Stinky Fred Oshkosh

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You got in pretty late last night. I assume you had a good time."

"I had a great time. Fred is such a great dancer. It was the most fun I have had in a very long time."

"Good. I'm glad it worked out. You know your father and I have always thought he was a hard worker. He never complained about having to work in the family business and he never slouched because he worked for his father."

"I know. He told me last night about starting his own business and he is working on renovating a building in town on his own. He is going to be pretty busy for a few months. He told me he already has several firm clients and two others are talking with him this week."

"So do you think he will ask you out again?"

I smiled. "Mother are you really asking me if I want him to ask me out again."

She smiled. "Yes. I guess I am. It would be nice to see you having fun and enjoying life. If Fred can do that for you I would be very pleased."

"Mom you know Fred is something of a package deal. You get Molly thrown in too. He is going to move into his own place and take Molly with him. Since I like Molly and she likes me I already have an inside edge. I'll have to work on Fred."

"Honey I don't think you'll have to work too hard. I think he likes you already."

My parents never interfered with whom I chose to date so hearing mom say both of them thought a great deal of Fred was exceptional. It wouldn't have mattered if they weren't crazy about him, I was and my feelings were what really mattered. I guess I was more independent in that respect than I thought I was. They certainly wouldn't have approved of my going out with a married man and they would have been right in that regard. But that was a horse of another color.

It was two days later when I heard from Fred. He called to tell me he was coming to his parent's house to take Molly for a walk. I knew the reason for the call was not to tell me not to walk Molly, it was man-speak for I would like to take you and Molly for a walk. I was walking on air as I walked to the Oshkosh residence. I knocked on the door and walked in. Mrs. Oshkosh greeted me warmly. She was just hanging up the phone.

"I suppose you're here to walk Molly. She's in the front room lying on her bed. She has hasn't touched her food today and has basically slept. I don't think she's feeling good."

I walked into the living room and saw Molly lying there with her eyes closed. I called her name softly as I approached. She opened her eyes and the tip of her tail started to wag. She was pleased to see me that was for sure. I knelt down beside her and stroked her head. She barely moved, but licked my hand as she normally did. I saw her nose was dry and her eyes looked a bit off. Molly's nose had always been moist, not that being dry was an indication of serious illness. But it was the fact she didn't get right up when I walked in or lie there her tail wagging, hitting the floor with a regular hard thump that bothered me.

"Hey girl." I said gently as I stroked her head and back. She closed her eyes, her tail lay still. I looked at her and noticed how gray her face appeared. Guess I really hadn't given any thought as to how old she was. I counted out in my head- I had known her for almost seven years now.

I heard Fred's voice as he greeted his mother. She told him I was in with Molly and that Molly had been lying around all day not moving much. I noticed Molly didn't respond yet to his voice. I had noticed her hearing was starting to go a month or so ago. I hadn't thought to mention it to his parents as I figured they already knew. I looked up as Fred walked into the room.

"Hi Sonia."

I returned his greeting with a smile and noticed Molly had opened her eyes and her tail was now thumping the floor. Fred knelt down next to me and placed his hand under Molly's muzzle. She licked his hand a few times and started to rise to her feet. She was unsteady on her feet as Fred continued to stroke her head.

"Hey there old girl. Not eating either huh. That's not like you at all. I think you're going for a ride to Dr. Sutton's."

Molly perked up at the word 'ride'. Her tail starting to wag.

Fred looked at me. "No walk tonight. You can go home if you want. I'll take her to the vets and have her checked out."

"No. I would rather go with you. I hate to see Molly this way."

Fred called Dr. Sutton and made sure he could see her as it was after normal hours. It wasn't but ten minutes later that we left for his office. When we pulled into the parking lot he was at the front door to greet us. Molly walked in on her leash as if she were mired in mud. This really shook me as I had never seen her this way. He led us into a treatment room and Fred picked Molly up and placed her on the examination table. When Dr. Sutton reached for her she started to wag her tail. She must have recognized him as he had always been her vet. Dr. Sutton spoke up in a strong voice.

"Molly. You look a little down and out. Let's have a listen." As he placed his stethoscope on her rib cage and then moved it a few times more.

Then he placed his fingers on her limbs, her stomach, and her neck. All the while he spoke to Molly in a calm voice. He gently laid Molly on her side and inspected her belly and teats. Molly offered no resistance whatsoever. Finally, Dr. Sutton stroked her head a few times and gently placed his hand under her shoulder to show her she could change position. Molly rolled over half way to rest over her legs and laid her head down, her soft brown eyes wide open.

"Fred. Molly is an old dog. She's twelve years old at least, maybe more. From my examination I'm fairly certain that she had intestinal cancel that has spread to the other organs. Now I can run blood and some other tests but I'm not sure it makes sense. Right now she is feeling some pain. Hounds are tough and tolerate pain better than most breeds. But this is not going to last. Soon her quality of life will go down rapidly, probably in less than two weeks. Once they go off their food and drink little it signals they are near the end. I'm sorry to tell you this. But dogs, like the rest of us, don't live forever."

"So you're suggesting I put her down?"

"Yes. You don't have to do it right now. I can give you some pain medication to keep her comfortable for a while. Enough time for you to spend some time with her. But I think any longer than a week isn't a good idea."

The news struck me hard. Like a punch to the stomach. I couldn't imagine how Fred was feeling. It had to be worse for him. I moved next to him and placed my hand on his arm. I was surprised when after a few seconds Fred looked at Dr. Sutton and said in a strong, steady voice.

"Give me enough for two days. Then I will bring her in. I don't see leaving her in pain like this. She has been a good dog all these years and I owe it to her to be strong now and keep her best interests in mind."

"I'm sorry Fred. I know this isn't easy. You have taken excellent care of her over all these years. Molly has lived a good life thanks to you. Just keep that in mind."

Dr. Sutton gave Fred a vial with four tablets in it. Fred tucked it into his shirt pocket, picked Molly up off the table and walked her out to the pickup. He picked her up and placed her into the middle of the front seat. We got in and headed back, both of us silent. I went to place my hand on Molly's head and found Fred had placed his hand there too. He looked at me, his face a sullen mask.

"Sonia do you think I..."

"Yes. I think you're doing the right thing. It's the right decision for Molly. You know that."

"Thank you for being here for Molly and for me. I'm not sure I would have handled the situation as well as I did if you hadn't been with me."

When we got back to his parents we told them the news. It wasn't hard to see it was difficult for all of them. Then Fred looked at his father.

"Dad. Can I bury Molly here?"

"Yes. She belongs here. I think I know just the spot. Let's go out and look."

I watched out the window as both of them walked across the backyard to the very back where the trees of the woodlot formed a border with the grass. They stood and talked for a few minutes and then they walked back towards the house and disappeared, only to reappear, both of them with spades in their hands. Mrs. Oshkosh and I sat with Molly. After twenty minutes I looked out the window again and saw a mound of brownish-yellow soil placed on one side of a hole. I looked at Molly and a tear ran down my cheek- it was Molly's final resting place.

After fifteen minutes Fred and Mr. Oshkosh walked back in from the pole barn. Fred walked in and stood next to me. I took his hand.

"Fred. I should get home. Call me."

He turned to me and I hugged him tightly. I didn't want to let him go. I knew this was hurting him more than it was hurting me and I hurt a lot.

"I will."

I walked home, told my parents the news and went into my room. I readied myself for bed after reading for a while, not that I was able to concentrate very well. I was happy when sleep took me. I got up the next morning, went to work, came home, ate a light supper and headed over to see Molly.

I was pleased to see the pain medication had made a difference. Molly was very pleased to see me, her tail thumping hard on the floor as I sat down next to her. The next day was pretty much the same. Then the next morning I got up knowing Fred was taking her in. I called the office and told them I would not be in as I needed to take a personal day. Fred called and I walked to the Oshkosh house. When Fred showed up to get Molly he looked the worst I had ever seen him. He obviously hadn't gotten much sleep.

"Sonia. Have you said goodbye to Molly. I suppose you have to go to work."

"No. I took my personal day. Fred I have to go with you. I have to be there for her final moments. I don't want to, but I have to."

An hour later we returned and drove the pickup truck into the backyard. Fred gently lay Molly onto an old blanket and placed her at the bottom of the pit. Two injections and Molly passed quietly from this world surrounded by those who cared for her most. Fred and his dad backfilled the pit and then moved three large stones over the mound of bare soil. Fred and I remained for a few minutes after his parents walked back to the house. I couldn't help the tears and Fred took me into his arms and held me close. When we parted I could see his eyes were red and watery. Then he looked at me

"We have done what we could. I will remember all of the good times Molly brought me and I'm sure it will be the same for you. I know a lot of people would say she was just a dog, a pet. But that doesn't mean there wasn't a connection of importance, an emotional bond, there was and always will be."

"I feel the same way. I was special to Molly. She picked me more than I picked her."

Sonia will you go with me to my new office building so I can show you what my future holds? It's time to move on. I'm going to hurt for a while but I have to move forward."

I agreed and Fred pulled the pickup truck into the pole barn, we bid his parents goodbye and headed into town in his car. At first it was quiet, both of us with our own thoughts. Then we started to talk about different topics. I think to take our minds off of our loss. Then Fred looked at me with a smile.

"You know I still haven't decided on a name for the business. Maybe we could work on that for a while before we have lunch. Then if you don't mind I could use your opinion on paint colors and such for the office. Does that sound ok?"

"You mean you aren't going to call it Fred Oshkosh Accounting or something similar?"

"That's still a possibility. But I wouldn't mind getting away from it if I could find something as good. I was thinking the best thing to do would be to check the phone directories for this region and see what names are already being used. It's a paper exercise but we might get some ideas of what not to use."

"Fred. That's a good idea. You know I'm working for one of three accounting firms in town. I wonder what they will think of a new competitor."

"I don't know. But there must be room as with three clients already I have a good start. If I can land the other two in the few next few weeks I will have a solid start. I've only talked with them on the phone. I hope a face to face meeting will seal the deal."

"That does sound promising."

"Sonia. It's not going to cause problems at work for you is it? I mean if you are seen with me will they think you're not being faithful to them. I hadn't thought of that."

"Don't be silly. I don't ever reveal anything to anyone about the accounts I service. No one but my boss. I don't even say anything to my coworkers unless we are working on something we need to collaborate on. I can't believe it would be problem."


CHAPTER FOUR BUIDLING A BUSINESS

We pulled into a parking space adjacent to a small brick building that was located just a few blocks from the university campus. Fred pointed out the building as we approached and I saw it had been well maintained, the brick clean and the window trim intact and newly painted. Then Fred told me he had rented a power washer to clean the brick and then used it to remove the old peeling paint from the window frames and sashes. Then he had sanded, primed, and painted the trim himself rather than hire someone else to save money.

We walked into the main room. It was about twenty by twenty four feet square, with a door that led to a storage room, a room for the mechanicals, bathroom, and what I took had been a lunch room. The space was fully carpeted in a mid-tone beige that was clean and looked almost new. There was a long counter that separated the front into two sections- about one third of the space along the street side windows serving as a lobby and the remaining two-thirds as work space for desks and other office equipment. The ceiling was the standard drop down ceiling tile with florescent lighting. It was small to be sure but if well-organized would work well for two or three persons.

I looked at the two desks and a row of five filing cabinets. I could tell they were used and had been repainted but it took a bit of effort to recognize it. I asked Fred if they had come with the building and he told me he had purchased them from university stores- they had been declared surplus by the university and he had picked them up for about a quarter of what they would have cost new. He had rented a paint sprayer and refinished them himself. I was really impressed.

I walked over to what looked like a supply cabinet and when I opened the doors found it filled with office supplies. The only things that looked new in the office appeared to be the phones, computers, printers, and other electronic gadgets. I also saw a shelf that contained all of the software he had purchased for the computers. Programs I was already familiar with at work. Again I couldn't help but be impressed.

"Fred this is fantastic. So what is your planned official opening date?"

"I should be ready in three more weeks. That's why I need to pick a name so I can get letterhead, signs, and forms printed. I've put it off as long as I can. Two of the firms here in town use the names of the principals and the other is more generic, the one you work for, Standard Accounting Services."

He handed a piece of paper to me with the names of the firms and five other names he was considering- including Fred Oshkosh CPA, LLC. I looked it over. Then I picked up a pen from a desk and added another and handed it back to him. He looked at it. A big smile crossed his face.

"I like it. I like it a lot. It starts with an 'A', so it would should up in a search before any other firm, it's easy to remember, it suggests I'm competitive in terms of pricing, and it rolls of the tongue easily- Affordable Accounting and Bookkeeping Services. You Ms. Hodges have just won yourself a free lunch.

"Really! You like it."

"I do. So now that I have a name for the business I think I should take you to lunch. Finches' isn't far. Let's go there as I have never eaten there."

We walked the three blocks to Finches' and an older black man was ahead of us and held the door for us as we approached. We walked inside and stood in line behind him. Several more people filed in behind us. It looked as if we had arrived just ahead of the noon lunch crowd. The person behind the counter had just handed a tray of food to a customer and looked up, his eyes scanning the line. Then he looked to us, ignoring the man ahead of us.

"What can I do for you?" He asked with a smile.

I was confused. Why was he asking us? It wasn't our turn. Then I heard Fred respond.

"This gentleman is ahead of us." As he gestured towards the well-dressed black man.

"I'll get to him in a minute. He will have to wait his turn."

I looked at Fred's face. I saw a spark in his eyes. The expression on his face changed from friendly to something decidedly less friendly.

"His turn is now. Not later." Fred announced clearly and calmly.

The black man stood still not saying anything.

"This is my business and I run it the way I want. Now what can I get you."

Fred took a step towards the counter. The man took a step back. His face showing a hint of concern. Fred glowered at him and then said in a loud calm voice.

"I think I've changed my mind about dinning here. You can shove your food where the sun doesn't shine. You will never see my face in this establishment again. Maybe the better business bureau should get a call."

Fred took my arm and we walked out into the sunshine.

"Well we're not going to eat here. Let's go down the block. Sorry for the delay."

We had just gotten a few steps away when someone called out behind us. We turned and the black man was walking towards us.

"You didn't have to do that. I could have waited. It happens."

Fred looked at him. "Yes. I did have to do that. You was a customer. You should be treated with respect. You are also a citizen of this county. You shouldn't have to contend with being treated as a second class citizen. That man is someone I would never want to support. I'll take my business elsewhere. I won't give him a penny of my money."

I watched as the other people who had stood in line behind us filed out. Apparently all it took was for someone to take a stand. I don't think I had ever seen anyone stand up for someone he didn't know like Fred had just done. Then I remembered Sam's comment all those years ago. Fred had stuck up for Sam when someone was putting him down. The man thanked him, turned, and walked in the other direction.

We approached a small restaurant, found a table and ordered lunch. After all he had been through with Molly over the past two days he had the humanity to try and right a wrong when it appeared. I admired his moral fortitude and his courage to confront someone in a calm way and get his point across. I was sure the man wouldn't change his attitude, but perhaps he would never again treat someone that way in front of others for fear of losing customers. Would it change the world, no, but it didn't have to, it was the right thing to do.

We walked back to the office and Fred looked at me with a smile.

"Well you seem to have found a good name for the business. Now what do you think for an interior color for this room? I wanted something not white, something that would lift the spirit a little. I was thinking of adding a moveable partition to make an office space in the corner for more privacy. Any ideas.

"I think we need to go to the hardware store and look at some chips. I would think a yellow of some sort would be perfect. If you get a partition that matches the black color of the supply and filing cabinets that will give the office a more unified appearance. That's all I can think of to suggest. Oh. You can use a large wall clock too."