Surefoot 25: Cross Porpoises

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers

Hrelle's smirk dropped, but then he shrugged. "I just needed a place to pee."

"Still," Wheelie continued, unfazed. "There's a price to that. The guilt you felt when crew were hurt... when your family was hurt... that pushed you close to the edge. Very close.

On the other hand, close only counts in horseshoe crabs and hand grenades. You know you have people to turn to when you need them. And once you get that business with your heart sorted out, you'll be fine."

Kami's smile as she listened to Wheelie's assessment dropped. "His heart? What about his heart?"

Hrelle gulped, glancing at the Delphine. "Thanks. You couldn't have kept quiet about that?"

"No one is above learning a little lesson, Big Boy."

Kami reached out and smacked Hrelle's furry shoulder. "Hey! I'm talking to you! What about your heart?"

He looked to her, slipping on his most winning smile. "It's just a bit of arrhythmia, darling, that's all! I take a little metrazine for it on occasion! It's a minor problem!"

"If it is minor, Most Respected Captain," Kit pointed out helpfully. "Then why didn't you confide in your wife?"

"You stay out of this, Cadet!" Hrelle returned to Kami. "I didn't want to worry you at the time. You were in late term with Misha, we had a lot going on-"

"Wait - you've been keeping this from me since before our son was born?"

"Quite while you're behind, Dad," Sasha urged him.

Hrelle started to replay again, but then held up his hands in surrender. "My bad. I'm sorry."

Kami grunted, making Misha face her. "Your father never learns, does he? Thinking he can hide things like that. Truth always finds out."

"Yes," Wheelie agreed. "Deception is such a common problem we face in our line of work, isn't it Counselor?"

"Definitely."

"And the most insidious deception is self-deception. It's like an extra set of shields we have to get lowered. It makes our work that much more difficult. And we can see it in everyone."

Kami nodded - but then noticed the direction of his conversation. She smirked. "Ah. Thank you, Doctor, but I can assure you that I'm fine. I've worked out my problems."

"I believe I held similar beliefs," T'Varik commented.

Kami fixed a smile at the Vulcan. "Yes, but you're not a qualified Counselor. I am."

"That doesn't mean you can diagnose yourself," Wheelie said.

Her expression and voice took on a deliberately measured tone. "Doctor, I appreciate your concern, but I think you'll find I've not been exhibiting any signs of Post Traumatic Stress."

"That's not what your family and friends' memories tell me. Or your own, for that matter."

"Kami," Hrelle said gently. "You've had Misha sleep between us in bed instead of his crib. You've hardly put him down. You lie to me, you lie to others. And you stormed into Sickbay and threatened Sasha and Doctor Masterson."

"No, I didn't," she declared, a sharpness rising.

"Yes, Kami, you did," Sasha said, looking to her gravely. "You... You frightened me."

Kami's glare shot towards her, all pretence at civility gone. "I can't see how you can remember anything about what happened there, you were too busy ready to hump the Doctor's leg like a little bitch in Season!"

"Kami!" Hrelle snapped. "That's uncalled for!"

Misha began mewling.

Kami rocked him, a little too forcefully to be effective as she glared at her husband. "You're always so trusting, aren't you, Esek? Always willing to believe other people, to accept them at face value? No wonder your family was almost killed. Were you this trusting when you got your first wife killed?"

Hrelle started as if struck.

"Aunt Kami!" C'Rash snapped. "Stop it!"

"Stay out of this!" Kami growled, as Misha's crying increased. She clutched her child tighter. "All of you, mind your own damn business! You're all upsetting my cub! We're leaving-" She rose.

Hrelle rose too, putting a hand on her arm. "No."

She bared her claws on her free hand and swiped him across the muzzle.

Misha wailed now.

As Hrelle held his snout, the blood seeping from between his fingers, Kami pulled Misha tighter to her, glancing angrily and fearfully at the rest of them, as if they might approach her too, even as she tried to soothe the infant. "It's okay, baby, please don't- don't-"

"He doesn't blame you," Wheelie told her gently.

Misha continued crying, but Kami's attention fixed on the Delphine. "What? I don't give a damn if Esek blames me-"

"I'm talking about Misha. He doesn't blame you for being hurt. He doesn't blame you, and he certainly doesn't hate you."

Kami looked stunned, aghast, her eyes wide, her breath quickening. "I don't- I don't think that- How can you believe I'd think something like that?"

"Because you do. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, you think you failed him. And now, every time you look into his eyes, you can't stop wondering if he's looking up at you and seeing someone he hates, for letting him be hurt."

He drew closer, ignoring her raised claws. "He doesn't. I promise you. Your son looks at you with love. Boundless, unwavering love. It's like a single beautiful note that races across the ocean. And if he's felt anything negative, it's concern, concern over the guilt and anxiety that you've kept bottled up all this time. Hiding it from Esek, from your family, your friends. Yourself."

Her gaze narrowed, her hand lowered, her arms still around the infant, her eyes welling up with tears. She swallowed. "They crushed him. They crushed him like he was a piece of garbage." The tears became sobs as she wailed loudly, "WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT TO HIM? HE'S A BEAUTIFUL LITTLE CUB WHO NEVER HURT ANYONE! AND THEY CRUSHED HIM! THEY ALMOST KILLED HIM! AND I COULDN'T STOP THEM! I COULDN'T-" She gasped, breaking down fully. "I couldn't... I'm sorry, Sweetheart... I'm so sorry..."

Hrelle pulled them both close to him, holding them, murmuring to them.

When the time was right, Wheelie spoke again. "No. You couldn't. You did everything you could. Everyone did everything they could. But he was still hurt. You heard him scream, but you were too injured to respond. That is not your fault.

But you know what? I've listened to his mind. That little cub is smarter than any of you. He knows something bad happened, but it's over, the people he loves protected him, and now he's ready to move on. Oh, he'll probably remember the sound and scent of those Vlathi for the rest of his life, even on only an instinctive level. But he's not going to waste any time dwelling on it. And neither should any of you. He's alive. You're all alive. Celebrate." He made a sound. "See? He's calming down already."

Kami pulled back, trying to hold onto Misha and Hrelle and still wipe her eyes, until her husband did it for her. "I'm sorry, my wonderful little cub. I'm sorry to all of you-" Then she saw the scratches she gave Hrelle. "Oh, shit, Esek, what did I do to you?"

"It's okay," he assured her gently. "I've had worse." But he winced as he reached up and touched them. "Don't worry, I'll get Sasha's new boyfriend to fix me up."

Sasha had been crying at the emotional exchange she witnessed, but now she quickly wiped her own face and said, "Stroke off, Dad! Son of a bitch!"

"Sasha's sworn at her Papa," Neraxis quipped. "Things can't be all bad for us."

"No, they can't be," Wheelie agreed. "Now that the catharsis is over, I want all of you to get some laps in around the pool, play, make out, have some snacks, do whatever, while I work some final harmonisation with all of you. Counselor, do you think you can trust someone else to mind the Warrior Prince while you and I go for a swim at the far end?"

Kami considered it, before looking at Sasha. "Would you- would you please-"

Sasha smiled. "You have to ask?" She drew up and took Misha off his mother, holding the naked cub up out of the water. "Hey there, Baby Brother!"

He peed on her chest.

"Hey!"

"What's wrong," Hrelle asked, laughing. "Afraid of getting wet?"

She dipped the giggling infant down until he was waist-deep in the water again. "You can still stroke off, Dad."

Wheelie cackled, slapping the surface of the water with his fin. "Take hold of my dorsal fin, Kami."

Kami did so, squealing as he took off for the far edge of the lagoon, making fast wide circles.

Hrelle watched, smiling. Then his smile dropped. "Mmm..."

Sasha was holding onto Misha as he kicked out in imitation of those swimming around him. "Jealous, Dad?"

"Yes," he admitted. "I wanted to go swimming with him, too."

*

Some time passed, and the holographic sky had darkened to a twilight framed with salmon-pink and dotted with twinkling stars, before they slowly, and for the most part reluctantly emerging from the lagoon, as towels appeared to help them dry off before they dressed again.

They were quiet, until Jonas asked. "So... is that it? We're just... cured?"

"No," Kami admitted, smiling at the sight of Hrelle holding an exhausted, snoring Misha in his arms. "Delphine Harmonic Counseling isn't a panacea, or it'd be done everywhere. I'll be conducting additional sessions for all of you. All of us, that is. And I'll be expecting you to confront me when I'm in the wrong."

"It'll be a pleasure, Aunt Kami," C'Rash promised, prompting sounds of enthusiastic agreement from several others.

Kami looked around them, amused. "Is it really going to be that much fun to call me out?"

"There is a need among immature individuals to find fault in authority figures," T'Varik noted. "It has often been attempted on myself. Naturally, such attempts have consistently failed."

"Naturally," Hrelle quipped, looking to his wife. "But we might have to put gloves on you, to keep those claws in."

Kami looked to her husband again, guilt returning as she noted the scars she gave him. "Seven Hells, Esek, I can't apologise enough for that. How can I make it up to you?"

He had been gently swaddling Misha in one of the plush towels, careful not to wake him up, as he seemed to consider the question, before finally responding with, " Well... how about we let T'Varik babysit the cub tonight, and we can go back to our quarters and you can give me Fluttertail?"

C'Rash had been drinking from a water bottle, but now did a spit take and stared at him with astonishment. "Uncle Esek, you dirty bastard!"

Rrori's jaw had dropped, and Sasha's face had turned scarlet. "Oy, Dad, there's a baby present!"

"Fluttertail?" Neraxis asked, her eyes lit up with curiosity. "What is it?"

Rrori had begun to respond, but Sasha raised a warning finger at him. "You say anything, and I'll tell your Matriarch on you! Can we go now?"

Hrelle chuckled, looking back at the lagoon and the Delphine still there, watching them. "Thank you, Doctor. For everything."

As the others chimed in, Wheelie slapped the water with his fin. "You're welcome, Big Boy! You're all welcome! SO LONG, AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH!

*

Back on the Surefoot, the group looked to each other.

Then Hrelle announced, "My request about Misha's godmother taking him for the night was genuine, by the way."

"You're not getting Fluttertail from me," Kami promised him. "I'll do anything else, but not that."

"I will accept my godson for the evening regardless of your sexual agenda," T'Varik assured them, taking the swaddled, sleeping bundle from as she looked to C'Rash. "I will also allow you to stay the night and assist me in his care. Do not expect anything more."

The black-furred Caitian nodded and smiled, not looking too convinced. "Of course. It'll all be innocent: just you, me, Misha... and some mint chocolate chip ice cream."

"Regardless of my change of mind about other matters, I will continue to refuse ice cream."

"Fine, it'll just be me and my nephew."

As they walked away, T'Varik declared, "I will not allow my godson to consume ice cream this late in the evening."

"Then I guess you'd better help me eat it. For his sake."

They were almost out of earshot, before the Vulcan conceded, "That would be logical..."

Hrelle looked to the cadets. "Well, it'll be good to get back into our routines again tomorrow. If we're done here-"

"No." Sasha breathed in, before moving up and embracing Kami. The woman embraced back, her tail swishing with emotion. Then she stepped back again, shooing the older figures away. "Go, and keep your sordid sex lives to yourselves."

"No promises." Hrelle grinned, slipping an arm around his wife's and guiding her away. "Nighty night!"

Alpha Squad looked to each other, Rrori asking, "And what about us?"

"Shall we get some drinks?" Jonas suggested.

"Sure. By ourselves?"

After a moment, Sasha smiled to herself, and then touched her combadge. "Ensign Hrelle to the Bridge."

After a moment, Lt Neheru responded. "Ensign, we have received confirmation of the medical clearance for yourself and the others. Alpha Squad has been scheduled to return to work at 0800 Hours."

"Thank you, Sir. Sir, it is my duty to inform you that Alpha Squad, and every other cadet, is commandeering a section of the ship to hold an impromptu celebration in the next couple of minutes." She smiled again as she looked to her friends. "There will be food and alcohol consumed, music played and a definite possibility of shenanigans, but we will of course clean up after ourselves."

"I see. And which part of the ship are you taking over?"

She paused, but only for a moment. "The Arboretum." She enjoyed the look from her friends at her choice. She rather surprised herself with it, too.

"And is there a reason for this celebration?"

Sasha's smile became a grin. "We're alive."

There was a pause. And then Neheru replied, "Good reason."

*

Deck 2 Mid - Sickbay Suite:

Kami heard the guitar music and the voice as the doors parted; Misha's ears pricked up, and he practically fought to get out of his mother's arms and crawl to the source of the music when she wasn't quick enough for him.

"Cowboys ain't easy to love and they're harder to hold / They'd rather give you a song then diamonds or gold / Lonestar belt buckles and old faded Levis and each night begins a new day / If you don't understand him and he don't die young / He'll probably just ride away..."

Masterson was leaning against one of the biobeds, guitar hanging around his neck as he strummed to an enchanted-looking Nurse Scarlo. But when he saw the new arrivals, he grinned and nodded to them, raising his voice to continue. "Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys / Don't let 'em pick guitars or drive them old trucks / Let 'em be doctors and lawyers and such..."

With Misha struggling further, Kami readjusted her hold on him, smiled and declared, "And what if he's a doctor who's also a cowboy and picks guitar?"

Masterson stopped playing. "Then none of the ladies in earshot will stand a chance. What can I do for you and my Number One Fan?"

"I'm back on duty this morning, but I could do with a little painkiller. I pulled some rarely-used muscles last night." She shook her head. "Damn Fluttertail."

"Fluttertail? What's that?"

She felt herself blush under her fur, and reminded herself that she hardly knew the man. "A Caitian thing. So, can you fix me up with something so I can sit still all day and not look like I've got worms?"

He grinned and called out, "Miss Scarlo, ready 20ccs of bicaridine for the Counselor." Then he looked at Kami. "I'm scheduling everyone for physicals in the coming days - including this little critter here. It's standard procedure, I can assure you-"

Kami smiled as Scarlo injected her. "Thanks, Anne. And don't worry, Doctor, I understand. This isn't my first radio."

"Call me Doc. And it's 'rodeo', not 'radio'. Anything else I can do for either of you?"

She breathed out. "How about another song to settle my little critter before his morning nap?"

"Be glad to. Any requests?"

"Do you know 'I'm Sorry I Was Such a Bitch To You The Other Day'?"

Masterson seemed to consider the question, before replying, "You hum it, I'll play it..."

THE ADVENTURES OF THE SUREFOOT WILL CONTINUE...

Surefoot
Surefoot
205 Followers