All Comments on 'Surefoot 52: ...This Means War Pt. 03'

by Surefoot

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

I lost interest half way through the previous post. Seemed to me the whole episode was just a way to reduce the number of characters.

I'll put off Maybe finishing that and starting this until I have nothing else to read.

SurefootSurefootabout 4 years agoAuthor
From the Author:

I apologise for the disjointed nature of the chapters, and for the protracted release of said chapters. It was never meant to be a multipart, but it grew, and then coincided with several major events occurring (including our current global pandemic scare) taking up my time and energy. Hopefully it will all read better if read in one go.

It was not meant to read as an excuse to kil off some minor characters, but to show the full brutality of war for our characters, something most will have not faced, and to reflect the shifts in tone and plot that Star Trek went through on Deep Space Nine with the Dominion War. I don't necessarily like killing off any characters that I have created and employed over the last four years, but I felt that for them to all make it thorugh unscathed in the midst of a brutal battle would have been unrealistic.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
When read together they are a great yarn.

TO ANNON....

we lost a few. but there are still a lot of good characters in this story. That Said : at least three still have a chance to be recovered. Rori, may have gotten out of the shuttle before it exploded and there are two still up in the air(or out of the air) Looking forward to the next chapter.

hakdrakkenhakdrakkenabout 4 years ago
To the author

You’re one of the most compassionate writers I’ve ever experienced. Having to kill characters you developed can be like cutting off your own body parts. Yes they were minor characters but you’re so thoughtful with them all…

And it’s all done to respect the reader and the story.

Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Tried reading it again

Didn't work. Too bad, was one of my favorite series. I guess I have seen plenty of death and destruction in real life, and dealing with the current situation with such poor leadership at the top makes me want a little unrealistic tone in the fantasy stories I read.

SurefootSurefootabout 4 years agoAuthor
From the Author Again:

I'm sorry if anyone finds my latest offering too harsh or realistic or bloody or whatever. As I said, i tried to not have it too negative or depressing, to show the hope and light that can be found even in the darkest of situations. My family of characters have gone through much, have lost loved ones, but ultimately, they still have each other to rely on, even when they're alone, deep in space behind enemy lines.

I can't imagine ever taking future storylines to places as dark as they already have gone, so I hope that those who enjoy my stories, even if they might find the latest offerings too extreme or negative, will persevere. As in real life: what we might go through now is a grim chapter, but it is only that: a chapter, bnot the whole story. This too will pass.

SensualSigmaSensualSigmaabout 4 years ago
Wrassle.

I don't suppose there's a chance that there'll be some time-travel hijinx and Captain Lunchbox and Captain Kirk end up having a bit of a shirtless wrassle? Asking for a friend.

abiostudent3abiostudent3over 3 years ago

Ignore the anon who can't concentrate through the whole thing. They aren't worth your time.

Read as a trilogy, this was *incredibly* impactful. I was terrified in the middle chapter about what was going to happen to Tali - thank you for letting her be saved.

I have a feeling some of the setup for this is to bring old characters back together to form a combined crew for the next section of stories. I approve of this, wholeheartedly...

But I would have liked a bit more focus on some of the minor characters. It feels like you didn't develop the second wave of recruits as much as the first - there was a LOT more focus on the captain's immediate family. (I mean, hell, I'd even have liked a slightly more mundane story about Sasha getting used to working on a larger ship with crew who don't know her.)

Other than that... This definitely is a pin in the story shifting, and I hope that that clear 'bad guys' in this finally get some of what's been coming to them. At this point I'm not convinced that SI hasn't just been completely infiltrated by a federation-hating extremist group... Power play politics sucks.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous