Stranded

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That is quite the field, are you pursuing a Masters or a Ph.D.?"

"I am aiming for my Ph.D, but I have only started the general education classes so far. Do you have a degree?" I asked politely. He chuckled and shook his head.

"I don't think they have a Ph.D in mechanics, I learned my skills through apprenticeship."

"Nothing wrong with keeping traditions strong," I replied. The clock above the fireplace chimed 11 and he finished his remaining cocoa before standing abruptly.

"If you will excuse me now, I must turn in. Will I see you for breakfast?"

"Uh, what time is breakfast?"

"Sun up." I grimaced and shook my head.

"I am afraid I am not a morning person, I'll probably be up closer to lunch time." He took my now empty cup and exchanged a good night before leaving to the kitchen to rinse them. I made my way back upstairs and into the guest room, making sure the door was shut tightly behind me. The house was old and between the water dripping and the wind forcing creaks from every board, I wasn't able to fall asleep until well after one in the morning.

~

I was awoken by Hank's giant wet tongue leaving long trails of love down my face and I giggled, pushing him away.

"I don't want to get up," I groaned, pulling the blanket up over my head. Hank brought his paws up onto the bed and tried to pull the blanket away. Unfortunately, Hank was a pretty giant dog and in the game of tug-o-war, he outweighed me and I ended up on the floor with a loud thump.

"Good morning miss sleepy head, I was beginning to wonder if you were going to sleep all day." I quickly sat up and adjusted my pajamas, making sure my boobs hadn't popped out as I gestured to Hank.

"As if he would let me. Did you put him up to this?" Sam feigned shock before hiding a mischievous smile behind a cup of coffee. He held out an additional cup at the same time.

"I wasn't sure how you like your cup of joe, but there is creamer in the fridge door and sugar is next to the toaster. I figured you wouldn't want to sleep the entire day away," I shook my head and accepted the cup of coffee, testing the temperature before taking a hesitant sip.

"I am not picky, I like all coffee; except decaf. Decaf is evil; I had an ex who switched my coffee for decaf once..." I stopped as I realized the last thing Sam wanted to hear about was my ex-boyfriend.

"You have a lot of ex's?" I nearly choked on my sip of coffee as I processed that yes, he really had just asked me that out loud; and after a minute I realized he wanted an answer.

"I don't just share that kind of information with anyone."

"Is that because it's a high number?"

"You know, I would appreciate it if we changed the subject." It didn't matter how nice Sam was, I wasn't about to allow him to ask me such invasive questions. It took a moment for the words to register and he shook his head, looking suddenly embarrassed.

"My apologies, I...I was out of line... you are right. It's none of my business. Please, enjoy your coffee. I left you a sandwich in the fridge. Help yourself to whatever you need." He turned and walked away before I could respond. I shrugged and shut the door, quickly rummaging through my suitcase for an outfit to wear. After tossing on a pair of jeans and a red spaghetti strap tank top and one of my nice bras. I wore a C cup, but if I was being honest with myself I was probably more of a B cup. But the right bra made everything look bigger; I grabbed my coffee and made my way downstairs. The rain had finally stopped but gazing out into the backyard I could see some of the damage from the storm. His entire yard was like muddy marshland, he wore giant rubber boots as he made his way towards his garage where he had already backed my car in.

I felt a jolt of excitement run through me, I could possibly be back on the road by dinner! Quickly finishing my coffee, I slipped my shoes on and made my way carefully out towards the garage to join Sam.

"How goes it?" I asked casually as I approached, doing my best to give him a warm smile. But the look on his face said he was not pleased.

"Well if it was just a flat tire you'd be out of here within the hour. But it looks like she overheated and blew a head gasket." He announced.

"Is that bad?" I knew little to nothing about the inside of cars, unless it came to checking the oil; that I could manage.

"I'm afraid it'll cost more than she's worth to fix it," he replied as he started wiping the extra grease on a blue paper towel. I found it almost endearing that he referred to machines as women, the water heater tank, and now the car. I wondered briefly if his truck was a she too.

"Well I suppose I'll just have to call my Dad and see if I can't catch a greyhound home."

"Soon as the roads are clear, I can take you into town; got a phone at the office you can use to call your father. As I said last night, there is no service this far out."

"The roads are still flooded?"

"I'm afraid while we slept there was a small mudslide, it's going to take them at least a few days to clean up the debris and clear the roads again. Heard it on the radio this morning...at breakfast." He shot me a pointed look that said if I'd been there I would have heard all this too.

I looked away, how did he manage to make me feel like a scolded child?

"What if we go the other direction?" I implored.

"The river has flooded that bridge. We are stuck like a pig in mud," he replied, shutting the hood with a sigh. I took slow, deep breaths as I concentrated on the shortening list of things I did have control over. It usually helped to calm me down when I felt the edges of panic creeping in.

"Listen, it's really no trouble at all. Soon as the roads clear, I'll make sure you get where you need to go. In the meantime, please, consider my home your home."

"Thank you, if there is anything I can do to repay you, please just let me know." He flashed me a boyish grin as he began putting his tools away.

"Oh I'm sure I'll think of something." he chuckled. I turned around and made my way back into the house, trying not to let my disappointment show. He was being so kind and generous, but the sooner I was back on the road the better I was going to feel. The idea of being someone's charity didn't sit right; it felt burdensome. I discarded my shoes and padded my way into the kitchen where I helped myself to the simple ham sandwich that was sitting in the fridge and a glass of milk.

For what I could only assume was a bachelor, he kept his house moderately clean. I made my way up the stairs, passing a few closed doors on my way and curiosity started whispering in my ear. With a quick glance around, I opened the first room, peeking in I discovered it was Sam's If the dirty clothes hadn't given it away, the dresser and nightstand tops covered in empty beer bottles did. I backed up as quickly as I entered and listened for any signs that Sam had returned. When I was greeted by eerie silence, I moved to the next door, the one across the hall; only to find it locked. The handle stopped mid turn and didn't budge further. I bent over and tried to peek through the keyhole, but all I could see was the corner of a bed, and a dresser, both of which were covered in layers of dust as though it hadn't been touched in years.

"That used to be my sister's room." His voice startled me enough that I jumped and let out a small yelp before turning to face him, a hand on my chest to steady my racing heart.

"I'm sorry, I-uh- I got a little lost." It was a lame excuse, I knew it the moment it left my lips but there was little I could do to take it back. I hadn't even heard him walk up the stairs, how had he managed to be so quiet?

"You mean you missed the one with the wide-open door?" He pointed to the room across the hall, the door was indeed wide open, displaying the mess I had left scattered across his hardwood floors. I felt my cheeks redden as I glanced over, thoroughly embarrassed at being caught red handed.

"Always in the last place you look," I replied with a sheepish smile, making my way towards the room. Praying he'd just let it go, but there was no such luck. Sam grabbed my bicep and pulled me back, forcing a gasp of surprise from my mouth.

"Her room is off limits; nobody goes in there." he announced, his grip tightening as he tried to emphasize his point.

"U-Understood, I didn't mean any harm. Please, let go now, you're hurting me," I pulled my arm back with a jerk that almost landed me into the wall. He looked down at his hand, then my arm and it was his turn to look sheepish. All that anger seemed to melt away.

"I'm sorry; nobody's been in there since her passing." he explained hastily, his hands falling to his sides.

I rubbed my arm where he had grabbed me; his grip was a lot stronger than he looked capable of.

"I'm sorry, I won't go near there again," I swore. I couldn't imagine losing the only family I had left. My father was the only person I had left in the world, and I wasn't sure what I would do when he finally passed. I just had to deal with the fact that day was coming sooner than I really wanted it to.

"I didn't mean to grab yah, I'm sorry. Just seeing you outside her door...for a second...I just really miss her," he confessed in a moment of pure vulnerability. Without a second thought I wrapped him in a tight embrace.

"Grief can be a terrible burden to bear." I couldn't imagine having to go through it without my father. Sam hugged me back, his thick arms wrapped around my torso and for a moment it felt really good to be in someone's arms. It had been too long since someone had held me so close.

He had some lean muscles hidden beneath his dark blue coveralls, the front open enough to reveal an old worn AC/DC t-shirt. For someone who had been working all morning, he still smelled of Irish Spring and a little bit like Hank. A slight blush rose to my cheeks, why in the world had I smelled him? When I pulled away and I felt relieved to discover that Sam had color in his cheeks as well. He rubbed the back of his neck, suddenly at loss for words.

"I..uh..I better feed the hounds." Without another word he was gone as quickly as he arrived, leaving me in a daze as I made my way back into the guest room and shut the door. I could already tell there would be bruises where his fingers had dug in; did he not realize how strong his grip was? Or had he been so wrapped up in his grief that he hadn't noticed?

Get a grip! I scolded myself. Why was I even getting hung up on this guy anyways? Even if Sam was interested in me there was no way dating was an option. Once I left I would probably never see him again, he'd be nothing but a lingering memory.

I turned on the old vintage radio beside the bed, adjusting the several knobs until it settled on a station I could stand. I picked up my scattered things and carefully packed them back inside my suitcase, shoving it in one of the corners of the room and looked out the window as Sam crossed the back yard and closer to the large fenced in area. He reached into a large trash can and began scooping what looked to be dog food into a rather large bucket. The sound of the kibble hitting the plastic started off a chorus of baying bloodhounds. There had to be at least half a dozen and they all came running up to the fence, tails wagging furiously while they waited for their meal. Sam's face lit up at the sight of them and once he was inside the gate, he poured the food out in a large trough. As the dogs ate he knelt down beside them and began running his hand through their fur; lifting one paw at a time as though inspecting them. It didn't take very long for them to finish their meal and they all turned and piled onto Sam covering him in frothy post meal slobber. He made sure to pet each one, letting them kiss him before moving onto the next. They were almost twice the size of Hank who sat outside the fenced area, barking at what I could only assume were his brothers and sisters. Sam looked up and waved; I quickly dodged out of sight, embarrassed having been caught watching. When I was sure he was no longer looking I moved away from the window and grabbed one of my text books from my suitcase, settling back onto the bed.

By the time I finally finished the book it was nearly dinner time. Sam had spent the rest of the afternoon doing things outside and I had a feeling I was partly to blame. He had offered me his home, given me food, a hot shower and I had gone snooping around his house. I was being a terrible guest which is why I decided I was going to make dinner. I made sure to check the crockpot first, in case he had decided to slow cook another meal. I felt a burst of excitement when I found it empty and after a quick look through the kitchen I found what I needed for a simple shepherd's pie. With my mother's passing, I had cooked more than my share of meals; my father's highest culinary skill consisted of ordering decent take out. After some further searching I found the necessary ingredients for a small side salad and began washing and dicing the vegetables. By the time Sam and Hank made it inside, I was already whipping up some homemade Italian dressing.

"Well this is quite the surprise," he announced with a giant bright smile.

"I thought I would do something to repay the kindness and generosity you have shown me, and to apologize again. I am really sorry about snooping around. Curiosity got the better of me, and I promise you it won't happen again."

"I should be the one apologizing, I had no right to grab you the way I did. My sister has been gone for a long time now and I have no excuse for acting that way." I exhaled with relief, he wasn't as angry as I had thought.

"I'll forgive you if you forgive me; but you might want to hurry and wash up before it gets cold." He looked down at his grease covered hands and made his way up the stairs without another word. I hung up the apron and washed my hands, running them through my hair a few times before adjusting my shirt and sitting down. By the time Sam came back downstairs it looked as though he had taken time for a quick shower. He was dressed in a button up shirt and a pair of jeans his hair was wet and slicked to the side; I found it flattering he had dressed up a little.

He sat down and dished himself a hefty plate, closing his eyes as he tried his first bite and moaned appreciatively. I felt myself beam with pride, it was a simple recipe but when I executed it correctly, it tasted wonderful. It was all about seasoning the meat and boiling the potatoes just right.

"I wish I had known I was going to be in the presence of a domestic goddess." I giggled and slapped a hand over my mouth. Where the hell had that come from? It didn't even sound like my laugh. I was far from being domestic, it had taken years and practice to cook the few meals I did manage; but I didn't see any need to reveal that.

"It's one of my father's favorite dishes," I replied, helping myself to the casserole. We ate mostly in silence with Hank's snoring for background noise and I was rinsing my plate off when Sam stopped me.

"I was wondering if you'd like to maybe watch a movie with me?"

"Sure! Lemme go brush my teeth real quick." After a quick brush I applied a little lip gloss before heading back downstairs. By the time I made it back downstairs Sam already had a full fire started, a giant bowl of freshly buttered popcorn, and a bottle of wine beside two empty glasses.

"The alcohol isn't a requirement," he announced as he slid a VHS tape into the player. It had been nearly a decade since I had seen a VHS player but chose to keep the comment to myself.

"I actually enjoy a bit of wine, what is tonight's feature?" I asked as I poured us each half a glass. Where had his TV been hiding? I hadn't recalled seeing it before, but I shrugged and made myself comfortable at the end of the couch, watching as he settled in beside me. He sat nearly a foot away, but I could only smile at his shyness.

"It's called Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," he replied. And I could tell immediately it was an older movie; something from my grandparents' era.

It told the story of a pretty cook who had rushed into marriage after a brief courtship. Upon arriving at her husband's home, she's introduced to his six ill-mannered brothers. After getting over the initial displeasure, she decided to teach them proper behavior and to help them find wives of their own. While I found the movie outdated, Sam seemed to actually enjoy it; I even found him tapping his foot along to the musical parts. Hank had decided about halfway through the movie that the spot between Sam and I was the perfect place for him to settle down. When I reached over to absently to pet the hounds head, I turned a furious shade of red when I my hand touched Sam's hand instead. After pulling away and apologizing, I folded my hands in my lap for the rest of the video except to refill my wine glass. Sam was sweet and handsome, but I knew flirting with him would lead me nowhere and it wouldn't be fair of me to let him believe otherwise; and yet none of that stopped me from wanting him. I was pretty sure he wanted me to if the constant lingering stares were anything to go by. Why do we both have to be so awkward? I sighed.

As the tape began to rewind, I stumbled a bit towards the staircase; realizing I had a little too much wine. Sam insisted on walking me to upstairs to make sure I made it without incident, much to my chagrin. My heart raced at the close proximity and I knew if I was ever going to make a move it had to be now or never, consequences be damned. With liquid courage running through my veins I turned and kissed him as he turned to tell me good night. I surprised him as I reached up and wove my hands through his hair, pulling him down so that our lips met, and I could taste him. He tasted like butter and wine.

At first, Sam was taken aback, nearly stumbling into the wall as I pressed myself closer against him; then he kissed me back. For a minute, all my worries just slid away until it was only the two of us. There was nothing else besides me and the handsome stranger, whose lips were soft and gentle. I could feel him harden beneath his jeans, and my hand slid down to touch him. The moment I did his eyes shot wide open and he panicked, shoving me back so hard I landed on my butt on the floor and he started backing up down the stairs, shaking his head.

"I can't do this... we can't do this...I-I gotta go," he insisted as he disappeared from sight. I sat there stunned, I'd been rejected before but never so forcefully. I could hear the back-door slam shut and the sound of the hounds baying from their cage. I looked around for a minute through blurry eyes, trying to gather myself. I had acted like a drunken idiot! I stood, slid into my room and shut the door behind me, forcing away the tears. Maybe he wasn't as interested in me as I originally thought. Maybe he was just being overly polite, and I had misinterpreted all the signs. But he had kissed me back, hadn't he? I felt like a hideous pathetic fool as I curled up and let the warm buzz of the alcohol drag me into the dark world of slumber.

12