Strong Safety Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Raiders' approach was exactly what we expected. After picking up a first down we managed to get them to 3rd and 6 at their own 41-yard-line. They made a substitution so we were allowed to bring on our Nickle package. This meant we had our two best outside pass-rushers in the game. I slide down to cover the slot receiver and prepared our first surprise.

Our outside corner was coming on a blitz and we were playing an underneath zone. Eugene was off like a shot at the snap. Quarterbacks are taught to throw toward the direction of the blitz and we were counting on him not seeing me slide under in that direction. Good game plan and I even managed to execute it. I am not a burner like a lot of cornerbacks but if you give me a head start then I can usually stay ahead. I jumped the out route and took off toward the goal line. The QB had the angle on me but I think he regretted catching up to me. My stiff arm to the crown of his helmet looked like a Madden highlight. He was still lying on the ground when I stepped into the endzone.

If only it could have gone like that all afternoon. Our offense never could get going against the Raiders' defense. They managed a field goal in the 2nd quarter and a touchdown in the 4th. Our defense played hard and managed 2 additional turnovers but by the time the final horn sounded we had lost 35-17.

Grandpaw and Lauren were waiting at the gate when started making our way to the bus for the ride back to the hotel. I gave them a quick smile and wave. Our return flight would leave at 7 AM so we would have a team meal and then be free for a couple of hours. We could check out with the strength and conditioning coach but had to be back by our 9 PM curfew. No exceptions.

Liam: we're going to be free for a couple of hours starting at 7. Team meal then free time and curfew at 9

Lauren: want us to pick you up?

Liam: please, I'll be in the lobby at 7

Lauren: can't wait

I was exhausted and sore but one of my favorite things about spending time with Lauren is that it settled me: emotionally and mentally. I headed to the lobby at 6:55 only to find her already waiting. "Hey gorgeous, I am so happy to see you!" I said with a smile. "Where's Grandpaw?"

"He's back at our hotel. He said that he was going to bed early because we have to the airport so early. So, you're stuck with just me." She grinned at me.

"Stuck with the most beautiful woman in the world and the woman I'm desperately in love with. Yeah, I think I can manage. Where do you want to go?"

"Well unless we take an Uber, we're pretty much stuck with wherever we can walk to."

"The Urbanovsky Park is only a mile from here and we still have almost two hours of daylight. Wanna go for a walk?

"You're the one that played today, if you feel like strolling through the park then how could I resist."

I texted Coach Johnson and let him know who I was with and where we were headed. I got the thumbs up and we headed out.

We walked through the middle of the Tech campus, laughing and holding hands. I could feel the tension leaving my body. "So how's your bff handling her new roommate?"

"Alicia is threatening to kill you!" She cackled. "Her new roommate Aubrey is an accounting major and hates Alicia's loud personality. It's been 10 days and Alicia is already putting in a request for a new room assignment. Apparently, the dorms are full and she's going to have to wait for one to open up and hope that it's better."

"So, avoid Alicia. Dang, that's too bad because I was thinking we should invite her over for dinner one night."

"You might be able to assuage her anger if you make her something extra special."

"What are her favorites?"

"Italian, specifically chicken parmesan."

"I can try that..."

"What are two doin' here?" I heard Ty's familiar voice.

I looked over my right shoulder and saw him standing there with another guy dressed in Wrangler from head to toe. My tension was back.

"Hello Ty," I said. I pulled Lauren's hand until she was behind my shoulder. I didn't know what his intentions were but I wanted to make sure that I was between her and the two cowboys.

"Y'all are a long way from 'Bama. Thinking about changin' schools?"

"No, we played here today; we leave in the morning. Just taking in the sights around campus."

"That's great! Y'all want to head over to the arena. They've just finished layin' and draggin' the new sand. We're gonna do a little ridin'."

"No, thank you, Ty. I have to be back at the hotel by 9."

"What 'bout you, Lauren, you wanna check out the arena?" He wore a condescending smirk.

"No, Ty. I don't ever want to do anything with you again."

"Lauren, you can't be mad at me for what Zack did! I warned Liam not to upset him, both of you should've listened to me."

"Did you know what he planned?" I asked him.

"Naw, I knew he was up to something when he asked for your number but he didn't tell me anything. Must not have been that bad; he ain't in prison."

"When was the last time you talked to him?"

"The night I gave him your phone number. I followed the news reports. Said he and the other fellas got charged with sexual battery, a misdemeanor. What did he do? Show off his tallywhacker?"

Lauren's tears started flowing and her rage started to build. I felt her tense up as she got ready to lunge at Ty. "You son-of-a-bitch! He broke into our room and jacked off all over us. Told us 'You're both now mine. Marked you both.' You let that happen to me, Ty! Why the fuck did you stand by and do nothing to warn us?"

Ty's smirk disappeared. "I'm sorry that happened Lauren," he said with absolutely no contrition. "If you'd stayed with me through December then I don't think that would've happened."

"You're such an asshole!" she screamed.

"I warned you, Liam. You should've kept a closer eye on her but you're just a football pussy. I bet you didn't even bother trackin' Zack down."

I stared at him. "Zack will never ride a horse or a bull again. Just like I warned him. There are several other things he won't ever be able to do again because of what he did to Lauren. Now, we'll be on our way. Don't follow us or bother us or else."

"Yeah right, Limp. Lauren can go with you if she wants but I'm calling bullshit on your story. We both know that if Zack hadn't been drunk that night, he'd whooped your ass. I'm not afraid of you in the least. One day Lauren is gonna wake up and realize that you ain't the kinda man she needs or wants in her life." His smirk had returned. "You call me when that happens, darlin'. I'll be sure to show you what I know you've been missin'."

"Ty, Liam is almost double the man you are! He's umm, bigger and better in how he uses it. I never thought sex was that wonderful with you. It was okay but it was better with my fingers and imagination. Liam changed all of that for me. As far as getting tired of what we have, I'm with Liam for life. He hasn't asked me yet but I've already decided in my heart and mind that he's my husband. I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world."

It was my turn to smirk. "That enough of an answer for you Tiny?"

The smirk was gone but rage had replaced it. I pulled Lauren fully behind me. "Ty, I'll tell you the same thing I told those bull riders. I don't fight fair I will everything in my power to maim you. Unless you want to lose your last collegiate season then I suggest you walk away because you might beat me but I promise you it will cost you." That got his attention.

"All right, we're done here, but fuck you, Liam! I hope something really shitty happens to you and Lauren walks out on your ass."

"Even then I wouldn't come to you, asshole!" she screamed at him.

I led her away; she was still spittin' mad and mumbling under her breath. "Are you my wife, Lauren?" I asked her quietly. "Were you just saying that because you wanted to piss him off or did you really mean it?"

"That's the way I think of myself. I want to be with every part of my heart, mind, and body. I want you forever and ever. I want your babies, grandbabies, and great-grandbabies. I want to grow old with you and help your arthritic body out of the easy chair after you get done telling stories about your playing days." She said with a smile and those marvelous dimples. "I love you, Liam, and that is a promise that I will guard with my life."

I closed my eyes and pulled her into me. I loved her vision for our future and I was willing to give everything I had to make it a reality. It was time for me to start making plans to build the future she was dreaming about.

We headed back to the hotel and I checked back in back in early. I wanted to take her to my room and hold her but that would get both of us in big trouble. The lobby wasn't the place to continue our conversation so we decided to order her Uber. I hated the thought that Ty might be lurking so I waited with her and made sure to put her into the car. "Make sure you drop her off at the front door of her hotel and watch her get safely inside, please," I instructed her driver and pulled out $20 as a tip. He nodded his agreement and accepted my money. "Safely inside," I reiterated.

+++++++++++++++++++

We fell into a regular rhythm. We both had classes from 8 to 2 on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays and 9 to 2 on Tuesdays/Thursdays. I had film sessions and team meetings in the mornings before class, practice in the afternoons, and training time interspersed.

She worked for Mom remotely in the afternoons. They had a solid relationship before they started talking daily, now they were like a true mother/daughter relationship. Mom was teaching Lauren the marketing strategies she used and Lauren helped Mom make her business more efficient. They were quite the pair.

Lauren was also helping with the rodeo team. This gave her time to hang out with Alicia and stay close to things she loved. She had decided that she didn't want to go back out on the road. She had been anxious about it before we had bumped into Ty and adamant afterward. I wanted to kick his butt for causing her to be afraid.

Thursday evenings were usually my earliest night because we had walk-throughs instead of full practice. We decided to have Alicia over for dinner on a Thursday. She had been at school for three weeks and was really struggling. I'm not a gourmet cook but I found a video and a shortcut to making chicken parmesan so I had it ready when she arrived at 6:30.

The doorbell rang at 6:32. I went to grab it; Lauren was still struggling with answering the door. "Hey, Alicia, it's great to see you!"

"Hi Liam, something smells wonderful. Hey Lauren! You are so mean to abandon me in the dorms and then rub my nose in it by inviting me over for dinner prepared by your sexy boyfriend. You're going to have to find a way to make it up to me," she said playfully as she pulled her in for a hug.

"I was going to ask how you're doing but you're just as sassy as ever," I teased her with a smirk.

"Listen, you stole my roommate and rodeo companion, you have more to make up for than she does. I don't even have a wingman to help me when I go out to meet some guys. I've been talking to my fellow nerds in the biology department and we think we've got a foolproof method of cloning you but I'm going to need one of your testicles," she said with an innocent smile. "If the first try doesn't work then I might need the second one as well."

"You're out of your damn mind," I returned her smile. "Let's eat. If I remember correctly that's the best way to keep you from saying stupid stuff."

She laughed and stuck out her tongue. "Did you watch him and make sure he did everything correctly, Lauren? I would hate to die of food poisoning."

"Give me a break; you know he's a better cook than me."

The meal went off without a hitch. We laughed and talked the whole time. It was great to see them both so relaxed. Alicia had managed to get her roommate situation sorted out and was doing well in all of her classes. "Liam, the football team is rocking! You guys haven't lost since the opener," she seemed genuinely impressed

"Yeah, it's an exciting time. We have a team goal of being perfect in conference and we've made it a third of the way through the season. We have a few challenges ahead of us but we're going in the right direction."

"Do you know when your bye week is?"

"First Saturday in October. Why? What are you scheming?" Lauren jumped in.

"I was hoping that it was the same weekend as our rodeo again. Lightening struck for y'all that weekend and I guess I'm wishing it would happen for me too."

"It will Licia, it will," I assured her. "But remember, lightning had to strike twice. I liked Lauren the night I met her at the exhibition. It didn't hit her until I jumped off of a barrel onto a running horse," I said with a wink. "When's the West Alabama rodeo?"

"You wouldn't have been on that barrel if I didn't feel something the night we met, smarty pants. It was more like static than lightning but I definitely felt something," she teased.

"It's the first weekend of November so I guess I won't be seeing you there but hopefully my roping coach will be." She looked at Lauren.

"I might be able to make the long go-around. If our game is home."

"You want to do another barrel pickup?" Alicia asked.

"He's not even sure he can be there! You just want to see him in Cowboy clothes again."

"There's absolutely nothing wrong with Liam in Cowboy clothes!" She replied with a smile.

Lauren started to stand and I took that as a cue to start grabbing the dinnerware. "Excuse me, I've got to go the bathroom. Be right back."

I headed to the sink and started preparing the dishes for the dishwasher. "She won't be back there long but I have a quick question. Do you think you could help me with my proposal? I'm still getting prepared so you can't say a word to Lauren but you're her best friend and I'm going to need some help."

Her face got flushed with excitement and her hands covered her mouth to quiet her squeal. She nodded furiously.

"Seriously, not a word! You've got to calm down before she gets back in here or you're going to give it away."

"Okay!" she said in a hoarse whisper still way too excited.

"Drink down that tea and if she comes in just start coughing."

She grabbed the glass and start drinking quickly but burst into a coughing fit before she was halfway finished.

Lauren came out of the hallway as she was coughing. "Slow down there, cowgirl. I won't let Liam give you mouth-to-mouth just because you try and drown yourself."

She immediately smiled and playfully flipped Lauren the bird. "Just for that I'm not even going to offer to help with the dishes. You should make her do them herself, Liam."

"Nope we do them together, among other things," Lauren shot back at her.

I smiled and wiggled my eyebrows at Alicia.

"Gross! Y'all have probably done on the table haven't you!" Lauren turned bright red and tried to stifle her giggling.

"I cleaned it really well afterward," I said smiling.

"On that note, I'm going to get out of here. Thank y'all for feeding me tonight. I've missed you guys and I'm happy that you're both back here." She walked over to Lauren and gave her a big hug. "I love you, Lauren."

"Love you too, Alicia."

She strolled over to me and wrapped me up in a big hug as well. "I love you as well. Take good care of her."

"I love you too. I'm proud of you and we're here anytime. Stop and see us often"

"Thank you and thank you, Lauren. I'll see y'all again soon."

++++++++++++++++

A week later, I had the foundation of my plan. I had already called Harry and asked for Lauren's hand. "Laim, I would be proud to call you my son and have you father my grandchildren. Thank you for honoring me and please make sure to give me as much notice as possible of the wedding date. I wouldn't miss it for the world but I would like to schedule my vacation to be down there for a few days."

I also talked to my family. I had played a home game and so we drove down and had Sunday dinner with them all. Grandpaw was grilling steaks and I walked out back to chat with him and Poppee. I looked back over my shoulder to make sure that Lauren was nearby when Poppee started, "It's gettin' to be about that time, isn't it? When are you going to ask her?" I looked at him and he smiled at me.

"I'm thinking pretty soon. Is it that obvious?"

"To us, yeah. To her most definitely. You only get one shot at it so make sure you do it right."

"Papaw, do you have anything to add?"

"I'm a little bit worried about it to be honest. This is stirring up a lot of hard memories for me and your Grandmaw."

"What's worrying you?" I asked him.

"You're still both very young, Liam."

"Yes sir, and I don't have an answer for that but we are already living as man and wife. If something were to happen to our relationship it wouldn't change the pain and heartache. Lauren told someone the other day that in her heart is she already my wife. I feel the same way. In my heart, she is my wife and I am her husband. We just want everyone to know it and celebrate it with us."

He smiled. "Seems like you two understand the important part. Never lose sight of it."

"Yes sir. What do y'all think Mom is going to say?"

Poppee said, "From our previous conversations, I think that she's already accepted it as a foregone conclusion. I think she'll be overjoyed that you two have come to this conclusion on your own."

Dinner was great and we talked about football, Alicia, the rodeo team, and Mom and Lauren's work. We laughed and enjoyed our time. I looked at every face and counted my blessings. This is my family; every single one of them mattered more to me than my own life. I knew that it wouldn't be this way forever but for now, I savored the moment.

+++++++++++++++

I was out of town for my birthday. We were at Valdosta State and we smoked them. I had 6 solo tackles including a sack and fumble recovery. My season had been going great and it was looking like I would make the Division 2 Elite 100. We were still perfect in the conference and were almost a lock for the playoffs.

Valdosta was close to Samantha and Darren's home. I didn't want to see them in person but I was sure that they would insist. Lauren's, and subsequently my, relationship with them had become quite strained. They were upset with her about the lawsuit and upset with me for taking her side. I would have preferred to do everything over the phone but I didn't want them to insist on an in-person meeting and ruining my proposal plan.

"Hello, Liam, to what do we owe the pleasure?" Samantha's greetings were always too formal and impersonal.

"Hi Samantha, I need to talk to you about Lauren and me. Can you talk right now?"

"Hold on, if this is what I think it is then you'll need to speak with Darren and me."

"Darren! Liam is on the phone for us," I heard her shouting, so much for her impeccable manners.

"Alright Liam, you're on speaker with both of us."

"Hello Darren, I'm sure you both know why I'm calling," I started.

"Liam we're so glad that you have come to your senses and are going to help us get Lauren on board with seeking compensation from the school and the hotels. I'm sure they will be willing to settle out of court quickly," Darren interrupted.

"Sorry, but that's not why I'm calling you. I still fully support Lauren and stand by her decision."

"WHAT?! Then why are you calling us, Liam?" Samantha demanded.

"I'm going to ask Lauren to marry me and wanted to let you know as a matter of respect."

"Liam, please don't do anything so foolish!" Darren exclaimed. "I know you and Lauren are infatuated with one another but it would never work out for you two long-term. Lauren is going to graduate ahead of you and we're going to help her get set up in life and introduce her to a young man more in line with her status. You're a nice young man, Liam, but you'll never be able to give Lauren the life that we have planned for her. It would be better for both of you if you just walk away from her now. I didn't realize how deep your obsession with her is getting."