Starlight Gleaming Ch. 21 Pt. 02

Story Info
Relatives, criminals, and Atlanteans.
36.2k words
4.9
9.7k
27

Part 22 of the 27 part series

Updated 02/11/2024
Created 01/29/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
TJSkywind
TJSkywind
988 Followers

Thanks to TerrytheTraveler and my new reader StoshB for lending a hand with catching errors. Any gaffs, typos, dropped words, usage errors, omissions, commissions, permissions, WTFs and OMGs are totally my fault. Enjoy!

Summary

This installment takes place immediately following the previous one.

The Nahua noblewoman, Lady Izel of Ocotépan, widow of the disgraced former Base Commandant of High Guard War Base, had recently been a prisoner of her older brother, Lord Kirfan of Tenochta. After only a month as a widow, Kirfan had tricked his sister to come to the family estates, not knowing Kirfan had arranged for her to marry his new business partner and ally, Garan Baylocs'mec of neighboring Chohinze State. Garan is an ally of Minister Supay. Izel despises Garan and fears Supay. During her week of captivity, compounding his betrayal, Kirfan forcefully attempted to put his child in her prior to the planned forced marriage to Garan.

With the aid of her men-at-arms, she escapes with a few servants and some possessions. With no one else to turn to, on the recommendation of her friend Captain Abeeya Tscotchi, Izel flees to High Guard War Base to seek out and marry Ranji Kandikan and thereby escape her brother and Garan's clutches. After nearly succumbing to Supay's double-assassination attempt (poison with a bomb chaser), Izel survives. At the urging of both Janetta and Calia, Ranji is persuaded to marry Izel, but he insists on a legal marriage and not using the old traditional rules. A temple is found, a marriage is hastily arranged, and per Imperial law, it's consummated at the temple.

The wedding party and Xiao, the High Priestess to the Temple of the Jade Goddess, have just exited the temple doors.

Relatives, criminals, and Atlanteans

* * * * *

Part 8 -- Surprise Reception

* * * * *

As we stepped out into the afternoon sun, led by priestess Xiao, we found General Barankoshto in her Class A uniform on the landing waiting for us. Beside her was her XO, Commander Helots Merkan, Group Captain Exham Terkouri, the Watch Commander for Ground Security's day shift, and last but not least was the general's aide and driver, Second Sergeant Barris Tarakansotl. Behind them were two heavily armored Ground Security troopers. Like Mack and Akama, the troopers carried Starkline-9 shields.

Arrayed on both sides of the steps before us was an Honor Guard. On the right side was a platoon of Air Security in their cyan and dark blue finery, and on the left was a matching platoon of Ground Security in their bronze and brown uniforms, both sets of troopers wearing white gloves and armed with long swords.

Out in the lawn and into the parking lot were another two full platoons of Air and Ground Security troopers. Oddly, there was also a platoon from the Marine Service present, smartly dressed in their bronze-colored shirts, navy-blue trousers with their black-and-gold peaked caps. Then I saw Lieutenant Mansawa Terapan take a step forward at the front of the marines. I smiled at him in recognition.

Priestess Xiao raised her hands, and all the troops snapped to attention. "Greetings, one and all! I have the great pleasure to introduce to you Lord Ranji Kandikan, Commander, Imperial Air Service, 602 Air Security Regiment. Acting as his best man, Captain Doyya Lovyanchiti, Imperial Air Service. Acting as warrior maiden, Captain Janetta Tlacotli. With Lord Kandikan is his new wife, Izel Kandikan, Lady Ocotépan of Nahua State. The Temple of the Jade Goddess wishes them good fortune, great happiness, and many, many children in their coming years!"

The women shot glances at the priestess with varying reactions to her words, but she just grinned back at them.

The general barked out, "Honor Guard, attention! Draw swords! Form arch!"

The men and women moved in perfect concert. They drew their swords and formed an overhead arch of glittering steel over the steps leading away from the temple.

The troopers in the parking lot shouted, "Kandikan! Kandikan! Kandikan! Hurrah!" Then they broke into cheers, tossing their hats into the air.

Izel and the others grinned at their actions.

Leaning over, I quietly said, "General Barankoshto, I'm overwhelmed that you are here. This is an unexpected surprise."

She raised her eyebrows at me. "Are you kidding? You are the father of the children who made that wonderful card for me. Besides, you are considered to be something of an item, Commander."

"The general had the card framed and it's beside all her other many awards," Barris volunteered with a smile.

"Quiet, Barris!" General Barankoshto said without any heat.

"Yes, General." Barris kept on smiling.

I shook hands with each of them, including Barris, which both surprised and pleased both the general and her sergeant. If her relationship to the general was like mine with Sowitwee, though divided by class and grade, the women were friends.

Izel also greeted the general and her party. "Thank you for coming, Commander Merkan. Captain Terkouri, do you know my husband from work? It was kind of you to come today."

Then Izel marveled over the general's rank. "Lady Barankoshto, I didn't know you had been promoted! And to the rank of Field General! I am so pleased for you, and it is so well-deserved. Please forgive us, we're still working on integrating our two households and we are quite crowded at the moment. However, perhaps we can have dinner at the Officers' Club sometime soon so that we can have a chance to catch up? You are welcome to join us as well, Commander Merkan and Captain Terkouri, if your schedule permits. And, of course, your charming aide is welcome, General, and as well as any guests you wish to include. I will extend the invitation to General Rikoletsi and his lovely wife myself. We shall host, of course."

The general gave a short bow. "I'd like that, Lady Izel. I'll see if I can get my Exec and his wife to attend, too." Turning to her aide, she said, "Barris, make it happen."

"Certainly, General." Barris winked at Chita and Chita winked back. Terkouri and Doyya both chuckled at the exchange.

Unexpectedly, the general repaid my courtesy by acknowledging Chita, Zinja, and Sowitwee. She finished off with a crisp nod to our bodyguards, Mack and Akama. My three guests followed the brief handshake with a crisp salute, which the general returned with a pleased look.

Like the general's own guards, Akama and Mack weren't expected to pay attention to such courtesies. Indeed, as the greetings completed, Akama moved to the front while Mack moved to the rear guard position. Dropping her helmet and carrying her shield, Akama led the way forward through the arch of swords. Izel and I followed. Behind us came Janetta and Doyya, their task to ensure the wedding, then came Chita and Zinja, followed by Sowitwee and Mack bringing up the rear.

After we descended the steps and exited the arch, the general called out, "Arch Detail, recover arms by the count! One, two, three, four! Attention!"

The Honor Guard first returned their swords to the front carry position, dropped their arms position to the belt-line, inserted the sword tips into the scabbard, sheathed their blades, and then returned to attention.

"Arch Detail, return to formation," the general ordered. The Honor Guard formed a column of two and rapidly descended the steps. The general and her staff followed them down.

In the parking lot, the Honor Guard troopers reformed at the rear of their respective units. Terkouri followed them, smiled as he chatted briefly with the Ground Security officers, but then he walked to his own vehicle and departed. This was past his shift, and Terkouri had his own wife and family at home. It was nice that he came by, especially considering how little notice I'd given everyone.

Nearby, a handful of enlisted in Navy whites and civilians scooted nervously around the edges, trying to enter the temple and unsure if they should acknowledge all the brass outside their own service in their way. Priestess Xiao waved at them, calling out, "Come on, come on! They're done, you're next. Don't be bashful! The Jade Goddess welcomes you to Her temple!"

Leaning over to Doyya, I quietly said, "Could you enquire as to whether Lord Kirfan and his party have arrived yet?"

"Mack?" Doyya said. "Let me borrow your radio."

Moving closer, she handed over the radio microphone, and Doyya called Dispatch. She was routed to the Main Gate.

"Lovyanchiti here. Any news on the expected arrival of Lord Kirfan of Nahua?"

"Yes, Captain, the advance party for Lord Kirfan is here making inquiries about quarters. We've been ordered not to discuss Lady Ocotépan or her whereabouts without the express and direct say-so of Commander Kandikan. Do you have any other special instructions?"

"General Barankoshto is with us right now. We're discussing the matter," Doyya replied and released the send key.

"Acknowledged."

The general looked at me. "The question is, Commander, what you want to happen?"

I blinked, then asked, "What do you mean, General?"

"Lord Kandikan, you are not alone here. You have allies. Seven hells, man, if it came down to it, you'd probably have the whole damn war base behind you! More to the point, Commander, we have become aware of Lady Ocotépan's plight and her current relationship -- or lack thereof -- to her brother. And frankly, the Base Commandant and I are damned tired of people coming onto our turf and inciting discord, lining their pockets, and either trying to kill our children or shoot Imperial forces with the assumption of impunity! If you don't want your new brother-in-law to step foot onto this war base, then say so and with our blessing, we will refuse him entry."

Both Janetta and Doyya looked at General Barankoshto and then to me, taking in the news. The others were more visibly astonished.

I took a breath myself to absorb her words. "I appreciate your gracious support, General. Thank you. As much as I'd like to deny him entry, I need to let him know where we stand, and for him to know what a bad idea it is to pursue this matter further. If I send him away now, he'll just lie in wait to do his mischief later. I don't want that hanging out there."

The general nodded. "I understand. He has a registered champion that he uses to fight his duels, and he's been undefeated for the last six years. Kirfan will probably issue you a challenge by his proxy."

"I see. Well, if he does so, then I will meet him and his champion both. Though I'll try not to, I might have to kill them both. If it comes to that, what is the position of you and General Rikoletsi?"

"Pending your okay for his entry, the Base Commandant has ordered that Lord Kirfan and his retinue be accompanied at all times. I have a full company of eager men and women ready to keep them on the straight and narrow while they're here. Once we knew of his impending arrival, the War Minister was contacted. The Minister has expressed his desire that there be no incidents but also said that he understood that family matters can sometimes become volatile. He was emphatic that High Guard War Base is Imperial territory, and that above all we are to enforce the Emperor's Peace. The Base Commandant is the sovereign ranking lord here, not Lord Kirfan. Therefore, you have a free hand, Commander. We trust your judgment."

"I see," I answered. "Thank you."

"Our intel is that Kirfan's champion is a rather large man who goes by the name Oceotl."

"That's Nahuatl for Jaguar."

"There's more," she said. "He's six-two, and weighs about three-twenty. He fights in the Bear School style and is known to be able to take a lot of punishment. He usually kills his opponents while those who survive are badly injured. If you and his proxy duel, there isn't much we can do other than to ensure the fight is fair. We will check for hidden weapons and for poisons. We do not wish a repeat of last time. Commander Kandikan, if by chance he kills you, you have my word that Lady Ocotépan and the rest of your Household will be protected, including providing armed escort to your parents' estate for your civilian family members."

"The word of the Iron Lady is a gift to be treasured," I replied.

She gave me a wry grin. "You just got married, Commander. Save your honied words for your new bride."

I bowed my head contritely. "Forgive me, Lady General Barankoshto. I meant no disrespect. I only wished to acknowledge you as a warrior whose word is her bond."

"So noted. Just remember, because you are a man, your marriage today doesn't remove you from being the hottest male officer at High Guard. What? You don't think I kept up with such things? I'm not always in a tank, Commander."

She shook her head at me as she continued. "Some women will even see your marriage as making you even hotter. I like you a great deal, Commander, and if circumstances were different and I were to be honest, I'd express my own interest. But since you already have commitments and I don't like to share, we'll leave it at that."

And with that, General Barankoshto strode off, her staff and guards on her heels. They quickly entered her vehicle and drove off.

The women stared at each other, then they all homed in on me.

"Holy fuck!" Doyya whispered. "Did she just say what I thought she said?"

"Husband, I do believe you have the lady general's attention. I've never thought about it, but I suppose most men would be unhappy with a wife who was a career officer, limiting her options to find a satisfactory partner," Izel commented, then looked thoughtfully at Janetta.

Janetta, however, stared at me, scowling. "You heard her, Kandikan. She doesn't play well with others. Do not go dipping your wick in her notch."

"Don't get upset, Captain," Zinja said. "She might want him, but you already have him in your bed. Oh, and of course you, too, Lady Izel."

My warrior lover still stared at me.

I said, "Really? After all my words to you and what we've gone through together, that's what you're going with?"

Janetta grumbled and looked away.

"Are you still there, Captain?" came from the radio.

Both Mack and Doyya jumped but quickly recovered.

Doyya depressed the send key and spoke. "Let them onto the war base per my authorization, Captain Doyya Lovyanchiti, Second in Command, 602 Air Security Regiment. Your other orders are unchanged. If they want to speak to Commander Kandikan, contact Dispatch and Dispatch will contact the Commander. No one is to provide directions or to discuss him or Lady Ocotépan with Lord Kirfan or any of his staff. Is that understood?"

"Orders confirmed, Captain. Already so instructed by Base Commandant. Permission for Lord Kirfan and his party to enter High Guard War Base acknowledged. Confirmed, all communication inquiries to be routed to Dispatch. Main Gate clear."

Mack collected the mic and returned it to its holding clip.

Stepping forward, Izel and I exchanged pleasantries with the platoon officers, including Lieutenant Terapan. Of course, I also recognized the two officers in charge of the Air Security, Lieutenants Durie and Marcotl, and I introduced both of us to the Ground Security officers. I asked each of them to provide a list of their volunteers, and the five officers assured me they would do so.

Being on a wedding detail for an officer was a coveted duty because it was custom to receive a gift from the groom after the fact. I figured a twenty-credit voucher and a case of millet beer would go over well. But then I thought I should ask Jay or Pen about it beforehand. I didn't want to do too much, but I didn't want to stint either. After all, how often does one get married?

"Shall we go out for some drinks or dinner, my treat?" I asked. "I'd suggest the Officers' Club, but they wouldn't let in our enlisted friends, and going there without our friends would be rude."

Janetta shook her head. "I took six blockers earlier. I don't want to be out when they wear off. Zinja?"

"I'm with you, Captain. I want to go home, have a quiet dinner, and if you don't mind, I'll have another hot soak in the tub tonight."

"Deal," my warrior answered.

"Wit?" I asked. I was concerned about Janetta having to take six pills to help her deal with the pain. Then I wondered if Zinja was also that bad.

"I'll go home with the captain, sir. I've got the flash drive with the pictures, so I'll make arrangements for them to get printed on good paper and suggest some frames for you and Lady Kandikan to review later."

I smiled at him. "And, no doubt you are anxious to check on your brand new son, too."

Looking a little sheepish, he nodded.

"Nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about, Wit. He's only been here for a day. It's natural for you and Nariya to be sensitive about how he's doing. Go and enjoy the rest of your evening. Doyya?"

"I want to have dinner with you, yet the guilty part of me says I need to get back because it's my shift. But maybe I should go after all. Just to make sure nothing goes wrong."

I raised my eyebrows at her.

"Things seem to happen around you, Commander. That's all I meant."

"No, you're doing just fine," Janetta interjected. "And damn it, you're right. He's a good man, but he's also a fucking trouble magnet." Then she glared at me. "I must be out of it because I almost thought you were going to have a quiet snack and then come home. She's right. You get into trouble, especially when I'm not around. If you run into what's-his-face, what are you going to do?"

"Talk. Tell him he's not welcome and that his sister is now and forever out of his reach. Izel is now a part of House Kandikan. Even if something happens to me and she remarries someone else, my family will still protect her."

"What?" Izel said, stunned.

"It's what Kandikan men do," I told her. "We protect our women. You are mine now, Izel. It doesn't mean I own you. But it does mean your welfare is my concern. Even if you choose to live elsewhere, I will do my best to keep you safe. I made a promise to you and I intend to keep it."

"And if he challenges you?" Janetta persisted. "What will you do then?"

Sighing, I gave a noncommittal shrug. "Fight him, if I have to."

"Fuck that noise. I'm keeping you in my sight." Janetta glared at me. "Go home, Zinja. Take Sowitwee with you, and no, you aren't staying, Sergeant. Either one of you. Zinja, the others will want to hear how things went, and as for you, I know you're his man, but your officer also just told you to go home and be with your newborn son. Even I know those moments slip away all too fast. Your son needs to get to know you. You proved you can kick ass in the temple. There will be other days and other battles. Now show you can follow orders. Zinja? You drive."

Unhappy, Zinja nodded. "Yes, Captain."

"Wait," said Mack. "You can't leave yet. You need your escort. They're almost done changing, Captain."

While we'd been talking, six tortoises had pulled up along the edge of the parking lot and the combined platoons of security troopers were changing out of their parade dress and into their Class B work uniforms -- right there in the street.

Then I noticed that Corporals Haytam and Cooma were already approaching to relieve Mack and Akama. Once again they had stayed later than their designated shift. I'm positive that if I said something, both women would protest that I'd already done more than they could ever repay, even with Akama nearly dying to protect me. But I'd do it anyway. Loyalty is best repaid with giving back both gratitude and loyalty in return. And guiltily, I thought of Tambo and Shima who waited for the mommas to come home.

TJSkywind
TJSkywind
988 Followers