All Comments on 'Superheroines Bk. 01'

by drsnip

Sort by:
  • 1 Comment
AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Story replete with bad grammar

Here are a few of the many instances of bad grammar in this story.

(1) The phrase "...they both threw a basketball..." implies two throwers but only one ball. I think you mean to say "...they each threw a basketball...", eh?

(2) Why do you put an apostrophe in the word "does"? Is it because you have seen words with an apostrophe before a final "s"? The apostrophe is properly used both in contractions, as in "don't" (meaning "do not"), and in possessives, as in "Jane's" (meaning "belonging to Jane"). I think that it is this latter usage that has you confused. All words that end in "s" do not require an apostrophe before the "s".

(3) I believe you also used the word "advise", a verb, when you meant to use "advice", a noun.

(4) Further, you exasperatingly place a semicolon (";") before the verb in many sentences. A semicolon is very much like a period -- the entire phrase preceding it should be of the form "subject - verb - object". One simply does not put a semicolon in the middle of a simple sentence.

I believe your stories will be better received if you take the time to master the basics of grammar and usage.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous