Strong Safety Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"WOW! You know how to make a girl feel appreciated. Lauren gets a great guy, the ring of her dreams, and I get the enchilada combo plate," she laid the guilt trip on thick.

"Okay, okay get what you want. I guess I'll just have water." I added with my own dejected tone. Two could play this game.

"Oh no you don't! If want sympathy, look in the dictionary between shit and syphilis." She practically crowed at me.

I couldn't help but smile. "Alright, sunshine. We'll shop while we eat queso and wait for our food to come."

I had two weeks to get the ring in hand so I could execute my proposal. With Lauren's clear instructions, it was easy to find a ring we both agreed would make her melt.

"It's perfect!" Alicia announced. "18K gold band with a 2-carat princess cut solitaire stone, now you just need to shell out $12,875 plus tax."

"Would you be able to drive to Mobile to pick it up for me if I pay for your gas?"

"Yeah, I could do that. I might need a sopapilla for dessert though."

"You had that before you even asked. I do need some more help though."

"I thought you might; what is my role in this proposal?"

"I want to get her to do the barrel buddy pickup at the rodeo in two weeks."

"I assume that you're going to be the buddy she's supposed to pick up. How are planning to ask her?"

"I want you to distract her while I get on the barrel and get ready to get on one knee. When she rides out then I will kneel on top of the barrel and present the ring."

"Oh Liam, she's going to love it and hate it all at the same time. I'm going to have to do some undercover work to get her into the right clothes. I have to dress you too!"

"Let's make sure the clothes don't cost as much as the ring," I tried to slow her down.

"Liam, this is a once-in-a-lifetime event. We have to get everything right!" She said with a smile.

++++++++++++++++

"It's almost showtime. You ready?" Alicia asked.

"No, I'm more nervous than I have ever been in my entire life."

"Well, ready or not here it comes. Your entire family is here; Harry and I are here. You're going to do great!"

"Does Lauren know that they're here?"

"No, she has no idea but if you keep acting like a jumpy cat you're going to give everything away."

"Head on then. Thank you for everything, Alicia. You're an incredible friend to Lauren and to me."

"Thank you, Liam. I'm glad to be part of y'all's story."

"Alright, cowboys and cowgirls! Tonight's demonstration of the barrel buddy pickup will feature the reigning college women's break-away roping champion, Miss Lauren Sanders, and her partner Liam Stanley. Let's give'em a big ovation," the announcer called over the PA.

Like last year I ran out and leapt atop the barrel. I reached into my back pocket and slipped the ring box out as discretely as I could. I waited for the gate to open and watched Lauren come out a full gallop astride Tate. I waited until she was about halfway and dropped off the barrel and onto one knee. I had hoped to do it on top of the barrel but I kept falling off in practice and I was even more nervous tonight.

I watched Lauren's face twist in confusion as she saw me leave the barrel and then joy blossom when she saw me drop to a knee. She brought Tate to a stop and jumped from her saddle.

"Lauren, you are the love of my life and I want to spend the rest of my life showing you how deep my love is. Would you do me the honor of being my wife; will you marry me?"

"YES!" She squealed through her tears. "I will marry you!" She kissed me in front of 1500 people like we were the only two in the entire arena. She broke the kiss and smiled at me with those gorgeous dimples. It was magical.

Epilogue:

"Mom, are you sure you won't take something for the pain?"

"No, sweetheart. I can't. Just in case."

"In case of what, Mom?"

"Liam, I know it sounds crazy but I hope to see your dad again. If I take the pain medicine I could hallucinate and it wouldn't be real."

"Is that why you refused treatment? You're hoping that you will see Dad after you pass?"

"Sweetheart, we both know that there's not a lot of hope when you get a diagnosis of stage 3 pancreatic cancer. There was no need to prolong the inevitable."

"But I'm going to miss you so much, Momma," I couldn't stop the tears from flowing again.

"I know, baby, but you and Lauren and the kids are going to be fine!"

"I never thought I would have to say goodbye to you so soon. I thought I would have you around for so much longer."

"Baby, 55 years is long enough. I got to see you marry and see all three of my grandchildren come into the world. You just keep taking care of Lauren and those babies. I need to rest a little while now."

I watched as she drifted off to sleep. I didn't know how much longer I would have her but I cherished every moment. I was glad that the hospice services would allow her to stay in her little house.

I walked back into the kitchen. "She's sleeping again," I told my family. I was so thankful that I still had both sets of my grandparents still. Even at their advanced ages, they were still helping me figure things out. Gigi and Poppee were understandably devastated to watch their daughter dying in the cruel clutches of cancer. We mourned together as we watched Mom start getting weaker and weaker.

My boys, Robert Harold and William James, were running around the backyard tormenting each other as pre-teen brothers do. My baby girl, Amy, was curled up in her Momma's lap. She was only 18 months old and our schedule had been erratic for the past 3 days.

"It's okay, baby. You can sit with her as long as you like. We have everything under control out here. Gigi and Poppee can sit with you and we've got the kids and dinner covered."

"Thank you, Sweetheart. I know it won't be long now and I don't want to lose a moment." I looked at her holding my baby girl and couldn't even find words to tell her how much I appreciate her.

We stayed in the kitchen watching the boys running around the backyard for another few minutes before Gigi, Poppee, and I headed back to Mom's room. I paused outside her door when I heard her talking.

"Thank you for coming, Will. I hoped you would. I know I've told you so many times but I love you and I'm so sorry."

I started to go in when I heard her pause when Poppee grabbed my arm to stop me. "Give her a moment, Liam. She's getting ready to go with him."

"Yes darling, I am ready. Can I come with you?" I heard her voice faltering and her breathing slowing through the cracked door.

I couldn't wait any longer and I surged through the door. She had a contented smile on her face as her breathing became shallower and raspier. Then she was gone.

We buried Mom next to Dad. I prayed that they found each other and were able to love one another the way that Lauren and I love one another. Our love kept me safe.