Star Trek Enterprise Bk. 03 - The War Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Colossal pain in the ass," the captain echoed, laughing once again. "You have no idea" Yes, she could be that. He thought of every argument they shared and knew that the cause of most of them was they were both hard headed and determined, which was not necessarily a bad thing.

"She has suggested things for that warp drive that I swear would blow the seams apart and don't get me started on how she reconfigured the hull plating a couple of years ago at the planet Galorndon Core." Trip said, rubbing his forehead. Archer knew Danaë was more than a little familiar with technology beyond the imagining of anyone of his era. No one knew the warp-5 engine better than Cmdr. Tucker and could well imagine any suggestions she made would have seemed out of the realm of possibility. Trip was far too practical to risk the Enterprise or technology that seemed far-fetched and risky.

"She might have increased our warp capabilities." Archer suggested, knowing inside himself that it undoubtedly would have.

"Yeah and those cybernetic creatures that stole an arctic transport and crew before making a run for the Delta Quadrant might have given us more warp power than a Vulcan cruiser but I wasn't going to risk the ship to find out."

The captain laughed at the analogy and had to agree with his Chief Engineer's decision. It felt good to laugh at something. It was certainly better than the anxiety raging in his heart and head. Trip was always good at distracting him from the turmoil he was dealing with. He would have liked to confide in Cmdr Tucker and tell him everything, but the words wouldn't come, not directly anyway.

"You know, I never had to give any real speeches until we launched this ship. Now they seem to be getting more and more frequent while people back home call me and this crew heroes and try to shake our hands. We're not, we're just people doing what we have to do." His eyes looked off distantly towards the stars in the distance going by his window. "Maybe I don't know what one is. Tomorrow I have to send seven people down to the surface of Cheron and it's the last thing I want to do. I can't lose..."Here Archer stopped realizing he was dangerously close to showing his hand and revealing a deeper truth. "I've never hidden the fact that I'm terrible at good-byes. It's easier if you can avoid them altogether."

"Easier, maybe, but I know you cap', you'd be more disappointed in yourself if you didn't see the team off."

"Do you remember what it was like when we thought we would do nothing more than explore the galaxy?"

"Making history with every lightyear." Trip laughed, remembering a phrase that Archer used to say during those early months in space. The captain laughed too. It seemed woefully naive and more than a little cheesy now.

"Despite all the fighting, I have managed to broaden my horizons, make contact a few times and learned so many things. In the midst of the endless reaches of space I somehow found..." Archer stopped again, his mind picturing a singular moment from eight years before when he stepped into the sickbay and first laid eyes on Danaë Picard. Those wide hazel eyes staring at him in shock before she would call him 'President Archer' then faint. "I found a part of myself I never knew was missing and I'm not sure I can live without." He looked at Trip and could see the warmth and compassion radiating from his friends eyes.

"I know what you mean, cap'," he answered, his own mind picturing a tall statuesque Vulcan science officer with a brown pixie haircut, beautiful delicate features and shapely figure. The relationship between him and T'Pol was complicated to say the least and neither seemed to know how to move forward, but the feelings were there, of that the commander was certain. There were times he could see that the sub-commander wanted to embrace what she felt for him, but the Vulcan in her always won out and so continued the endless stalemate between them.

The two men stared at each other for a moment, the air charged as both desperately wanted to confide in the other and release the frustrations of their hearts. Neither could make that leap. Too many doubts raced through their heads. Archer would only laugh if he knew there was something between T'Pol and I. Trip would be disappointed to know I had broken the rules and engaged in an inappropriate relationship with Lt. D'Arcy. Ultimately neither of them felt strong enough to take that chance and rather than face it decided to distract themselves.

"I wonder what the score is now?" Archer commented, turning his attention back to the game.

"Good question." Trip said, sitting back in his chair. For a moment Archer started to reach for the water polo ball, only to have Trip intervene. "Please don't."

12