Surefoot 23: Baby Steps

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Will you all just stop this cockamamie talk? I AM NOT SCARED! I'M NOT! I'M NOT!"

She struggled with him, but he held her tighter, as she cursed, then fought... then broke down into sobs, letting him embrace her and whisper reassurances to her.

"I'm scared," she whispered finally.

"I know."

"What if... what if something happens again? And you're not there for me? You- You don't understand-"

"No?" he replied softly, stroking the back of her head. "It's something I fear every day. And I want nothing more than to tether you to me for the rest of our lives. But we both know that wouldn't be right. Or necessary; I'm not the only one who can sweep in and save you if you're in trouble. There are others. But most of all, you have yourself."

She shook her head against him in denial.

"Think not?" he asked. "Nine years ago, when the Bel-Zon attacked Salem Four, it wasn't me who saved a classroom of children and a critically-injured teacher. It wasn't anyone else. It was an eleven-year-old girl. A remarkable eleven-year-old girl who has become an even more remarkable young woman. A woman I couldn't be more proud of."

He drew back, wiping her face. "I know you're afraid to step out there. So am I. But I have faith, in you... and in the idea that, regardless of our fears, we have to still take those steps out on our own. Because they're worth it. Right?"

She nodded, sniffling, wiping her sleeve across her face and gathering herself. Then she stepped back and faced the women, breathing in sharply before finally speaking. "Commander... would it be possible to reapply for the Command program?"

"No," the woman replied simply -- waiting a heartbeat or two to look at their shocked faces before clarifying, "Fortunately, however, I never withdrew your original application."

Kami looked to her, smirking. "I hope my cub doesn't pick up that sadistic streak you've developed."

As if on cue, Misha mewled for his godmother, the Vulcan approaching and accepting him into her arms, patting his back. "I am of course completely ignorant of what you are-" Then she stopped patting and frowned. "He gave me the impression of needing burping. Now he is merely pressing against me with his erection."

Kami smirked. "He gets that from his father."

*

Deck 3 Fore, Alpha Squad Quarters -- 2035 Hours:

Misha lay on his belly on the mat, trying to raise himself up, but dropping down and giggling every time Kit, sitting cross-legged opposite him, would shoot out his long pink prehensile tongue and catch one of the honey-coated giant ants sitting between them.

Lounging on the couch, her nose in a PADD reading details of the Advanced Command Training Program, Sasha looked up and grinned, but still warned, "Make sure he doesn't eat any of those."

Kit's tongue shot out again, snatching another ant and making Misha giggle again. "He is not yet ambulatory to reach them, Good Friend Sasha, I can assure you."

"Don't count on that, Kit; felinoid babies apparently develop rather quickly."

Sitting beside Sasha, polishing one of a twin set of short Capellan swords from her homeworld, Eydiir nodded in agreement. "I suspect he will be up and on the hunt before any of us have even left the ship."

Sitting at the table opposite Rrori and Jonas playing Double Jack, Neraxis frowned. "On the hunt? What's he gonna hunt onboard?"

"Us," Rrori replied, the Caitian tossing down his latest hand in mild disgust and scowling as Jonas collected the pot. "Caitian adults will choose someone for the cubs to try and track down. You may find yourselves being pounced on from time to time-" The door to their quarters buzzed, prompting him to reply with, "Enter."

The door slid open. Giles stood there, a box in his hand, looking awkward.

Sasha swallowed as she looked up, before setting aside her PADD, rising and approaching him, not sure what to say now to him.

He flushed, glanced down once and back up again. "Hi."

"Hi."

He nodded at that, before proceeding. "I, ah, have some things of yours you left in Beta Squad's quarters."

"Things?"

"Yes, your, um... remember that underwear you got-"

She snatched the box from him, feeling the eyes of her friends on the back of her head as she nodded back. "Thanks."

He nodded again. "I, ah, saw on the duty roster that you're on the Afternoon Shift tomorrow. Do you, ah, wanna grab a coffee before you start? I, ah, was hoping for some advice for possible posts for my Preferred Assignments."

"Oh? I thought you were aiming for that hospital ship?"

"I was, but I was thinking you were right, and it might be a little too routine, so maybe one of the Ambassador-class ships would be better? Anyway, we can talk it over tomorrow... unless you think that wouldn't be a good idea?"

"Mm? No, no, that's no problem. I'll see you in the Mess Hall, 1530."

He smiled. "Great. Good night."

She stepped back, letting the door shut again. She returned to the couch, box still in hand, before she set it aside, looked at the others and asked, "What?"

"You're not gonna start something up again with him, are you?" Neraxis asked.

"What? No!" More softly, but more resolutely, she repeated, "No. We'll both be much better off now. I'm just glad that we're back on speaking terms again."

The Bolian nodded, but then asked, "Let's see the underwear."

"Stroke off."

"Eydiir?"

The Capellan quickly grabbed the box and tossed it to Neraxis, as Sasha cursed and went in pursuit of it.

And Misha laughed at it all.

*

Deck 3 Mid, Sickbay Suite -- 2248 Hours:

Sasha rushed in with a crying Misha in her arms. "Doctor Ling! Hurry! It's an Emergency!"

Ling departed from her office, alarm on her face. "What's wrong?"

The younger woman's face was pale. "I don't know! He wouldn't settle! He's been crying, and then he bit me! Maybe he swallowed something when we weren't looking, or he has a virus or colic or poisoning or-"

"Bring him over." Sasha carried him to the biobed where Ling stood, settling him down and looking up at the readings overhead. "Where are his parents?"

"They're having... some alone time. I said I'd babysit tonight! They trusted me! And now somehow I've made him sick!"

"Where were you? What were you doing?"

"We were in our Squad quarters, watching some vivids, playing cards-"

Ling nodded in understanding. "And keeping him stimulated well past his bedtime." She looked up at Sasha. "You've got a case of Cranky Baby here, Ensign."

"What? That's it?"

Ling nodded, looking at Sasha's bleeding hand. "They do have some sharp teeth at this age, don't they? Go see Igavo next door to get that fixed; I'll give your little brother a very mild sedative, and then when you take him back, put him in a dark, quiet room to let him sleep."

Sasha nodded. "You- You won't tell Dad and Kami, will you?"


"Me? No. You'd be surprised at how many secrets I keep."


Sasha smiled. "Thanks, Doctor."

Ling watched her depart, before retrieving a hypospray and ordering from the medical replicator 2ccs of ambizine -- and a subdermal tracer, loading it up and injecting the infant.

He hissed at her.

She leaned in, stroking Misha's head, her voice a soothing murmur. "You are a cute little thing, aren't you?" She sighed. "I really hope the Bel-Zon don't order me to hurt you..."

He hissed again.

THE ADVENTURES OF THE SUREFOOT WILL CONTINUE IN: SNAKES ON A STARSHIP