Synchronicity for Six Pt. 08

Story Info
Continuing the Harrison/Lawson story; adding a new member.
11k words
4.85
2.5k
3
15

Part 8 of the 14 part series

Updated 08/07/2023
Created 02/06/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note: This is a story of the romantic love of three couples. There is very little explicit sex in it, so if that is what you're seeking, look elsewhere on Literotica.

= = =

Saturday, February 6, continued

"WHAT THE FUCK!" David's exclaimed. "What do you mean, she's not your sister?"

Larry sighed deeply. He did not want to share family details with outsiders, but David was his really good friend and now Katie had taken up with Maggie. If it could help Katie, he would share what he could.

"I'm not supposed to know this, but she's actually my cousin. My dad's brother got his girlfriend 'in trouble' not too long after I was born. My grandparents are more Catholic than the archbishop, and they would not allow the life to be terminated. They badgered my parents into accepting Katie as their own. At least, that's what it was supposed to look like to the outside. We moved to Middleburg right before I started elementary school, so nobody here has, or, had, a clue about her true relationship to my parents."

"How do you know this, Larry, if it's a big family secret?" David asked, again indicating that Alan and Rose should remain silent.

"I overheard my parents talking one night a couple of years ago. Something about the money from my grandparents was going to stop once she turned 18. They were arguing about paying for her to go to college. Ever since that time, I've tried to be more caring toward her. And then I got accepted up here at Tech, and I'm hours away. I've failed her, haven't I?" His voice sounded like he was choking on his words.

Rose's hand was covering her mouth. Tears were welling up in her eyes. But she was shaking her head, indicating that she disagreed with Larry's self‑assessment. Alan just sat there, a look of pain on his face as he considered things.

"I wouldn't say that you've failed anything, Larry," David tried to console his friend. "If anyone failed anything, it may be your parents or grandparents. I can't judge them, and I don't think you should either. You need to know that Katie's distraught about how your parents have been treating her for the last few months, maybe even the last few years. She needs to know what you know. When will be your next visit home from school so you can sit down with her and talk? She's certain that everything wrong between her and your parents is her fault. We will continue to assure her that it's nothing she's done or not done. I'll need to talk things over with my dad and Rose about what we can do to best help Katie, and what to do if you can't come home for a while."

"You're a really good friend, David. Thank you for your suggestion. Thank you for caring enough to ask me." Larry sobbed. "I've got to go now, Dave. Please take care of Katie, as much as you can. For me." And Larry ended the call. David realized that Larry never answered his question about when he would be home next. 'No answer is still an answer,' David thought.

David looked at Alan and Rose with genuine pain in his expression. Rose grabbed Alan and pulled herself tightly to his chest. The dam holding back her tears burst. The sympathy for Katie's situation was overwhelming everybody. Even David was misting up at the injustice.

After a few minutes of cathartic emotional outpouring, and with the help of the box of tissues, everyone got themselves back under control.

"Now for the hard question: what do we tell Katie?" Alan asked.

"The real question is more than that; it's also: what do we do about it?"

= = =

Johnson's Jewelers in downtown Middleburg was very busy that Saturday. The increased business volume was due primarily to Valentine's Day being just a week away, plus the flood of advertising in the newspaper and on the radio. There's nothing like a 25% off sale properly timed. The experience of the customers far exceeded their expectations.

When the first customers entered, they were very pleasantly surprised by the fragrance of freshly brewed coffee and a hint of hot chocolate in the air. The attractive greeter/hostess directed the customers' attention to the proper section of the store where two attractive ladies and one handsome man awaited to help. When others arrived, they were warmly greeted and invited to have a seat at a table and enjoy a warming drink while they waited for the next salesperson to become available. Nobody felt ignored, especially when Katie offered to refill their cups while they waited.

Several customers communicated their delight at the experience of the hospitality station and the hostess staffing it. Repeatedly throughout the day, Jack would look over at Maeve and smile and bow his head in acknowledgment of her savvy. She, in turn, would nod her head in recognition of Jack's spur-of-the-moment decision to ask Katie to serve as the greeter/hostess.

It was to the great relief of all four people when 4:30 finally rolled around. Jack flipped the sign in the door to 'closed', locked the door, and everyone gathered in the back room to debrief. Maeve started things off.

"Kathleen, thank you. I believe that your presence helped to make today one of the best business days we have ever had. I don't know the numbers, but person after person told me that our having a hostess set us so far above their expectations."

"Indeed, Miss O'Shea, you validated my decision so wonderfully," Jack chimed in. He handed her a plain white envelope and added, "I trust you will be available to do this again next Saturday? We may be even busier, although I cannot imagine what that would look like. But word of mouth will spread. Maggie, I think we'll have to keep at least one table out during the week along with the beverage station for self-service." That drew a grin and a nod from Maggie.

"Now, you two be safe driving home, and we'll look for you tomorrow morning," Maeve pulled each girl in, one at a time, and gave each a quick kiss on the forehead. Katie had wide eyes at the loving gesture, so unexpected from Mrs. Johnson. Maggie handed Katie her coat and tugged her hand. Maggie wanted to get home to David, and Katie was her ride.

"Good night, Jack, Maeve. We'll see you over coffee tomorrow morning," Maggie called out and they departed.

= = =

The remainder of Saturday afternoon at the Harrison residence was spent discussing what should be shared with Katie in regards to what Larry had divulged. Early on it was agreed to be as caring and supportive toward Katie as possible. Nobody could see a remotely pleasant or calm scenario resulting from Katie learning about her past. There had been enough drama in the Harrison household recently. In the end, the consensus was not to volunteer any information but to try to guide Katie into asking the right questions of the right people, namely her parents. They would not lie, but they would answer a direct question if Katie were to ask.

David had the idea to bring out his family tree for discussion. Knowing that Alan was an only child as well as Alan's father being one made that side of the tree rather sparse. Discussing Laura's side could be seen as insensitive to Rose and Maggie, for most previous generations there were multiple children, some of whom never appeared to marry. Rose gave her blessing to this, unable to come up with another way to try to guide Katie's search for answers.

About 4:00 Rose began to assemble the supper. Soon thereafter, the house began to fill with the delightful aroma of baking lasagna, to which she would eventually add oven‑toasted garlic bread. When the girls walked in the door just before 5:00, their noses began to twitch and smiles spread from ear to ear. They quickly hung up their coats and went to the kitchen to sit at the table and kibitz with Rose while she was occupied preparing the rest of the meal.

"My, Katie, you look very nice this evening," Rose observed. "Did you have something special going on today?"

Katie looked a little puzzled at Rose's inquiry. Surely Maggie would have told her mother about Katie's limited engagement at the jewelry store. Maggie realized there had been a communication gap and it was entirely her fault.

"I'm sorry, Mom, I forgot to tell you last night. I got so wrapped up in Katie's test results and my Davey being home that it just went out of my head. Yesterday, Jack asked Katie to try out being a greeter/hostess in the store for both today and next Saturday. He hoped our store would be busier than normal, what with Valentine's Day approaching, and he was spot on! Katie did a fantastic job of welcoming the customers in and directing them to either myself, Jack, or Maeve. And when we were all busy, she offered them a place to sit as well as coffee, tea, or hot cocoa. Both Jack and Maeve were quite pleased with the results. As you noticed, she looks amazing!" Katie was blushing at Maggie's effusiveness.

"I really didn't do much, Mags."

"On the contrary, Kat, you helped to manage the flow of the customers and to help them feel at ease when they had to wait. You made today really happen!"

Katie was unaccustomed to this level of praise. She found that she liked it. A lot. Her smile was positively beaming.

"Okay, girls, go change out of your work clothes, wash up, and tell the guys that supper's going on the table in ten minutes, please," Rose requested.

After each giving Rose a quick hug of thanks, the girls scampered up the stairs to change into more comfortable clothing.

Alan heard the girls' mounting steps and emerged from the living room where he had been reading. He headed for the kitchen and quickly embraced his fiancée.

"Did the girls tell you to get washed up?" she asked.

"Not yet. They were giggling as they went upstairs. Where's David?"

"I'm right here, Dad," David said from the stairs to the basement.

"What were you doing down there?"

"Laundry and a little something to give to Tom and Julie when we visit them over Spring Break."

"Oh?" Rose was curious.

"Well, we all know they're probably 'banging like bunnies' whenever they can, right? So, I thought they could use a sign to hang up in their place, wherever that may be, stating 'Welcome to the Bunny Hutch'. Tom did not seem amused by the concept, but Julie did, when I mentioned something when we moved them in. I am also doing a portrait of just the two of them from the pictures taken at church before Christmas."

"That's very kind of you, David. I'm sure they'll treasure it," Alan commented.

"The portrait, or the sign?" David asked, attempting innocence and failing epically.

"The portrait, of course! Now, go wash up for supper. I'll help get the food to the table," Alan volunteered.

= = =

Dawn and John finagled their way into staying another night in the extra bed at Tom and Julie's apartment. They started their campaign by taking their hosts to breakfast at IHOP where they spent an hour and a half lingering over breakfast and multiple carafes of coffee. It was a very convivial time, and Tom and Julie were glad to get out of their small, basement apartment for a while. Before reaching for the check, Tom reached into his hip pocket for his wallet, but Dawn would not permit him to pay for their breakfast.

"At least let me leave the tip then, please," Tom pleaded.

"Only if John and I may stay tonight in your other bed. It's MUCH more comfortable than the Twin XL beds in the dorm rooms," she declared, with a wink.

"Fine," Tom exhaled and Julie let out the breath she had been holding. "Just come on by when you're done gallivanting about. Maybe even bring some coursework with you?"

Dawn smiled sweetly in her thanks for his acquiescence, and took John's hand and led him away.

Tom wanted to return to their apartment as he had work to complete for a couple of classes by the end of the coming week. Julie realized that she had a paper due by the end of the week as well. She returned with Tom and they quickly settled in on their schoolwork.

= = =

The only sounds heard during supper were the occasional request to pass something and the silverware on the China plates. Alan broke the relative silence by pushing himself back from the table and averring, "Rose, my love, my life, that was the best meal you have cooked for us, ever!" That plus the nods and humming from the other three youthful people gave Rose the praise she so dearly loved to receive.

"Thank you, Alan, MY love, MY life. I'm so glad you liked it. Now, would you please help me to clean this up and put away the leftovers? You get three guesses what's for lunch tomorrow, and the first two don't count."

"Gladly, my dear. But first, I need to do this." He reached into his front pocket and pulled out a key fob with a capital 'K' and a key dangling from the ring. "Katie, you have quickly won our respect, our trust, and most importantly, our love. I want you to have this key to our house so that you will know you are part of our family and will always have a place to go." He handed her the key, and she took it with a trembling hand. Her fork clattered on the plate as her right hand covered her mouth, trying to stifle the sob that was about to accompany the tears of joy suddenly streaming down her cheeks.

Reacting swiftly, Rose got up and pulled Katie to her breast, cooing soft words and stroking her hair just as she did for all her children. Katie's tears saturated the top front of Rose's blouse as whole‑body sobs shook the girl. Maggie also got up and wrapped her arms around Katie's other side. It took a few minutes for Katie to regain some modicum of composure, and when the ladies finally looked up, the table had been cleared of everything.

"I'm stuffed like a teddy bear, Katie. How about you?" With Katie's head nod, Maggie continued. "Let's go waddle into the media room, Kat. I want to call Joy and find out how she did on her Trig test yesterday." Maggie stood, holding out her hand to her friend.

"Davey," she called, "Would you please join us in the media room? Don't be too long. You know how Joy loves to see you. What did you do to her at the dance?" Maggie was teasing him, but he still blushed a little.

"What dance was this, Maggie?" Katie asked as they walked to the media room.

"It was my school's Winter Solstice Dance back in December once classes had ended. Davey came up, and Mom and Alan were there as chaperones. I promised Joy, Abbie, and Donna that they could each have a dance with my new boyfriend. You should have seen how flushed Joy's cheeks were after her time with David." Maggie was all smiles at her remembrance as she called Joy with her phone.

"Hi, Joy. Do you have a few minutes for a video call?" Maggie asked. "Okay, I'll fire it up. See you in a minute or two."

While Maggie was arranging and activating the video call, David was speaking in low tones with Alan and Rose.

"What do I say if Katie asks if I've spoken with Larry?"

"Tell her that you've spoken with him and his answers were complex. Then come get us and we'll surround her with enough love that it should not hurt too badly. But let her ask; don't volunteer, please," Rose advised and Alan nodded in approval.

With a mighty exhale, David nodded, then proceeded to wrap Rose in a big hug and whispered in her ear, "I love you so much, Momma. Thank you. Thank you for my Magpie."

Now it was Rose's turn to blush, and she kissed David on the cheek and pushed back. "Go, she's waiting for you."

David entered the media room just as Maggie connected with Joy over the video conferencing. His face lit up in a big smile of recognition.

"Hi, Joyful!" David had just made that up on the fly. It caught Maggie by surprise.

"Oooh, if it isn't hunky Davey. Whatcha doin' home, Davey?"

"Just keeping Maggie in line, Joy. Katie and Mags, Momma and Dad would like to speak with the three of us, just as soon as you're done with Joyful here. She does seem rather happy."

"Mags, you won't believe it! I got a 95 on my Trig test yesterday!" Joy squealed in her happiness. "My dad was so shocked that I did so well that he took us all out for supper last night. My teacher couldn't seem to believe it either. Then I told him that you were virtually tutoring me, and he gave a big laugh and said, 'It figures. Well done!' How did you do on your test, Katie?"

"I got a 92."

"Hey, that's a big improvement, too, right?" Joy gushed.

"I suppose so. Maggie's right, though. We can get 100s with her help." Katie looked away, recalling why she had made the same mistake as she had done on Maggie's pre-test. Her expression saddened as she reflected on her relationship with her parents. Which then reminded her about David supposedly talking with Larry.

"David, did you speak with Larry yet, like you promised?" Katie asked.

David felt like a knife was twisting in his guts, but answered, "Yeah, we spoke today. It's kinda complex. That's what our folks want to talk with us about. I'll be outside, waiting for you two." He stood and headed out the door, forestalling further discussion. Katie stood to follow him but paused for a moment.

Then Joy turned her head and hollered off camera, "I'll be right there, Mom. Hey, Mags, I've gotta go. Are we still on for tomorrow at 4:00?"

"Yeah, sure," Maggie answered, a bit distracted by Katie's sudden mood swing and David's uncharacteristic reticence. "Talk to you tomorrow, Joy."

"Bye, girlfriend!" and Joy disconnected.

Maggie shut down the laptop and display, then followed Katie out the door. Just outside stood David, Rose, and Alan. Rose and Alan had decided not to await David's summons and were waiting as well. Rose saw Katie's expression and took the lead.

"Girls, let's go sit in the living room where it's more comfortable, okay?" Rose guided Maggie and Katie to the front of the house and left into the living room, with Alan and David following dutifully behind. The coffee table had been moved in front of the sofa, and Rose guided Katie to sit on the sofa in the middle, between herself and Maggie. David and Alan, wishing to be close to the ladies, gently sat on the coffee table, facing the sofa.

Rose hugged Katie to her once more, and said, "Katie, dear, please look at me." Rose had tipped the girl's chin up and turned her head to face her. "David had a brief conversation with Larry this afternoon; Alan and I were both listening. Larry told David that he'd overheard an argument between his parents about you. Something about money. From what he heard, his parents are really your aunt and uncle, not your birth parents." Katie pulled her chin from Rose's grasp and dropped her chin to her chest, stunned by the revelation.

"Kathleen Margaret O'Shea, look at me." Rose gently tugged Katie's face back up to look at her. "You are safe here and always welcome. You now have your very own key to our home. I want you to keep in mind what Alan said not too long ago about how we feel about you."

Katie kept her face turned toward Rose, but could not see anymore. Her parents were not really her parents. In some ways, that explained so much. Then her tears stopped abruptly, like someone turned off the water faucet. Anger quickly began to replace her sorrow.

"But I'm still family! You know, kinfolk." she ground out with her teeth clenched. "Why would they treat me like they've been? Why did no one ever tell me?" Katie's voice was escalating in both tone and volume. "Who else knows about this?"

"Kat," Maggie interjected, trying to calm things down a little, "it seems to me like there are two kinds of families: the ones we're born into and raised in, and the ones we choose to have. We don't have any choice about the one we're born into. Mom, Julie, and I have chosen Alan, Tom, and David to be our blended family, and Pikachu, we choose you." Katie flashed a smile at the reference to Pokémon. Maggie continued," We choose you to be part of our family. Kathleen Margaret O'Shea, will you please be my surrogate sister?"