Surprise Valentine

Story Info
Sometimes Love Just Happens.
15.6k words
4.85
55.2k
82
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

SURPRISE VALENTINE

This is for the 2024 Valentine's Day Contest.

As always, your votes and comments are much appreciated.

I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

©2024 Smuttyandfun All Rights Reserved

WHITNEY

I was pacing, nearly biting a hole in my lip, anxiously watching the arrivals board, trying to think of what I was going to say. But I couldn't think of anything, at least that they'd want to hear.

My parents were landing soon, flying in from Beijing, and they were hoping to meet my boyfriend. The one they thought I was going to marry. Only problem was I didn't have a boyfriend anymore.

Kurt had moved back in with his ex-fiancée, and now I was stuck.

About to turn and pace in the other direction, I noticed a tall, good-looking, dark-haired guy stepping out of the elevator, glancing around. When he noticed me watching, he smiled and wandered over.

Our eyes met, and the funniest thing happened. The way he grinned, smiling right into my eyes, I could feel my heart skip a beat. I also noticed that up close, he was surprisingly handsome.

"Hi," he said with a teasing smirk. "I'm looking for somewhere to get a coffee. Do you know if there's anyplace up here?"

I nodded, pointing off to the left. "I've noticed a few people coming from around the corner with coffee cups, so there might be somewhere heading that way."

About to turn and leave, he eyed me for a moment and asked, "Are you okay?"

I imagined I probably looked a little wild-eyed, like I always did whenever I was feeling panicky.

"Not really," I admitted, since I felt like I was ready to have a melt down, lose my lunch, or maybe both.

"What's wrong?"

"It's long a story." When he didn't shrug and walk away like I expected him to, a thought occurred to me. Maybe, just maybe, he might be willing to help me out, since they'd probably only be stopping off for an hour or so. All he would have to do was shake hands, say hello and keep a smile on his face. Then after they'd gone, he could go and get his coffee. Of course, I'd be happy to buy it for him, and lunch too, if he was hungry.

Luckily, they'd never seen a picture of my ex. I'm not really into social media since I'm leery about sharing things online.

"Um." Not sure where to start, I admitted, "This is going to sound a little crazy."

Looking amused, he said, "Okay..."

I took a gulp of air and quickly told him about my parents stopping on their way back from Beijing, from the last leg of their Asian tour. I said they were hoping to meet my boyfriend. Who, I explained, was now back living with his last girlfriend.

"So..."

I winced, hoping he wouldn't laugh. "So, I was hoping you might be willing to play along and pretend we're together. They're catching a connecting flight soon, so it'll probably only be a few minutes until they're gone."

He chuckled and asked, "So, are the two of us living together?"

I nodded. "We were." I shook my head. "I mean, he and I were living together, till he moved out six weeks ago."

"Okay, probably none of my business, but why can't you just tell them the truth? Wouldn't that be easier?"

If only it were that simple. "You'd have to know my mother. My dad's okay, but my mom never lets up. She's like a dog with a bone, she relentless. I'm not even twenty-seven, and she thinks I should be married like my two sisters with a kid on the way."

"Twenty-seven is not exactly old," he said, giving me the once over in my form fitting navy blue dress, matching jacket and heels, before lifting his gaze and flashing me an appreciative smile.

"Well, my mother was married at twenty-four and had three kids before she was thirty. Now if I tell her I'm on my own, she'll start up again about me needing to go to church to meet a nice wholesome young man. And..."

"And what?" he asked, when I hesitated.

"The thing is, she's recently had a health scare, she's been treated for breast cancer. Which is why I think she wants to see me settled in case anything happens to her."

Anxiously chewing into my lip, I watched his face. Though he was studying me fairly intently, he wasn't giving much away. But since he wasn't staring at me like I was nuts, or turning on his heels and running away as fast as he could, I took it as a hopeful sign.

Finally, he shrugged. "Well, if it's only going to be for an hour, and it's going to help you out, then okay, I'll do it. So, what was this guy's name?"

"Kurt," I said, feeling like I could breathe again. "And of course, I'd be happy to pay you for whatever you think your time is worth."

He held up a hand, shaking his head. "No worries. I don't really have anywhere to be right now, so I don't mind. I just dropped my mother off downstairs at departures. I was hoping to grab a coffee for the ride home, but the coffee shop down there was closed. Which is why I decided to look up here."

I finally managed a smile. "Well, now I'm glad you did."

He smiled back. "Me, too. And I guess I should know your name, if we're supposed to be together."

I nodded, taking a quick glance at the people coming out of arrivals. "I'm Whitney, Whitney Graham. Oh god, and there they are," I gestured towards my parents, smiling and waving as they walked out through the frosted glass doors with their luggage stacked high on a trolley.

As we watched them approach, I noticed my new fake boyfriend was clever enough to slip his arm around me to make us look legit.

Which was a good idea, since I could see my mother was beaming, seeing the two of us standing close together, like an actual couple.

Now all we had to do was find somewhere to sit for an hour or so, and keep up the ruse till it was time for them to get their connecting flight to Boston.

While my new fake boyfriend kindly offered to take the trolley from my dad, I quickly made the introductions. "Mom, Dad, this is my boyfriend, Kurt Martin. And Kurt, this is mother Joan and my father Andrew Graham."

Once they all shook hands and said, hello, I pointed off to the left. "I think there's a coffee place around the corner where we can sit for a bit."

"Oh, good," my mother said with a weary sigh. "I've been dying for a proper cup of tea with milk. The green tea we had was nice, but you know me and my milky tea."

Dad chuckled. "Yes, Joan, we all know about you and your tea." Since it was basically all she ever drank, morning noon and night.

Luckily, there was a table open, so once I got my parents settled, 'Kurt' and I went to get our drinks.

Taking a quick look back to make sure they couldn't hear us, I whispered, "I guess I should know your name, too."

"It's Noel, Noel Blake," he said, with a twinkle in his eye, seemingly enjoying his part in this silly thing that I'd got him involved in.

"Thank you so much for doing this," I whispered against his ear, just as the woman behind the counter asked us what we'd like.

When she put our drinks on a tray, and he went to pull out his wallet, I shook my head. "The least I can do is buy you a coffee."

I was carrying the tray over to our table, and I looked back and chuckled when I noticed Noel was getting us some cookies to go with the drinks.

My mother of course was smiling from ear to ear, gesturing at my 'boyfriend.' "Well, I know one thing, you two will have gorgeous kids, with him being so handsome."

"Mom, we've only been dating for a few months, so we're nowhere near talking about kids yet."

Chuckling, my dad patted her hand. "Well, you know your mother. She's probably already picking out baby names, now that she's finally seen the two of you together."

Mom just laughed as Noel took the seat beside me, thankfully without hearing her comment about us starting a family.

"So, what do you for a living, Kurt?" my dad asked before Noel had even settled into his seat.

Before he had a chance to think of an answer, I thought I'd better jump in, since I hadn't had time to explain much. "Dad, I think I mentioned that's Kurt's a carpenter. A very talented one, too. Aren't you, hon?"

Slyly grinning at me, Noel nodded. But as he pushed the plate of cookies towards my parents, I noticed my dad curiously studying his hands that I realized looked awfully smooth for someone who earned a living working with tools.

"So, Kurt, do you work in home construction? Because that's a good job now days," dad said.

"Yep, Kurt's a finish carpenter. He does all the baseboards and trim and things like wainscotting."

Dad chuckled, nodding at me as he reached for a cookie. "Does she always do your talking for you, Kurt?"

Noel laughed, slipped his arm around me and gave me a little squeeze. "I'm just happy that she's interested in what I do."

We all smiled when my mother took a sip from her cup, and let out a delighted little sigh. "Now that's what I call a nice cup of tea." Then she turned her attention to my 'boyfriend.' "So, how did you two meet?"

"At a birthday party," I quickly explained. "It turns out we have mutual friends."

The way Noel smiled into my eyes I just couldn't look away. Playing his part perfectly he told them, "I took one look at her, and before I even knew her name, I just knew that the two of us were meant to be together."

"Oh, how romantic," my mother said, touching a hand over her heart, wistfully smiling back and forth between us.

Though I knew it was just an act, I had to swallow pretty hard before I could reach for my cup to have a sip of tea after he'd said that.

Then I almost spit it across the table when my dad laid a bombshell on us.

"Well, I hope you two don't mind, but your mother and I have decided to spend a couple of days here with you. We've never been to San Fransico before, so we thought we might as well enjoy a few days seeing the sights. And it'll give us a chance to get to know you a little better, Kurt."

They had to be kidding, now they wanted to stay with us? I was so shocked, I swallowed the wrong way and started choking my head off. Looking worried, Noel turned and patted my back. "Honey, are you okay?"

While I was busy trying to catch my breath, I was also wondering what the heck I was going to do now. Obviously, my fake boyfriend wouldn't be coming home with us. Which meant my secret would be out. And I'd have to tell them that I didn't have a boyfriend anymore.

I knew they'd be shocked to learn that I was so desperate to spare my mother's feelings that I'd actually talked a complete stranger into playing the part of my ex.

This was crazy, even for me. And now I had to tell them the truth, and crush my mother's dreams.

"I've lived here most of my life, so I'd be happy to show you around," I heard Noel saying, half wondering if I was hearing things.

I turned my head and stared at him hard, but he just shrugged. As I looked into his eyes, I wondered why he'd even offer, when we both knew that this whole farce was only meant to last for an hour. So, obviously, there was no way he was going to show them around the city.

"If you could spare the time, it would be lovely if you could show us around, Kurt," my mother said, reaching for her phone. "I've got loads of pictures from our trip, but I'd love to get a few while we're here, especially of the Golden Gate Bridge."

Noel looked on nodding as she showed him some of her favorite shots. "That's a nice one of the Great Wall," he remarked. "I've always wanted to see that."

"That was the whole reason we took the tour. Walking the Great Wall was on the top of Joan's bucket list. And luckily, we found a location that had cable cars, so we didn't have to climb our way up."

"Well, you've got some really good pictures," Noel said, admiring the one with my mother blissfully smiling with the Great Wall fading off in the distance behind her, like an endless yellow ribbon.

Just then, my mother turned in her seat, looking around. "Oh, I think I need to find a bathroom."

I was grateful when my father got to his feet, and reached for her hand and said, "I should go, too."

Once they were out of earshot, I turned and apologized. "I'm so sorry, Noel. I had no idea they planned to stay. Thanks for offering to help out, but you can leave now if you want. When they get back, I guess I'll just have to tell them the truth."

He didn't say anything at first, but I could hardly believe my ears when he shrugged and suggested, "Or, I could come back to your place and we could act like we're together for a day or two."

I just hoped he wasn't kidding, because if he was willing to play along, then they'd never have to know what I'd done. "Seriously? You wouldn't mind doing that? I realize this is getting a little crazy."

He chuckled. "Yeah, just a bit. But I'm thinking maybe I could use a little crazy in my life right about now."

"You don't have anywhere else to be?"

He shook his head. "No, not anymore."

The way he was dressed, in a stylish deep brown leather jacket, beige khakis and white linen shirt, he didn't look like he was unemployed. But right now, I didn't care if he earned a living playing a harmonica on a street corner for spare change. I was just glad he was willing to act like we were together, hopefully for only another day or two.

"I'm really sorry I got you tangled up in this, Noel," I said again, feeling awful that he was being forced to help me act out this ridiculous charade.

"It's fine. Your parents seem nice and so do you," he said as he handed me his phone, along with his business card. "Just give me your address, and phone number and I'll meet you there."

I tucked his card into my purse and quickly typed in my address, while keeping an eye out for my folks.

After I'd entered my info, I was shaking so hard, Noel reached for my hand and gave it a squeeze. While he gently rubbed his thumb over the back of my hand, I took a deep breath and slowly exhaled. I knew then, with his help, it would be okay and we could do this. Especially since they'd be heading home in a few days. Once they were settled back in Boston, hopefully I could find a way to tell them that the two of us had broken up.

As he did his best to calm me down, I thought he seemed like such a nice guy, I kind of wished we could have met under different circumstances.

When I heard the unmistakable sound of my mother's high-pitched laugh, I quickly handed him back his phone.

NOEL

As I was swiping my credit card through the machine, leaving the airport parking garage, I could hardly believe what the two of us were doing.

Of course, Whitney caught my eye the minute I saw her. I thought she looked almost angelic with all that long, reddish blonde hair trailing down her back, flashing those big innocent blue eyes. It didn't hurt that she had a really sweet little body, too.

Though it had been years since I'd even looked at another woman, somehow, she managed to reel me in without even trying.

Still, I could hardly wrap my head around the fact that I'm driving to her place to fool her parents into thinking that we're together.

Although I'm already thinking that once this thing was over, I wouldn't mind spending a little time getting to know her better. She does seem like she'd be fun, which is something I've been desperately needing in my life.

Now at least for a few days, I'd be enjoying some time with lovely Whitney. Her folks really did seem nice, too. Which made me feel a little guilty about deceiving them. But if it made her mother happy to believe that her daughter was settled, then I didn't think we were doing anything wrong.

Especially once she told me that her mother had had cancer, like my late my wife, I couldn't really see a way to say no.

When I got home, I took a few minutes to pack some clothes, though I wasn't exactly sure what I'd need. Assuming it was only going to be staying for a day or two, I packed what I'd normally take for a business trip, including a suit, though I rarely travelled anymore.

Driving along the highway, I was wondering if I should pick up some groceries, since Whitney wasn't expecting to have three other people staying with her.

I noticed a little market off to the right, pulled into the parking lot, grabbed my phone and called her. "Hey," I said, smiling at the sound of her voice, when she saw it was me and responded with a smile in her voice. "I was thinking I should pick up some groceries. And I just wondered if there was anything you needed."

"That's really sweet of you, but I don't want to put you out."

"I'm already here, just tell me what you need and I'll go in and get it."

Since she didn't ask for much, I decided I'd pick up enough basics for the four of us for at least three days. Before we hung up, I said, "Oh, and I also need to know where to park, once I get to your building."

"Oh, right. I almost forgot. There's underground parking ramp on the right side of the building. You just have to punch in my apartment number backwards to get in. I've got two spots, so you can park beside my car, on the left near the entrance."

"Good. See you soon."

She lowered her voice and whispered, "I don't even know how to thank you, Noel. You've been so understanding about this whole thing."

"Hey, this is kind of an adventure for me, so I really don't mind."

As I packed the groceries in the back of my SUV, I kind of laughed when I thought back to that little kiss I pressed to her cheek. She just grinned and gave me the side-eye, since we both knew that her parents were watching us to see how we interacted.

When my wife was alive, I never missed an opportunity to show her that I loved her. And since Whitney and I were supposed to be involved, I knew I'd kiss her every chance I got if we really were together. So, naturally I kissed her goodbye after I'd helped load our cars with her parents' luggage, since I was going off in my own car.

Driving along her street, I noticed Whitney lived in a nice neighborhood in what looked like a fairly new building. Thankfully I found the spot she mentioned as I soon as I drove into the garage.

As I took the elevator up, I felt a little anxious, knowing that for the next few days, the four of us would be staying under the same roof.

With her parents watching our every move.

Whitney wearing a cute little smile, met me at the door with a quick kiss on the lips. While her father came up behind her and thanked me for helping with their luggage, relieving me of the big, heavy suitcase I'd brought in my trunk.

I noticed as Whitney led me into the kitchen, that she had a really nice place, bright and airy with lots of plants. I was smiling as I followed behind her, enjoying the sway of her tight little backside.

I set the bags of groceries down on the counter, and she got in close and whispered, "Thanks so much for picking this up. Now just tell me how much I owe you."

"No worries. It wasn't much. Since I'll be eating here, too, I thought I'd better pick up a few things."

"You really are sweet," she said, brushing her hand across my cheek. I thought she was absolutely adorable, and now I was thinking how lucky I was that I'd taken a chance and headed up to the arrivals level looking to try and find some coffee. Otherwise, we never would have met.

She pointed at the far end of the counter. "Mom made a pot of tea. Or you can make yourself some coffee, I've got lots of different kinds," she said, gesturing at the glass bowl brimming with coffee pods. "And if you're hungry, I made a few sandwiches, just to tide us over till dinner."

While she was busy looking in the fridge for pickles, I was trying to figure out how the heck her coffee maker worked.

I didn't hear her father come up behind me, till he cleared his throat and asked, "Are you having trouble with that, Kurt?"

Not sure what to say, I lied and said, "Yeah, we just got this one, and I'm used to the old one."