Starlight Gleaming Ch. 21 Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nodding, I took in her suggestions. "Those are really good ideas."

"The voice of experience," Izel said sadly. "If you need ideas, I'd be happy to help."

I shrugged, leaning my butt up against a large display table. "Okay, Lady Kandikan, why not? Here's a problem that's been vexing me for almost two months. High Guard has a finite amount of space, and we have between fifty-three and fifty-five thousand people here. Even with losing over forty-five hundred last year due to executions and their families leaving. Crowding is becoming an issue. The 67th Armored Division defends the land, the 116th and 233rd Tactical Wings defend the air, and the Naval and Marine Services ensure an Imperial presence on the seas with the Naval Repair Yard and the Submarine Pens.

"Living space is just one issue. Imperial regulations prevent the majority of structures on the war base from being too high, and we can't easily go underground because of the physical environment. Most of High Guard is built on limestone, which tends to be porous, making underground structures extremely expensive and time-consuming to build. Now I put the problem to you, Analyst. We have two schools here for dependents. Both of them are huge, but they can't expand anymore because there's no room. The primary school has over thirty-five hundred students. The secondary school is double that, and both schools have waiting lists of hundreds of kids wanting an education. Do you have any suggestions?"

Izel looked at me with pity for a moment, then shook her head. "When the sun goes down, does Air Security shut off the lights and go home? No. A second shift comes on. And when they're done, a third shift comes on. Add a second shift for the schools instead of trying to crowd all of them in during one arbitrary time-slot that's merely convenient for the teachers and staff.

"You will have to give up some space for the added student lockers," she added. "And there will need to be spacing changes to allow for two teachers to use the same classroom, but the amount of space lost will be more than offset by reducing class sizes and taking in those on the waiting list. Another consideration would be having the students match the shift of their working parent so that they can more easily spend time together -- as families should. That should also improve morale and testing scores for some students, too."

I blinked, then stood. "Holy shit, Izel. You're a genius!"

"That was easy, Ranji." She laughed, then turned her attention to a different display table.

Keeping up with her as she moved, I got on the phone, excited. The Base Commandant was busy, and his admin was swamped, saying if it wasn't a dire emergency, asking me to call back after fourteen hundred hours as there were back-to-back meetings in progress.

So I called General Barankoshto. It took a few minutes, but I did manage to get through. She was on the same school committee with me, tasked with finding a solution to the problem. While the previous Commandant had ignored the issue, General Rikoletsi had stressed the importance of fixing the problem. When I explained Izel's solution, General Barankoshto became as excited as I was.

"Do you think she'd help oversee some of the re-designs you mentioned?"

"I'm not sure, but I will certainly ask her."

"Where are you now? I'd like to call a meeting and get the ball rolling on this. I can't see any impediments, but we want to evaluate how to implement this change so that the school has the least amount of downtime, and the civilian-contracted teachers aren't alienated. And we can start recruiting more teaching and support staff as well."

"We're at the Commissary right now. Because of her brother, my wife was unable to leave their family estates with much of anything. While I was at the Financial Services counter, I made an inquiry, and it looks like he's frozen all of her personal accounts."

"All right, Commander. Let's make this a bit more official. I have an opening in two days at sixteen hundred. I know that's after you normally depart for home. But I'm hoping you can convince Lady Ocotépan to come with you and answer questions. We'll have both school principals there, too, as well as a couple of lead teachers to ask questions. We want them onboard with whatever changes we implement."

"Please send meeting invites to both me and my admin, Hanami. We'll be there," I promised. When I put away my phone, I felt pretty good.

Izel shopped for a bit more and Akama, Mack, and I trailed along.

Two of the purchases were furniture. One was a portable wardrobe, and the second was a narrow dresser for clothing. It was going to make for a tight fit in the main bedroom, but I didn't see there was a choice. Izel was part of the household now, and she needed a place for her things.

When we were done -- done for the moment, my new wife warned me! -- and things were paid for and sent off to the delivery vans, we went downstairs to the Financial section. Izel was duly photographed and had her thumbprints taken, and she received her own charge card. She stared at it for a bit.

"Something wrong?" I asked.

"No. Just looking at the names on it. Ranji Kandikan, and below that, Izel Kandikan, Lady Ocotépan. Sort of making the marriage real, doesn't it?"

"It does. Come on. You can break it in and buy all of us some food."

We went to the Diner portion for a snack. It was crowded, but we were able to find seats. I made my troopers eat, though one scarfed down her food while the other kept watch, then they rotated.

At ten hundred hours, I received a call from Dispatch.

"Kandikan."

"Commander, Lord Kirfan is on the line for you. Please be aware that the Base Commandant has ordered all communications with his lordship be recorded, sir. His Lordship has also been so notified."

"So noted. Patch him through."

There was a click, and then -- "Hello? Who is this?"

"This is Commander Ranji Kandikan, Imperial Air Service. Lord Kirfan of Tenochta, I presume?" Izel froze mid-bite, her face paling. Covering the mic, I whispered, "It's all right, I expected to get his call. Eat your lunch, Izel."

"I don't know who you think you are, but it was quite rude of you not to take my calls yesterday! I have already wasted enough time having to come here. I have other places to be, and you making me wait isn't appreciated!"

"I know who I am, sir. I am an officer in the service of the Empire. My time is the Emperor's, not yours. You have me on the line. If your business is so important, stop trying to intimidate me and get to the point."

"You can't talk to me like that! Do you know who I am?"

"Unless you're not Kirfan of Tenochta, then yes, I do know who you are. I am also very busy, Lord Kirfan, and unless you stop wasting my time with more juvenile attempts to intimidate me, I'm going to hang up. Then if you want to talk to me, you'll have to make an appointment with my administrative assistant and get in line with everyone else."

"Where's Izel?!" he roared into the phone.

"Izel who! Please be specific. There are almost sixty thousand people at High Guard. I'm sure there are at least a half-dozen women named Izel here."

The object of his search snorted into her drink, coughing and laughing. Mack came over and patted her back. Akama laughed quietly.

"My sister, you moron! Why would I care one flip for anyone else? I'm told all questions regarding my sister, Izel of Ocotépan, are to be directed to you. I am her eldest male relative and the head of the family. I have a right to know her status and her whereabouts! Now, where is she? I demand to know!"

"Lord Kirfan, I am a senior field officer in the Imperial Air Service. First you try to intimidate me and now you call me names like a child. Keep up this juvenile behavior and I'm going to hang up. For your information, your sister is in good health and being well taken care of. In fact, at this exact moment, I believe she's quite enjoying the battered and fried halibut and potato wedgies with dill sauce with a side of green beans -- green beans a local vegetable and you might not have had them where you're from."

Covering her mouth, Izel giggled.

"She's with you now? I have important business with her. Family business that is none of your concern. I demand that you bring her to me at once!"

"That's zero for three, Lord Kirfan. Intimidation, name-calling, and now impossible demands. Lady Izel has personally asked me for Sanctuary and I've granted it. As her Protector, all attempts at communication from you to her must occur with my knowledge and consent or it does not happen."

Izel's demeanor sobered, then grew concerned. I put him on speaker-phone.

"She has important family obligations that she is required to attend! I demand that you revoke the Sanctuary immediately! Revoke it and bring her to me! If you don't, I will take direct action against you, you self-important little prick!"

"First, you are free to do whatever political action you wish, Lord Kirfan. Second, I have given my word of honor to protect Lady Izel and I fully intend to keep my oath to her--"

"Coyoltlah tolli!"

Izel's hand flew to her mouth. Mack's face immediately hardened.

"I happen to speak Nahuatl, Lord Kirfan. I am not a coyote nor am I speaking such! That's twice you've insulted me, sir. Queschuan is the language used by the Empire, and its use is required for all legal actions. I not intimidated by your bluster nor your insults.

"I say again, that as the provider of Sanctuary to Lady Ocotépan and her legal Protector, Lord Kirfan, you may only make contact with your sister through me. I will decide what, if anything, is passed along. Furthermore, she completed her family obligations by providing three surviving adult children through marriage to Tolmec Dagantochlo. He is deceased, his will has been read, and his House has no further claim on her.

"For that matter, neither does yours," I continued. "It is a common and widespread practice that widows are not obligated to remarry, and if they do so, it is solely by their own choice. Your claims have no basis in common tradition or under Imperial law. Furthermore, as her legal Protector, I hereby instruct you to free up all of her bank and trust accounts and any other assets at once and to immediately return any and all items you have wrongfully seized from her. You are expected to personally make good anything missing or damaged. Any further action taken against her person or her reputation, her lands, people, or possessions real or implied will be taken as a personal attack upon me, Lord Kirfan. Make no mistake, your lordship -- and I use the term in the broadest and basest form solely due to your rank alone -- I intend to pursue these matters."

"I am the head of Nahua! I am her eldest male relative and it is I who decides her family obligations, not you! Who do you think you are? Izel is pledged in marriage and I mean to see that she honors that pledge! I insist you release her into my custody at once!"

"Funny you should choose to say 'your custody.' Lady Izel is a free person, not a minor nor a criminal. Any agreements you have with any prospective grooms are hereby null and void. As of yesterday afternoon, Lady Izel was legally married in a temple wedding with witnesses and duly filed. Under Imperial law, a woman may have only one living husband at a time. You, sir, have no further rights nor claims -- if indeed you ever had any -- regarding your sister."

"That stupid, stupid cunt! What's the name of the low-life, shit-eating bastard who shamed our family name!? Who did she whore herself to? Tell me! I insist you tell me his name!"

I felt my anger rising. "Take care, sir! Your sister is a highborn lady. She is a noblewoman of intelligence, grace, charm, and beauty. I insist you apologize and retract those statements at once!"

Izel flushed with shame at her brother's words but then gazed at me with gratitude and affection. Mack and Akama, knowing full well who her husband was, became visibly angry.

"Who is it! Who's the scum-sucking slug who defiled my whore of a sister!?"

"Lord Kirfan, stop slandering--!"

"That dirty bitch has no right to defy me--!"

I hung up.

Taking a calming breath, I looked at my wife. "Lady Ocotépan. Izel. You are a lady, and I am truly sorry that you had to hear such foul and rude language. All of his words about you are obviously false, of course."

"I have survived much worse, my lord, and recently some of that quite a bit more physically painful. Still, I am grateful for your spirited defense of my honor. You are both a warrior and a gentleman, Lord Kandikan. As your wife, I am comforted by the strength and kindness --"

Mack stood straighter and Akama jumped, dropping her unfinished sandwich.

Feeling someone behind me, I turned, then immediately stood and saluted. "General Rikoletsi! I didn't know you were here, sir. May I introduce you to my wife, Lady Izel Kandikan?"

The Commandant returned my salute, then said, "At ease, all of you. Trooper, finish your meal. I don't mean to intrude, Commander, but I couldn't help overhearing your phone conversation."

Behind him stood four guards. Two Ground Security and two personal guards in his House livery. Standing with them was a stately and well-dressed woman, about the same age as the Commandant.

"Commander, I don't believe you've met my wife. This is Killa Rikoletsi, Lady Chonam'sec."

Izel rose and came around the table. She and the general's wife clasped hands and leaning forward, touched cheeks first on one side and then the other, then grinned at each other as they let go.

"It's been so long since I've seen you, Izel! It was four years ago this past winter at Cuzco, wasn't it? At the Winter Solstice Ball?"

"I think you're right," Izel replied. "Killa, I'd like to introduce my new husband, Lord Ranji Kandikan."

Lady Killa offered her hand to me and I touched it to my forehead. "It's an honor, Lady Killa. Your pictures don't do you justice."

"Nor do yours, Lord Kandikan. You're right on both counts, Jah'roon. He is more handsome in person, and I do like him, especially after he stood up for Izel just now. Izel, I heard every dreadful word he said! I'm sorry to say this, but your brother is a scurrilous lout!"

"I'm in complete agreement with you," Izel said vehemently. "He's also selfish, cruel beyond measure, and he's a compete idiot."

Lady Killa blinked with surprise. The Commandant looked at me with approval.

I lifted my arm nearest Izel, and she smiled as she moved to stand next to me, putting her arm around my waist as mine settled around her shoulders.

"Well, aren't you two just a picture!" Lady Killa began. "I wondered who it was that landed our most eligible bachelor officer. Then I heard that you had returned to High Guard, Izel, and after too long an absence, I might add. Then late last night I heard that you and he had married! In a temple! My word, Izel! Such boldness takes one's breath away! I absolutely must hear all the details! I mean all, Izel."

"Before you two go off, I have a question, Izel," I said. "How is it that Kirfan has a registered Proxy to fight for him?"

Her brow narrowed in recollection. "Thirteen, no, fourteen years ago he was injured in a vehicle accident. He walks with a limp now. So he was granted the Proxy by the Central Conclave of Ruling Houses."

"Surely such is correctable by nano-technology?" I asked.

"It is," she agreed. "Which is strange, considering there are two facilities in Nahua. One in the capital city of Tenochta, and a second one on the family estate."

With that, both women sat close together and began quietly chatting.

The general and I took two steps away. He raised his eyebrows at me. "What are you thinking, Commander?"

"I'm willing to take on this champion of Kirfan's if need be. He's given me plenty of cause to issue a challenge of honor."

"High Command normally frowns on dueling, especially at the higher ranks. But in this case, I certainly agree. Lord Kirfan has more than amply given you cause. I noticed, too, that you never told him who it was that his sister married."

I shrugged. "It may be nothing, but if he tries to get a court to challenge the Sanctuary, I have that surprise in reserve."

"Thereby letting him waste his time and the court expenses. Nicely done, Commander."

"Now, I'm wondering. If he's had the technology to get healed but hasn't done so after all these years, I'm thinking his injury serves him better by remaining an injury. So what happens if Kirfan has some sort of minor fall, hardly worth considering, but with his limp as an excuse that we take his health seriously, that he's taken to our facility here and given the full healing resources at our disposal?"

General Rikoletsi nodded. "If the physicians cleared him, stating he was fully restored, that would invalidate the Proxy. I will put this to the JAG team when I get back to the office. Of course, it would be very bad if you killed him. However, I think he more than deserves getting his face pounded on a little. If someone talked about my wife that way, I would make sure they never forgot the error of their ways."

I grinned. "My thoughts exactly, General."

"I've known Lady Izel for many years, Commander. She's a remarkable woman -- as I think you are discovering."

"General, I am indeed discovering that very fact."

"Will you answer a few questions, for my own personal curiosity?"

"Of course, General."

"If they're too personal, just say so and leave it at that, and I'll understand. As I said, I've known Lady Izel for years. Not closely, of course, and mostly through my wife. When she arrived, she asked directions and headed straight for your home. Did she know that you were involved in her becoming a widow?"

I nodded somberly. "She knew, and it made no difference to her. Apparently her late husband had for years taken pleasure in physically hurting her."

"I was afraid of such. But it's a dangerous thing to pry into the personal life of a superior officer. No matter how despicable the deeds, if they aren't illegal, it's a career-ender at best. And the reason she sought Sanctuary?"

"Izel sought marriage when she arrived, not Sanctuary," I said. "I offered it. I didn't know how soon the wedding could be arranged, so I wanted the Sanctuary in place to help protect her from her brother."

"So she came here because she objected to the marriage her brother has planned for her?"

"Worse, General, in more ways than one. Izel says Kirfan bleeds money, and Izel believes he received a hefty cash advance to secure his sister's hand in marriage, and this so-called marriage is a precursor for further business deals. The man selected is Garan Baylocs'mec of Copán, a known criminal and a trafficker in Imperial citizens illegally sold as slaves. When I was in Copán, I authorized Lieutenant Yakalme's actions at his family compound. His brother fired on Imperial Security and Yakalme shot and killed him."

He nodded grimly. "I remember her unfortunate death and her actions in Copán. She died a warrior."

"You're also aware of Lieutenant Killayana's work with the Capisco Police?"

"I am. A nasty business, the kidnapping rings, of which I'm proud to say we helped end. He and his partner, Lieutenant Londomhua were recently both awarded Claws of the Jaguar for their contributions, and both were cited by the Capisco Police with Honorary Awards of Gallantry."

"I haven't met his partner, but Bennet's a good man. I'm pleased for him."

"So, Lady Izel came here to avoid this arranged marriage?"

"Yes. And when she refused, her brother beat her. Even worse, Kirfan thought it would be good if she were already pregnant with a Nahua child when she was married, and tried to sire the child himself."

1...45678...11