Star Trek Enterprise - Fate Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Over the years she had pushed away so many memories of her father, yet now, so far removed from that time they came to her so vividly. Danaë could recall meeting her father, Captain Picard, quite clearly. Counselor Troi had already spoken to her, explaining that her mother had passed away and that she would be going to live with her father. He had sent one of the shuttles to bring her over because he had wanted to give her a little more time to transition and understand where she was going. She tried to imagine what her father looked like and what sort of man he was as she boarded the shuttle. The whole trip she stared out the window at the massive star ship. My father is in command of that, she marveled to herself. Once they had landed in the shuttle bay she was quickly led through the corridors, her hazel eyes took in everything around her. Deanna Troi held her hand and tried to make her feel better by telling her things about the ship. She told her about the other children that she would get to play with and the great activities she would be able to participate in. Stopping at a doorway she heard a man call out 'come' in a deep voice and instantly she was afraid, her small hand shaking. When she entered the room she tried to hide as much as she could behind the counselor. Her heart was pounding as they came around to the front of the desk.

"Captain, may I present Danaë Picard." At the introduction she peeked out slightly from behind Deanna to see her father. To her young eyes he seemed rather old and intimidating, not what she expected. He stared back at her and clearly he was as uncertain about all of this as she was. For his part, he saw a miniature version of Solenne looking back at him.

"She's rather small isn't she?" He asked clearly uncomfortable.

"She is only 4 years old, captain."

"I'm not so little. I'm nearly five." Danaë responded a bit indignantly. His expression changed slightly at her outburst and she quickly hid behind the counselor again.

"I think I will leave you two alone to get acquainted." With that Counselor Troi excused herself and left. How long father and daughter stared at each other was hard to say. It was at least several minutes before either of them spoke.

"Are you really my Pa-pa?" She asked softly as she clutched a well-loved doll in her arms.

"I am."

"Is this going to be my new home?" She continued, her eyes looking around the quarters. It was not as big as the one she shared with her mother, but then the ship was not as big as the Regula Station either. There was a couch and seating area behind her and a dining area over to her right. She could see a bed over to her left sticking out from behind a partition. The one feature she did like was the large windows and the view of space they afforded.

"It is." He answered. "What has your mother told you about me?"

"Only that your name is Jean-Luc and you are a captain. She told me that you are a good man and that you like to look out at the stars and dream like me." She walked around his desk and stood before him. "Did you love Ma-ma?" She asked suddenly.

"I did, very much." He answered softly.

"She's not coming back, is she?" Her face grew long and sad at the thought.

"No, she is not coming back." To his surprise she began to climb up onto his lap. Being small she had some difficulty but he carefully helped her. Once settled she reached out with her small cherub like hands and began to touch his face as her curious eyes studied him. Once satisfied she laid her head against his shoulder as he carefully stroked her curls and held her.

Sitting there in the guest quarters of the NX-01 Danaë thought about how far away it all seemed, like a completely different life. She replayed the message from her father at least a dozen times. He seemed so confidant in her future and all she would accomplish. She wished she shared his certainty. To be a member of this crew was tantamount to hacking it out in the wilderness with your own two hands. Starfleet was there, but there was little they could do since there was no Federation or alliances to call upon. True, the Vulcan's were there, but it didn't sound like they were eager to help. To be a true pioneer . . . now that would be quite an adventure.

"You've been right all along father, I cannot resist what the fates have imposed." Recalling how her father had played the small flute, she carefully placed it to her lips, then placing her fingers over the holes, began to blow. A high pitched noted was emitted to her satisfaction. She continued to change the finger combinations, learning each of the notes. She continued to play until she could no longer keep her eyes open and fell asleep.

12