Surefoot 78: Bleeding Edge

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Are you insane?" Reiser exclaimed. "I don't know what you're talking about!"

"Your fear," T'Varik continued. "Your fear of being confined onboard this ship, a fear beyond incarceration, was suspicious in itself. The subsequent events confirmed the reason behind it: you reconfigured Zorin Interstellar satellites to emit subspace interference and prevent us from contacting Salem One. You have employed mercenaries, first to destroy the SS Whisper, and then to try and destroy us. Our continued existence, and our contact with Salem One, proves the inefficacy of your efforts."

The human turned away, shaking his head. "You're crazy- deluded-"

Vada stepped into view now. "No one will be saying anything more to you or anyone else, Captain! We are invoking the Fifth Amendment of the Federation Bill of Rights, to refuse to answer any questions or make any statements that could be used in a criminal proceeding to help establish that the person committed a crime."

T'Varik nodded. "And what if I were to tell you that we have captured the leader of the mercenaries, who is currently negotiating with the Federation Commissioner at Salem One for a reduced sentence, in exchange for testimony regarding your activities on Ucarro Major II?"

Vada, Reiser and the rest of the captives in the cell, turned to face her.

Reiser shook his head. "You're full of shit-"

Vada blocked him, drawing up to the force field until it flared in warning. "It was Reiser! He's had the Orions on his private payroll for months now, he sent the codes to the satellites, he's planned to market Alkemy without revealing the toxic side effects all along!"

"Vada, you bastard!" Reiser cursed, held back by the others from attacking him.

The Zakdorn lawyer ignored him, focusing on T'Varik. "I can be a valuable asset, if you can offer me the same protection as you're giving Dr Rexxil. I wish to begin negotiations with the Federation Commissioner-"

"There will be no negotiations." She folded her hands behind her. "You have provided the confirmation I needed of your complicity, by your mentioning without prompting that the mercenaries were Orion."

Vada blinked, eyes wide. "B-But you said the Orion Shipmaster was making a deal-"

She raised an eyebrow to him. "I did not. I merely asked you how you would react to the possibility of such a scenario."

As she turned to depart, she declared over her shoulder, "I cannot be held responsible for how you interpret my words."

*

Nam-Seon considered herself an adept judge of a person's state of mind from a moment's glance - at least, most humanoid people's. She had been taking courses in reading other races, and it proved a continuously fascinating subject, the more new peoples she met, even beyond the obvious advantages it gave her in her work.

Now, however, she wished for a little bit of ignorance, as she stared at the face on the viewscreen in her office, and what it told her before a single word was spoken. Still, she had to Play the Game, and wait for him. "We have all facilities running on Deck 7 of Salem One for the arraignment of the Zorin Interstellar personnel in the coming days and the collation of evidence and witness statements, and there will be a Starfleet Security vessel coming to collect them by the end of the week.

We also have a member of the Federation News Service on station, asking for an official statement; word has gotten out from Salem Sector, so I'll be preparing something soon to temper the rumour storm." She paused, catching her breath and gauging her superior's response.

Federation High Commissioner Antonio Delgado was a gaunt, silver-haired, silver-bearded man with an aquiline nose and blue-grey eyes that could, when warranted, give off the warmth of a log fire... or cold like a snowstorm in the dead of winter. She was getting the latter. "Commissioner Nam-Seon, this is a very serious matter."

She blinked, remaining calm as she steepled her fingers together. "I agree, Sir. From what I have seen and heard, Zorin has much to answer for-"

"I mean allowing Starfleet to handle this matter so clumsily."

"Sir?"

"Of course. Having them raid Ucarro Major II, arrest Zorin's personnel, allowing a member of the FNS to release the story. The level of overreaction on their part is frankly appalling."

Nam-Seon leaned forward, frowning, not believing what she was hearing now. "'Overreaction'? Sir, Zorin Interstellar arranged for the destruction of the SS Whisper and the deaths of her crew, attempted to do the same to two Starfleet vessels, and that's not even taking into account this conspiracy with their faulty terraforming technology, threatening untold millions-"

"Commissioner," Delgado cut in, in that familiar way that she knew - and hated - since he had been her mentor. "Ryo... we are not permitted the indulgence of sensational hyperbole. We are the custodians of law and order for the Federation... not Starfleet." Now he leaned in on his side of the viewscreen. "And you need to remind Starfleet of that. We are no longer at War, and militant minds like Hrelle need to be kept under control."

She fought to control her breathing, her expression and tone, to put aside the history she shared with the older man. "Sir... Commodore Hrelle does not strike me as militant by nature. Far from it. Terrible acts have been committed here by Zorin-"

He raised a finger to cut her off. "The men and women who work for Zorin Interstellar and who are currently incarcerated at your station must be presumed innocent until proven otherwise... and as far as has been determined to date, Mr Zorin has not been directly involved in the alleged incidents. As part of your duties in that sector, you will serve as a Federation Arbiter, you should be well aware of that."

She nodded. "You're right of course, Sir. My apologies."

Delgado leaned back again, folding his hands on his desk. "A senior representative of Zorin Interstellar, William Buford, is on his way to Salem One, and in fact is due momentarily."

Nam-Seon frowned. "For what purpose?"

"His team will be proceeding to Ucarro Major II to secure Zorin Interstellar property, and will require you to override the Starfleet restrictions placed on the facilities there. You will also remand the senior operatives into his custody at their arraignment."

"Excuse me? You expect me to release the prisoners?"

The High Commissioner shook his head. "Not release, Commissioner, remand . And I only refer to the senior operatives, Mr Reiser and Mr Vada. I have been assured by Mr Buford that they will deliver these gentlemen to their trial on Deep Space 12, and that they are able to pay any bail you set for them."

She felt her self-control slipping from the weight of her incredulity at the request. "And what could possibly compel me to offer these men such an option?"

Now it was Delgado's turn to frown. "Consider it a gesture of good will, to a company that has, and still does, provide a significant amount of service to the Federation." He regarded her. "Is that going to be a problem, Ryo?"

Nam-Seon breathed in, anger beginning to eclipse disbelief. "Frankly, Sir, yes. You almost make it sound like we should be apologising for catching them committing crimes- sorry, alleged crimes. And that Zorin Interstellar has been providing all this... service... to the Federation out of the goodness of their hearts, instead of for profit."

"Ryo-"

She felt her face tighten as she continued. "And that senior employees of a powerful corporation should be given special treatment in the eyes of the law.... Which, here, is myself. Frankly, I find that obscene. That may have been the case centuries ago, when corproations wielded actual political power in governments, and existed in an economic system that made us dependent on their financial strength. No longer."

"Commissioner-"

"No, Sir. I will not remand those prisoners to the custody of anyone but Starfleet personnel, who will escort them, and the others, to their trials. And I will not rescind Starfleet's restrictions on any Zorin property on Ucarro Major II.

Delgado thin, colourless lips scowled. "You need to think about this, Commissioner. I know you, trained you, taught you. You're young, and this is your first real assignment, one I personally approved for you... but only because I believed it would be safe, where nothing of significance would occur. Life is more complicated than what the classrooms teach you. Don't jeopardise your career when it's only just beginning."

Nam-Seon swallowed again, feeling like a child again, being scolded once more by her elders. No. Not anymore. "To paraphrase your own words moments ago, we are the custodians of law and order for the Federation... not Starfleet, and not any private corporation, not matter how powerful or influential. My decision stands.

You, of course, can override my decisions, or have me censured, or even removed from my position. I, of course, will follow the guidelines you taught me, and file an appeal with the Federation Council, where everything will be revealed."

Delgado stared at her without moving, to the point where she almost checked to see if the transmission had frozen. But then he leaned back in his chair. "I sincerely hope for your sake, your family's sake, that you understand the ramifications of your choices, before it's too late."

She leaned back in her chair, not realising how coiled her entire body had become since the conversation began. Well, Ryo, you've done it now. You're not here one week and already you've antagonised your superior and threatened your career. What will you do for an encore, sell the station to the Ferengi?

Maybe Delgado was right. She was no child, no matter how much others might make her feel otherwise. Life was more complicated than one might expect. And the weight of responsibility she felt now seemed to rival Atlas' burden.

*

In Salem One's Hospital, Masterson peered down at the jackalope in the container, currently on its side, its chest rising and dropping slowly as it slept. "Incredible... that this little critter was some toxic chemical just a few weeks ago..."

Kit continued to study the readings on the surrounding panels. "I must concur, Respected Doctor. I have barely begun to study the lifeform, and though I fear more qualified personnel will soon take over the task, I have been most intrigued in the limited time I have been allowed."

"But can we even call it a lifeform?" Chief Nurse Eydiir Daughter-of-Kaas challenged. "Perhaps it perfectly mimics a biological entity at the cellular, even the genetic level. But beyond that, it is merely a simulacrum, like a hologram."

"A difference which makes no difference is no difference," Masterson opined.

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck," Kit added as well, finishing with, "Although I hope no one finds my abstraction too... fowl." He wheezed with laughter at his own pun, Masterson joining him with a chuckle and Eydiir with a roll of her eyes.

"A debate for philosophers," Professor Tallus offered, reading from a PADD, the diminutive Roylan female moving around the station's Biology Lab. "And ethicists: even if Alkemy hadn't proved to be as flawed in its own way as Genesis was in the last century, I'd find the idea of Instant Life, Just Add Water, owned and marketed by corporations like cheap souvenirs..."

She shuddered. "Anyway, based on the information provided by Dr Rexxil, the planet where they found the Alkemy material was in a sector of space very close to the region of space once inhabited by the Tkon Empire, over half a million years ago.

That means the entire project will fall under the Pandora Protocols, and the Federation Archaeological Bureau will soon take control of it all, locking it all down and marking it as Classified." She set aside the PADD. "For which I will be thankful. The existence of the Alkemy Fluid raises too many questions, opens too many doors, we may not be equipped now to handle. Imagine if Zorin Interstellar had taken it further, and attempted the creation of intelligent life?"

"Instant, intelligent... disposable life," Kit mused, shuddering, "I trust that the corporation will be penalised for their actions to date?"

Masterson nodded. "With that reporter Kolchak having broken the story now, word is getting around. I hear Starfleet Security is coming to collect them for trial. Whether or not the long arm of the law will reach the Head Honcho, well..." He shrugged.

*

T'Varik was completing her report when her Ready Room door slid open, unannounced, and Srithik entered, carrying a tray of food. "Aunt, am I disturbing you?"

"No, Nephew. But as I am busy, you may not find me amenable company while you eat."

He set the tray down on her desk. "The food is for you. Aunt C'Rash confirmed this was permissible." He set out a small bowl of salad and fruit juice. "I wanted to order your favourite, Terran Vegetarian Pizza-"

She looked up. "I would not profess to having a 'favourite' food. How did you come to that conclusion?"

The boy straightened up. "I ran a replicator log statistical audit for your preferences. Terran Vegetarian Pizza appeared the most frequently-ordered evening meal for you."

She nodded in concession. "A logical tactic. But it does not address why you provided this offering instead?"

"It was Aunt C'Rash's suggestion. She stated that your waist and posterior had grown to such a degree of late that you would benefit from salad."

She looked up. "Indeed? I must discuss her concerns later." She indicated the chair opposite, and as he sat down, she asked, "And how has your time with Lt Kitirik been?"

"Most enlightening, Aunt. Kit is an intelligent and engaging individual, with a subtle sense of humour." Then his expression sobered. "May I ask a question, please? You may consider it inane of me to ask but-"

"There are no inane questions in my household, whether they are from cadets or relatives. Proceed."

Srithik's brow furrowed in thought. "As I understand it, the employees of the Zorin Interstellar corporation were willing to sell and use a technology that would potentially cause long-term ecological damage to many worlds where it would be employed, affecting untold numbers of people, all for short-term profit for themselves. It is not logical."

She nodded. "Nor ethical."

"Then what would compel them to do this?"

"Greed, Nephew. Simple greed. Greed can often drive individuals to commit terrible acts, to conceal those acts, to detach or delude themselves from the consequences of those acts, or to seek justification for them by claiming beneficial side effects that might arise from those acts. It is not without precedent, in the history of Earth and other worlds... including Vulcan. This is why there are regulatory checks and balances now in place, and corporations do not hold the levels of power they once held before the birth of the Federation."

He nodded at that, but then admitted, "Aunt T'Varik, I am at a loss as to understand greed. I recognise on an intellectual level that greed once served as a survival instinct with many sentient species, as an impetus for competition and development. But we live in a post-scarcity, post-mass consumption society now, so the desire to seek fulfilment through material possessions or wealth rather than through service to others or self-improvement should be all but extinct."

"In a society of billions, there will inevitably be those who desire to accumulate phantom wealth or possessions of dubious value," she informed him. "Even though we are no longer suffused with advertisements, entertainment and even people of note who promote such desires as natural, even desirable.

And it is perhaps insightful to acknowledge that such zeal, at the expense of others, can be seen applied in other directions: faith, fame, power... your own mother, for instance, with her career as a politician on Vulcan. When one focuses too much on one goal, it skews perspective."

Srithik's olive skin darkened. "I... had not considered that."

She regarded him, before retrieving her salad bowl. "We will not dwell on the subject and its implications any longer. I wish to discuss the living arrangements for you on Salem One."

He frowned. "You do not wish me to live with you and Aunt C'Rash on the Surefoot?"

"There will of course be opportunities for that, but as I am certain you have already experienced, the nature of our work in Starfleet will not always make that practicable. I intend for you to spend the majority of your time on the station, where you will benefit both from a stable educational base, and contact with others, who will keep you safe."

"Will I live alone while you and Aunt C'Rash are away?"

"No. You will be cared for by Commodore Hrelle and Counselor Hrelle."

He raised an eyebrow. "They would be willing to do this for a stranger? Why?"

"They are Family. We are bound not by blood, but by something I daresay is much stronger."

*

"You know," Hrelle opined, "We've only been running for a few days now, but between the Marauders and the Zorin personnel, our Brig is almost full. We can't let this continue. Any suggestions?"

Sitting opposite him in his office, Station Security Chief Lt Salvo crossed her arms. "There's plenty of space just outside the station, Commodore."

Hrelle blinked, noting the reactions from Nam-Seon and Zir. "Yes, lots of space. Empty, cold, airless space."

Salvo shrugged. "I'll give them some blankets and they can hold their breath."

He looked at Nam-Seon. "She's joking, of course."

The young human offered him a smile. "Even I gathered that, Commodore." Her smile dropped again. "Sir, you haven't given me your opinion of the conversation I had with the High Commissioner... and my decision."

He leaned back in his chair. "It's a little disturbing, but not surprising. Based on the intelligence you've provided, Like many companies, such as Michel Shipping, Dytallix Mining, OCP and Delos, Zorin Interstellar does seem to have manoeuvred their way into some low-key but important positions provided logistical support, security, exploration and research, while Starfleet rebuilds its numbers following the War.

As for your decision, I've supported it fully, both in my own official logs, and personally. That doesn't mean the repercussions will disappear... but at least you'll sleep better at night."

His intercom buzzed, and Sternhagen announced, "Commodore, William Buford has arrived."

Hrelle rose from behind his desk. "Show him in."

Seconds later, his door slid open, and Buford walked in, the same large-framed, jowly human male with broad nose, dimpled chin, and Ferengi smile he saw onscreen before, as he drew right up to Hrelle, offering his hand. "Commodore! Well, this is a thrill to finally meet you in the flesh! I've been reading up on you! You're quite the Hero!"

Hrelle hesitantly accepted the hand in his paw, feeling the subtle but unmistakable attempt by Buford to demonstrate his strength and establish his dominance. Yeah, Bubulah, good luck with that. You're in my territory now... He drew back, indicating the others. "Mr Buford, this is Federation Commissioner Ryo Nam-Seon, my Station Security Chief Lt Arcanis Salvo, and my Adjutant Lt Zir Dassene."

He tipped an imaginary hat to each of them. "A fine stable of ladies you've got here, Commodore!" He winked at Zir. "I see you know how to enjoy the finer things in life even out here in the Boondocks."

Hrelle saw the subtle disgusted reaction from Zir, as well as her professional composure hiding it, and took back command. "Mr Buford-"

1...345678