Synchronicity for Six Pt. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Davey, my love, I'm sorry we didn't have as much time together this weekend as we had hoped," Maggie began.

"It's all right, Maggie, my love, my life. This weekend Katie's needs outweighed ours. It was far more important that we provided the love and support she so desperately needed. On a happier note, I cannot begin to count the number of times I touch my ring and think of you during a week. I cannot truly express how pleased and contented I am that we got these the last time I was home. It makes our physical separation tolerable, at least for me."

"I dream of you every night we're apart, David. And I touch my ring frequently as well. Please drive safely and be sure to let us know when you arrive at school."

They 'sucked face' for a few minutes longer, then David rolled out of the driveway, honked lightly, and headed for school. It was going to be another long two‑week separation, but they would tough it out through their connection via the rings and telephone calls.

​= = =

Tom was pleased that Julie was going to church with him. He was even more surprised and pleased when Dawn and John agreed to go with them as well. The pastor at the Methodist church close to the college campus recognized and greeted Tom and positively beamed when introduced to Julie, Dawn, and John. The pastor greeted them with a special welcome for first‑time visitors that did not infer any guilt. He knew full well that external guilt was often the one thing that came between people and God, and he was not going to be a party to that.

"I know we went out for breakfast yesterday," Dawn began as they left the church, "but I want to buy lunch for us today. Please?"

"What are you thinking, Dawn?" Julie asked.

"A couple of medium pizzas and maybe some beer?"

Tom chuckled and slowly shook his head. "It would be such a college student‑trope to leave church and turn around and buy beer."

"And pizza," John added with a cheeky grin.

"And pizza," Tom agreed. "But we are college students, so why not?"

"If we got large pizzas, we could have that for supper as well," Dawn pointed out.

They got two six‑packs of some good beer at the grocery store and picked up a couple of large pizzas. The afternoon was spent playing Monopoly, chatting, drinking beer, and eating pizza. Tom was the Monopoly champion that day after which Dawn and John returned to their dorm rooms. Julie and Tom took care of the mundane housework before calling it a day and falling asleep, cuddled together.

= = =

Brendan and Michelle O'Shea were already home from church when Katie arrived. They were seated at the dining table and talking when she walked into the house. Katie glared at them, and all they could do was drop their eyes in shame.

She pulled up a chair to the table, facing them, and allowed them to initiate the dialogue.

"Your father is my youngest brother, Patrick," Brendan began. "He had a one‑night stand with a girl, Elizabeth Steele, and nine months later you were born."

"Where are they?" Katie asked.

"Nobody knows. We have tried to keep track of Paddy, but five years ago he totally fell off the map. We don't know if he's even still alive. Lisa was going to abort you, but my parents would not permit that. They took her in and cared for her while she was pregnant. Her parents disowned her and moved away. When you were three days old, she signed over guardianship papers to us, and simply walked away."

"Were they both really young?"

"Paddy was 24, a couple of years out of school. I think Lisa was a senior in college at the time. The whole thing was a huge mess."

"Why did everyone keep this from me?"

"It's not everyone, Katie. It's just us two and my parents ..." Brendan began

"And Larry, your brothers and sister, and their spouses," she snapped back, beginning to get angrier. "Sharon probably knows as well."

"Larry?" Michelle gasped.

"How do you think I found out? From what has been related, he overheard you arguing about me and money a couple of years ago. The question still stands: why keep this from me?"

"When is ever a good time to relate something like that?"

"Might it not have been appropriate to tell me on my 18th birthday?" She just let that question go unanswered. "Okay, so the cat's out of the bag. Why does it seem like I'm now persona non grata around here?"

"You're not ..." Michelle began, but Katie quickly cut her off.

"Come off it, Aunt Michelle! Your attitude towards me has really gone down the tubes since around my birthday back in September. It's gotten a lot worse since the first of the year, too."

"We still love you, Katie," Michelle began, but Katie held up her hand, palm towards her nominal parents.

"I'm calling bullshit on that, Aunt Michelle. A walk-in freezer is warmer than this place has become towards me since Larry left for school. But you need not worry about me; I know just where to warm up. It's all about the money, isn't it?"

Aunt Michelle hung her head, slowly shaking it, but Uncle Brendan looked at me with some fire in his eye.

"Can you handle the truth? Yes, it's about the money. The only reason I agreed to become your guardian was that my parents badgered me and were going to subsidize your expenses. Shortly after you turned 18 last Fall, they both retired and now they can't afford to continue the monthly payments to us. And there's no way we can afford to send you to college. You'll just have to get scholarships and take out loans like other kids." He would have spewed more vitriol, but she stood up.

"Thank you, Uncle Brendan, Aunt Michelle, for the loving environment you have provided for me, out of the goodness of your hearts." She spun and marched purposefully up the stairs to her room.

Katie couldn't cry any more. She felt as though she was totally adrift on a raft in the ocean. She quietly packed all of her clothes into two suitcases. Sadly, every stitch of clothing she owned fit into those two bags. She packed all of her school things into her backpack as well. Then she sat on the edge of the bed, and a couple of tears did trickle down her cheeks. She pulled her phone out and texted Maggie.

"Can I come over for a while before our study session?"

Maggie's answer was nearly instantaneous.

"Absolutely! You are always welcome here, sister. You have a key, remember?"

"I'll be over between 3 and 4," I replied.

Katie then made a backup of her phone's contacts to email, just in case. She looked through the dozen or so photos and decided none were worth keeping. Then she turned off the phone and was going to leave it on the bed, then reconsidered and placed it in her pocket. She did leave her house key on her bed, though, as a sign that she would not be back. It took her two trips to get the three bags of possessions to her car. First was the backpack of schoolwork and her coats and boots near the front door. Then she went back and came down with the two suitcases, one in each hand. Everything she owned was in those bags and backpack. The car was in her name, and the insurance was paid up through April.

Katie stopped in the foyer, set the bags down, and looked into the dining room. Brendan and Michelle were still sitting at the table. It looked like there had been quiet but angry words between them. What followed would not make it any better.

Katie said, "Please thank my grandparents for saving me from being aborted and supporting my childhood. As far as a loving home, I know of a very good one. Please don't worry about me, not that you have all that much. Please do send my birth certificate, a copy of the guardianship papers, and any other related documents care of the Harrisons. They will know how to get them to me. Goodbye, Uncle Brendan, Aunt Michelle."

She put on her heavy coat and hat, picked up the suitcases, and left the house. 'I'm heading home,' she thought and gave a sad smile.

= = =

Since lunch, Alan had been sitting in his favorite chair in the living room with a book open in his lap. Instead of reading, however, he had been considering the looming scenario of what if Katie moved out of the O'Sheas' home, either voluntarily or otherwise? The pieces were all lining up, as though someone wanted things to happen this way. David did not require his room as long as he was living at school; when he was home, he roomed with Maggie. By the time the semester was over, they would hopefully be in a new place with more bedrooms. If Tom and Julie came home for a visit before the move, Maggie could bunk with Katie; if David happened to be home, then someone would have to sleep on the sofa in the living room. Maggie needed Katie as much as Katie needed Maggie. Rose had more than enough love in her heart to spread around. And Katie desperately needed to experience being part of their loving and happy family. It was as much of a no‑brainer as anything could get. All he had to do was go along with it.

It was 3:30 when the key scraped in the lock of the front door, even though it was unlocked.

"Momma, Mags, it's Katie!" she called out after opening the door and stepping inside. The mentioned ladies came quickly down the stairs as Alan stepped out from the living room where he had been reading. Curiously enough, he was the first to pull Katie into a protective and loving embrace. He had been resistant to becoming too familiar with the young lady, but all bets were off now. As had always been his way, he confronted this challenge head‑on.

Maggie and Rose almost collided with Alan and Katie at the bottom of the stairs. It quickly became a massive group hug, and a few more tears were shed although their source was not easily identifiable.

"What's the word, Kat?" Maggie inquired.

"It's a long story not suitable for this place and time, I believe. I do have some of my things I'd like to bring in, though," Katie stated, hesitantly.

"Alan, go fetch Katie's bags, please, and take them ..." Rose began.

"Up to Katie's room; got it. Katie, is your car unlocked?"

"Yes, sir."

Alan looked at her out of the corner of his eye, frowning.

"Yes, Poppa?" she squeaked, smiling shyly.

"Much better." Alan smiled broadly as he put on his coat and headed to Katie's Honda, which was parked on the street in front of the house.

"Is... is it okay if I stay here for a few days?" Katie asked very hesitantly.

"No."

"NO?"

"No, Kathleen Margaret O'Shea, you may not stay here for 'a few days'. You have a key. You may stay as long as you wish to. You may stay with us, just like Maggie or David, until you finish college. You are now part of this family. Am I clear?"

'Y-yes, Momma." Katie fell into Rose's comforting and protective embrace with Maggie gently stroking her back. "Bu-but what about David?"

"What about David?" Maggie asked with her hands on her hips.

"W-where will he sleep?"

"He will sleep where he usually sleeps when he comes home. With me, in my bed."

Katie's eyes bulged at that revelation. She wasn't sure where David had slept last night. She had assumed he was in his room on Friday. She looked at Rose, who nodded in affirmation.

"You and Maggie are both technically adults now, as is David. We won't treat you like children, but we ask for similar consideration. Let someone know if you're going to be out late, offer to clean up if you see the need, and hug someone if they seem sad. Those sorts of things."

"I can do that, Momma." Then she burst into tears yet again.

Alan came in the door with two heavy suitcases in his hands and a backpack over his shoulder.

"Can someone please take the backpack?" he asked, and Maggie jumped forward to take the burden.

"Kat, what do you have in here?" Maggie groaned under the weight.

"Just all my school stuff," Katie explained and took the load from Maggie's hands.

"Would you please follow me?" Alan asked as he mounted the stairs. The four of them proceeded to Katie's new bedroom, where she had slept last night. Alan lugged the suitcases in, set them on the bed, and looked at the closet and dresser. "I guess we need to clear David's things out of here first, though. Did I bring in everything?"

"Yes, Poppa, you did." Katie looked shyly at Alan as she said that. Maggie smiled and Rose looked thoughtful.

"Good. You settle in for a bit. We'll call you for supper."

"Maggie's got a 4 o'clock call with 'the Posse'. I'd like to be included, if I may," Katie requested.

"Feel free to join us as you are able. Dad's right though, Kat. Try to settle in a bit. Here, let me grab these hanging clothes to free up the closet for you," Maggie offered.

While Maggie was transferring the few remaining hanging clothes to her closet, Alan went to the basement to find a couple of boxes to put the rest of David's things into temporary storage. Rose remained with Katie, watching her for signs of distress.

"I know things aren't 'right', yet, but are they 'better'?" Rose asked, gently stroking Katie's raven hair.

Katie leaned into the caresses and hummed. Realizing the question was genuine, she answered, "Yes, Momma, things are better. Thank you. I'm just surprised how much I feel I can love you, and Mags, and even Poppa already. Why do you suppose that is?"

Rose pushed the suitcases a bit so they could sit on the edge of the bed. She pulled Katie to her and considered her response.

"I think, dear girl, that, for so long, you have not had people willing to welcome and respond to your love. Now you do. Until I met Alan at Thanksgiving, I really had no one to share my love with outside of Julie and Maggie. I think the Beatles had it right. 'And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.' It surprises me sometimes how much wisdom there is to be found in the popular media. But you have to pick and choose carefully."

Katie leaned into Rose with a contented sigh, basking in the warm, tactile contact that she had been missing for so long. For her part, Rose had always enjoyed just holding her girls close. Maggie had returned from her room but hovered outside the bedroom door. She heard her mother's words and saw her cuddling with Katie. Jealousy flared in Maggie; Rose was HER mother. Then the gracious nature within her quickly overwhelmed any jealousy she felt. 'The love you take IS equal to the love you make.'

"Hey, that's my Mom you're cuddling with!" Maggie declared with a big smile on her face to contradict any negative feelings.

"Yeah, but she is my Momma!" Katie could dish it out just as well as she received it.

"David's, too," Maggie replied.

"Now girls," Rose began.

"It's good, Mom. We're just teasing each other. But I need to get the video call set up. Shall I save you a seat, Kat?"

"I'll be right behind you, Mags."

Once Maggie had started down the stairs, Katie pulled Rose in tightly.

"Thank you, Momma. Thank you for loving me."

"Oh, Katie dear, you are so very welcome. There's no need to thank me for loving you. You are very easy to love, and you deserve all the love this family can share with you. Never doubt that or your place here, okay?" Rose kissed the end of Katie's nose, then stood to leave. "Oh, and very well done with calling Alan 'poppa'. Maggie has been calling him Dad since Christmas, and I think he's starting to actually enjoy it." Rose gave a wink and headed downstairs, passing Alan on his way back up.

"Would you please just set the boxes on the floor by the door, Poppa? I'll get to it tonight, after supper, but I want to be part of Mags' video call now. Is that okay?"

"Sure, Katie. If you need help, all you have to do is ask."

"Thanks, Poppa!" Katie surprised him with a hug, and then shocked him with a sweet kiss on his cheek. With a little giggle, she pushed past him and headed down to the media room where Maggie was setting up for the video call with her friends. She hoped she would soon be included as one of the girls in 'the Posse'.

The video conferencing app was running when Katie entered the media room. Big smiles appeared in all the windows on the screen and a refrain of, "Hi, Katie!" resounded from Abbie, Donna, and Joy. Maggie patted the sofa right beside her, inviting her surrogate sister to sit, right beside her.

Donna started things with, "So Joy and Katie, how did you do on your Trig test?" Katie let Joy go first, then followed up with, "Maggie's tutoring made a huge difference. I made bonehead errors and only got a 92, but that was a major improvement. I'm confident that the scores will improve for the coming tests." A lot of encouragement from the other girls followed Katie's admission.

"You are applying to go to State in the fall, right, Katie? I mean, 'the Posse' simply has to stay together."

Katie's heart seemed to leap into her throat at Donna's words. She was now considered to be part of 'the Posse'! Unable to speak, Katie simply nodded and smiled. The adage 'be careful what you wish for; you might just get it' came to her mind. For the first time, she felt like she belonged to something larger than just herself.

"I've got to go deal with an issue," Katie said to Maggie, and with her nod, stood and waved at the other three as she exited the room. She found Rose and Alan in the living room, reading. They were both on the sofa, one at either end. Only their feet were touching. But they were actively touching each other. Katie had never seen her aunt and uncle or anyone else in the O'Shea family behave that way. It was a very loving sight that she would remember and later reflect upon.

"Hiya, Katie," Alan called out. Rose turned her head to look at her. It was the expression of unconditional love from Rose that set Katie off once again. Huge tears welled up and flowed down her cheeks. Rose spun her feet off the sofa and stood to catch Katie before she crumpled to the floor. Alan stood and guided the pair back to the sofa while he moved to his chair. Just then Alan's phone chirped with an incoming message from David that he had arrived safely at school.

"I've been expecting this," Rose murmured. "Alan, please go fetch Maggie. She'll want to hear this."

While Alan was retrieving Maggie from the media room, Rose was doing her best to soak up the tears with the tissues handy Then she added more dampness to Katie's face by kissing her cheeks and forehead. Katie's tears stopped flowing right when Alan returned with a very concerned Maggie.

"Okay, dear girl. We're all here for you. Would you please share with us what happened after church?"

Katie recounted from her angry conversation with her aunt and uncle only the information that had not been learned from Larry. She was the result of a one-night stand between her uncle's younger "bad boy" brother and a younger college senior. Their names and ages at the time. The young college senior had been disowned by her parents, who then moved away, and taken in by her father's parents until Maggie was born. No one knew if either of the birth parents were still alive or where they were. That her father's parents had badgered her aunt and uncle to take her as their child. At least to her uncle it was all about the money they received until his parents retired.

Katie concluded her story: "It has been a painful time, but at least I finally knew what happened and why I was treated as I was. More importantly, I was leaving their house where I wasn't wanted anymore, but knew I'm heading home."

It was Katie's final words, "I'm heading home," that reduced Rose and Maggie to tears of their own. It was the ever‑practical Alan who came back with, "There will need to be some administrative changes made; none of which we can do anything about tonight. I'm worn out from all of this, and I'm not the one who has been crying. I don't know how you are even able to stand, Katie."