Surefoot 67: The Only Good Ferasan

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

But soon, all too soon, the relief and satisfaction began to fade. And the dark thoughts returned.

Bollocks.

Then Mori seemed to sense her change of mood and stirred back to wakefulness, turning to look over his shoulder at her. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," she lied hoarsely. Damn, she forgot how much of a screamer she could be...

"I wasn't- I wasn't... bad for you, was I?"

"What? No! Couldn't you tell?" She smirked in the darkness. "Wait, I wasn't your first, was I?"

"Well... my first human, anyway. Was I your first Caitian?"

"No. Well, the first male Caitian. And I hope I wasn't bad for you either."

"Oh, no! Not at all! I've been wanting to, ever since..."

Now she sat up. "Ever since when?" She poked him in the back. "Come on, Stud, no point in being coy now."

He sat up as well, and even in the darkness, she could almost see the look of embarrassment he wore. "Well... I've heard a lot about you, read a lot about you, before I met you in the fur- sorry, flesh. I wasn't sure what to believe. Then I saw that broadcast of you in Shanos Minor, defending the students against the Ferasans with your Kaetini sword... and then the other day in Sekuro, when you killed that Caitian traitor, chopped off his head as a warning-"

She tensed. "Does blood and violence turn you on, Mru?"

"No! Honestly, no! It's just... at times like that, you seem so... confident! Strong! In control!"

She took in his head, wiping the seat from under her breasts and onto her crumpled sheets. "Believe me, Sport, at times like that, I feel many things... but in control is not one of them."

He started to reply, but then both lovers started at a loud rapping on her cabin door, as behind it, the voice of her little brother Misha carried through. "Sasha! You and Mru stop having sex and come with me!"

That made Mru laugh out loud... until Sasha smacked him on his furry shoulder as she switched on the lights and hopped off the bed, nearly falling over as she reached for her clothes, feeling her skin flush, cursing under her breath. "Get dressed." When she had enough on, she slid open the door, seeing her little brother standing there in shorts. "Misha, Mru and I were not having sex! We were... just having a nap!"

He frowned up at her, stuck his head in, sniffed, and drew back with a disgusted expression. "Lie!"

Mru burst out laughing. "No use denying it, Sash. Caitians learn about it from a very early age. We can't help it; our senses are too keen to not pick up the signs and ask about it. I'm sure he's heard his Mama and Papa plenty of times-"

Misha nodded in eager agreement. "Yep! Papa's a Horncat!"

"Enough, from both of you!" Sasha looked down at Misha. "Baby Brother, I've had a long rough couple of days, I need to rest-"

"No rest! Doc Wheelie wants to see you!"

That made her start. "Doctor Wheelie?" She swallowed and glanced over at Mru. "See you Down Below... and no, that's not a euphemism."

The air outside was its usual hot and clammy, as she walked barefoot through the soft, uneven grass, following Misha towards the lagoon. "So... it must be pretty cool, talking with a Delphine for the first time, huh Baby Brother?"

He snorted as he led the way like an explorer, swatting aside huge lime-green tropical fronds. "I met him before! We're friends!"

Sasha smiled. "Yes, but you were just an infant, no bigger than Sreen is now."

"No, I 'member him! He help us! Even Mama! She was hurting, even hurt Papa 'cause of it, and it made me cry. But Doc Wheelie helped her."

Her smile dropped at the memory of Kami's initial denial of the level of trauma she had undergone, six years ago, when the serpentine Vlathi had invaded the Surefoot to kill them all. "Wait, who told you about that?"

He tapped the side of his head with his forefinger. "Told you, I 'member!" He looked back at her, shaking a finger. "You have too much sex, it clogs up your ears!" He pointed at her lower half. "And you're walking funny, like Mama does!"

Sasha felt herself flush. "Just get moving, Squirt. And you better believe I'll be teasing you in a few years when you hit puberty."

They left the undergrowth and entered a wide clearing surrounding a lagoon of gently-lapping waves, a portion of which was broken by an extension of low flat rocks laid out like a makeshift quay. People from the Facility below were up, dressed in little or nothing, sitting on the rocks or swimming and playing in the water, while several Delphines swam about them, playing... or, Sasha guessed, Counseling.

She knew Delphines worked as incredible navigators and stellar cartographers in Starfleet, but lesser known were their abilities as Counselors, because of their ability to generate a sort of communal telepathy while in the water. Sasha had certainly been astounded by Wheelie's efforts to help her and her family and friends with their various forms of PTSD after the Vlathi Incident... and it might explain why Misha remembered his own encounter with Wheelie so vividly.

"Hey, the Hero!"

She had been walking along the narrow, white-sanded beach of the lagoon, when the voice came from the centre of the circle of water, and seconds later, a large familiar blue meteor launched itself in their direction, cutting through the water with enviable ease, before the bottlenose Delphine wearing a customised Starfleet harness equipped with a combadge, voder translator and other devices beached itself, kicking up water and sand as he slapped the sand with his fins and cackled, "About time, Leggie!"

Concern rose in Sasha. "Careful! You'll beach yourself and not be able to get back into the water!"

Doctor Hwii''!!''li'!'iei, more colloquially known as Wheelie, cackled and shifted, his flat tail slapping the water. "Oooh, you're right, whatever will I do? I'm only a sentient being evolved for a watery medium and equipped with various bits of technology! Oh save me, somebody, save me!"

Misha laughed, pointing at Sasha. "Yeah! Too much sex makes you dopey too!"

Wheelie laughed. "That's right, Little Minnow! Why don't you go down to the rocks and go swimming with my wife Haha? She might let you ride on her back!"

Misha made a sound of delight and rushed off, stripping as he went, as Sasha looked down at the Counselor, resting her hands on her hips. "Giving rides on her back? A bit demeaning for your people after centuries of exploitation on Earth, isn't it, Doctor?"

Wheelie kept splashing water upon onto his exposed dorsal side, to ward off the strong sunlight drying off his smooth blue-grey hide. "Hallii''Haha'!'ana'!'i isn't exactly jumping through hoops for fish and applause, Lieutenant. Actually, she'll be examining your little brother's mental and emotional state, at the behest of your father, following the incident at your Clanlands with the Ferasans. Speaking of which... come on, Leggie, get your clothes off and hop in!"

She flushed -- not out of embarrassment; she was the only human among Caitians and Delphines, neither race having any problem with nudity -- but knowing what would happen if she entered the water with him. "Did Dad ask you to check on me as well? Or was it Kami or Jhess or Grandpa or-"

He blew a raspberry. "Or... maybe I've been keeping track of you since my family and I have been stranded, I've seen you in action... and I'm offering you the chance to speak with someone who isn't a member of your family." He paused, before adding, a little more soberly than usual, "I'm a Starfleet Counselor, Sasha. And your friend."

She stood there for a moment, before breathing out and disrobing, as Wheelie manoeuvred himself backwards out of shallow water, chittering happily, "That's it, Leggie! Get in and grab my fin and I'll drag you out somewhere private! But if my wife asks, just say all you're grabbing is my fin, you horny ape!"

Sasha tried to keep wearing a serious face -- and failed -- as she rushed quickly into the water, wanting to get deep enough to hide herself, before Wheelie sided up to her, and she took hold of his dorsal fin and let him carry her away from the others, before finally releasing her hold and letting herself float. Further away from shore, but not visible to the rest of the ocean, the water was blessedly cool, and the waves a gentle undulation.

The Delphine swam around her in a large lazy circle. "Well I must say, if my family and I have to be stuck behind enemy lines, we couldn't have picked a better spot! I can see why the Caitians are so proud of this world of theirs!"

Sasha moved her limbs slowly, just enough to stay afloat, wishing she had taken some nanoprobes to minimise any potential skin burning from so much direct exposure. "Aren't you worried for them? If the Enemy comes-"

"-Then they'll have a fight on their hands. But then you know all about that. You've had to spill some blood here."

She lifted up her head to face him. "I didn't start all this!" She shut up, realising she sounded far more defensive than she had wanted.

"Never said you did, Sasha. I daresay none of the times you've shed blood -- or spilled it -- have been because of anything you started. You're just doing the best you can under the circumstances. Fortunately your best can be pretty damn brilliant."

She looked away.

He swam back into her eyeline, the voder-translated voice sounding more serious, confidential. "I told you when we last met that you were a Hero. And everything that's happened to you since then has only reinforced that, with the Kaetini and your valour in battle with the Dominion at Khazak. You have a fierce love in your heart: for your father, your family and friends, for your adopted people the Caitians, and for justice and protection of the innocent. It's amazing.

But now I'm seeing the hate grow in there. And it's a Beast that can be just as fierce as your love. But just as destructive to yourself as to those at the Business End of your sword."

Sasha turned away again, looking back at the shore, suddenly feeling very open and vulnerable. "Look, Doctor, maybe this wasn't a good idea after all, this sun is a little too hot for me-"

He brushed up against her now, unwilling to let her ignore him or swim away. "You're not alone, Sasha. You don't have to carry the Galaxy on your shoulders -- or, for that matter, the guilt and pain you feel. That's just an excuse to let yourself get numb in alcohol or sex. Or in hurting yourself in reckless acts of alleged heroism... or just out-and-out self-harm.

Seek your father at such times. You're not too old to do so. He has his Beast too."

Now she looked to him again. "No he doesn't, Doctor, not anymore. He had been poisoned a couple of years ago, and needed corrective brain surgery. Those parts of him that were his Beast are gone."

"Are they?" he asked. "I was swimming with him in the waters off that fishing boat he was on with your little sister. I saw something, still down there. Deep, yes, and maybe not in the same form or as neurologically developed as it once was after years of constant trauma. But it was there.

We all carry Beasts, Sasha; they're the amalgamation of all the wrong paths we can take in response to the horrors we inevitably face. And they can evolve in different directions. Some of our Beasts can turn in on us, become our own worst enemy, and consume us.

Don't let yours consume you..."

*

Later that evening, down in the Command Bay, Hrelle could feel the tension on all sides of him.

On his right, his nanny and friend Jhess Furore stood, tail twitching, none of his usual jocularity anywhere in evidence as the former Sabrecat soldier watched the recordings of the demonstrations in his home city of Shanos Minor, recordings secretly obtained, as there had been a communications blackout raised by the Ferasans in the last few hours.

Hrelle said nothing, having already learned that the male had tried without success to reach his ex-wife and son, still in the city.

On his left, Captain Mrorr's Second Officer Commander H'Nille stood, watching and listening with a critical authority belying the young sepia-furred male's years. Since his Captain had departed to return to the Deep Keep, H'Nille had clung to Hrelle like a sauce stain on his fur, making little judgemental sounds at just about everything he saw and heard.

And before them, Lt Mori sat, repeatedly attempting to override the increased interference despite their recent inroads into the Enemy's communications network to get to the secret communicator Sasha had left with the Furores. And repeatedly failing, "Sorry, Captain, still nothing."

"Try again," Jhess snapped.

Hrelle glanced at him, but then asked, "What about the home communicator? Can we carry our own signal through to it?"

"No, Sir -- the Ferasans dismantled the grid in an attempt to prevent the locals from organising more protests."

"And their Transporter Network? Can we use it again, like when you beamed me to my Clanlands?"

The younger male shook his head. "Sorry, Sir, they've rerouted security protocols for the Transporter Network, and I'm not getting anywhere with it."

"Maybe you would be," Jhess growled. "If you and Sasha hadn't been busy this afternoon rutting."

Mori bristled in embarrassment, as did Hrelle, who looked to Jhess now. "Lieutenant Mori has worked above and beyond the call of duty here since our arrival, often doubling shifts in an effort to secure us. What he -- and Lieutenant Hrelle -- do in their well-deserved downtime is their business. Mr Mori, cease further attempts, and return to working with Agent Nenjo in compiling the list of viable targets for Captain Mrorr."

"Yes, Sir."

Jhess drew closer. "Esek, my family-"

Hrelle faced him fully. "Your family had the opportunity to come here long before now, but chose not to. I know the situation has worsened, and they're still welcome here, but I can't risk our security to keep trying to reach them from here."

"But-"

He reached out and rested a reassuring paw on the other male's shoulders. "Sasha and I are leaving in six hours to get to the Mithrim Mountain Range to see what we can do to improve security and transport on the Shepherd's Line; you'll accompany us, and then use the tunnels to get into the city, and get them out." He paused. "Get some sleep before then, you're gonna need it to get through the tunnel system and find them."

The spotted male stared hard, looking ready to challenge the order... until common sense reigned again, and he let his tension and guilt seep from him as he nodded. "Of course, Esek. My apologies." He looked to Mori. "Please excuse my words before, Lieutenant."

As Mori nodded back in acknowledgement and Jhess left the Command Bay, Hrelle heard H'Nille make another noise, and turned to face him now. "Lieutenant Commander, do you need to attend our Medical Bay?"

The younger male started. "Excuse me?"

"Our Medical Bay? You've been making tics and noises for the past hour, so I'm assuming you have something wrong with you. What is it, allergies? Vsashi's Syndrome, perhaps? Crotch Mange?"

"There's nothing wrong with me." He breathed out, looking around the Bay critically. "It's just... well, you're not running much of a military operation here. There's no discipline on display. No offence, Hrelle, but I can't understand why you think you shouldn't turn over everything to Captain Mrorr."

Hrelle grunted, drawing a little closer to H'Nille. "You're right, Commander, this isn't much of a military operation. That's because we're not just active service Starfleet or Militia or Planetary Navy here, we're also retirees, and Kaetini, and Skycats, and civilians. Everyone is needed for this War. They may not all wear uniforms and follow your protocol, but I'll value each and every one of them. Is that clear?"

H'Nille nodded. "Quite clear."

"So maybe you'd like to take a seat beside Lt Mori and Agent Nenjo and assist them with your knowledge of the specs and capabilities of your ship, in order to help plan a more effective strike against the Enemy?"

"Very well, Hrelle."

He started to turn away, but Hrelle took him by the arm and stopped him. "And in future you'll address me as 'Captain Hrelle'. Or 'Sir'. I may only be a Starfleet officer in your eyes, but I'm still deserving of respect. Demonstrate some of that military discipline you critique us for lacking."

H'Nille bristled at the touch... and almost looked ready to strike out.

And Hrelle was almost ready for that.

Instead the younger male nodded. "Yes, Sir. If you'll excuse me, Sir?"

Hrelle released him, watching him return to the others, as Hrelle's combadge chirped, and he tapped it. "Hrelle here."

Kami's welcome voice filled the air. "Hey there, Grandpa. Want to see the latest addition to the family?"

He smiled. "I'm on my way..."

*

Minutes later, he felt himself instinctively relax and smile in the Medibay, at the collective scents of his loved ones -- Kami, Sasha, Misha, Bneea, Mi'Tree holding a portable recorder -- surrounding a bed, where his bond-daughter Ptera sat up, looking exhausted but beatific as she held a swaddled bundle of brown-blonde fur in her arms, with her husband Mirow close beside her. His voice was soft and gentle as he purred, "Well, well, what we here?"

"It's a cub, Papa!" Misha informed him. "My niece!"

Nearby, Dr T'Ana, their resident CMO, was finishing sterilising her paws in a unit. "Nothing gets past your son there, Captain."

"Is everything okay with the newborn, Doctor?"

"Of course it is. Do you see anything but shit-eating grins on everyone's faces?"

Misha turned to her. "No Rude Words in front of baby cubs!"

Hrelle smiled. "Like you said, Doc, nothing gets past my son. Especially now he's a big Uncle and has to watch out for the Little Ones."

T'Ana grunted and left the family, as Ptera invited hoarsely, "Come see my daughter, Captain."

He accepted, drawing up beside his wife and looking down at the soft, sleeping package. "Ooh, look at you..." He looked up at her glowing parents. "Well done. Well done to both of you."

Mirow rubbed the side of Ptera's muzzle. "I did nothing. My wonderful wife here did all the hard work."

Standing back, but still recording everything, Mi'Tree chuckled, basking in the glow of joy around him. "Well, dear cub, at least you were there for the fun part."

Beside him, Bneea nudged his husband. "Just record, Great Grandpa, don't comment."

Mi'Tree chuckled... and then dropped his smile. "Seven Hells, I'm a great grandfather now... wait 'til my fan club hears about this..."

Ptera smirked, before looking up at Kami, bronze eyes wide. "Thank you for being with me in my mother's absence, Kam. I know she'd thank you as well if she could."

Kami smiled back and rubbed her muzzle against her bond-daughter's. "It was my honour to stand in for her." Now she looked to Hrelle. "Do you think it'll be possible to get a message to Jnill?"

Hrelle smiled as well, taking in the scent of the newborn infant, triggering memories of his first times with Misha and Sreen. "Oh, not a problem, not at all. And it'll be a very pleasant change to deliver messages of good tidings."

"Thank you, Esek," Ptera told him, looking to Mi'Tree. "Are you ready, Great Grandpa?"

Mi'Tree harrumphed... but brought the recorder closer. "When you are..."

Ptera smiled, looking up at Mirow. "Get closer, Little Papa, I want you in the picture." When he complied, the new mother adjusted her hold on the infant to display her for the recorder, breathing in, her face a mosaic of emotions. "Mother... meet your granddaughter, born an hour ago, weighing in at a healthy 112 shemats. And she came into the world with a tiny little roar, as I would fully expect your granddaughter to do.

And I know that tradition suggests that the first offspring of a joining between clans should have a name that reflects the parents of each of the cub's parents..." She paused and glanced at Kami with a smile. "But I've talked this over with Kami and Mirow, and they agree that, given the sacrifice you've made by staying to help save the Motherworld, that we wanted to honour you."