All Comments on 'Sweet Spot Ch. 06'

by podga

Sort by:
  • 30 Comments
afrodita79afrodita79almost 12 years ago
OMG!!!!

Love it.. to bad about Paul's family his that was just the worst .... but in contrast George was just the perfect brother... and Andy oh my love him... can't wait to read the next chapter and see were they go and so sweet hoe Paul tells Andy he love's him.... just wow

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago

Ahhhhh, that was such a sweet ending to a great story, even if Paul's family was mean.

geemeedeegeemeedeealmost 12 years ago

I know this is probably the end, but I'm not ready to let go yet! The scene at home felt rushed. I was surprised Paul didn't meet separately with his siblings the next day, or at least have phone conversations with them. His nieces and nephews adore him, and now he's just ... gone. Also, I was hoping for a talk with his mom. And what will he do for a career?

If this is the end, podga, I hope you consider revisiting them a year or so into their future. Maybe a trip back to the states so Andy can meet the siblings who accept Paul? That's if the characters still interest you now that Paul has come out. It's understandable if they don't ... (she says, sad yet hopeful)

HeifelHeifelalmost 12 years ago
agree with geemeedee..

Beautiful story buth I´m hoping it isn´t the end. Need to know what happens with Pauls jobsituation and with his family. Maybe as a "side-story"?!

Keep up the brilliant work, Podga!")

DreamrealDreamrealalmost 12 years ago
Can't end it this way!!!

I needed more closure. I don't want stop hearing from paul and andy till they live happily ever after.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
wow

Paul's scene at home had me cryin my eyes out, it was just so realistic.

CMfromSwedenCMfromSwedenalmost 12 years ago
WOW !!!!! 10 stars out of 5 ;)

This is without question your best story so far !! It is so painfully realistic, I felt as if I was present during the dinnerscen in Bridgewater.. Yes I cried my eyes out when I read it !! WOW !! Loved it !!!

cliffgirl08cliffgirl08almost 12 years ago
Hope it isn't the end

I agree with geemeedee, it feels as if something's missing. You don't write how long he stayed in Bridgeport after coming out to his family, but it sounds as if he left immediately. John and his wife seemed accepting, so I would've made the effort to try to reach out to them, even secretly, and see how open his mom was. However, Paul was so distraught about his dad's attitude, I'm not sure I wouldn't have immediately gone back to Greece where I felt safer with Andy. Altogether, it was an excellent chapter.

ikhneumonikhneumonalmost 12 years ago
Hit a nerve

That, uh… that hit a lot closer to home than I was anticipating. Wow. I just wish that when it was my turn I had handled things with half the courage and conviction you gave Paul. Or had a brother like George to stick up for me, or a lover like Andy to come home to afterward. Thank you for them. On behalf of those of us who remember all too well what it's like to be Paul.

LaVieErotiqueLaVieErotiquealmost 12 years ago
More please

Truly excellent

secretsidessecretsidesalmost 12 years ago
Great

Great story and fitting ending. I am so glad you didn't waste time and energy on Paul's father. Some people are just not worth the energy you would expend trying to get through to them.

I re-read the ending 3 times (so far) very sweet and well written.

hopkinscmhopkinscmalmost 12 years ago
Made me cry

Such a sweet story, really enjoyed it. Glad George stuck up for him.

LaurelanwynLaurelanwynalmost 12 years ago
I hope we get an epilogue.

I know you love a good epilogue. I hope you give one to Andy & Paul. Well to be honest I'd love a few more chapters first.

TimothyMTimothyMalmost 12 years ago

Running back to Andy as fast as possible was exactly the right choice. I would have been pissed if Paul had stayed, after having his worst fears confirmed (except for George). He did his duty for his family for so long, time to look out for himself, or at least get back to the guy who will do that. And the 'I love you' ending was perfect. Thank you for another wonderful story.

roughboy18roughboy18almost 12 years ago
Lovely story

I appreciate your realism. People aren't always on their best behavior and you showed us Paul and Andy's real lives and their real relationship. Seeing the bad moments makes the good so much better. Paul's revelation to his family was heartbreaking, but true to life a well. If his dad had changed his mind, or his mom had defied his dad all of a sudden, it would not have had as much impact. Life is not perfect and a writer who helps us understand how to cope is well worth reading -- and rereading. Thanks for the wonderful story.

podgapodgaalmost 12 years agoAuthor
From podga

To begin with, I wanted to thank everybody who read, commented on and/or favorited Sweet Spot. It's truly a compliment, and even more so that some of you want to still see more of Paul and Andy.

As a writer (even an amateur one or maybe ESPECIALLY an amateur one) I think I need to explain why chapter 6 is the last one, despite the fact that some issues remained unresolved or seemed rushed.

If you've read my other work here, as well, you've probably gathered that I have a certain position regarding life and love. Basically, I believe that finding and sustaining love is always possible, no matter how old you may be, and that it can make life immeasurably sweeter.

However, love doesn't cure everything. Paul is still going to struggle with attitudes in Greece (though as the story mentions, he is adding on more pupils again) and his mother, younger brother and sister will still not stand up to his father to support him and reach out to him, no matter how much they might sympathize, at least not in the short term. Paul will still dislike confrontation and not being able to contribute equally to the household. And even in an epilogue -- and yes, I do like them! :) -- to resolve these issues neatly for Paul just doesn't feel right to me. In fact, it feels a bit like a betrayal to both the character development, and to any of us that had to struggle through some of the same issues Paul did.

So is it a HEA then? Well, yeah, I think so. Because as I've grown older, I've come to realize that living your life with someone at your side can be a gift in and of itself, as long as you don't let your problems, regrets or unrealized dreams blind you to that fact. And Paul and Andy have that.

I'm happy to discuss at more length, if anybody feels like it. Just hit the "Send Feedback" button and I'll get back to you!

feelinromanticfeelinromanticalmost 12 years ago

Firstly, thank you for another great story. I was annoyed at myself for not noticing it sooner, so will be taking cares to check your page more regularly from now on :)

Secondly, stop referring to yourself as amateur - you're a pro writer even if you don't do it full time. I've read and reread all the stories you posted on the site and your skill at drawing a perfect picture is incredible - and getting better!

Thirdly, I understand that there's unlikely to be a fairytale ending for Paul - life just doesn't come in ribbon wrapped boxes - but I'd still like to make a plea for an epilogue for those bits of Paul's 'real-life' that you may only consider background. Did he get to do more coaching with the Czech boy and was it successful? Did zoila become a good work colleague who had just been looking out for him or not? Did his boss realise he could be discrete and still be out? I know epilogues are supposed to be for wrapping up loose ends, but couldn't this one just be about seeing a man build a life?!

ok, i realise in actually begging now, so will sign off before i really embarass myself!

Whatever you write next, write soon ;)

jonathanlovescockjonathanlovescockover 11 years ago

yet another fantastic instalment by a brilliant writer. you are one of the best writers on here , and your story is fantastic cant wait for the next instalment .... keep up the great work..........best wishes .????????? you know who i am lol x x x x x x

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
I love your writing and this story

I can understand the requests for more. I know you have said you are finished with this story and I am grateful to have spent this time with your characters. They seem so real to me that I wouldn't be surprised if I just ran into them one day and started chatting. They would probably wonder who this old nutter is...

However, an epilogue, maybe one where Paul's story and Nate's story intersect again, does not have to tie up loose ends but, like the annual xmas letter you get from friends you haven't had a chance to see much of during the previous year, allow us a sweet glimpse of ones who are dear to us.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Why?

There's this thing about your stories where your protagonists are almost always the ones at fault. They harbor guilty consciences or doubts, they have confessions or apologies to make.......while their partners are usually the calm, dependable and condescending ones. As the reader I like to relate to the protagonist more, so you can see that this doesn't feel good to me. Is this "giving-up-control" thing a kind of fetish for you? It especially ruined one of your best works for me, 'No Remedy For Love'. If you read this comment I hope you'll bring something different in your next piece. Keep writing though, you keep me hooked.

hotlover69hotlover69over 11 years ago

fucking fantastic story

ladymaryladymaryover 11 years ago
You are such an excellent writer

There are a few good writers on this site but no one can portray the progression of a relationship or the intimacy between two lovers as well as you can. The interaction of the characters is so delicate and natural that it feels real, like I am sitting in their living-room and watching it happen. And though all your stories are beautifully written I still can’t get over how amazing is “No Other Life than this”. In my opinion that is still your best story and I literally can’t stop reading it.

Thank you very much for your stories

TimothyMTimothyMover 11 years ago
Why on this story ?

I can see what you (Anon) mean about the comment about the protagonists feeling inadequate compared to their partners etc. But I find it very curious that you chose exactly this story to write that complaint. Because this is the only Podga story so far, where we see BOTH the main characters' point of view, and the partner is not protrayed as being superior. Though actually in most of Podga's stories, both the men usually have these insecurity issues, even if the protagonist tells it as if he is the only one with problems.

Anyway, compared to the complications that you find in a lot of the GM romance stories here, Podgas characters have fairly mundane and thus believable emotional matters to solve. And they usually do so without the drama and incredible twists found in so many other popular series here (naming no names :-) In fact, we are allowed to smile fondly and shake our heads at the antics together with the author, while still applauding the fact that the protagonists really do try their best and actually do get their act together - often maturing in the process and reaching a new awareness as well as well deserved happiness. I like that very much.

And if the men and their relationships were perfect from the start, there wouldn't really be a story, eh ?

TimothyMTimothyMabout 11 years ago
Greek name tradition ?

It's so confusing how Paul's mother and two af his nieces have almost the same name. His mother is Kate. Mary and Dennis have a daugther called Katie, and George and Xenia have a daugther called Kathy. Did you run out of ideas for names or was this on purpose (is a Greek tradition to name your daughters after their grandmother) ?

Reading this chapter again I also became aware that Mary's attitude actually pissed me off more than Paul's parents. She was being really nasty for someone of her generation, and I'm so glad George told her off very cleverly.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Love this story, love all your stories

You are so insightful about people's motivations and their internal dialogues it is like you have a recorder in my head. You haven't posted for over 12 months and I am hoping you have something you are working on. I would be happy to pay for it because you are certainly capable of moving to that level. All the best whatever you do.

darthatheosdarthatheosover 9 years ago
Great

A long but great story.

swimguy33swimguy33over 9 years ago
Wonderful!

Masterful story-telling. Thanks for creating characters we cared about. And it was set in one of my favorite places in the world. Great, great job. And hot sex, too!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
BEAUTIFUL STORY

This was such a beautiful, unrushed, loving story. Watching the two of them grow together, knowing they were right for each other, that they loved each other, even before they did. Wonderful writing job.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

A superb love story, totally believable and involving.

The writing is top notch with finely etched emotions and realistic dialogue.

Five stars every day of the week - thank you for creating and sharing.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous