Surefoot 78: Bleeding Edge

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hundreds of thousands of innocents," C'Rash growled, "Maybe millions, could have been poisoned on your terraformed worlds, or displaced from the lives they would have built there when their worlds, their homes, soured. All for short-term profits. Bleeding Edge, for sure."

Reiser trembled. "You have to release us, return us-"

"Slander!" Vada declared angrily. "Lies! If there is a conspiracy here, it is Starfleet's doing! You planted false evidence, wove this fanciful tale so that you could steal our technology! If some doctored data is all you have to offer to support your allegations, then you will be gravely disappointed."

T'Varik moved to another cell, focusing now on Rexxil, who had been listening intently. "Doctor... you had been part of the survey team that had discovered Alkemy. We have seen the communications evidence where you alerted your superiors to the long-term dangers."

"You're still under contract with Zorin Interstellar!" Vada barked at him from his own cell. "Don't say another word, Doctor!"

"Doctor," T'Varik echoed, more softly, recapturing the Bolian's attention. "You are a scientist. Truth and integrity should be your motivation, not profit or fear of prosecution.

But then you are already aware of this, as you are the whistleblower who alerted the Federation News Service."

"What?" Reiser exclaimed now, as did others. "No! Odas! How could you? We've worked together for years-"

"Dr Rexxil has been under a great deal of stress lately because of our work," Vada informed them. "Clearly any statement he makes now cannot be taken seriously... and Zorin Interstellar will have a phalanx of legal and medical experts on hand to support that."

T'Varik ignored them, drawing closer to Rexxil from her side of the invisible force field. "And, I suspect, you sabotaged the refinery."

Rexxil swallowed and shook his head, his azure features darkening. "No. Alkemy is inherently unstable in large amounts; once it reached critical mass, one careless drone triggered the explosion, Alkemy spreading up and outwards, contaminated with the testing samples of plants, animals, liquids we were preparing for the controlled experiments in the pressure domes. But I used the chaos it generated to backup the original data, waiting to take it with me when Kolchak arrived."

"Doctor!" Vada snapped. "If you ever want to get out of prison-"

"I don't!" he barked back, purple eyes narrowing in anger. "I don't care anymore! I'm sick and tired of the secrecy, the lies and cover-ups! The needless killing! The potential millions more who could die to line Max Zorin's pockets some more!" He faced T'Varik again. "I'll testify, fully! But I want protection! Zorin Interstellar is ruthless, homicidal-"

"So I have noticed," the Captain observed dryly, turning to C'Rash. "Have Dr Rexxil moved into protective custody elsewhere immediately. We are returning to Salem One."

As T'Varik and Bellator moved to depart, Reiser called after her, sounding almost panicky. "Captain! You need to return us to the planet, right now! You can't keep us onboard!"

The Vulcan spared him a final cold look, and, "The evidence points to the contrary, Mr Reiser."

*

On the way back to the Bridge, the ship rocked under fire, and the Red Alert lights and klaxons filled the air as T'Varik and Bellator raced the rest of the way, entering as Giles rose from the Captain's chair. "Captain! Orion blockade runner, it appeared from a sensor blind over the polar cap- shields at eighty percent!"

"Take the position at Tactical until Lt Shall arrives." Bellator and she took their respective seats as T'Varik studied in the data: Nathav-class blockade runner, heavily-armed, fast. "Helm, Evasive Pattern Alpha, then take us out of the system and back towards Salem One, Warp 8." She stayed focused ahead as she heard C'Rash enter the Bridge. "Tactical: strengthen aft shields, prepare aft-"

"Incoming!" C'Rash snapped.

The viewscreen momentarily switched to aft view, as the Orion ship shot a large white beam in the Surefoot's direction, rocking the ship again.

"Particle beam!" Bellator reported. "Jacketed streams of heavy leptons and baryons, 200 gigawatt firepower! Shields at sixty-five percent!"

"Firing aft torpedoes!" C'Rash announced, adding, "Their shields are holding!"

"Particle beams are sublight weapons," Giles called out, gripping the sides of his console. "Not like phasers and torpedoes! How can they be hitting us- Incoming message from the Orions, Captain!"

"Onscreen."

The view of the outside was replaced by a crowded-looking blood-red Orion Bridge, and a sneering, decorated Orion male, whose sneer dropped upon seeing T'Varik. "Who the Hell are you?"

"Captain T'Varik, USS-"

"WHERE'S HRELLE?"

"I command this vessel now. You are ordered to stand down-"

He spat. "It is no victory to defeat a woman ! It is barely worth the money they paid us to come here!"

T'Varik leaned forward. "Then I strongly advise you to cease your attack and surrender. There will be no victory for you today."

He glanced at each side of him, as if seeing or hearing reactions from others, before he bared jewelled teeth at her. "You think so, bitch?" He ended the transmission.

"Another one incoming!" The ship lurched, harder this time. "Shields at forty percent!"

"Giles, alert Salem One!" T'Varik shouted over the chaos. "Helm, increase speed to Warp 9.5!"

*

On board the Al-Razi, Lucille Arrington frowned to herself. "It's quiet."

Beside her, First Officer Bill Franco jutted out his chin, his pearly teeth bright against his bronzed, bearded skin. "Quiet as the grave?"

She rolled her eyes; as a team-building exercise, she had agreed to join the senior staff in an old-fashioned murder mystery Holodeck program, where one of the characters, some cadaverous-looking English butler, kept intoning that phrase. She turned in her seat. "Anything from the Surefoot yet, Mr Surrolk?"

"No, Captain - the interference is increasing the more we enter the system."

"Tactical, any sign of the Orions?"

Lt Neraxis Ostrow punched in a command on her console, her bald blue Bolian head creasing, her voice sharper than usual. "Nothing, Captain. I can't see a damn thing."

She ground her teeth. Their sensors were fine, they were quadruple-checked along the way. There just wasn't any sign of either ship; and without communications or sensors, it was going to be a long search.

Arrington looked over at the Engineering station, where Neraxis' husband, Lt Jonas Ostrow, was working away. "Mr Ostrow, can we get some more power?"

"On it, Ma'am," came his distracted reply.

She stared for a moment at the back of the young man's head, aware of how closely tied the Ostrow couple were to the Surefoot, when Commodore Hrelle had been a Captain and in command.

Since they joined her crew on this new command, 'Hrelle's Cubs' had exceeded her expectations of them: Neraxis was a tough but canny Chief of Security, maintaining a perfect balance of assertiveness and temperance that belied her youth. And Jonas was a genius Chief Engineer, one of those 'miracle workers' every Captain hopes to get under their command.

And in a career that was, to put it charitably, 'chequered', recruiting those two was one of her better decisions... even if she could never quite forget that her first meeting with Jonas was him punching her in order to save Hrelle from being murdered by Ferasans.

But still, they were only human- well, one of them was, anyway. "They'll be okay, Lieutenant. Captain T'Varik is an experienced officer-"

From the Helm, Lt Train reported, "Approaching recorded site of Zorin perimeter satellites- no signal due to interference-"

Suddenly Jonas spun in his seat to face Arrington, so quickly it made her start, his pale face turning bone-white as he caught her gaze. "Captain, take evasive action! NOW!"

She almost questioned him, before thinking better of it. "Helm! Evasive Pattern Alpha!"

On the viewscreen, the image of the red giant was eclipsed by a more intense white flash, as if it has suddenly gone Nova, accompanied by a jarring turbulence as the Al-Razi banked hard to port, the Red Alert klaxon filling the Bridge.

Arrington gripped the arms of her chair. "Damage Report!"

"Minor damage to the shields," Franco responded. "No injuries."

"Tactical, scan for the Orion ship-"

"Captain," Jonas interrupted. "It wasn't the Orions. It was the Zorin satellites."

Arrington rose to her feet. "The satellites? What are you talking about?"

He turned back to his station, calling up data on his screens. "I was examining the nature of the subspace interference to find a way to augment our signals through the satellites and reach the Surefoot."

"I thought you were busy squeezing some more power from the engines?" Franco asked.

"I was doing that as well, Commander." Jonas replied absently as he brought up a map of the outer system. "Anyway, I saw that someone moved the satellites from their former positions and grouped them together in front of us, overheating their isolytic cores to produce the subspace interference we've been experiencing." He pointed to one spot. "Deliberately lined up to keep the most intense interference between this system and Salem One, and still at least superficially look like it was coming from the black star."

Arrington frowned at the image. "Doing that would have rendered local space unstable. Our rapid approach at high warp straight at it triggered a subspace tear that would have swallowed us up. A trap." She straightened up. "Good work, Jonas. Now, let's track down the Surefoot and the Orions."

*

"Commodore!" Sternhagen called out. "Explosion detected at the edge of the Ucarro Major system, near the last reported location of the Al-Razi!"

He raced over to the Tactical station, taking in the readings and computer enhanced images. "Mother's Cubs... a subspace rift? What in the Seven Hells could cause that? A warp core breach?"

"No... isolytic elements involved... our readings are limited because of the subspace interference... but I think whatever caused the rift might have also been causing the interference, because I think it's beginning to ease!"

He nodded, still staring at the readings, cursing being here, instead of out there. "Can we raise the Al-Razi or Surefoot?"

"Negative, Commodore... but we are getting their transponders. They're both moving towards each other."

Hrelle breathed out. That was something, anyway. "Lieutenant Dassene, while you're doing the shopping, put in a Priority Order for some of the new Tactical Beacons. As many as can be spared."

"Already on it, Sir."

"Commodore," Lt Ajis spoke up. "There's a Message for you from Admiral Raner."

Hrelle's heart quickened, as he glanced at Sternhagen, before replying, "I'll take it in my office, Lieutenant."

Seconds later, he was startled by the image of Marija Raner, the tough-as-nails Head of Starfleet Security... on a sunny balcony, clad in an orange bikini. He was about to make a joke about it, when the expression he saw on the human's face warned against it. He leaned back in his chair behind his desk. "Admiral, I wasn't expecting you. I was told you were on leave."

"I am," she responded curtly. "I was on a beach in Dubrovnik sipping a frozen strawberry daiquiri with my wife, when I somehow got an urgent message from one of our more important civilian contractors telling me that his people in Salem Sector were being harassed by you."

He breathed out, letting his claws extend while keeping his paws out of sight. "Let me guess: the message was from Mr Billy Buford, a Good Old Boy from Zorin Interstellar."

"Yes, as a matter of fact. Care to tell me why I'm getting calls from him about you?"

"We're investigating a missing civilian transport ship, the SS Whisper. There's evidence that the ship visited the Zorin facilities on Ucarro Major II, despite the statements they submitted, and further investigation has uncovered potential evidence that they're employing Genesis technology. And subspace interference has cut us off from contact with our ships, and Orions have become involved."

Raner's brow furrowed. "And do you have proof that Zorin Interstellar is definitely using Genesis? And are responsible for the interference and the Orion involvement?"

"No, not yet. That's why we conduct investigations in the first place."

Now her frown became a scowl. "Do I look like I'm in the mood, Hrelle?"

"Apologies, Admiral... but with respect, I didn't ask Buford to contact you."

"Perhaps not, but he did, and he reminded me of the level of support Zorin Interstellar has given to supplement Starfleet losses during and after the War. Perhaps you should just downscale whatever you're doing there for now, and I can arrange an outside investigator to come in and check things out?"

Hrelle considered the suggestion, and then shook his head. "No."

"Excuse me, Commodore?"

"I said No, Admiral. I'm in charge of Salem Sector, Ucarro Major is in Salem Sector, and my people are more than capable of managing things here."

Raner leaned forward, and her commanding persona shone through despite her very casual clothes. "And suppose I upgraded that suggestion to an order?"

He shrugged. "Then I'll respectfully refuse that order, Ma'am."

Her eyes flared. "Just who in the Hell do you think you are, Hrelle?"

Suddenly he slammed his fist against his desktop, raising his voice to a yell. "Damn it, Admiral, you called me in the middle of the night and forced me to take this damn post! I didn't want to come here, but you gave me no choice! Now either leave me alone and trust me to do my job, or fire me so I can retire to Cait and go fishing with my son!"

They stared at each other, before Raner conceded, with the hint of a smile, "Well, no one can accuse you of hiding your feelings, Hrelle."

He forced himself to calm down. "I'm sorry, Admiral. I'm worried about my people... and I'm angry that Zorin Interstellar thinks it can get its way with Starfleet. I'll send you a full report as soon as it's ready."

She leaned back in the balcony chair. "You'll send it to my office. I'll be busy working on my tan, getting drunk and making it up to my wife for all the time I spend working. Good luck. Raner out."

Hrelle allowed himself a chance to calm down, before returning outside.

*

Another blast struck, C'Rash reporting, "Aft shields at twenty percent! Minor damage to Aft Decks 4 and 5!"

"Damage Control parties to Aft Decks 4 and 5!" Bellator ordered. "Mr Madison, get those aft shields shored up! Mr Arrington, hail the Orions, order them to stand down!"

T'Varik stayed focused on the tactical data coming in. They had been unable to shake the Orion ship, and they were employing a weapon at high warp speed that somehow was successfully reaching them. Physically, logically, it was impossible. And the Orions were deliberately matching their speed to an exact degree, prolonging the chase-

No, they weren't. "Helm, on my mark, you'll take us hard to port alee, and drop us out of warp. Tactical, prepare to take advantage." She checked the seconds coming up to the next firing cycle, and- "Now!"

The Surefoot dove sharply, and then lurched back into real space, letting the Green Death continue ahead.

"Astrid, continue out of the system, but constantly shift velocity," T'Varik continued. "C'Rash, the Orions will try and get behind us again, and send their particle beams along our warpfield wake."

The Caitian growled. "They won't be doing that again."

"They're doubling around!" Astrid shouted.

"Take us in," T'Varik ordered. "Head on. As Commodore Hrelle is fond of saying, 'If you can't be the strongest or the fastest, be the most ferocious'."

The Starfleet vessel shot ahead at warp speed once more, the Orion ship dead ahead and now heading towards them.

Suddenly, Giles shouted, "Captain! There's another ship coming in to intercept- the Al-Razi!"

Outside, another Sabre class ship ripped through space, sending a volley of quantum torpedoes to strike at the Orion ship, making its shields flare crimson.

From the Surefoot, T'Varik shouted, "Fore torpedoes, now!"

Another swarm of torpedoes shot forth and attacked the Green Death, this time from the front.

*

The Green Death tumbled. Nesrac Sur clung to the arms of his chair, his head spinning over the turn of events. This should have been easy: destroy the Caitian and his ship, and reclaim some of his father's lost honour.

Instead, in short order, he was robbed of the sweet victory of destroying Hrelle by discovering that he allowed his ship to be commanded by some Vulcan female, who managed to escape his assault. And now, another Starfleet vessel has arrived. Could this day get any worse?

"Shipmaster!" his First Mate Mollar barked. "A message from the other ship!"

Seconds later, a female voice filled the air. "Orion vessel: this is Captain Lucille Arrington of the USS Al-Razi , you are ordered to stand down and surrender-"

Nesrac Sur spat. Another woman shipmaster? What was wrong with the kafirfir Starfleeters? Letting their bitches have such power? "RETREAT! This is not worth the paltry money offered us! Throw a Wrench!"

*

The Green Death spun, as from its aft section a torpedo-like projectile launched, not towards either Starfleet vessel but between them, exploding as the Orion vessel jumped to warp.

The viewscreen of the Surefoot Bridge flared white, T'Varik ordered, "Damage Report!"

"Matter-antimatter reaction chamber compromised," Giles reported. "That last weapon released some sort of resonance particle wave. Engineering is realigning the dilithium matrix, but we won't have warp drive for a couple of minutes."

She frowned openly; another advanced weapon in Orion hands. "Prepare all relevant data on this and the particle beam for the Commodore. Hail the Al-Razi."

Lucille Arrington appeared in the centre of her own Bridge. " Surefoot , do you require assistance?"

T'Varik rose to her feet. "You have already provided more than enough with your timely intervention, Captain Arrington. Thank you."

Lucille smirked. "Thank Commodore Hrelle; he recognised the ship and the Shipmaster, and ordered me here at top speed. But we almost bought the farm at the edge of the system; it looked like the Orions had hijacked the Zorin satellites and rigged them to generate the subspace interference, and then almost pull us into a subspace rift." She indicated Jonas Ostrow, beside and behind her. "Fortunately, I have a Miracle Worker in my crew."

T'Varik raised an eyebrow. "I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment regarding my former cadet, though I do not believe the Orions were responsible for the actions of the satellites. I am assuming that their parting weapon temporarily disabled your reaction chamber as well as ours; I suggest we make repairs and proceed to Salem One. Surefoot out." She stood there for a second later, before announcing, "Number One, continue with Damage Control and proceed to Salem One, Warp Nine. I have a visit to make."

*

Moments later, she had returned to the Brig, noting that Dr Rexxil had been removed since her last visit, before drawing up to Reiser. "You should know that in addition to your previous crimes, there will be additional charges of Conspiracy to Commit Murder, specifically the crews of the USS Surefoot and the USS Al-Razi; Conspiracy to Destroy Starfleet equipment, specifically the aforementioned vessels; Employment of Mercenary Operatives for Criminal Activity-"

1...345678