Still Waters Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

*****

Bertha was talking with Betty, when something shifted and she knew. Her youngest daughter was now mated. Bertha smiled. Surprisingly, she knew that now, Evangeline would be fine. She just had to let go. Everyone worried about her youngest daughter. She was hard on the girl, but after her sisters left, she wanted to keep her as close to her as she could.

As a young woman, those who loved you were often the hardest on you, because they wanted you to be tough. Bertha would not lie to herself, secretly, she never wanted Evangeline to go, but now she knew she had too.

Betty paused.

"Bertha, are you alright?" she asked concerned because for a few moments the other woman seemed to slip into a trance.

"I'm fine, Abettia. I will be fine. All of my daughters are home. I have beautiful grand pups, and I had a mate that loved me despite of myself. Now, my youngest has mated and she will have a wonderful life away from me. It is what it is. I am fine. I am always fine." Bertha paused. She wanted to be alone. "If you will excuse me, I need rest." Bertha left.

Reggie knew. "Babe, I'm checking on Mama." He followed her.

"Oh, Reginald, what do you need son?" Bertha asked barely able to hold herself together.

"Mama, I'm here and I'm not leaving, even when you try to push me away. Like I said before, I got you. We got you." Reggie whispered.

The tears spilled. Bertha wanted to lash out, to scream expletives at him to make him leave, but she could not. Reggie pulled her into his arms and held her close. He sent to Kina, Mama needs you. She joined him. She hugged her mother too. Bertha cried in their safe embrace, and it was then that Kina understood what her mate said before. They were Kingsley, and the took care of their own.

"I'm sorry. I'm alright. You two go get your babies. Send time with them. I just need some time alone. I'm fine. I promise." Reggie and Kina shared a look.

"OK, Momma. I'm taking them to the apartment Alpha Ryelle is letting us use, but first we need to make sure you're alright. Listen, we're staying a while. I know we have had our differences, but I'm here for you momma." Kina whispered. She hugged her mother. It was awkward, but the fact that Bertha held on to her so tightly let Kina know that maybe she wasn't as fine as she pretended to be.

Lani and Benia were waiting. They were concerned, but could not extend their stay more than a few days. Each had responsibilities at Kingsley and with Kina staying they would cover her post for her.

Kina sent to her sisters that she was with their mom but she was alright. They told her that they would take the kids for a walk. "Momma, the kids want to go for a walk. It's beautiful today. Come with us." Kina suggested.

Bertha smiled. "Kina," She sighed. "They are beautiful. You and Reggie are doing a great job with them. I know I was always hard on you, but despite what you thought, I just wanted you ready to face the world. I never said this, but out of all of your sisters, you are so much like me that it scared me. My past has colored a lot of the way I see things and I wanted you to be stronger than I was. I love you, Kina. You are my first born, and despite everything, I am so proud of you.

Reggie is a good man. He is the perfect mate for you. I'm sure he gets on your nerves, but that's ok. He loves you. And in truth, that's all I wanted for all four of you. I wanted you to find the love you truly deserve. I love you, Kina. I don't want to leave this world without you knowing that."

Kina was stunned. For years, all she wanted was validation from her mother, but Bertha was so hard. Her father let her know he loved her every time she called, but she rarely spoke to her mom. When she found her mate at Kingsley, Bertha did not approve. She left home vowing never to return. Now, she stood, stunned. "I love you too, momma." Kina whispered.

Bertha hugged her daughter, not feeling as sad anymore. "Now, why don't you and Reggie spend time with the kids? I'll join you all for dinner."

Kina relaxed "You promise?" She asked. Not sure how to react to this more docile side of her mother.

Bertha smiled, a twinge of sadness still in her eyes. "I'll be there." She then turned and went to her room.

Kina sent to Lani and Benia. Her sisters and their mates joined her. She told them about the conversation with their mom. The other girls were surprised. Lani felt a twinge of jealousy. She wished momma loved her, even a little. Bertha knew. She felt her anger, her hurt. She sent to her second daughter, Daughter mine, I love you. You reminded me so much of myself in my youth, that I wanted to shield you. I went about it the wrong way and drove you away. But even though I made a horrible mistake, I never stopped loving you. Bertha showered her daughter with love. Lani cried. Cam held her closed as Benia now received a message from Momma also.

Lani was stunned as her mother now spoke to her mentally. She could feel the pain Bertha tried to hide, and her heart broke for her mother. It was then she wondered, Was Momma trying to leave them too?

"Momma, I'm coming to your room. Let me in." She sent. Her mate started to follow when she asked him to wait. Within moments Benia was knocking on her mother's door.

Bertha knew. She had a lot to answer for. She opened the door before Lani could knock.

"Sit, Lani. Let me explain." Bertha whispered.

For the next hour, Bertha told her daughter her story. Lani listened, but the hurt little girl inside did not truly understand.

"Momma, you were so hard on me. Nothing I did was ever enough." She whispered. Bertha listened. She knew that for once, she needed to allow Lani to release her pain, much of which she caused.

Lani unloaded. Bertha listened. Which each cry, her heart broke even more. She knew she was not a very affectionate mother, but the damage she'd caused her children was irreparable it seemed. How the fates could had gotten this so wrong. They took the wrong person. Willie should still be here.

Soon, Lani quieted. She felt at peace. Just having her mother listen lifted a weight. It was then she made her final confession. "Cam and I were intimate. I conceived CJ. I left because I knew you'd be furious." She sobbed. "I think daddy knew. Once he said he'd like to meet his grandchild, but I played it off. He never will meet daddy because I was a coward."

"No, this is my fault. I was too difficult. But Lani, he is so proud of you, and your son reminds me of hm. Cam Jr. is the image of his grandfather. You just hold your head up, and I'm sorry my stubbornness caused you this pain. I can't change what I've done, but I promise to be a better mom." Bertha vowed.

Lani hugged her mother. Bertha whispered. "I love you Lani, never doubt that."

Lani believed her, and her heart opened. For the first time since she was younger, she felt content. She thought of her dad, and she felt his love. She could have ranted, raged, and yelled, but what good would that do. It was time to move on and try to have a relationship with her mom.

"OK, Momma, I'll let you rest, but we'll be waiting for you tonight." Lani whispered.

Bertha smiled. "I'll be there." She closed the door as her daughter went back to join her mate. Bertha felt relieved. She had two more branches to extend. Benia and Evangeline would be with them tonight. Shed talk to both girls and maybe, just maybe, her family could reunite once and for all.

In the hereafter, Willie DuPont watched. He knew he was not to interfere, but just this once, he needed to help his mate heal the chasm between her and their children]n. Chief Joe joined him. "Well grant you time. Help heal your family." He whispered.

Willie smiled and his heavenly intervention began.

*****

Evangeline was hungry, but not for food. As much as Declan wanted to indulge in the sweetness of his woman, he felt they needed to go to dinner. He'd reached out to his alpha, but Evangeline had not become a member of Gaines. He did not become a member of Jackson. This was strange. As far as he knew, the newly joined wolves belonged to a pack.

"Babe, we need to go to dinner. I promise, when we get back, I will indulge in each and every one of your fantasies." Declan whispered.

Evangeline giggled. "They'll know. I bet they will be staring at us when we enter." She huffed.

Declan smiled, "Good, I want them to know that you are my woman and if another wolf looks at you, I'm taking him on." He teased.

Evangeline laughed. "Can we go by my house first? I need fresh clothes."

"Yes, pack everything. I want you to stay here with me." Declan explained.

Evangeline frowned. "Declan. We don't belong to just one pack. Is that normal?"

Declan frowned, "I don't know.. I do know that no matter what my life is with you. Now woman, let's get you home so we can go to dinner."

The newly mated couple entered the dining hall. Everyone looked. Alpha Ryelle and Madam Alpha Tasha greeted them. Declan was puzzled. Ryelle smiled, "Sometimes it takes a little longer for the fates to decide. You two will join a pack soon, don't fret." Ryelle explained. In truth, he'd never known for this to happen, but he was certain that the fates knew what they were doing.

Everyone looked as Bertha and her daughters entered. Evangeline was nervous. Declan held her hand. Bertha walked over to them. She looked him in the eye. She frowned and she said in a staged whispered. "No one is good enough for my baby girl, but you're darn close, Declan. Welcome to the family." Everyone sighed. Evangeline relaxed.

Kani and Lani laughed. This was certainly different from what their mates endured. Reggie and Cam sent their mates huge hugs, and the family chose a table and got the kids settled. Of course the twins wanted to sit with decal and Evangeline. They asked where Deacon was, and Declan explained he was joining them shortly.

*****

Meanwhile, Deacon returned to Declan's apartment. He was going to be a father. He was going to have a son or daughter. His dad was going to kick his ass. He'd kick what was left after Jebutu finished with him. Then he smiled. It didn't matter. He'd take both ass kickings gladly if that meant he and Olivia could raise their child together. Deacon sighed. He needed to tell Declan. But not right now. He'd let him know later. His brother was dealing with a lot already. Besides, he now had a new sister. Evangeline DuPont Pritchard was a welcomed member to his family.

The end of chapter 3

Thanks for reading. Please share your thoughts.

Chapter 4 is in the works.

12