Starlight Gleaming Ch. 21 Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Izel explained, "It was discovered that he liked to slip drugs into their drinks, making them pliable, even leaping to his defense against accusations. At least, until they found themselves with child. Family heads outraged by pregnant and unmarried daughters had accidents, were defeated in duels, or received cash payments to silence their objections - his choice of action depended on how connected the family was to the Emperor's household. Two of those women ended up without recourse, and the Empress actually reached out and found other positions for them, far away from Court."

Nodding, I sighed. "So, he ensnared our Cholan and stole her away from us. He could have just left her here, jilted. He's played the seducer of noblewomen in the past, which makes me wonder why he married Cholan, especially considering the Pre-Nup he had her sign."

At that, the women asked for more clarification, so I retrieved the documents and presented them for examination.

After Izel finished, she passed the document to Janetta and Zinja for them to read. "Husband, you asked what prompted him to marry Cholan. I think I have an answer for you. A few years ago, the Emperor announced a reward of half-a-million Imperial credits would go to the development team that produced working energy weapons. Forty percent of that award would go to the project director. Fifty percent would go to the lead engineer. The balance of ten percent, or fifty thousand credits, would be split between all those on the research staff. Based on the Pre-Nuptial agreement, Lord Roshan will get ninety percent of that prize money. As Project Manager, he gets two hundred thousand for his share. Marriage to a commoner woman will grant him access to an additional two hundred and fifty thousand Imperial Credits tax free. That is a serious amount of money."

At my unhappy look, Izel added, "Itcha Aeronautics is a very important arms manufacturer, Ranji. You can't go to Cuzco and run around like you did at Copán. You'll run afoul of the Emperor and Roshan's friends, and yes, the scoundrel does have them. They are men who like their women meek and submissive, and who remain quiet about their frequent affairs with other women. I will also remind you that going to Cuzco will also put yourself within easy reach of the Devil who is even more expert at fabricating accidents. Please, Ranji, I know this hurts your heart and I grieve for that, but you need to face the very real possibility that Cholan is gone and there is nothing you can do about."

Janetta looked at me, too. "As furious as I am with Roshan, Izel is right. You don't have the backing to go after him. She was subdued, meek, and not the woman that I've known for nearly three years. As she is right now, she won't come willingly or even choose to speak to you. Please tell me you understand this."

"I understand," I said. My heart hurt, but I found myself unable to break down. So, I had Janetta give me four straight shots of metl juice, tossing them back, one right after the other. I think I cried for my lost Island Girl, but honestly? The rest of the night was lost in a drunken haze.

* * * * *

Part 28 - Odds and Ends

* * * * *

I did my best to give my family love and attention while I buried myself each day in the administrative grind of paperwork and meetings. Much of this time was a blur. The loss of Cholan from my life hurt, but there were a lot of others in my life that seemed to close ranks and do their best to distract me with their own needs or lavishing me with attention. I caught Janetta a few times looking at where Cholan used to sit, then her face clouded over with anger, frustration, and guilt. Both of us swallowed our hurt and pride and moved on while we focused on doing the tasks that needed doing.

Events continued to happen, highlighting current our daily routines.

The next day we celebrated Calia's emancipation. To my surprise, the troopers sheltering in my home launched a surprise party for Calia, thanking her for all she had done, and bringing out cakes and drinks that they had purchased from the Commissary. Ixma and Sisi had taught them the birthday song, and they sang it for her, declaring the day of her emancipation to be her new birthday. She was quite touched, crying happy tears at their many sincere wishes for her start as a free guildswoman and citizen.

The following day was Calia's implantation. I wasn't able to attend, but Doyya and Chita were among those present. Two of Yalcamara's eggs were successfully fertilized using Stimmi's sperm. Calia asked that both be implanted, and that was done. She was a little sore afterward, yet also seemed quite happy.

That same afternoon, thirty AT-7 Lightning aircraft with functioning shield generators arrived from Sentry War Base and were delivered to the 233rd Squadron to replace their losses against Atlantis. They were barely at half their previous interceptor strength, but their arrival was a good start. I learned that a class of green graduates from flight school would be arriving over the next week. More of the bereft ground crews would be picked by these pilots and given a chance to serve.

Janetta was excited that evening, unable to sit still, and retired to celebrate with Zinja after story-time. Later, I dried them off and poured them into bed.

* * * * *

From Atlantis came the news that after days of mass protests over the destruction of two islands, and despite government efforts to cast the blame solely on the Empire, a parliamentary vote of No-Confidence resulted in the collapse of the ultra-right leadership of Atlantis.

The interim leadership ordered all their military forces to cease all aggressive activity and to focus on defensive measures only. Early elections were scheduled for the following week.

* * * * *

Condor flights increased until they were flying again round the clock, bringing in much needed supplies and replacement warriors to High Guard.

With the increase in mail communications and the immediate threat from Atlantis fading, Ixma's exit paperwork went through. She received an honorable discharge, and two-hundred-and-fifty credits for her six years in the Air Service, along with the balance of her pay for the month. While privately she fretted about not having a regular paycheck, she was happy to spend more time with Mina and Sisi. During the weekend, she showed me that she had enrolled in a few online classes through her tablet. I was glad that she was continuing her education, and that I would support and take care of her, and I spent time on the couch cuddled with her, Sisi, and Mina.

Two days later, Zinja, Ixma, and I went to Empress Chaya hospital; Zinja had some eggs harvested, leaving her quite sore. The nurse gave her some pain meds, but while Zinja asserted she still hurt, she was pretty loopy for the rest of the afternoon. I recall the previous year when she and Janetta had been hospitalized, and hearing from both women that the prescribed painkiller didn't touch the pain while making them loopy.

For my part, Ixma helped me fill the cup, and then Ixma was prepared for the procedure. I waited with Mack and Akama, keeping watch over the drugged Zinja while we awaited news. An hour later, we learned that one egg had been successfully fertilized in the petri dish and implanted into Little Mama's womb. She, too, complained about being sore afterward, yet despite requesting only pain blockers, was also given a dose of that ineffective narcotic. Mack helped me guide mother and daughter into the cruiser, and once safely home, helped me get them upstairs and into their respective beds.

I was worried enough that Izel had a maid assigned to keep watch while Zinja and Ixma slept. Reassured, I ate lunch with Izel and my girls, then returned to work.

* * * * *

The following week, an experienced field officer arrived, Rango Sotlikal, newly promoted to Group Captain, arrived at High Guard to become Second at 1267, replacing Group Captain Terkouri. General Barankoshto had decided that Terkouri had been doing his duty during the chaotic hours after the attack by Atlantis, and earned a promotion to field commander, thus becoming the 1267's new CO. While myself and a few others had been informed in a meeting earlier that day, the promotion had been a surprise to Terkouri.

Both General Barankoshto and I congratulated him, publicly expressing confidence in his capabilities, his leadership, experience, and decisiveness. Terkouri laughed, and to the laughter of the attendees, teased me about the skid marks my feet would leave as I bolted back to my previous command.

I received my transfer orders at the same ceremony.

I remembered the man's steadfast support of the Protection Order when General Dagantochto had challenged my authority to arrest Captain Belliko over the rape of Lieutenant Hanti. A lot had happened since that fateful day. I'd had no idea that Dagantochto's widow would soon become my wife.

While I had made new friends at the 1267, the truth was that I missed the 602 and the people there. I stopped by home to change into my Air Security uniform.

Most of the 602 cheered when I walked into the office. Doyya and Chita were also happy; Doyya had done well, but was more than ready to step back. While I publicly expressed my praise for her hard work, I also told her she should have delegated Day Watch to her Second rather than struggle for weeks trying to do the work of both positions. As her Second was already monitoring Day Watch, I sent Doyya and Chita home to get some rest.

That same week, Kirfan was finally dealt with. Bound in chains, he was taken under heavy guard by way of Sentry War Base to Cuzco to stand trial for his crimes. Despite Supay's open support, a few days later he was found guilty and executed.

Because this left Izel as the remaining heir, and her being a woman, the Emperor decided to appoint a Trustee to administer the state government for the next year. There was a suggestion that one of Izel's sons by her first husband be nominated to become the ruler; Izel, however, vehemently protested the idea, saying that while they were growing up they had expressed no desire to live with the Nahua people, and at present, none of her children were living there.

With tribal consent, a Trustee was nominated and chosen by the Emperor's representative. The man was the first cousin of Izel's late father; his name was Lord Cacalotl Axocotzin. The first name meant "raven," but I didn't know if that was a good omen or not.

During the nights, I was kept busy as all five women wanted intimate attention and affection.

* * * * *

Because Janetta had applied when it was offered, her ground crew was officially allocated a fourth member. She and Zinja conducted interviews of those who expressed an interest in working with a woman officer. During Cholan's absence, Janetta added Corporal Bar'covs Shtar and Private Moke Alligetty, picking strong men to help Zinja with engine work and other sundry chores necessary to keep Janetta flying and the hangar clean. Both men had lost their respective pilot and faced reassignment to another field; both men asserted they preferred working around aircraft.

Zinja immediately started teaching the new workers about how she performed aircraft maintenance and repair, with reading of manuals and hands on experience rebuilding an engine loaned from the central maintenance inventory.

One of the problems with Cholan absconding without notice was that Janetta needed a new e-man for her ground crew. Perhaps out of habit, they had automatically both expressed desires to continue working with a woman, so that's where Janetta focused.

To Janetta's and Zinja's disappointment, the only woman available for the e-man slot was competent, but obviously did not have Cholan's brilliance. Janetta selected her because the male candidates were no better.

"But she's under probation for the next month. If she screws up, she's out," Janetta told me at d inner.

"You need to give her a chance, Captain. She's noticed you keep watching her and it's making her nervous," Zinja quietly said.

"Who is this 'she-person' you're talking about?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"Sergeant Ipsa," Janetta replied. "No need for you to visit the hanger, Kandikan. She bears a striking resemblance to a tapir's hind end for homeliness. She's certifiably fugly."

Both Izel and Ixma did a spit-take, and I caught both Zinja's surprised look and Calia's raised eyebrows as the latter paused what she was doing in the kitchen.

Janetta filled her mouth with food and chewed slowly with obvious satisfaction. "Dinner is especially good tonight!"

The cooks smiled, pleased at her praise.

I wondered if this Sergeant Ipsa was really as homely as Janetta was purporting in order to discourage me from visiting. Like I'd visit Janetta just so I could check out another woman! If I took the time out of my busy day to go visit her at the hangar, I would corner her inside her office where I would do a thorough engine check before proceeding to hammer my warrior woman to her desk using as many nails as I needed to render her boneless and dripping!

Calia flashed a grin at me. So, I imagined her underneath me, her legs pined to the mattress, moaning and wriggling as I pumped hard into her snug, liquid center. Blushing, she briefly stuck her tongue out at me. I flashed on thinking of her lips wrapped around my cock next, but decided I shouldn't escalate things, especially at dinner. Okay, I admit her raised eyebrows as she looked askance at me might have swayed my decision. Still, it was handy to learn that I could tease her that way.

Sisi asked, "What does fugly mean?"

Zinja gave her officer a glance before lifting Sisi's chin to make eye contact. "Don't you no never mind, Sisi. And I don't want to hear you using that word, understand?"

"It's another bad word, Mama Zinja?" my daughter asked.

"It is," Zinja confirmed, releasing her grip on Sisi's chin. "Only grownups can use it."

"All right." Then she had this look of concentration as she quietly ate her dinner.

Ixma said something I didn't understand to her mother.

Zinja whipped her head around to stare at her older daughter, saying, "Really?"

"Yes, Mama, really," Ixma confirmed.

The mechanic blanched as she watched her younger daughter so focused while eating.

To my surprise, Calia replied in Vedan to me. "Ixma just told her mother that Sisi writes down all the bad words she's not allowed to say into her notebook. Apparently, Zinja told her she can't say or do any of them until she's grown up. Sisi has been making a list and it's already several pages long."

I replied in the same language. "Charming. Since when did you learn Oexican, which I presume Ixma was using?"

"Last month. I picked it up the same way I learned Nahuatl. I'm up to six languages now."

I shook my head.

At Janetta's inquiring look, I told her, using Nahuatl, what Sisi was doing.

She did a double-take at my older daughter, then asked in Nahautl, "Should I start modifying my language around her?"

"Please do, Captain," Zinja replied, speaking Queschuan.

"That's probably a good idea, Janetta," Izel added. "Next year, there will be more children here. Children imitate words and ways of speaking that they hear the adults around them using. Best to get into good habits now."

My fierce warrior nodded thoughtfully.

Besides, my security troopers had already told me all about Sergeant Ipsa Warrigan. They weren't keeping constant watch on Janetta and Zinja like before, but patrols stopped by specifically to check on them and I received a digital copy of their reports. Ever helpful, Doyya sent me links to their personnel files.

* * * * *

One surprise came from Breena and Tanti, Cholan's older sisters. I was on my way home when Pen called me. The sisters had been told about the sudden marriage and departure, and had pleaded with Pen to call me to cancel the planned visit to our home.

While Pen and I were talking, Pen agreed with me that the visit should continue. Both women protested loud enough for me to hear them. Breena said, "We owe our lives to him! After what our sister did? How can we face him?"

"You tell him!" Pen put me on speaker phone. "You're on, Commander."

"Tanti? Breena?" I began, "Pen is one of my best friends and both of you are important to him. Breena, he's adopted your kids. He didn't have to do that, but he did. I'm their Uncle Ranji. Do you really want to put yourself in the way of that?"

"No, of course not!" Breena exclaimed, "But we don't understand! She loved you! And you defended her against our parents. How could Cholan do that to you?"

"She was assigned to work on a secret project for the Empire. The man in charge of that project seduced her. She slept at the work site, working night and day. For nearly two weeks, we never saw her. Her new husband has a bad reputation among the women at the Imperial Court. By marrying Cholan, he gets control of the prize money she earned for her work."

"She really is that smart?" Tanti asked.

"Yes. Roshan didn't like the Protection Order. By marrying her, he gets control of her money and got a chance to hurt me in the bargain. Don't you remember how it was, Breena? You told me yourself how hard it was, having to beg for enough money to feed your kids? To have enough to get clothes that fit them? Roshan, the man she married, he's like your ex-husband. I don't have any proof, but I believe he did something to her. I... the point is what happened with Cholan doesn't define either of you, and it would be profoundly unfair to have it to affect your children. Talking about your sister is still painful, so let's put that aside right now. My family has planned for your visit. They want to see you and the children. Sisi wants to play with Aarpo and Sachi. Do you want to disappoint my family? Or will we move past this together?"

"You really don't blame us?" Breena asked.

Pen said, "I told you he wouldn't."

"We'll be there," Tanti promised.

"Breena?" Pen queried.

"Yes, we'll still come."

"There's more we need to talk about, in private. Now say goodbye to him."

"Goodbye!"

We'd already pulled into the parking spot outside home. Mack and Akama had waited patiently for the phone call to end. We might be home, but they were still on duty until we walked through my front door.

During the weekend, when they visited, we had a good brunch and Tanti and Breena showed off their engagement rings that Pen had bought them - gold rings with a small emerald flanked by a pair of smaller sapphires.

"Pen said it's to match our eyes," Tanti told us as she and Breena got up to show off their jewelry; both women had medium brown hair and hazel eyes, reflecting their mixed Eastern Island heritage.

While admiring their rings, Izel asked, "Then have you set wedding dates yet?"

"Just one wedding date," Breena said happily. "Tanti and I will marry Pen at the same ceremony. We will share that day like we share him."

"It's the day before Winter Solstice. It's the soonest day with a longer time block," Tanti explained.

Pen said, "We'd heard that the ceremony at the temple of the Jade Goddess was pleasant. It's the last ceremony of the day, so I'll have time to prove the consummation with both of them."

Izel blushed as she glanced at me. "I'm sure that will be most helpful."

Breena grinned. "Pen made us promise to help him abstain for the whole week before the wedding."

Tanti added archly, "Even though we're sure it'll be hard for him."

Janetta replied drolly, "He appears virile enough, I'm sure it will be."

Ixma snorted, then choked as tea sprayed out her nose. Mina, sitting on her lap, exclaimed, "No, Mamma! Eating! No want wet!"