Starlight Gleaming Ch. 21 Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rather than being alarmed at her growing powers, I was comforted by them and by her.

We grinned at each other as we cleaned our groins and rinsed. She turned off the water as I stepped out.

She suddenly pouted. "Oh, shoot! I was going to wash your back. You distracted me with your winsome ways!"

"It's okay, Calia," I said, chuckling, handing her a towel for her hair and another one to dry with. "You take care of all of us really well. I liked giving you some personal attention. Besides, if I distracted you that much, I must have been doing something right."

She gave me a serious look. "Remind me to thank the woman who taught you how to make love because she did an excellent job." Then she snapped her fingers. "Oh, wait! That was me!"

We both laughed as I took a towel for myself.

* * * * *

Part 2 -- Negotiations

* * * * *

Izel stood naked in the doorway, watching us exit the shower. Her long dark hair hung loosely and slightly tangled, bereft of the fancy ribbons, precious stones, and carved beads that had adorned her intricate hair styling the day before.

Calia and I stood naked as we dried ourselves.

I gave Izel a short nod by way of greeting.

Once I had my back and legs dry, I slowly turned around. As her charms were already on display, it seemed only fair that she get a look to see what I had to offer her in return. So after I hung up the towel to dry, I paused to allow her a good look.

By her reaction -- she licked her lower lip and her eyes dilated -- she apparently liked what she saw.

This older woman was a stranger to me, and after the bluster of her arrival followed by the chaos of the nearly successful assassination, I still knew next to nothing about her -- other than the fact that she wanted to marry me to avoid being forced into a marriage she objected to. In return, she had offered her loyalty and access to unspecified wealth and power.

The latter two benefits were what Janetta wanted. Calia had not explained her reasons, but her instant agreement that I should accept pretty much sealed the deal for me.

I should have spent at least part of the previous night researching what I could about the woman. However, I'd been exhausted by the time I finally laid my head on my pillow. The round trip to Sugarland, the assassination attempt, Nariya having her baby, grabbing some dinner, squeezing in some quality time with Ixma and my daughters, and then giving Janetta and Zinja massages to help ease their discomfort. I could have taken a dozen stim-tabs and I don't think I could have kept my eyes open a second longer.

Well, to be honest, I'd had nothing to do with the baby. That was totally Wit and Nariya's doing. I might have been there when he was made, but that didn't count because I was busy at the time myself.

Even though it had added to the overall night's chaos, I couldn't get over how cute little Daydo was, with his squinting eyes, little black strands of hair on his mostly bald head, those little puffy cheeks, and his super tiny fingers. Oh, my gosh, they were so tiny! I knew humans are wired to see those droopy cheeks and melt inside. I had to admit, those cheeks worked pretty damn well.

Wit and Nariya had had a rough go of things. It was nice to see them both so happy. No, happy was too sedate. Ecstatic was closer to the mark, with a healthy dose of pride and wonder and love all thrown in together.

As for Izel, even though I planned to marry her, I considered doing a background check once I was at work. If for nothing else, getting a list of the players because of her becoming a part of this family would be helpful.

Izel's eyes roved over me.

I was fit enough, but my muscles never showed clearly defined forms like some men are naturally able to do.

The woman was a beauty, no question. She had smooth skin and her face was both symmetrical and feminine. She was Zinja's age or maybe even a tad older, yet her breasts rode high, her rear was smooth and firm, legs were toned, and her skin was tight and smooth. Of all the women in my household, only Janetta was more beautiful.

But those are all physical details. Zinja, Ixma, Cholan, and Calia were each beautiful in their own way. Maybe because I was a man, I found that women had an intrinsic loveliness by simply being women. With the exception of Janetta, Izel might be more beautiful and more refined than my other lovers, but the joy in sharing the union of our bodies together was only part of it; it was their hearts and their personalities that made it love and not mere affection or simple lust. I knew I wanted to grow old with each of them by my side. Indeed, I couldn't imagine any of them not being in my life. Whatever happened, I would protect them, love them, and do my level best to make each of them happy.

It had only been little more than a year, but we had a lot of shared history together. And kids, too, with more being planned. Izel, on the other hand, while beautiful, was an unknown. She might be charming and funny and a good woman yet we might not be able to stand living together. What then?

Something must have flashed across my face because Izel suddenly looked unsure.

Pushing past memories aside, I walked over to the sink. After a quick combing of my short, wet hair, I lathered up and began to shave.

As if finally becoming aware of herself, Izel stepped fully into the room, turning to Calia. "You're his Personal Servant, aren't you. I remember the attack yesterday. It was only yesterday, wasn't it? Good. You attended my wound, and then you caught me as I fell."

From the mirror, I saw Calia put up her towel on the rack to dry. "Yes, to all your questions."

Izel briefly examined the mostly absorbed Nu-skin patch on her lower forearm. "Since we are here and not at a clinic or the hospital, you were obviously able to handle what happened. First, I wish to express my sincere thanks for saving my life.

"However, some things trouble me. I've been injured before, and this wound feels different. My arm was opened about five or six inches. It should ache from the laceration, yet it feels perfectly fine. In fact, there's no pain at all. You will tell me what happened after I passed out, and I demand that you leave nothing out."

Calia paused while she dried her hair, giving me a glance. Then she faced Izel. "Isn't it enough that you are alive and hale? You were taken to the master suite as an honored guest, Lady Izel. You shared my master's bed, where you slept through the night, safe and undisturbed while you recovered from your injury."

Izel just stared at her.

As Calia hung up the second towel, I reached over to the spare brush she kept stored next to my things in the bathroom, and as she approached me, I handed it to her.

She smiled briefly at me, then faced Izel again. "Very well. After you were cut, the apostate priestess was stunned and subdued, then taken outside. I'm sure you were unaware that she carried a bomb inside her body. The stun beam triggered a timer on the bomb. Once the guards tossed her onto the front lawn, she blew up. Trooper Cawbos described it as 'one bloody, fucking, gods-awful mess.' Had that woman blown up inside the house, serious injuries would likely have been the result, not to mention the huge mess to clean up afterward."

I blinked at that and nicked myself. It wasn't bad, so I ignored it and resumed shaving. Calia's words made me think over my own recollection. I'd been at the edge of the dining area and Cawbos had stood beside the cruiser parked by the street. Cawbos had spoken loudly, but at that distance, I'd barely heard him. I had thought Calia fully absorbed with healing Izel. More, the wall of the foyer should have deflected the sounds, further limiting the ability of anyone in the kitchen to hear the trooper's words.

Maybe the healing process made her more aware of what was going on around her?

Calia sectioned off some hair and began brushing out the long strands. "The knife that the priestess used on you was coated with nauyaca venom. I see you are aware of how deadly that is. Since you came here seeking my lord's protection, I assumed you wanted to live. Terra and the captain applied a tourniquet, which kept the poison confined to your lower arm, making it easier for me. I was able to neutralize the poison, but the effort left me exhausted. I barely remember my lord carrying me upstairs. The captain herself carried you, and we were placed in bed side by side. You crawled into my arms, and there you spent the night, safe and sound."

Based on what Ixma said, Calia had been easing Nariya's pain throughout the day. It explained why my friend had been worn out by the healing. However, her abilities also seemed to be growing. Maybe, like muscles, they grew stronger with use?

Calia set the brush down in its usual place, her hand lightly caressing my shoulder before moving to face the noblewoman's questioning. "You are a beautiful woman, Lady Izel. However, when you arrived, you were afraid for your life, and even with your beauty, your exhaustion was apparent to me. A good night's sleep has not only helped you heal but has also erased some of the worry lines from your face."

She briefly scrutinized Izel's face, then nodded in approval. "If I may be so bold, I would recommend more rest as you are able. A few days of uninterrupted, restful sleep will go far in making you feel good as new."

Izel took a breath, then narrowed her gaze. "I will take your advice into consideration. I guess it was fortunate that you have nauyaca anti-venom here. But you don't, do you. Why would you? This isn't even a part of the world where those serpents normally inhabit. I'm also curious as to how you knew it was poisoned and what kind it was."

Calia replied, "I knew about the poison the same way I knew about her intention to kill you. The same way that I knew you the instant I saw you that you were a good woman in serious trouble and needed our help and my lord's protection. As for healing, I am fortunate to have some small skills. Your own desire to live played a large part in the speed of your recovery."

I had paused and thus managed to avoid a second nick.

The noblewoman stared at Calia for several long seconds, then dropped her gaze. "I am well acquainted with nauyaca vipers and their venom. By your modesty, you apparently prefer anonymity rather than fame, though I daresay if you continue to do more such acts of healing, your gift will not remain a secret much longer. My logical mind demands proof for all your claims, but from what I see in your eyes, I believe everything you've told me is the simple truth. I will respect your wishes. The fact remains I would have died without your help and both of us know it. You serve Lord Kandikan, but you have earned my personal gratitude. If you wish a boon, I pledge to honor any reasonable request as I am able. I'm currently at a disadvantage, but I expect -- or rather hope that will turn around soon."

Giving her a friendly smile, Calia added, "Terra and the captain also helped render aid to you, and did so without thought of reward. Still, if you are truly set on granting me a boon, then all I ask for is your friendship, Lady Izel. In return, I offer you mine. I am but a Personal Servant, but my master values me and my counsel. You came seeking protection by joining my lord's household. Being friends would be a good thing for us both. Besides, I think you are in need of good friends. Especially right now."

Startled, Izel glanced at me, then nodded thoughtfully. "Indeed, you are bold. And intelligent as well."

Calia gave a partial bow. "You're too kind, Lady Izel."

Izel snorted. "Knowing a skilled healer is always useful, and being friends with one would seem to be even more prudent, especially considering last night's events. Your ability to read others, too, intrigues me greatly. You may address me in private by my first name. And you're right. I do have a need for good friends. However, what I need most is a strong husband to protect me from my enemies, foremost among them my own brother."

Calia smiled kindly. "I am honored and look forward to you and I becoming friends, Izel. Welcome to House Kandikan."

Izel shook her head. "So much was happening when I arrived... I recall now. Your name's Calia. Funny how it just came to me. I find myself in the same state as when I crossed the threshold. You said I slept with you last night?"

"I did say, and you did," Calia answered carefully.

I rinsed off the razor, adding, "Concerned for your recovery, we put you into our bed. Because Calia was worn out, I laid her down beside you. That way, if either of you had needed assistance during the night, I was right there to help. You scooted right into her arms, embracing her in your sleep. When I checked this morning, you were still there. You seemed determined to keep her close."

More surprise crossed Izel's face. "I see. I saw the Air Service captain and the other woman still in bed asleep. Calia? Do you normally sleep in the same bed as your lord?"

Calia gave me a wistful smile before answering. "Whenever and as often I can. However, my lord was away for many months and has only returned this spring. During his absence, Ixma and I took to sleeping with his children to reassure them and to ease their night terrors, and usually sleep with them. However, if I'm needed, I do provide comfort and sleep in other beds. Last night, you needed me more than they did."

"Remarkable," Izel commented. "I must admit, that was the most restful sleep I've had in weeks."

I turned around, wiping my face clean with the wet washcloth. "I'm pleased you slept well, and are feeling better this morning."

"I am quite impressed by the hospitality I've received thus far, Lord Kandikan. Please don't take this amiss, but you appear quite youthful. I'm told you are just past twenty, yet you are already a full commander. I also notice your daughters are remarkably well grown."

I leaned my rear against the counter. "Your information is good. I turned twenty-three a few months ago. Sisi is six and Mina is four. Do you find that children grow incredibly fast?"

"Indeed!" she exclaimed, refusing to meet my eyes.

I knew what she thought, that I had must have begun breeding Zinja as soon as I was able to get my pubescent cock hard, and once that was done, I next bred Ixma. Well, too many people like to think the worst. I was tired of explaining my daughters were adopted, and it wasn't really anyone else's business. I'd come to realize that each time I piped up and said they were adopted, I verbally implied that Sisi and Mina weren't really mine because I emphasized their special circumstances. Anyone who mattered already knew the situation. Everyone else could take a flying leap. I didn't care who sired them. What mattered was those girls were my kids. Mine. Full stop.

Janetta entered the room, moving quickly to the toilet. Lifting the lid, she pushed down her shorts, sat with a sigh and let loose. I noticed the red-stained pad lying in the gusset.

Without a word, Calia reached behind me into a cabinet, quickly extracted some items, and moved to Janetta. As Janetta lifted her head to speak, Calia set the desired items on the nearby shelf within her reach.

"Thanks," Janetta mumbled.

"Happy to help, Captain." Calia moved to stand near me and started braiding her hair.

Izel took that in before speaking again. "Lord Kandikan, have you thought about my marriage request?"

This Nahua noblewoman had steady confidence, and I suspected that when left to her own devices, she was both strong and determined enough to see that things were done to her personal satisfaction. Maybe there was some truth to the reputation of Nahua women having more fire in their hearts than other women. However, even if she was, she was also conditioned by her upbringing and culture to submit to the wishes of the men around her. Hence her current predicament.

While I had decided to accept the advice from Janetta and Calia, there were things I needed to make clear to Izel before we proceeded any further.

"Yes, Izel, I've thought about it. To be honest, I was initially opposed to--"

"Please, Lord!" she exclaimed, taking a step closer to me in her alarm. "I beg you to reconsider! I'm desperate. Six days ago I was compelled back to my ancestral estates on a pretext of a dire family urgency requiring my presence. Immediately upon my arrival, however, I was forcibly confined to my old rooms at the main estate, my movements curtailed, and even outside communication forbidden to me. My brother, Kirfan, informed me that a new husband had been secured, and in a matter of days, I was to be remarried. I was a widow, and by custom, I'm allowed a year to grieve before even considering remarriage. He informed me I was to remain under his custody until the marriage ceremony was completed. Not only was I not even consulted, but I was also appalled by the man my brother picked. This man has a reputation for being cruel to his women servants who are compelled to his bed. Worse, there are rumors he's tied to the criminal caste. Kirfan laughed at my protests, telling me I should be grateful due to the scandalous circumstances of my becoming a widow! When I slapped him, he stopped laughing and I was... punished."

Her eyes turned bitter and desperate. "I never loved the general, but I did my duty as his wife, and I remained faithful even as he was not. After more than twenty years of loyalty, I should have been allowed to live the rest of my life as I wished. Fortunately, I bribed a servant and managed to get an outside link. Those I managed to reach were unwilling to interfere in what they said was a family matter and none of their concern. The only one who spoke to me with a sympathetic ear suggested I seek you out. You are unmarried, Lord Kandikan. Please, let me become your wife!"

I frowned. "You did not need to go to these extremes. I am a security officer in the Imperial Air Service. I protect people all the time without expectation of reward from those we aid. I can and will protect you without the necessity of marriage, Lady Izel."

"You do not know my brother," she replied. "I suspect part of his deal was an infusion of cash in return for obtaining me in marriage -- one I had no say in and never should have been arranged. Kirfan seems to have a red finger when it comes to making investments. As long as I remain unmarried, I believe my brother will seek to abduct me and enforce his will. I'd... rather not endure any more of his punishments again."

Calia gave her a sympathetic look, her hand lifting, nearly reaching out.

Janetta finished adjusting her shorts, then flushed the toilet. She walked over to the open sink between Izel and me and washed her hands. After drying them, she turned around, leaning against the counter next to me. "If not for your brother's actions, would you have remained at Cuzco?"

Izel lowered her eyes as she nodded. "Yes, I would have remained. I had work that occupied my time, providing some satisfaction, and I was left largely to my own devices. If I return to Court, my brother's men will simply take me and carry me off. The one friend I have was constrained by her oaths from intervening without Imperial permission, and it was she who sent me here to you, Lord Kandikan. She told me that he is a man who gets things done."

"Who says these things?" Janetta demanded.

"I'm sure you're aware of the Black Orchid, Commander of Imperial Security? She mentioned Lord Kandikan last summer."

Janetta said, "Explain that statement as well."

I was curious, too.

Izel nodded. "The Empress likes to watch video dramas. The Vengeful Hand of the Emperor is one of her favorite shows. I know she and the commander met at least once in person, and the Empress was impressed with her. Rumor is they sometimes exchanged correspondence. Her Majesty said she could tell there were at least three different women playing Black Orchid in the dramas, based on their voices and mannerisms, even from a distance. The woman she met in person, however, was her favorite, and she would re-watch certain episodes, with those of her household sometimes keeping her company.