Synchronicity for Six Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm glad you're driving. Let me pull it up on my phone. Good ol' Wikipedia is almost as crucial as Google has become. Here it is," and Alan continued to read aloud. "'The Peter principle is a concept in management developed by Laurence J. Peter, which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to "a level of respective incompetence": employees are promoted based on their success in previous jobs until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent, as skills in one job do not necessarily translate to another. The concept was explained in the 1969 book The Peter Principle by Peter and Raymond Hull. (Hull wrote the text, based on Peter's research.) Peter and Hull intended the book to be satire, but it became popular as it was seen to make a serious point about the shortcomings of how people are promoted within hierarchical organizations. The Peter Principle has since been the subject of much commentary and research.'"

"Okaaay." It was Rose's turn to draw the word out while she gathered her thoughts. "What does any of that have to do with your shutting yourself away from us?"

"I think I'm just stressed with inheriting these people who try to do the job but just aren't qualified to do it and they really don't want to step down from the salary. I suspect they might be admitting to their failure by asking to step down. Nobody likes to admit they are a failure." He paused for a minute, then continued. "Now, it has taken me this time to evaluate the possible courses of action, and I've finally decided on the best way forward. I need to talk with Gil tomorrow before taking any action. I'm very sorry if I've been neglecting you or Maggie or David. I need you, Rose."

Alan then brought up Spotify on his phone and navigated to America's song, 'I Need You', and started it playing. "Like the flower needs the rain, I need you. Like the winter needs the spring, you know I need you," he sang along.

"When did you sign up for Spotify, Alan?"

"Seeing as we now have our regular Saturday night dancing sessions, I thought it prudent to sign up for the family plan so we can all have this."

"You continue to surprise me, Alan, love. Here, play it over Bluetooth." He connected his phone to her car, and the oldies music with tight harmonies flowed from the car's speakers. She reached over with her right hand to hold onto his left as they drove along.

After about 15 minutes of handholding, Alan broke the mood with, "Rose, what do you want our wedding to be like?"

After a little thought, she replied, "I would like Pastor John to officiate for us. I want my girls to stand up with me. Matching them up with your boys beside you seems a foregone conclusion." She paused, then continued. "I'd like you to wear either a tuxedo or buy a very nice suit. For me, I want an uncomplicated white dress in satin and lace. I had none of that when Ron and I eloped to Vegas." Another, longer pause. "I want both a photographer and a videographer. I want an album of wedding photos as well as video of the ceremony and reception that we can pull out on rainy or snowy evenings and look back and smile at." Then after an even longer pause, nearly half a minute, as she screwed up her courage, "And I want my father to walk me down the center aisle and give me to you."

That last bit caught Alan by surprise, especially after the video call they'd all had on Christmas Day. He exhaled through pursed lips, not a whistle per se but definitely a sigh of resignation. He would have to make nice with Elliot at some time in the not-so-distant future. Alan disliked being forced into a situation or dictated to an action path, even for Rose. But he would do almost anything for her happiness.

Rose had already learned to let Alan process significant things before trying to get him to agree on what should be done. Until he expressed things in words, his thoughts tended to be malleable. So, she let him internalize the information he had requested from her.

After a minute or two, he came back with, "I suppose we should write this all down."

"I've already begun a list at home, darling."

= = =

It took three trips in total by the four of them to get all of David's things into his dorm room. Admittedly, a few of the things were bulky, one-off items, like his painting of Laura, but despite that, the moving in was completed fairly quickly. Robert was already in the room when David first arrived, and Robert and Amanda quickly broke apart from their lip lock when the door opened suddenly. David ignored their efforts to straighten their clothing and restore tidiness to their mussed hair. He directed where he wanted things put and then shepherded the three to make another trip, promising introductions once everything had been brought in.

"Magpie, Dad, Momma," (Rose's swallow caught in her throat at David's words), "this is my roommate, Robert Graham and his girlfriend, Amanda Reid. Rob, Mandy, this is my dad, Alan Harrison, his fiancée, Rose Lawson, and her daughter and my girlfriend, Maggie."

Alan and Rose smiled and nodded their greetings, but Maggie stepped up to Mandy and gave her a hug, totally surprising everyone.

"It's nice to meet you, Amanda," she said, then breathed into her ear, "keep an eye on Davey for me, will you?"

Mandy was quick to recover her senses as she returned Maggie's embrace, nodding. "It's nice to meet you as well, Maggie. I think you're very lucky to have landed David. Have you seen his artwork? It blows me away at times."

Maggie answered, "Oh, yes, I've seen his work. Actually, we're lending this picture he did of his mom back to the school for the semester." She didn't mention the two pieces he had done of and for her. They were simply too special to her.

Robert's and Amanda's eyes bulged out as Alan turned the painting around to show them. They had not seen the finished piece before David had carted it back home at Thanksgiving.

"Hey, we need to get something to eat," David interrupted. "And you three need to get back on the road for home. Maggie's gotta work in the morning, and the bus comes earlier than her taxi used to. We'll leave you two to your devices for now. Please remember the sock protocol, Rob." David gathered his family up and shooed them out the door and down the one staircase. He pulled Maggie to him once they were out of the dorm and walking to the cars.

"What did you say to Mandy, Mags?"

"I just asked her to keep an eye out for you. I cannot allow anyone to start poaching on my territory, you know." David scoffed at her worrying about him.

"Would the Golden Corral be acceptable?" Alan inquired.

= = =

As the time approached for the three to depart for Middleburg, Maggie was getting very clingy to David. Moreso than she had been at home. He literally could eat with only his left hand, as his right hand was clenched tightly in Maggie's left. Fortunately, he chose items from the buffet that he could eat with only one hand. He tried his best to soothe her, to reassure her that he was coming back. Alan and Rose just watched with some amusement and a little concern. They would be the ones having to deal with a David-less Maggie. Rose got up and invited Maggie to come with her to the Ladies' room, and a mother/daughter discussion quickly ensued.

"Margaret Kathleen Lawson, take a chill pill! He will be back for weekends once he knows his schedule and assignments. What happened to the 'cast-iron bitch' who went to Centreville High School in October and November? Yes, I heard you being called that by some other students who didn't know I was in hearing range."

"Mom! Really? Okay, okay. I know I'm borrowing trouble from tomorrow. I just love him so much!"

Rose smiled and kissed Maggie on the forehead. "Yes, Magpie, I know that you love him. And he loves you. Believe that, take it to heart, know it in your soul. I promise, it will be alright. Now let's go back and have some dessert. We'll give you the space to lay one on him that will leave his knees weak and thinking only of you."

And that's what happened, except that Rose and Alan were emulating their children on the other side of the car as well. After returning David to the Art Institute and another set of tender farewells, the three climbed into Rose's car and they set off for Middleburg with Rose still driving. Maggie was busy with her phone, listening to David's Highlander playlist and texting him as much as he would respond.

While they drove, Alan probed for more of Rose's mind about what she wanted and didn't want for their wedding and reception. They were nearing Middleburg when Alan's phone rang. Looking at the number, his face paled briefly, then he put the phone to his right ear, away from Rose.

"Hello, Elliot. To what do I owe the pleasure of conversing with you this evening?"

"Are you at home, Alan?" Elliot asked.

"No, Rose, Maggie, and I are in the car returning from having taken David back to school for the spring semester."

"Good. Would you please put me on speaker mode so the ladies may hear as well?"

"Very well, Elliot." Alan enabled the speaker on his phone, then turned to get Maggie's attention, informing her that her grandfather was on the phone. She quickly pulled the earphones out and listened.

"Hello, Father. How is Mother?" Rose asked before Elliot could get started.

"She's fine, Daughter, or she was when I saw her last this afternoon."

Forgetting her issues and promises, Rose blurted out, "Daddy? What's the matter? Did something happen between you two?" Alan gritted his teeth at her use of 'Daddy', but held his tongue, waiting to see how this played out.

"No, Rosie, everything's fine between your mother and me. I'm here in Middleburg to address something far more troubling and far-reaching. May I come by tomorrow evening for supper so we can discuss it? I think it has impact on Alan mostly, but maybe on you as well."

Rose looked pleadingly at Alan, saying nothing but asking, begging with her eyes. Once again, Alan would do almost anything to ensure her happiness. This was just one more thing. He bowed his head, nodding to her, agreeing to her unspoken request.

"Yes, Daddy, you are quite welcome to come for supper tomorrow. Where are you staying? Do you know how to find our home?"

"One thing at a time, Rosalie. I'm staying at the Westin hotel. And yes, I know how to find Alan's home. I have the address as I have an offline copy of Alan's personnel file, seeing how he is going to become your husband. And Google Maps is a wonderful tool. Will 6:30 be too late tomorrow?"

"That would be fine, Father. I'm so looking forward to seeing you again," Rose gushed.

"And I am looking forward to seeing you and Margaret in person, too. Until tomorrow then, goodbye." Elliot ended the call. Alan just looked at Rose, trying to remain expressionless. Rose returned her attention to the road to get them home safely.

It was still somewhat early, but Maggie's emotions had taken their toll upon her, and she bid Alan and Rose a good evening. It seemed to Rose that Maggie's ascent was a bit more labored than usual, but then Rose could have been trying to read more into the situation than was truly there. Once on the second floor, Maggie addressed her hygiene needs and was soon in her bed. Plugging in her phone, it pinged with a message from David, and her heart leaped with joy.

"Remember to set the alarm on your phone, and be sure to take your pill in the morning," he reminded her.

She swiftly replied with "I L Y V M". She did not expect it so quickly, but she got a response in less than a minute of "I L Y 2. Talk tomorrow?" "YES @ 8PM" she answered. And that was the last she heard from David that night. She set her alarm for 7:45 and stripped to panties and one of David's t-shirts, then climbed into bed and was soon asleep. The scent of his shirt almost made up for his absence. Her dreams were filled with remembrances of their time together over the previous glorious month, and she rested very well.

Rose was very subdued while she prepared for bed while Alan was down in the kitchen assembling leftovers for lunches for all three of them. Both Rose and Alan were thinking about Elliot's contact from earlier. Alan had caught not being included in Elliot's goodbye, but he wasn't entirely surprised. He supposed there were still some bad feelings about his precipitous engagement to Rose without seeking their blessing first. Alan was surprised Elliot had come to Middleburg. Perhaps he had business to attend to and was double-dipping on the circumstances. He'd find out at supper on Tuesday.

Rose's musings were more familial in nature. She had leaped to the conclusion that something was wrong in her parents' marriage, and her father's words seemed to support those suppositions. She had never shared her worries about them with anybody. Sure, they were now in their mid-60's and they had been married since their early 20's. Yet she wondered at times why they had stayed together once she had left home and married Ron Lawson. Martha and Elliot seemed to operate at different speeds on completely separate paths. While her parents' relationship had precious little to do with her day-to-day life, she did not want undue turmoil. She needed to speak with her mother before her father arrived for supper.

Alan made sure all the doors were locked and the lights were out before mounting the stairs to their bedroom. His thinking had shifted from 'his bedroom' to 'their bedroom', and he was very comfortable with that. He quickened his steps at the idea of her awaiting him. Quietly opening the door, he saw Rose just climbing into her side of the bed, naked. He very swiftly undressed to match her, and they petted and cuddled each other until sleep overcame them.