Strength of the Soul Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jim was found guilty of all charges, which included sabotage, conspiracy to commit murder, and adultery. He was stripped of all rank, pay, and privileges and handed a dishonorable discharge. Then he was sentenced to life at Fort Leavenworth.

As promised, Harold could shield Rhonda somewhat, thanks to her cooperation. She was found guilty in a federal court of being an accomplice after the fact. She received a three-year sentence in a minimum security facility with Harold's intervention. As promised, Mike sent her pictures of Lisa but never took his daughter to see her in prison.

"Why can't I see Mommy anymore, Daddy?" Lisa asked one day.

"Your mother did a very bad thing, sweetheart," Mike said. "And to tell you the truth, she's too embarrassed and she doesn't want you to see her where she is right now. I know that she loves you, though, and she misses you a lot."

"Is it because of what she did with Uncle Jim?"

"Yes, sweetheart, it is," Mike said.

"Promise me you'll never leave me like that, Daddy? Please?" Mike took her in his arms and held her tight. He wanted to promise her more than anything, but he always taught her to tell the truth and never make promises that couldn't be kept.

"There might come a time when I do have to leave, but I'll do my best not to, okay?"

"Okay, Daddy. I love you so much."

"I love you too, Little Angel," Mike said. Fortunately, his work kept him busy and in one place. Mike struggled with the demands of single parenthood, but he had a lot of support, especially from Lisa's teachers.

One of those teachers, Alice Hemmings, had lost her husband in a fiery air crash. Mike met her husband a few times, a captain who served in a different squadron and liked the man. After his death, Mike stepped up to help Alice when he could, and the two of them became good friends.

They began dating a few months after the funeral and became quite close. Alice fell in love with Lisa, and the two girls became inseparable.

In November 1964, JFK was re-elected to the White House. That same month, Mike and Alice got married. After getting Rhonda's permission, Alice adopted little Lisa.

"Lisa needs a mother, Rhonda, and you don't seem too interested in seeing her anyway," Mike said, handing Rhonda the paperwork. Rhonda said nothing as she looked over the paperwork, quietly signed it, and handed the package back to Mike.

"Tell Lisa I'm sorry and I wish her all the best," Rhonda said quietly.

"I will," Mike said, collecting the package. "Of course, you know this means no more pictures or letters."

"I know," Rhonda said, fighting back the tears. "Goodbye, Mike. And good luck with your new family."

"Goodbye, Rhonda," Mike said, leaving the room. He never saw her again after that. Rhonda waited until she was back in her cell before she broke down crying. With Lisa's adoption, there was nothing left for her on the outside but loneliness.

On July 20, 1969, Mike, Alice, Lisa, and four-year-old Michael Barnes, Jr., watched Neil Armstrong walk on the moon. By now, Mike was a full Colonel and was being fast-tracked for his first star. After watching the first moonwalk, Mike stepped outside and looked up at the night sky. Lisa joined him a few minutes later.

"What's on your mind?" Mike asked.

"I was just wondering what they're doing up there right now," she said.

"Hmm. Maybe they're looking up at Earth wondering what we're doing right now. You still wanna be an astronaut? Go up into outer space?" Mike asked.

"Yes, I do," Lisa told him. "You think they'll ever let girls become astronauts?"

"If I have anything to say about it, yes," Mike replied. "Where would you like to go?"

"There," Lisa said, pointing to a bright star. "'Second star to the right... and straight on to morning," she added, quoting a line from the old Peter Pan movie. Mike smiled as he hugged his precious daughter.

"From your lips to God's ears, sweetheart," he said as a meteor streaked across the dark sky.

"'Cause I've got faith of the heart

I'm going where my heart will take me

I've got faith to believe

I can do anything

I've got strength of the soul

And no one's gonna bend or break me

I can reach any star

It's been a long road..."

....

Fade to black...