Strum

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You're right," he said. "You can bunk in with the French girl if you like."

"Yeah, whatever," I said, too tired to argue.

Kristyna was taken to hospital as a precaution, and I ran into Claudine at the shower, and she was speaking with the Scandinavian girl, whose hair was wrapped in a towel now. Claudine was saying, "She kept drinking, I said she probably drank too much, but she didn't listen. She kept drinking."

"You could have helped instead of complaining," I said, brushing past Claudine, and she went silent. The Scandinavian raised her eyebrows and picked up her toiletry bag and walked away.

I turned from Claudine and entered a shower cubical, waiting for the hot water to come, recalling how everyone joked the hot water here was pumped all the way from Spain on account of how long it took to arrive at the shower head, seemingly taking forever.

Washing my jeans and top in the shower was a bitch, and I wondered if I'd get the scent of vomit from them, where once I'd finished I tried to ring the water from them, which wasn't too successful either.

Back in the hall James looked how I felt, except he'd not yet showered. "I've given Claudine the room right at the end of the hall. There's a spare bed in there. And I've called the hospital to check on Kristyna, but there's no answer yet, I'm afraid. Here, give me those, I'll take them to get washed."

I let him take my wet clothes, and Amelia and the Scandinavian stood behind him, both with arms crossed, looking formidable. Amelia spoke up, "Uh uh, there's a spare bunk in my room."

I was grateful, and when she showed me the top bunk in her room Amelia whispered, "I saw your face drop when he told you to bunk in with the French girl. Thyra told me your roomie didn't raise a finger of her own to help Kristyna. And you were covered in spew and she wasn't and we all heard her carry on."

All I did was nod and whisper, "Thanks for the bunk."

I lay up there thinking, One minute I wanted to kiss a girl I hardly know, the next I'm repulsed by her!

And in the morning I want to hang with another girl I hardly know...

...It must already be morning, like one o'clock...get some sleep if you want to see her!

Fuck, what a night.

~0~

Waking up is hard to do. Especially if you're dead tired from all the night's drama. I checked my phone, noticing it was eight, and I was disoriented, bits and pieces of last night's drama forming a picture in my mind's eye.

Shit, I should get to Tanya's park!

I texted her with, I don't know if I'm going to make the park, sorry. Heaps of drama overnight. Will text later.

There were many things to do first, including breakfast. MGMT's Electric Feel was playing softly through speakers when I walked among staring strangers through the kitchen. They probably weren't staring, but to me I felt they were. Both Ameila and the Scandinavian girl, who I assumed was Thyra, beckoned me over, Amelia grooving to the music and giving me a warm hug. "Your friend's going to be okay. She's on her way back from the hospital."

Thyra poured a mug of black coffee. "You look like you could use this."

"Thanks." People were talking in hushed tones, and I asked, "What about Claudine?"

Amelia brushed her hand aside. "She's probably laying low. Don't worry about her."

I ate crappy bland porridge while the clock on the wall kept ticking along, and I checked my phone, agonising over whether I should send Tanya another message or not. In the end I did.

Hey, I'm going to try make it to the park but it won't be until later, what time will you leave?

No answer, even after checking a few times, and Thyra said, "What a big sigh you did."

Shrugging my shoulders seemed an appropriate response. James arrived, eyes bloodshot, and he walked through the backpackers milling about the kitchen, most people holding mugs of hot caffeinated liquid, and he said, "I picked Kristyna up from the hospital. She's in her room if you wanted to see her."

"Sure, thanks."

"Oh, and I washed your clothes and ran them through the dryer. I left them at the front desk. I hope they haven't shrunk."

"Thank you, you're...very kind."

James smiled but looked like he might fall asleep on his feet, and he left us, and Thyra gave me a grin and said, "He's very cute, and I think he's into you."

"I don't think so," I said, my face overly warm. "He's probably not my type, anyway."

"He's not my type either," Amelia laughed, "But I'd wager he could have any girl in this building, and probably has."

"Well," Thyra said, standing, "If either of you don't want him, I think I might see what he's doing now his shift is well and truly over."

"You go for it, girl, but I think he'll be too tired to do much for you after last night."

"I think it'll be in his interest to stay awake a while longer," Thyra said, grinning.

I huffed a little laugh, then stood. "Thanks so much for everything."

"Don't mention it," Amelia said, swiping her hand down again. "It wasn't really a drama in the scheme of things."

"Yeah," I nodded. "I'm going to check on Kristyna."

The door to the room was closed, yet the stench of bleach replaced the stench of vomit, which wasn't a major difference if you asked me. When I knocked, a soft, accented, "Hello," came from the other side, and I turned the handle and entered.

Kristyna was sitting on her bunk and packing her belongings, and she looked like hell with dishevelled hair and clothing, yet she still incredibly beautiful. "How are you feeling?"

Her smirk was one of embarrassment and she looked down. "I feel...yuk. My tummy aches. I'm so embarrassed."

"Don't be, we've all been drunk."

She nodded, clasping her hands together. "But we haven't all ridden in an ambulance. Now I have."

"Don't think anything of it, it was a precaution."

"I know. James...um, how do you say, the cute manager. He was lovely and sweet. He also said you helped me and cleaned up my mess. I'm...so sorry and embarrassed."

"It's okay," I said, sitting on Claudine's former bottom bunk opposite Kristyna. "We've all spewed from drinking and I couldn't sit back and not help you."

"Is Claudine still..."

"Still...mad?"

"Yes, is she?"

"I don't know. Did James say anything?"

She shook her head. "He said nothing. But I remember...we argued at the club, which is the last thing I recall. She was right, I drank too much."

"She tried to stop you?"

Pursing her lips, Kristyna nodded. "Yes...I should have listened."

"Like I said, we've all been drunk before."

"She likes you."

"What?"

"Claudine. She...I shouldn't say it."

"No, go on, tell me."

"No, I said too much."

Confused, I shook my head, but gave a smile, then stood. "I have to go and meet a friend."

"I don't think I'll be going anywhere today. I was supposed to do a tour, but I can't...I still feel like I'm dying."

Replying to her weak smile with a stronger one, I said, "Totally understandable."

There was a knock at the door and Claudine's voice called, "Hello, Kristyna?"

"I am in here. So is Kim."

The door opened slowly and Claudine wore a shy, sheepish look on her face. She wouldn't meet my eye and I said, "I have to go, but I'll leave you to it."

"Wait," Claudine said, her hand on my arm. "I'm sorry, Kim."

"Yeah, I'm sorry too." I turned to Kristyna and said, "Take care and I might see you later."

She smiled and nodded and I turned and walked away.

~0~

It was after eleven o'clock and the park was empty except for the leafless trees and the robin on a twig, baring its orange breast and singing a pretty twittery song.

"You have a lovely voice," I told him, and he sung some more.

I sat in what I considered Tanya's seat, the park bench where I found her yesterday morning when I first heard her singing.

Yesterday morning, I thought, listening to my little birdy friend as he sang his heart out. He flitted across to another tree, selecting a new and maybe improved perch, opened his tiny beak and sang more beautiful notes at the top of his voice.

I smiled, watching him, noticing the buildings through the bare branches. Over there, behind the station, was a big block of flats.

"See over there," I told the bird, "See the big block of flats behind the station? Tanya's from there. Do you mind flying over and telling her I'm waiting in the park?"

The bird stopped his chorus for a moment, his tiny eye falling on me, then he began singing again, probably laughing at my foolishness.

"Yeah, I'm a fool. You don't need to laugh. I did message her I was on my way. I hoped she'd come."

I laughed at myself as a droning sound filled my ears, turning into a roar, the air vibrating from a large passenger aircraft climbing into the sky over London. Amazingly it was a blue sky too, which I noticed for the first time, with a few puffy white clouds, and the plane caused thoughts of home to invade my mind, because I'd be leaving Europe in six weeks, and who knows if or when I'd return.

And I knew I'd met someone I'd like to return to or at least meet again, but I'd already blown the opportunity, because I'd not arrived here earlier. Despite the sunshine, my breath still condensed, and I rubbed my gloved hands together, looked at the twittering bird and said, "I loved your song and I'd stay for the encore, but I think it's time for me to go."

The station wasn't far, but I dawdled, wondering what I would do with myself today, and I heard a male voice call, "Kim!"

Surely some random man wasn't calling me, so I ignored him, but he called again. "Kim! Wait up."

I turned to see a man jogging towards me from a side street and my heart raced for a moment, because why would any random man be calling my name and running at me in a city where I hardly knew a soul, but I relaxed when I saw a recently familiar face. "Kevin, what are you doing here?"

Slowing to a walk and jamming his hands in his thick parker pockets, Kevin said, "Tanya lost her phone, she's been frantically looking for it."

"What? Where?"

"At home. I mean, at her and Wes' place. I stayed the night. She woke up and can't find her phone anywhere."

"How'd you know to come and look for me here?"

"Tanya said you might drop by the park. You two were going to call one another. She's fairly upset about her phone but she came down here for an hour around nine."

"Oh," I replied, feeling bad for thinking she'd abandoned me because I felt I'd abandoned her."

"Yeah, I dropped by earlier as well. I'm glad I found you."

"Yeah," I smiled, "So am I."

We walked and talked and he made a proposal. "I have a problem, Kim. Friday nights at the pub are busy, much busier than last night, and Martin and Meredith who your poor ears unfortunately suffered through last evening are not available. I can usually replace them with a DJ who I know, but he's busy, and Wes has to work back so he's not an option..."

"And you're telling me this because..."

"I heard you playing Wes' keyboard. Do you have any experience playing in front of an audience?"

Nodding, but apprehensive, I replied, "I have a little experience with audiences. But I'm not much of a singer."

"I bet you're better than you think."

"What about Tanya? Her voice is amazing."

"You may not believe this but Tanya doesn't play to audiences. She's funny like that. And I need her to work behind the bar because she's reliable and it's not entirely unusual for someone to throw a sickie on Friday evenings, just to make things interesting for me. But I can pay you to play. Fifty quid guaranteed, and I'll pay you a hundred if it's a big night."

Whoa, one hundred pounds. We turned the corner and the big block of flats was in front of us, and I stopped. "I don't have a work visa."

James faced me. "I'll pay cash in hand. Easiest money you'll ever make. Worst case scenario, the crowd ignore you, but we usually put on live entertainment anyway because it creates atmosphere. Best case scenario, they dance and sing along. Average age will be maybe forty so play songs from the nineties and naughties. If you know any comfort songs, like crowd pleasers, play them."

"Comfort songs?"

He nodded. "Yeah, songs they're familiar with. Play The Killers Mr Brightside at some point and you'll have them in the palm of your hand. Wes played it a few times and you and Wes matched one another last night so I think you have what it takes."

My mind raced, telling me to go for it, and also telling me no one wants to listen to me, the little devil on my shoulder telling me, you're your mother's daughter, but you're not her, you don't have her skills and desire to perform.

"Hey, you!" I turned to face Tanya's broad grin and dark eyes, her frizzy curls piled in a loose bun. My smile probably matched hers and she smiled even more, saying, "I'm sorry I didn't call. I can't find my phone anywhere. I feel bad but maybe I left it at work last night?"

"I was upset for a moment when you weren't at the park, but there was a better singer there this time 'round, so it wasn't a complete loss."

"Oh really?" Her eyes were open wide and she looked serious. "Who? You?"

"Not me," I chuckled, "No one you know. Just some bird."

"Who was she?"

Kevin laughed. "You hate the idea someone might be better at singing than you! But you never share your lovely voice with people beyond the park gate."

"I don't believe Kim for a bit. There was no one singing at the park."

"Oh, but it's true, he was gorgeous, he wore a little orange vest over his breast, and he was tweeting about how handsome he was, but alas, I think I was the only girl who heard him."

"What was his name?" Kevin asked. "Robin?"

"That's him, how'd you know?"

"I know the lad, he's a mighty fine singer, but his tweets are over the top."

"Who the fuck is this Robin fella taking over my park?" Tanya demanded with hands on hips.

Kevin swished his hand right over his head and gave us both a cheeky smile. "Robin's such a wee lad, yet he sings like A Flock of Seagulls, even when he ran so far away."

"He's a bit afraid of The Cure though," I grinned, "Because he doesn't love cats."

Tanya's brow creased with furrows, and she asked, "Are you two talking about a literal bird?"

"Yeah, Robin! Surely you've met him?"

She eyed me off. "You're one crazy bitch, you know that, right?"

I laughed and Kevin said, "No wonder you two get on so well."

"Ha, sure," I chuckled. Maybe I actually was crazy because I'd first set foot in the UK a few days before, met these people yesterday, and now I wanted hang out them as much as I could.

Tanya asked, "So did Kev ask you about singing?"

"He did."

"She hasn't answered me yet," Kevin said, "Because someone rudely interrupted us. So, Kim, what do you say about my proposal?"

Shrugging, I replied, "I need some practice. I suppose I'd have to make a song list."

"So you're saying yes?"

"I guess so."

"I told you you're a crazy bitch," Tanya said, her smile beaming.

~0~

Tanya and Wes' flat was actually their mothers, and though they kept the place as clean as possible, it was full to the brim with photographs, books, old records and CDs, and looked well lived in. It was most definitely home.

"Dad was a musician," Tanya said. A photo of a man hung on the wall, and he was handsome like Wes, looking smart in the green and brown blotched camouflage uniform of a soldier. "He was also in the army."

"Is he..."

"Yeah, he died when I was five."

"I'm sorry..."

"It's okay, it was fifteen years ago. I don't remember him much, but Wes does. Dad taught Wes how to play piano and guitar."

Another photo was of the family, where Tanya and Wes were kids and their handsome father and attractive mother stood behind them. "I can see where you and Wes get your good looks from."

Tanya snorted a little. "Do you think we're good looking?"

"You're stunning," I whispered, still looking at the photo. "I mean, all of you, you're a good looking family."

Kevin returned to the room. "You're right, Kim, they're a talented and good looking family. But you're a good looking young lass and I know you're talented and I'd like to see you show me what you have."

"Won't the neighbours complain?"

"Probably," Tanya said. "Fuck 'em, I'm so sick of those arseholes."

"Okay, sure," I said with a shrug, not knowing what to make of Tanya's statement. I sat at Wes' Roland and turned the volume down a couple of notches, hitting middle C to test. "What do you want me to play?"

"Play what you know," Tanya said.

"Shit..."

"No, don't play shit."

I snickered, nervously and tapped some keys, seemingly random, then forming a tune. "Do you know my name?"

Tanya eyed me. "Of course I do, why?"

"Say my name."

"Kim..."

I sang, "Wear it out like a sweater that you love..."

"Oh," she said, pointing at me, "Tove Styrke, Say My Name!"

And I sang from the start, at least half the song, and Tanya joined me in a duet till I stopped singing but kept tickling the keys.

"What a surprise," I smiled, still playing, "You know Tove and didn't even say Destiny's Child, Say My Name."

"Destiny's Who?" she said, and I gave her a look suggesting I knew she must be kidding, which she was, because she told me with a grin, then said, "Just taking the piss. Beyoncé's a personal goddess of mine."

"She's not only your goddess," I laughed. "She's the one true Goddess."

"That was great," Kevin said. "But Beyoncé might be more our demographics' generation rather than this Tove, whoever she is. They won't know too much modern pop. Like I said before, go old school."

"Awww, but Kim was great," Tanya said. "I liked it."

"Thank you," I said, beaming.

"I loved it too," Kevin added. "But people want to be familiar with the music, otherwise you'll lose them. Um...do you know any rock? Something heavier and from the past?"

"She's playing the keyboard, Kev," Tanya said. "What more do you want from her?"

"No, I think I can try something a bit different," I said, playing the keys. "Just don't be too Paranoid..."

I was pounding the keys and launched into Black Sabath's Paranoid, banging my head, my hair a flicking of blue and platinum about me.

"Holy shit!" Kevin laughed. "You're insane."

Tanya was smiling, and I caught her eye, singing, "Can you help me...occupy my brain...ohhh...yeahh..."

She pursed her lips but couldn't help her snicker, and began shaking her head.

Folding his arms and leaning against the wall, Kevin asked, "What other tricks do you have up your sleave?"

I smiled at Tanya. "Where's your guitar?"

"Oh, no, I knew it, you fucking play guitar too, don't you." She turned and began walking down the short hall. "Look what you've done, Kev, you've created a monster!"

Kevin laughed and I changed it up, selecting the organ function and selecting a tone. I looked at Kevin with my hands running over keys, and he grinned, and I played some more, finding my way into the song before starting at the chorus, "Hush, hush, I thought I heard you calling my name..."

It was Deep Purple's Hush of course, and Kevin said, "Excellent, but maybe a bit too old for our punters, but then again, I'm certain people would dance to it."

"Right, you show off," Tanya said, re-entering the room and handing over her guitar. "Let's see what other tricks you can pull."

"Okay," I said, smiling, trying to hide it, suddenly self-conscious again, plucking at the strings, turning the pegs a little to tune. "Join in if you know it."

"Yeah, this is the talk I want to hear," Kevin said, clapping his hands a few times, cheering with a, "Wooo!"

1...34567...9