Storm of Shadows Ch. 12

Story Info
Secrets Revealed.
10.1k words
4.85
15.4k
52

Part 12 of the 12 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 05/26/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,499 Followers

Chapter Twelve

Demetri switched off his phone not bothering to hide his disquiet. The news Rafe had just imparted was cause for concern so it was churlish not to let the others know there had been a development.

"What?" Nors asked.

They had just alighted the train at Brașov, and though they were a couple of days behind Dara and Kothi, they hadn't been particularly concerned about it as they could move much faster than the others as they didn't have to cater to a human in their group. Still, the news Rafe had imparted now had Demetri feeling a sense of urgency that hadn't been there before.

Sighing, he ran a hand through his black hair. "Dara checked in with Rafe. It appears our enemy knows they're on their way to find Gard and Rayne. One of the vampires with them was mentally compromised. It appears that the human girl has developed an ability like aura viewing, but not quite the same. She can see when someone's mind has been compromised. The group dealt with the issue, and they've implemented a check and balance protocol to make sure there is no further incursions, however, this changes the way we need to do things."

"If we contact Dara and let her know we're here and the enemy is able to take over someone else then he will know we are coming." Freya summed up the position quickly, drawing a nod from Demetri.

"Exactly. I had planned on letting Dara know we were backing them up but now it doesn't seem like a viable option. We need to be completely hidden from whoever is out there causing all this trouble."

"Rafe didn't tell them we were coming?" Freya asked.

"He opted for caution after hearing about the vampire, and I agree with that course of action," the other Ancient answered, his dark green gaze automatically travelling to the mountain range in the distance. The sense of urgency he felt was making him antsy, and he didn't like feeling antsy.

"Who was compromised? It wasn't Louis was it?" Joshua asked, a frown wrinkling his brow. He had a reasonably friendly relationship with the coven leader. He kept his coven in check for the most part and that helped promote a healthy balance between the covens in Europe. It would be unfortunate if anything were to happen to the other vampire.

Demetri shook his head. "It was a female member of his coven. He wasn't happy about the solution to the problem that Kothi and Dara took, and things became tense for a moment, but it appears they're all back on the same page again."

Freya snorted, rolling her eyes. "Louis is stubborn as a mule, but he isn't stupid enough to go up against the Vârcolac. He has a strong sense of self preservation."

Her mate turned to look at her, curiosity in his eyes though he didn't ask the question he clearly wanted to ask. Dayton knew she had some history with the European vampire, but she'd never really elaborated on it.

"You know I used to be part of his coven many years ago," Freya admitted. "We parted ways when he realised that I wasn't the type to take orders from anyone, even the coven leader. I could say we split amicably, but that would be a lie. He threatened to set his entire coven on me if I ever darkened his door again. When I finished laughing, I told him I go where I please and he could bring it on. We sort of left it there."

Nors' head snapped around to stare at his sister. "I thought you said he had a strong sense of self preservation," he laughed. He'd spent many centuries keeping his volatile sister in check. He knew just how foolish it was to threaten her.

"I swung around his neck of the woods a few years later and popped in to say hi," Freya replied, a wicked smile on her beautiful face. "As you can all see, I am still alive and well, and so is Louis. I'd say that proves that he does."

Her brother laughed again, shaking his head. "I'm so glad you're no longer my problem, sister mine. Dayton, you're a much stronger male than I am."

"If we can get back on with the task at hand," Demetri interrupted dryly. "We should employ the same defence techniques the others are using and build mental safeguards. We will check each other as we go along to make sure there are no incursions into our minds. I think it's unlikely whoever is out there knows we're coming but it makes sense to err on the side of caution."

He waited for everyone to nod their agreement and continued. "We'll do a quick reconnoitre around the city and then head up into the mountains. We can move much faster than Dara's group so we should be able to catch up with them quickly. Any objections?" He wasn't really expecting any but asked all the same. Sometimes it was good leadership letting others think they actually had a say in the matter, even if there was no way in hell he was going to let this mission go any way but his.

When he received no objections, they quickly set their mental safeguards and then headed off down the street. Demetri was an excellent tracker and knew that they wouldn't have any issues picking up Dara's trail up the mountains. Dayton was particularly attuned to his niece's scent and was equally as skilled a tracker being a wolf. They would catch up with others quickly, and then maybe they would finally find out just who it was that thought it was smart to mess with the Stateside vampires and packs.

~~~~~

"Sarayne?"

The name whispered through her mind, breaking through the fogginess that was slowly dissipating. She recognised the voice, but it took her mind a few seconds to register who it belonged to. She was aware it was someone important to her, some vital to her existence. However, she couldn't form the name that she needed, the name that meant the world to her.

"Sarayne?"

A sob threatened to escape, but she swallowed it down, conscious of the fact that she couldn't let her captors know she was awake.

"Gard, I'm here," she sent back telepathically, hoping that there wasn't anyone around who was able to monitor their link. This was the first time she'd been able to communicate with her mate since they'd been taken captive. The relief she felt knowing he was safe and close was nearly overwhelming. "From what I can tell we're in a cave somewhere in the Carpathian Mountains. Whatever drug they have been giving us appears to be losing its potency as I've come around a few times before they've come to dose us again. This is the first time I've been able to sense you awake though. Have you been awake before now?"

A mental sigh of relief breezed through her mind, followed by a wave of love that wrapped her up in the feel of strong arms. Gard's presence comforted her in a way no other could, his words, reassuring as they washed over her.

"Yes, love, but it's the first time I've gotten a response from you. I could sense you next to me, so I knew you were there. I just couldn't get any reaction when I called out to you. It's good to know that the drugs are wearing off both of us at the same rate. Have you tried moving at all?"

She wanted to laugh out aloud but forced herself to remain still. "I've been deliberately not moving just in case we were in sight of our captors. I didn't want to give away the fact that their drug is failing on them. They might hit us with something more potent."

It was a valid concern; one Gard had clearly thought of when he was awake on his own. It was also something that he wouldn't have feared testing.

"I don't think we are being watched," he replied, confidence in his mental tone. "I've been flexing my leg muscles each time I wake and there hasn't been any indication that it's been noticed."

Taking a chance, Rayne flexed her legs, stifling a moan of delight at finally being able to move even if it was just a small gesture. She did it again and then stiffened as another memory returned from the last time she was awake.

"Agony," she whispered, fear filling her mind and seeping into her mate who stiffened beside her. "He's here, Gard. I sensed him the last time I was awake. Our son has given over control to his feral side and come looking for us. I told him to run, but I was dosed again and don't know if he heard me."

Gard sighed, relaxing a little and sending soothing thoughts her way. "I guess we would have been surprised if the boy hadn't taken matters into his own hands," he said ruefully. "It's exactly what he would do if someone he loved needed help. We must trust that he has some kind of plan in mind, and he isn't alone. Our boy can take care of himself, Rayne. You know he can."

His confidence did soothe her to a certain extent, but her maternal instincts were stronger. "I know how fierce he is, Gard. I also know that when he takes on his Agony persona he doesn't think logically, he just reacts. What happens if they capture him too? He won't submit, and there's nothing to say whatever drug they used on us will work on him. They may kill him if they can't subdue him."

She couldn't hide the fear that threatened to overwhelm her. She had to know their son was safe. The only way to do that was to reach out to him. Taking a deep breath she called out to their son, part of her desperate for a response and the other part wishing he was too far away to answer. "Agony, can you hear me?"

For a moment there was only silence, and then his voice resounded in her head, transmitting to Gard too as they were linked.

"Mother! I hear you. Are you okay? Is Father okay?"

Hearing his voice and knowing he was okay was too much for Rayne, and she struggled to respond, emotions overcoming her.

"Yes, son, we are currently unharmed," Gard answered for them as silent sobs wracked Rayne's body. Relief and joy bathed the males as she surrendered to the emotions and allowed herself a moment to shed a tear.

"We were drugged somehow and captured while we were investigating our old home here in the Mountains," Gard continued, allowing his hand to reach out to his mate as he talked. He gently brushed his fingers against hers. "The drugs are losing their potency, so we are becoming conscious more frequently. Our captors are not aware of this, and we're doing everything we can to keep it that way."

They could both feel their son's relief through their bond though his mental tone didn't show any indication of that relief. "You feel closer than when Mother spoke to me before, though that is expected as I was on the train at the time. We have been travelling up the mountainside for the past day. I think we are nearing your location."

Contained within his words was a sense of anticipation, a determination for him to reach them as soon as possible. The fact that he was saying 'we' meant he wasn't alone, and that was a relief to know. Hopefully his companions would be enough to keep him centred so he wouldn't do anything rash to rescue them.

"Who is with you, son?" Rayne asked, smothering down her maternal instincts to protect, and reminding herself that he was one of the strongest beings on the planet. One of the lessons they had recently learned was to stop underestimating the Vârcolac. It was time she remembered that.

Agony didn't answer at first, and for a moment she thought something had happened to him as his mental touch seemed to disappear, but then it was back again, though he felt more guarded.

"We can discuss that once we have rescued you. Our enemy has the ability to compromise minds within my group, and I must consider the possibly that they may have compromised you while you've been unconscious." His tone sounded almost apologetic. It couldn't have been easy refusing to answer his parents.

His words also caused a sense of unease to overcome them, and they both searched their minds, trying to find some anomaly that would bear out his words. Rayne couldn't sense anything out of the ordinary but then she wondered if she would be able to sense anything if it were well hidden.

"I think we're okay, but maybe it is wise for you to keep your council," she finally agreed. "I'm just relieved to know that you're not alone."

"Someone's coming," Gard suddenly hissed, pulling his hand back to his side and trying not to freeze instinctively. They had to allow their bodies to go limp, to feign unconsciousness. Any change is body language could alert their captors to the fact they were conscious.

Rayne could tell there was more than one person entering the dark cave, and from the scents in the air she was surprised to note that one of the males coming their way was a wolf. What were wolves doing with the vampires surrounding them? There was nothing but animosity between European vampires and wolves. It didn't make sense. The sound of a body hitting the hard ground sounded loud in the damp cave and it was all she could do not to flinch.

"The Master wants the dog alive," a male growled, his voice deep and guttural.

"He's breathing," his companion answered, his voice recognisable from previous visits to the cave. "It's not my fault he wouldn't surrender. If his inferior genes are not up to healing his injuries, then so what? We have the abominations as bait. We don't need a fucking dog too, no matter if he is part of the human girl's pack."

The other male didn't appear to share the same opinion, his voice terse as they argued. "Have it your way. If he dies, I will be sure to let the Master know your thoughts on the matter."

There was the sound of a scuffle and then a sharp cry. Staying still was excruciating but neither of them moved.

"You can't let the Master know anything if you're dead, Charles. I suggest you remember that the next time you want to threaten me." There was another harsh cry and then silence for a few moments.

"Fine, I'll keep my mouth shut. There was no need to break both my arms, you psycho."

"You've already healed so stop your whining," was the response. Now that he had made his point, their usual captor seemed to lose all interest in the wolf and his companion's threats. "Do we need to re-dose the abominations?"

"I only did it less than half an hour ago. They're good for another few hours."

"Good. I'm tired of being in this stinking cave." The voices faded as the two vampires made their way out of the cave, and Rayne silently let out the breath she hadn't realised she was holding.

"The drug potency has almost failed," she mentally projected to Agony. "If it's been less than half an hour since they last dosed us and we're awake already then we should be able to assist in our rescue. Thank goodness we're so ancient that we can survive without nourishment for longer than others. Our captors will probably expect us to be weak due to lack of food."

"What about the wolf they've just brought in?" Gard asked. "They said he was part of the human girl's pack. We can't leave him behind." It went against everything in him to leave a captive behind even if he didn't personally know the wolf.

Agony interjected, his tone becoming alert. "They brought a wolf and said he was part of a human girl's pack? They must be talking about Natalia. Why else would they bother with a wolf unless it was something to do with her?"

The way he said the girl's name piqued both his parents' interest. They'd never heard him speak a girl's name with that tone before, not even Dara, and he was particularly close to her. Rayne wanted to ask but knew it wasn't the time.

"From what they said, it appears someone they call the Master wanted the wolf as a hostage. He's pretty banged up though from what we heard. He may not be able to make it out of here on his own." Gard answered.

There was a long pause, as if Agony was conflicted on what to do. Finally, he replied, his mental sigh troubled. "Stay with the wolf. If he is part of Natalia's pack, then we need to keep him safe. She's already lost too much in the past few days. I won't have her losing anyone else she cares about."

The vehemence of his tone increased his parents' interest. It was clear that this Natalia was very important to their son. So important that he was willing for them to remain in a dangerous situation to help a strange wolf. It was so out of character that Rayne was struggling to get her head around it.

"Who is this girl, Agony? Why is she and her pack so important to you? I thought you would be telling us to do everything we could to get out of here as soon as possible."

Another mental sigh sounded through their heads, and Agony's tone was almost resigned when he spoke again. "We don't have time to go into that right now, Mother. Your captors had the upper hand only because of the potency of their drug. Now you're becoming immune to that, I know you can take care of yourselves when we attack them. Please, protect the wolf if you can. Not at the expense of your lives, of course, but for now if you can protect him it will keep me free to take care of the rest of them when we get there."

"We will do all we can, son," Gard answered, risking reaching out to take Rayne's hand once more, and giving it a tight squeeze. If the wolf and girl was important enough to their son that he would ask them to stay where they were, then they would do their best to help him.

"We're going to loosen up our limbs a bit. I think we can make some movements. If all goes well, I will give the wolf some blood to help him heal faster. It might be better if we don't communicate too much until you're ready to launch the attack, just in case there is some way this Master person can detect it. I don't think there is, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious."

They could feel Agony's agreement, also that his mental touch was less troubled, as if talking with them and knowing they weren't so helpless anymore was easing some of his stress. "We will be there as soon as we can. Stay safe."

Rayne felt a strong sense of loss as their son broke off contact and they were once again alone in the cave, but there was hope too, knowing that soon they would be free from captivity, and hopefully on their way home with everyone safe.

"It will work out, Rayne," Gard soothed her, squeezing her hand again. "Our captors likely won't be back for a few hours judging from their conversation. Let's work our muscles back into action so that we'll be ready for whatever is to come. I'll look at the wolf too and see if there is any way we can help him. Now is the time for us to prepare for going home. We're done being the victims in this situation. Let's get a plan together so we can react when needed."

Stretching out her senses, Rayne tested the air around them until she was satisfied that none of their captors were in the cave, then she turned her head slowly to look at her mate and smiled. "I love you," she whispered quietly, her throat dry from having been without water for so long.

"I love you too, Sarayne," he whispered back, his eyes shining with the love he held in his heart.

~~~~~

Agony slowly opened his eyes, scanning the tree line for his companions. He'd fallen to the back of the trail as he'd spoken to his parents, signalling to Dara to take the lead, but not providing a reason for wanting her to do so. He had every intention of filling her in once he knew what was happening but hadn't wanted to break the mental connection to his parents long enough to tell her this telepathically. It was a testament to how much his fellow Vârcolac trusted in him that she'd taken the lead with only a mildly questioning raise of her eyebrow.

He could sense the group wasn't that far ahead of him, and quickly upped his pace. Natalia was in her customary place beside Mila and Dante, and he heard a smattering of conversation about Seer abilities as he passed them. Mila was taking every opportunity to answer the girl's questions about her abilities and hopefully teach Natalia how to enhance and train her own. Ordinarily Agony would have been slow to trust a stranger with something or someone he cared about, but the blind Seer gave him no cause for concern. Neither did her constant shadow, the enigmatic vampire Dante.

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,499 Followers