All Comments on 'Swinging in the 70s Ch. 01'

by TheGraduate88

Sort by:
  • 1 Comment
Peter_ClevelandPeter_Cleveland5 months ago

I remember the "Sexual Revolution" of the late 1960s and early 1970s well and fondly, and TheGraduate88 has accurately captured the tone and many of the feelings of the era. Especially in university towns (where I too lived), loving adultery seemed perfectly consistent with--even beneficial to--a loving marriage. Often it was true, too.

.

While I think the author got almost every detail right (per my own experience), I'd quibble with a couple of fairly small points. (1) Pregnancy and childbirth do not change (damage) the bodies of all women in the way they did Myra's. (2) I think women's unshaved underarms ca. 1973 were less "a feminist 'statement'" than a "countercultural" celebration of nature over artificial, corporate-controlled 'beauty' standards--much like rejection of bras was. See also the (hairy) illustrations in "The Joy of Sex" (1972) and the long-running Broadway musical, "Hair." My first lover had unshaved underarms, and I have loved that natural look on a woman ever since.

.

But these are quibbles. I liked Chapter 1 a lot. I trust Chapter 2 will reveal how the evening went for Monica.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTheGraduate88@TheGraduate88
1948 Natal Year. 1968 Draftee. 1976 B.S. 1978 M.A. Four decades as a professional planner. Free thinker, part of the sexual revolution, enjoyer of women, strictly heterosexual.

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES