with several other lawyers, including George Black. There was a seat across from her and he took it. Mary smiled at him, but it seemed to him to be a strained smile. Milo saw that a youngish fellow was sitting next to Mary. No one bothered to introduce the man. The guy looked like a young Ryan O'Neal, but bigger and stronger. Mary was talking to him, and not to George. Milo struck a conversation with a woman to his right, Vera Cooper. She was an associate at the firm, but in the litigation section. She was engaging, but she kept glancing over at Mary and the guy.

Milo finally asked, "Who is the guy across the table?"

Vera paused. She said, "That's Todd Billings. He works with your wife, I believe."

Milo gave her a searching look. She returned it, saying nothing more. Then she smiled. She said, "He's quite the looker, isn't he?"

"Oh, yes. I'm sure he's the talk of the firm."

"He is. He's single. All the women seem to like him."

"Including you?"

"Me? Well, as they used to say in the old neighborhood, I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers."

Milo laughed out loud, attracting his wife's attention - at last. It was a large, round table and she had to speak loudly to him.

She said, "What's so funny, Milo?"

Milo looked at Vera and said, "Vera's quite amusing." He paused, then said, just as loudly, "Who's your friend over there?" Todd's head jerked up. Mary was smooth, though. She said, "Todd Billings, who works with me."

Milo nodded to Todd, then turned back to Vera. He asked, "Is there something I should know?" This question came in a softer voice. Maybe Mary or Todd could hear. Maybe not.

Vera was on the spot, now. She rose to the occasion, "I'm sure there are many things all of us should know."

Milo smiled. He liked Vera. She was another good-looking woman lawyer who worked at the firm. Milo wondered if all the female hires were as attractive.

Milo saw that the band was about ready to start playing. They'd been setting up for a while. He got up and rounded the table, just as the music started. He held his hand out to Mary, who hesitated only a second before rising to dance with her husband. As he moved out onto the floor, Milo glanced at Todd and saw a man who was annoyed, at the very least.

Both Mary and Milo were good dancers and enjoyed dancing. Milo kept Mary out on the floor for three numbers, two fast and a slow one. As they danced close to each other, Milo asked, in an innocent voice, "Why haven't I heard about the young heartthrob?"

He felt Mary stiffen. She said, "I must have spoken about him. He and I worked together on Knobbs."

"He must be talked about quite a bit at the firm. Vera says he's not married. I bet all the single women are panting after him."

Mary stiffened again. Milo waited. The old Mary - his long-time wife - would have said, 'Not just the single ones." Milo was interested to see a response. And she said almost those exact words - "Not only the single ones."

Milo was perversely reassured. The slow song ended, and he led Mary back to the table. While they were dancing, Todd had asked Vera to dance. Milo saw them on the floor. He was happy for Vera.

Todd and Vera returned. Milo had occupied Todd's seat next to Mary. He saw Todd's annoyed look again. But Todd sat next to Vera. After some small talk, Mary asked Milo to see about desert. Milo rose and went to get her some chocolate cake, as requested. He got himself a piece of lemon meringue pie. When he came back, there was Todd, sitting next to Mary. As he walked up, he had to decide whether to use the desert for something other than eating. Maybe the pie, like in a Three Stooges movie.

Milo saw that Vera was looking with interest as Milo approached with the deserts. Milo reached past Todd's head and set the cake down in front of Mary. Then he said, "My seat, Todd." He had the pie ready, in the palm of his hand, not in his fingers.

Todd looked up at Milo. And he said nothing, just smiled. Milo looked at Vera, and said, "What do you say, Vera, about this asshole?"

Vera said, "Do it!" She knew what Milo had in mind. Milo swung his arm back a bit.

But Mary knew her husband. She leapt up from her seat and interposed herself between the pie and its intended target.

She turned to Todd and said, "I believe Milo has asked for this seat back, Todd."

Todd got up quickly. He brushed by Mary and ran into Milo as he passed by him. Milo was knocked off balance. Or so it seemed to those who were now watching the entire episode. Milo seemed to stumble, and, as he did so, he reached to steady himself by putting his right hand onto Todd's shoulder. Unfortunately, the pie was in that hand. As Milo turned the hand over to grip Todd's shoulder, the pie came loose and hit poor Todd in the cheek. Goop ran down his face, onto his tux.

This froze the two men momentarily and caused a collective gasp from the onlookers. Milo noticed that Vera, unlike the others, was laughing. In that instant he decided that he should maybe get to know her better.

But right then, Milo needed to be alert, having just pied this big young guy. Todd was still frozen in a state of disbelief when Milo picked up Mary's napkin and started patting the pie off Todd's face. He said, "I'm soooo sorry, Todd. I almost fell there when you bumped into me. Please send me a bill for the cleaning."

Todd was backing away from Milo. He picked up another napkin and wiped his face. Waiters scurried up and gave him still another one. Mary pulled Milo away from the scene. Milo noticed that she was not at all amused by the pie event.

Mary led Milo to a far corner of the event. There was a small bar there, with one bartender. Mary ordered a Chardonay. She turned on Milo. She said, "I know you did that on purpose Milo. You were going to pie him before I stood up." Her voice was angry.

Milo replied mildly, "I thought of it as a prophylactic measure. But you stopped me. Still, in the end, he brought it on himself."

Mary tried so hard to suppress a smile. She failed. The band struck up a new tune. Milo extended his arm to her and swept her onto the floor. When they finished three dances, they returned to their table. Todd was not present.

But George was there. He smiled at Mary, and then gave Milo a more intense smile. He said, "Young Todd has left us for the evening. Sadly." But he was still smiling at Milo.

Milo nodded and said, "A small accident. No need for him to leave."

George said, "Accident? Well, perhaps a fortuitous one."

Mary interrupted, "George, Milo was a bit clumsy. That's all."

George walked away, but as he did so, he said, "I wish I could be that clumsy."

Mary and Milo were silent on the Uber ride home. Milo was considering what he might say about the evening, and about Todd. He decided that Mary's apparent anger at him for humiliating Todd was a major tell. So, he kept his mouth shut.

Except, as they were about to pull into the driveway, he chuckled. He said, "You know, that guy Todd. I'm sorry to say that his monicker is the Pied Piper of Hamelin."

Mary was amused and aghast at the same time. Because Todd was laying pipe into her, and Milo seemed to know that.

She said, "Not funny, Milo." But it was funny. And so true.

They slept but didn't engage. The next day Milo called a young woman who worked some of his cases as an investigator, Zill Manning. He made an arrangement for her to meet him at his office late Monday morning.

That weekend was a chilly one at the Greene household. Milo took Mary's lead and didn't speak much. Based upon the party interactions, he was fairly certain that Mary and Todd were....fully engaged. He was ruminating about how to address that. In fact, he was deciding whether he should simply walk away. In his current mood, that was appealing. But, kids and love for his wife caused a pause. Especially his children.

That Monday his meeting with Zill was set for eleven am. Zill was another younger woman who looked up to Milo. Not physically. She was taller than his 5'10". But she'd worked for him on several cases, and the two got along so very well that she had feelings for him. Also, at that time, she was between men.

So, when Milo explained that he had some inklings about Mary and young Todd, Zill had to restrain herself. What she wanted to do was to seduce him right then and there. What she did was go about halfway. No touching. But lots of sympathy and one smoldering look that left little doubt in Milo's mind about what could happen. It also gave him some misgivings about whether Zill's report would be slanted. But he had confidence in her. He sent her off with the task of either confirming or negating his suspicions.

When Zill reached the outer office, she ran into Sara Mason just walking in from the hall. It was a short time after Sara had spoken to Milo about his depression. The two women knew each other through Milo. They were both well aware of the other's attraction to him. And now they were both aware of his possible availability. But neither knew what the other one might know about that particular topic.

It was Sara who first thought about the possibilities. She waved Zill into her office. Zill was curious, and so she followed. She sat down in the client chair and looked at Sara with some interest.

Sara said, "Been to see Milo?"

"Yeah. Just now."

"He was quite depressed this morning. I had a mind to comfort him. Maybe you did, too."

Zill was stymied. But she decided to be direct. She'd usually found that to be the best approach. She said, "Did he discuss why he was depressed?"

"Yes. And with you as well?"

"Yes. I'm to see what's up with Mary." Zill thought maybe she shouldn't have said that. But it was out there now. Anyway, Sara was smart and had likely figured it out as soon as she saw Zill in the office.

Sara said, "Zill, let's just get it all out there. I want him and so do you. If she's screwing a boy toy, both of us will....we'll....try to nail him to some bed."

Zill started to laugh. She said, "Easier for me. I'm as strong as he is, I bet."

Sara thought about that. She said, "I'm not at all sure about what he might...about what might induce him to move outside his marriage. My thought is that...if she's messing him over, we should join forces and take him - both of us to start. We could...well, we could make it difficult for him to refuse."

"Would he want to refuse?" Zill wasn't immune to Sara. She'd been a little bi since high school. The idea of a threesome was titillating for her.

Sara said, "He might want to, intellectually that is. But...if we get him once, we'll have him."

Zill said, "Anyway, he may see it as only fair. But, Sara, I might be in it for the long haul. You, too, right?"

"Yeah. Sure. But first we'd have to loosen him from the bitch."

Zill said, "I won't lie to him. But...seems like she's screwing around. We'll just have to see."

They left it at that.

It took Zill a while to case the law firm, find out which entrances and exits people used, and get some patterns. Mary knew her but had not seen her for some time. Zill kept a low profile and watched the building. On Wednesday at 12:30 pm Mary came out of the building and Todd soon followed. They walked separately for a block, then joined up. They went to a restaurant in an independent hotel near their office. It was an extremely expensive place. Zill watched from the lobby as they had a small lunch. They ate at an inside table. Then they walked into the lobby and took the elevator up. They went to the third floor.

Zill was standing near the concierge desk, which was manned by a young Hispanic fellow. She looked ostentatiously at the elevator and asked the young man, "Those two looked a little odd."

The guy, Ray, smiled and said, "He's young and she's older and she has a ring. They're regulars. She pays."

Zill laughed. She said, "How long will they be up there?" It was 1:15 pm.

Ray said, "They'll come back down around three. They'll look relaxed." He chuckled. But he was bothered, Zill could see.

Zill said, "I really don't approve of that kind of stuff. It's wrong."

Ray frowned. "They pay. I don't like it much, either. But, you know, it's a hotel business."

Zill patted his hand. She said, "These things don't last too long, though."

Ray shook his head. "These two come every Wednesday, for months. Sometimes it's Thursday. But months."

Zill still patted Ray's hand. "Maybe they're in love."

"Nah. They're here for...well...you know. To get off. No love shown that I see."

Zill gave him a sexy smile and said, "I have to be going. Maybe I'll see you around."

Ray laughed. He was a nice-looking guy - big with good hair. He said, "I hope."

Zill wandered into Milo's office soon after. Milo was in court, but due back soon. Sara was in her office. Zill went in.

Sara gave her an inquiring look.

Zill said, "She's at it with the boy-toy."

Sara smiled. Zill gave her some details. Thay had a discussion about strategy. It was decided to wait a day or so before bringing out the big guns. Then they heard the elevator, and Milo walked in.

Zill waved toward his office, and they went in, closed the door. (To Sara's dismay.)

Zill said, "She's screwing the guy at the Mediterranean Hotel. Once a week for some time."

"How do you know?"

Zill described it to him. Milo looked more and more....deflated. Zill said, "I'm sorry, Milo."

Milo was silent for a while, staring out the window. Suddenly he sprang up and started pacing the office. His demeanor was no longer anywhere near sad. He was boiling with rage. Turning red, cussing under his breath.

Zill opened the door and shouted, "Sara. Now!"

That shout caused Milo to pause. When he looked at the door, Sara and Zill were standing there. The women looked at each other. Sara kicked the door shut and they advanced on Milo.

Zill said, "We're here for you, Milo. Both of us. We hate to take advantage, but you need some intervention...now."

demander
demander
1,493 Followers