Surefoot 25: Cross Porpoises

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers

T'Varik set aside her mandala and rose. "Computer: Standard Illumination." As the lights dutifully rose to normal levels, the Vulcan folded her arms into the billowy sleeves of her black meditation robe. "Our relationship is required to return to its former parameters. We can no longer be physically or emotionally intimate."

"What? Where in the Seven Hells is this coming from?"

"It should be obvious to one of your intelligence. My actions and attitude during the Vlathi Incident were distinctly unbecoming of a Vulcan. And they were a direct result of the emotional bonds I have allowed to develop with you... and with Misha. Both of these must end if I am to maintain logical equilibrium and objectivity."

C'Rash stared hard at her. "T'Varik, I know that what you did to that Vlathi scared you-"

"Indeed. And the fact that I can so readily admit to that fear should be indicative of the nature of my present condition, and of the need to discontinue these relationships."

"But you've had lovers before! That instructor at the Academy!"

"She was Vulcan, disciplined and not prone to be as emotionally fatiguing as you Caitians are."

"Oh, I'm so sorry if we fatigue you!"

"It is not intended as an insult towards your people, but a reflection on mine. Without our emotional disciplines, Vulcans would be no better than Romulans, threatening ourselves and others with our unchecked passions. It is an expensive burden, but a necessary one. And although there have been successful relationships between Vulcans and non-Vulcans, it is not always guaranteed. However, I will endeavour to maintain our working relationship."

C'Rash paced the room, her tail twitching in agitation behind her. "What about Misha? You're his Lressha, his Godmother! That's the only relationship he has with you! Why should he suffer because you haven't got the balls to face your own emotions?"

T'Varik felt herself wavering, but strengthened her resolve. "I have 'faced my emotions'. I faced them, and I surrendered to them, the moment I used excessive force on the Vlathi who attempted to kill Misha. I cannot allow that to happen again. It is regrettable that my withdrawal from his active life patterns might have an initial negative effect upon him-"

"'Regrettable'? He's not some casual acquaintance you meet for coffee in the Mess Hall every morning! He's a cub, an infant! He doesn't know about your internal struggles, and he doesn't care! He just loves you!" Tears welled up in her bronze eyes as she stopped and stared. "I love you, too, thanks for asking, by the way!"

T'Varik set her mind towards calculating subspace fractal patterns, to keep herself on as much a harmonious path as possible, under the circumstances. "I know. And I regret that this decision will affect you so negatively, too. But I do not regret it enough to waver from it."

The Caitian wiped her eyes. "Has your powerful little logical brain considered that all of this is just an effect of the psychological trauma we all suffered? And that you're not in your right mind?"

The Vulcan stiffened her posture. "I admit to having experienced a... disturbance... immediately following the aforementioned events. But I have since regained my mental symmetry, so the imminent session with the Counselor on the Kanaloa will merely be a formality. I have cured myself."

C'Rash folded her arms across her chest and grunted. "Yeah, you and Aunt Kami; she thinks she's fine too. You two are cut from the same cloth of Stubborn Old Bitch."

"This discussion has reached the point of diminishing returns; I must insist that you leave."

C'Rash dropped her arms. "This isn't over, T'Varik. I'm not giving up on you so easily."

She turned to depart, but T'Varik called after her, "C'Rash..." When the Caitian stopped and turned at the doorway, she continued with, "I will always treasure the time we had together. Our lovemaking, our mindmelds, were stimulating and satisfying on numerous levels. I do not know if I will have another relationship again, but if I do, it will need to be extraordinary to compete with what we had."

C'Rash glared at her, raising a hand and pointing a finger in her direction. "Our meeting with the Kanaloa has been moved up. Don't be late to Transporter Room 1."

*

Deck 3 Fore - Starboard Corridor:

She had hoped that a couple of drinks would have given her some Romulan Courage to keep going. They hadn't.

She would stop whenever someone walked by, and she'd pretend to have stopped to adjust her boots or the cuffs of her uniform. And then she'd try to get herself closer to the Arboretum door where

(the blood of the Vlathi she was fighting was thick on her clothes her hands it filled her nostrils choking her she killed it she killed it)

she hadn't been since That Night. One step closer. One step closer

(it struck her jaw cracking it sending teeth flying out blood filled her mouth)

One step closer

(her thumb pressed into its left eye socket, making it screech)

One step

(the blood splattered on her cheek, numbed from the venom coursing through her veins)

One

(she killed it felt its last breath escape in a ragged final exit she killed it killed it killed)

She turned away, her body threatening to lose control completely.

She needed to feel something else.

*

Deck 3 Fore - Beta Squad Quarters:

Giles Arrington had been leading a study session with his squad when their door chimed. "Enter."

The door slid open, and Sasha half-stepped in, leaning against the doorway. "Giles."

He stood up. "Sash? Are you okay?"

Her eyes were strangely vacant. "Giles- I need you- can I see you alone?"

He shot looks at some of his squadmates who snickered - there had apparently been bets being taken as to how long it would be before Giles and Sasha were back together again - and he nodded. "You guys keep at it, and if you work out that stroking problem about subspace compression fields, let me know." He indicated the bedroom, asking Sasha, "Will in there do for you?"

She nodded silently, following him inside - and then embracing and kissing him before the door even closed. She pushed him up against one of the bunk beds, her arms moving over him. He tasted some strong alcohol on her breath, and struggled to pull back. "Sash- wait-"

"No," she murmured, doubling her efforts to kiss him again. "I know you want it too-"

"No, Sash-" he lied. He couldn't deny it, he missed the sex, the intimacy, they had when they were still together, in the previous stage of their relationship. And there was a part of him - literally - that responded to her advances.

But still he pushed her back, holding onto her wrists. "Sasha, please, no, you don't really want to do this."

"Sure I do," she slurred, trying to grind shamelessly against him. "We were good together. You can do anything you want to me. Things I never let you do before-"

"SASHA, NO!"

Her advances became an assault, her hands balling into fists that struck him, her words becoming curses that hurt him, before she finally collapsed into fits of sobs against him, and he had to hold her up to keep her from collapsing at his feet. All the time they had been together, he had never seen her this... fragile. "It's okay, Sash... Everything's gonna be okay-"

The bedroom door slid open, and Nancy Yeager entered, with others peering in with abject curiosity, though she at least seemed driven more by concern. "Giles?"

He looked to her gratefully. "Get Eydiir or someone from Alpha Squad over here."

She nodded and departed, while Sasha continued to sob against him, her voice muffled but her words clear. "I'm sorry- I'm sorry, I just- I just want to feel something else for a while- I just want to stop thinking about it- stop remembering- turn my brain off- I'm sorry, Giles-"

He shushed her, and held her. When word had spread throughout the Surefoot about the Vlathi attack and Alpha Squad's involvement in fighting the invaders, there was a great deal of envy from the other cadets, envy that they didn't get to join in on the 'adventure'.

He wished those people could now see the trauma suffered by those involved. His own Security Specialist, the Andorian Atiaro Thykrill, had been peripherally caught up in it by chance. And despite the violent reputation her own people hold, she spoke with numb horror at the carnage the attack had produced.

He had no envy for those who took part in it. Only pity.

*

The vessel filled the Bridge viewscreen, its spherical hull, angular Engineering section and stunted nacelles similar to Starfleet's Olympic-class hospital ships. But this vessel had a more streamlined, organic look to it - like a gargantuan sea creature, Neheru thought to himself.

"So it's really filled with water?" Ensign Naavos asked aloud.

"Not quite, Mr Naavos," Neheru replied, pleased to put his knowledge of ship design to good use for his captive audience. "There are indeed large sections and corridors completely immersed in with water, allowing the crew to move about and operate more quickly than a standard vessel, but there are also dry areas for lifeforms such as ourselves. But all onboard equipment, including phasers, transporters and shuttle, is designed to function in dry air or underwater already; their primary mission involves surveying aquatic worlds, after all."

"Yes, but how can dolphins even operate a starship? Do the repair work and such without hands?"

"Their race's proper name is Delphine, Ensign. As for your query, well, for one thing, they can slip themselves in and out of manipulator harnesses when required. For another, there are other aquatic races onboard - Selkins, Firotii, Xindi - with natural appendages, as well as servo drones for more intricate departure and maintenance. Besides, a great deal of work is already accomplished automatically, or via voice command."

The young Bajoran nodded, but then noted, "It still seems strange to see sea-based creatures in space."

"The desire to explore is an almost-universal trait, Ensign, whether it is under the water or in the depths of space. And Delphines make superb navigators and stellar physicists. Complete the standard handshake protocols and alert the appropriate crewmembers of our rendezvous and their imminent appointments."

"Aye, Sir."

*

Eydiir injected the detoxicant into Sasha's arm. "There, you should be steadier on your feet now. And less likely to vomit in the pool."

Sasha grunted; her black Academy one-piece swimsuit felt tight beneath her uniform. "I can't believe I threw myself at Giles."

"It is fortunate that you did." At Sasha's expression, her friend elaborated. "He is an honourable man who would not, and did not, take advantage of your emotional state. Had you gone to someone else, and they had proved less honourable, I would have had to pummel them."

"Thanks." Sasha turned, catching a glimpse of her reflection in the mirror

(the blood spurted up, again and again, ebbing as the life ebbed)

as she turned and slipped an arm around Eydiir, guiding her out into the common room.

There, Jonas and Neraxis, and Kit and Rrori, stood around, looking as nervous and edgy as they did readying for their first Academy parade, four years ago. They were looking at each other curiously, before Jonas caught Sasha's eye, prompting her to ask, "What?"

"Well... We were wondering..."

"About what?"

He flushed a little, but not too much. "Are you wearing a swimsuit under there?"

She frowned. "What? Yes. Why?"

Rrori and Neraxis grunted, as Jonas explained with a slight smile, "We had a bet. Some people thought you'd embrace your Caitian side and go without."

She looked around them once more. "I... I almost did. But I'm not feeling very comfortable with myself." She nodded to the door. "Come on, time's a-wasting."

They walked to Transporter Room 1, finding Hrelle, Kami, Misha, T'Varik and C'Rash. Sasha walked up to Misha, ignoring his mother to touch his nose and go, "Beep Beep!"

As he laughed, Kami smiled at her. "Hello, hon."

Sasha continued to ignore her, facing her father. "Well, are we ready?"

*

USS Kanaloa, Deck 6 Aft - Holopool 4:

Six, and then five, individuals beamed onto what appeared to be a large, wide lagoon of irregular shape, perhaps thirty metres or more in length at the widest axle, touched by wooden docks seemingly held together with rough-hewn rope, and areas where people could step down into the water and sit. Beyond this was a dense, tropical frame of foliage, and all beneath a cloudless holographic sky of stark blue punctuated with a small but dazzling white sun.

"Let me know if it's too bright for any of you," instructed an artificial but still soothing male voice from the water, "And I'll adjust the sun. Who brought the fish?"

"That'll be me." Hrelle approached the dock. "So... you want me to just dump them in and-"

The bottlenose dolphin swam up to him, its pale blue skin glistening in the fake sunlight, its elongated snout and curved mouth seemingly fixed in an expression many humanoids perceived as amusement. It rose enough out of the water to display a flattened version of a Starfleet combadge with a voder unit, suctioned to its skin rather than fastened to any clothing. "What, just dump a bucket of replicated fish in my water? Where's the fun in that? Start throwing them out, one by one, so I can go catch!"

Hrelle looked to the others, before facing the dolphin again. "Are you sure, Doctor, uh, Hwhiee, uh-"

"Wheelie will do; you Leggies can never get the pronunciation right on my full name. Now come on, Big Boy, get your ass in gear! All of you, join in if you want! Make me work for them!"

T'Varik stepped up now. "Doctor, with respect, participating in such activities would be demeaning to you. For centuries, your ancestors were enslaved by Terrans and forced to perform tricks in entertainment venues, trained and rewarded with proffered fish. To perpetuate this now would be-"

"Your liberal indignation is appreciated, Commander," Wheelie informed her, "But unnecessary. I'm well aware of what humans did to Delphines, not to mention our Orca cousins, so I think I'm in a better position than you to judge what might be demeaning to my people.

Besides, there's a method to my madness. Seeing the fish you selected tells me a lot about yourselves. Also, I get a bit of exercise to work off some of the blubber around my tail fin... and I save on my replicator rations on the Kanaloa. Go on, Big Boy! Get throwing, before you start chowing down on them yourself!"

Hrelle chuckled, set the bucket down, reached in and grasped one fish, throwing it far out.

Wheelie laughed, spun in the water and took off for it, returning moments later. "Terran halibut, always a favourite. Okay, what's next? The rest of you, get undressed and hop in! The waters are warm, and you'll want to have fun before Big Boy here joins you and makes the pool warmer! 'Coz he looks like a pisser!"

"Cheeky bastard!" But Hrelle laughed and threw another fish in a different direction this time, the memory of himself as a cub on his old clan's fishing boat throwing back the unwanted fish from the latest catch suddenly coming back to him, as he marvelled at Wheelie's effortless grace in the water.

Behind him, the others began disrobing. In the water, Wheelie returned to Hrelle. "Hey, Big Boy, what was that last one? It didn't taste replicated, and I didn't recognise the flavour!"

Hrelle began undressing to catch up with the others. "It was fresh, brought recently from my Motherworld. Caitian Sleekfish."

"I loved it! Very peppery! I changed my mind, you can pee in my pool any time!" Then the Delphine noticed T'Varik, who hadn't moved like the others. "Something wrong, Commander? You're not shy, are you?"

"Of course not. However, I should inform you that my participation will not be necessary. I have treated myself."

"Oh?" Wheelie cackled. "I wish I had a credit for every time someone told me that!"

Nearby, Kami was slipping Misha out of his clothes and diaper. "It doesn't work that way, T'Varik, as you well know. You have to follow the Doctor's orders."

The Vulcan folded her arms behind her. "I have no desire to get wet."

Wheelie drew back in the water, and suddenly propelled himself around in a wide circle, returning to the point where T'Varik was standing - before using his powerful tailfin to hurl a wave of water onto the Vulcan, drenching her thoroughly.

"Too late," Wheelie informed her needlessly, over the laughter of the others. "Now get in."

Maintaining as much dignity as she could under the circumstances, T'Varik began disrobing, revealing a modest black one-piece Academy swimsuit identical to those the cadets wore.

C'Rash drew up, casual in her nudity. "Nice. You're the only adult in a suit, you know."

"It is not seemly for subordinates to see their superior officers in a state of undress, and... frolicking-"

"CANNONBALL!" a naked Hrelle cried out as he raced along an outcropping and dove into the water, making an almighty splash.

Wheelie laughed as the cadets cheered. "Right, the rest of you, get in, swim, play, relax, unwind! There are even inflatable toys and balls in that basket on the dock!"

Neraxis was casting off her boots and uniform beside Jonas. "We need to get this installed on the Surefoot. Hey, Doc, how many sessions will we need?"

"Just the one, Cadet," the Delphine replied. "Assuming Big Boy there doesn't do another Cannonball and empty the pool completely."

T'Varik's brown furrowed. "That does not seem likely."

"Are you sure? He packs a bit of weight on him-"

"I am referring to only requiring one session. I am familiar with the Counseling process. There is a standard multi-step procedure-"

"Steps are for Leggies! What do you care, anyway? You told me you cured yourself."

"Yes, but-"

"But nothing. Most of those steps involve Counselors needing to help their patients sift through the self-denial or nescience to get to the truth, and to guide them towards assisting them in their own improvement. Most of that will be reached the moment you enter the water and I start listening to your minds and know the right course to take."

Kami was careful with her son in her arms, descending into the water until she was waist deep, and pulling him closer to her as Wheelie swam up. "Doctor, I should warn you that Misha is not yet toilet trained, so-"

"So, nothing! Bet his Dad isn't, either! Listen, your little one can't do any wrong as far as I'm concerned! We can handle some baby pee and nappy nuggets in here! Isn't that right, ya little minnow?" The Delphine rose to nuzzle against an excited and delighted Misha - until Kami drew the baby back.

Wheelie regarded the reaction, before swimming away.

This continued for a while, some of them frolicking, splashing each other, others choosing to exercise more formally by performing laps to either end of the lagoon, or gently gliding Misha along, letting him kick his legs out and smack the water with his stubby hands, laughing happily.

Hrelle swam up to T'Varik, who purposefully stayed submerged from the neck down. "Commander, you need to loosen up a little. Enjoy yourself!"

"Vulcans do not engage in frivolity, Sir-"

A brightly-coloured inflatable ball appeared from nowhere to bounce off the side of her head.

The Captain and his First Officer looked to the obvious source of the ball: C'Rash and several of the cadets, the black-furred Caitian asking with mock innocence, "Can we have our ball back, please, Commander, Ma'am?"

Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers