Surefoot 67: The Only Good Ferasan

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"-He'll do nothing, not if he's wiser than you... which admittedly can't be too challenging a feat." His pointed to the door. "Leave. Leave and never cross my path again. It's sickening that you breathe the same air as me. Don't make me remedy that."

Nusum-Adu glared at him some more, almost looking ready to ignore common sense and try something else. Instead he rose and departed, stumbling, sneering at the female, as if she was responsible for his humiliation.

Valtiri looked to her now, reaching into her mind and finding her name. "I am sorry for that, Cselas..."

She was wiping tears from her muzzle, but now started at her name spoken aloud. "How- How did you-"

"A secret gift of mine, one that has served me well, once harnessed and controlled." He noticed a silk dressing gown hanging on a nearby wall hook, retrieved it and handed it to her, keeping his distance, keeping his voice soft and gentle and unthreatening. "Here, you look cold. Cselas, could you please be so kind as to fetch some tea?"

Cselas tightened the cord on the dressing gown, clearly grateful for the additional clothing, but now she paused. "You- You want... tea?"

He nodded. "A civilisation can be best judged on the quality of their tea; whatever is most popular among your people will be fine, I'm certain. Then I would like to share tea with you, and talk, and learn more from you about your people and your world.

The bed is yours tonight; I prefer the floor. And in the morning, I will ensure you are returned to your home safely, and not be troubled again." He indicated the door. "The tea, please."

"Y-Yes! Of course, Sire!" Hope and gratitude suffused Cselas' scent and posture, her thoughts and emotions, as she practically raced out the door to fulfil his request.

Alone now, Valtiri lifted up one of his belongings, a long black case, and set it on the bed, flipping the lid open to reveal the components of his rifle, nestling in velvet compartments: the barrel, buttstock, forestock, grip, magazine well, multispectral scope, leather shoulder strap. He much preferred to use his teeth and claws to bring down his quarry, having been raised to believe it was a gesture of the highest respect a predator could show its prey, but there were times when needs must.

With a strong sense of ritual, he began to fit them all together, snapping each part into place, until the complete weapon was in his paws. Then he returned to the balcony, raising the rifle and aiming it towards the horizon... not to fire at anything, but to get a better look through the scope at the landscape beyond, in the dying light of the day, anticipation rising within him.

This was what he lived for. He had no interest in power or politics, in love or war. He didn't care about the fate of his own race, or the Caitians, or anyone or anything else in the Galaxy. He lived for the Hunt.

And somewhere out there on this world, Esek Hrelle and his daughter Sasha awaited him.

They would be worthy prey...

*

"Personal Log, Stardate 53117.2, Captain Esek Hrelle, recording: My daughter Sreen and I have been rescued from the fishing vessel Highsun by the crew of a hitherto-unknown Caitian assault carrier, the Deep Keep, which I previously believed was a secret base set up by Ma'Sala Shall. As it turned out, the ship and the helijets launched from her possess an advanced cloaking device superior to even the Caitian Prowl systems, along with numerous weapons that, frankly, make me drool, and believe we might have a fighting chance against the Ferasans and the Jem'Hadar.

They have collected the crew of the Highsun, treating those injured and sending them on their way before Enemy reinforcements arrive. And my older daughter Lieutenant Sasha Hrelle has arrived as well with her associates in her own flyer, to take us back to the Island... along with an old friend and colleague, the Delphine Starfleet Counselor Dr Wheelie and his family, trapped on Cait while on shore leave when the Ferasans invaded.

Now we're bringing the Commanding Officer of the Deep Keep and some of her senior officers to Kaijushima Island, to give them a tour and discuss the next steps to take to defeat the Enemy..."

*

Captain Csara Mrorr was a stocky female about Hrelle's age, with ash-grey fur and scars on her forehead and muzzle, who wore her decorated red and black Planetary Navy uniform well as she sat at the table in the Conference Room, looking around in appreciation and nodding. "You've done well here, Captain Hrelle. You have secured the dependents of your fellow Starfleet personnel, as well as those of the surviving Caitian Militia and Planetary Navy, and have established an effective intelligence-gathering network to the Kaetini scattered among the rest of the Motherworld.

You've made the transition to my assuming command that much easier. Thank you."

Hrelle, dressed once more in his Starfleet uniform after days disguised as a civilian, tensed- as, underneath the table, he felt his wife Kami's paw on top of his, squeezing gently, her meaning clear: Stay Calm. Since their reunion, she had refused to leave his side, almost as much as she refused to put down their sleeping infant daughter in her arms. And he was doubly glad that she had, needing her Counselor's gifts to help confirm his own suspicions about Mrorr's ultimate intentions. "Captain, there appears to be a misunderstanding-"

She looked up to the young sepia-furred male on her left. "My Second Officer Lieutenant Commander H'Nille here will assume command of the Island, linking your communications network to the Deep Keep's own."

"Captain-"

"-And I'll be taking the Militia and Planetary Navy personnel you have sequestered here into active duty. Of course I have no authority to conscript any Starfleet personnel, but you and your loved ones are free to continue remaining in hiding here until we've restored control-"

"Captain Mrorr," Hrelle repeated, more forcefully now. When he had her attention and she stopped speaking, he continued. "As I was saying, there appears to be a misunderstanding. I didn't bring you here to take command of our facilities. At best, this will be a joint command, with both of us working together."

The female stared hard at him. "Starfleet has no authority here, Captain."

"Actually, Captain," Kami interjected evenly, adjusting the sleeping Sreen in her free arm. "The Federation Charter, which Cait signed when our world joined over a century ago, adjures the senior ranking Starfleet officer present to take command during global emergencies, in the absence of appropriate civilian authorities."

Mrorr leaned back in her chair, resting her elbows on the arms and steepling her thick fingers as she focused on Hrelle. "Well, then... as the senior ranking Starfleet officer present, Captain, perhaps you can update my officers and myself as to the progress that Starfleet has made to date in liberating us?"

Hrelle tensed once more, knowing that he could hardly avoid the inevitable response. "There is a communications blackout beyond Cait. But it is my belief that Starfleet forces are currently caught up in more... strategic battles."

"'More strategic'?" Mrorr echoed bitterly. "You mean, as in 'More important'?"

"No, that is not what I mean, Captain. The Dominion has been targeting many worlds in the neighbouring sectors: Vulcan, Betazed, Andor, Earth. Starfleet resources are limited-"

"And were Starfleet resources limited during all those times since we joined the Federation, when the Ferasans invaded our space to attack us and our colonies? Or were those blatant invasions of our territory dismissed as 'internal conflict', given our shared history with the Ferasans?"

"Captain, I don't intend for this to descend into a historical or political debate-"

He stopped as Sreen began stirring, sensing the growing unrest in the room even in her sleeping state. Kami shifted her hold on her cub once more, taking the opportunity in the break in the argument to ask, "Captain Mrorr, given your particular role, you must have known Fleet Captain Ma'Sala Shall -- my late mother? Perhaps well?"

Mrorr nodded, her expression softening. "Yes, Counselor, I did. She was a fine warrior. The best. And she spoke of you, her family, with great love and affection. She will never be replaced."

Kami nodded back affably. "Thank you, I certainly agree."

"I think we can all agree on that," Hrelle affirmed, recognising from experience his wife's effort to de-escalate the tension. "It was Ma'Sala's intention for the Deep Keep to be built and maintained Off the Grid, not on any official manifest, in the event of military catastrophe.

The other Captain wrinkled her muzzle. "Yes. We were designed not to officially exist. Everything about us -- our construction, our crew, our specifications -- was outside nearly all levels of official documentation. Our personnel were on an elaborate rota that made them appear at various Militia bases throughout Cait in order to maximise our secrecy, and we would be resupplied via tenders disguised as commercial vehicles. We were designed as a secret reinforcement for the Militia and Planetary Navy." She paused and reached for her coffee. "Never in a million years did I expect that we would end up being the only military resource left standing, after the Day of Infamy."

"And what were your orders in the event of such a Day?"

Mrorr looked distinctly uncomfortable at the line of questioning... but to her credit, didn't shirk from it. "To stand by, stay hidden at the bottom of the Iranu Trench in the Sea of Mor, monitor and assess the situation, and await orders from authorised military or government authorities aware of our existence.

And so we did... until hours became days, and then weeks. Then we made tentative attempts to reach contacts on and beyond the Motherworld, have sent field agents to various locations to gain intelligence... with limited success. But lacking the contacts you possess among the Kaetini and other sources, our efforts pale beside your own."

She glanced up at the Tactical Board on the wall, noting the various hotspots around Cait. "The global broadcast you arranged, and the subsequent search the Enemy undertook to find you in Sekuro and the Free Seas, convinced me to finally seek you out. And I'm glad we did. Now, combining your intelligence with our firepower, we can finally finish off the Enemy." She pointed at the map, at First City in the M'Mirl Province. "By striking at the very heart of their operations."

"The Capitol Building?" Hrelle prompted, frowning. "It's over four thousand kilometres distant, in the Northern Hemisphere; your helijets haven't the range, unless you move the Deep Keep closer, into the more crowded waters of the Gulf of Rhun."

"We're also equipped with a payload of hypersonic missiles," she informed him. "With cloaks and variable-yield tricobalt warheads. We can target any point on the planet, with a Circular Error Probable of just under three metres."

"With tricobalt warheads, that level of precision isn't very necessary," Hrelle pointed out soberly. "Even at your lowest yield, you'll take out the Capitol Building and everything for half a kilometre surrounding. There are hundreds of Caitians there and in the immediate vicinity, captive and enslaved, who will be killed as well in such an attack."

"Hundreds of thousands of Caitians have already been killed, Captain," Mrorr pointed out archly. "We can't abrogate the opportunity to take out the Enemy and end the Occupation because of the side effect of collateral damage."

"Perhaps we could get advanced warning to the Caitians there?" Kami suggested. "To evacuate just before the strike?"

"Too risky, Counselor," Mrorr replied. "If the Ferasans see the movement and question some of them, they could evacuate before the missile reached them."

"I agree," Hrelle responded, "But there are other factors making me reluctant to agree to this. The brief tour of your vessel impressed me with its firepower and other abilities... but it's still one vessel."

She half rose from her seat, paws on the table, looking ready to leap across in challenge as she raised her voice. "My ship and crew are more than a match for the Enemy! As we proved today, when we saved you and your daughter there!"

Sreen reacted to the sudden tension, waking up enough to make a tiny roar in defence, before Kami settled her again. Hrelle reached across to gently stroke the infant's muzzle with the tips of his fingers, but kept his eyes fixed on Mrorr as he gently -- but firmly -- insisted, "Please sit down, Captain. I will remain grateful to you and your crew for your timely assistance. But that doesn't detract from the fact that your chief strength lay in your invisibility -- not only your cloak, but your anonymity.

Your intervention today will have inevitably raised suspicions; a further action on your part will undoubtedly divert all of their resources towards tracking you down. Especially the Jem'Hadar; their technology is in places superior to even Starfleet's, and they have experience with penetrating cloaks and shields. If you are going to take action, I want it to mean something."

"Captain Mrorr," Kami added softly. "I will be eternally in your debt for saving my husband and daughter. The strength and courage you and your crew showed is a testament to the faith my mother put in you. I want all of you to survive to reap the benefits of your strength and courage. My daughter -- all the cubs and people of Cait -- need you to survive."

Hrelle watched his wife's words affect the other Captain -- as intended -- and she finally nodded, focusing on Hrelle again. "The Ferasans have been here long enough. What do you propose, Captain?"

He leaned forward, folding his paws on the table. "We have only just established a secure communications and intelligence gathering system with the Enemy network. I want our people to run a series of tactical assessments of other suitable targets, their numbers, strengths and weaknesses, in order for your ship to launch a simultaneous strike: not just their command centre, but the military installations they will have set up. I don't intend to target the camps where our people are being held, just the ones purely held by the Enemy."

Mrorr stared hard at him. "And how long will that take? How many more of our people have to die before we finally take action?"

Now Hrelle rose to his feet, feeling his patience erode despite his efforts. "We have already been 'taking action', Captain. I am as eager to drive the Enemy off our world as you are... but we may only get one good opportunity. I don't intend us to waste it. Is that clear?"

Mrorr rose as well again. "Crystal, Captain. I will return to the Deep Keep with my fellow officers... but I would like to leave my Second Officer here to act as Liaison with you, if that's acceptable."

"It is; I'll have Lieutenant Commander Tshal escort you back to your vehicle on the surface." He walked around the table and offered his paw. "I can't tell you how grateful I am to have encountered you... and that we're working together towards saving our world and our people."

Mrorr seemed to hesitate... before finally accepting the paw. "As am I, Captain. As am I. And when this is all finally over, I look forward to getting egregiously drunk with you."

After the meeting, Hrelle stepped out into an adjacent corridor with Kami and Sreen, feeling relieved. "Mother's Cubs, that was more tense than I had expected." He reached out and gently teased Sreen's tail sticking out of her onesie. "What is her problem?"

"The same as many of us, Esek: Trauma. So many Military people she knew are dead, so much destruction. And then there's Guilt, the guilt of not taking action before now, even if it was the right thing to do." She reached up and smacked his paw. "Stop that, she's settled down again, I don't want her waking up."

"Sorry. Anything else you want me to do?"

"Yes, never go missing again. Where are you going now?"

Hrelle stopped at a junction. "To the Command Bay, to get things started on that Tactical Assessment for Mrorr. Then there's some business arisen in Shanos Minor."

"Yes, I know, I've left you a report on it. The city's making the most vocal protests against the Occupation."

He grunted. "I'm not surprised; it's a big college town..., lots of idealistic cubs barely out of their first Season but still thinking they can shift the course of the Universe."

She cooed mockingly. "Ooh, listen to the ancient wizened old cat; we'll get you a rocking chair and a porch to sit on and grouse about the weather and the state of popular music." Then she grew serious again. "The Ferasans are increasing their efforts to silence dissent. The more vulnerable are having to be smuggled out on the Shepherd's Line."

He nodded; the Kaetini helped set up the so-called Shepherd's Line, clandestinely moving at-risk Caitians out of the locked-down city through the maintenance tunnels in the Mithram mountains surrounding Shanos Minor, to be ferried to the forests beyond and eventually under new identities to smaller villages in the rest of Nashea Province. "I might head over there with Sasha, the security needs to be strengthened at the checkpoints on the inland side of the mountains."

"Take Jhess as well; he's been trying to contact his ex-wife and son since all of you returned, without luck. Also, he'll know the city, and maybe convince them to join us here."

"Kami!" The figure of Mirow, Kami's firstborn from her previous marriage, rushed up, his face and scent awash with excitement and anxiety, his tail practically slapping people he dodged around them to reach his mother. "It's Ptera! She's gone into labour! With her mother still back home-"

She smiled. "I understand, and I'll be honoured to be with both of you for the birth." Still cradling Sreen, Kami stroked the side of Mirow's face quickly with her other paw, before looking to Hrelle. "You go on, do what you need to do."

"Thanks." He reached for Sreen. "Here. I'll take her back-"

She smacked his paw away playfully again. "No you won't! The last time you had her, you went off fishing for three days! We have a Crèche set up already here, plenty of cubs and carers!"

"Fine, I'm off, I'll find Sasha and send her over-"

Kami shook her head. "She won't appreciate being disturbed right now. She's in her flyer up top debriefing Lt Mori." Then she slipped an arm around her son's and led him away.

Hrelle stood there for a moment, not getting why Sasha would be doing something like that there when there was a perfectly good conference room at she meant... until the proverbial penny dropped.

*

In her cabin in her flyer the Tailless, Sasha lay naked and entwined against the hot furry body of Mru Mori, aware of how little room there actually was for two people for any length of time to just lie there. She smiled to herself; it's a good thing you like to be on top...

It was dark, at least by human standards, the only illumination from tiny lights on a nearby table, and the air was still and filled with the scents of sweat and sex. She had an arm draped over him, and his tail kept twitching against her groin as he made sleepy sounds.

She basked in the afterglow, not caring if she stank now from the exertion. After returning and ensuring Dad and Sreen were reunited with Kami and Misha and the rest of the family, and that Dr Wheelie and the rest of the Delphines, following them underwater in their aquashuttle, located the Island's subdock beneath the lagoon, she returned to her flyer -- but not before finding Mori, off duty, and offering to give him a tour of her ship.

A tour that started and ended in her cabin. She didn't have a Caitian's keen nose, but even she sensed his attraction to her, an attraction she shared to a certain degree. And now, with a little break between kicking Death's ass, she needed a diversion. And Mru proved... eager... to help her out with that.