Synchronicity for Six Pt. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Wow, dude. I didn't realize we were making things tough for you. You've been so accommodating that I guess we kinda started taking advantage of you. Yeah, okay, we can do a schedule," Rob admitted as Mandy nodded.

"Thank you both for being willing to work things out. On the positive side, I'm going home for the weekend on Friday after classes and will be back on Sunday around suppertime. So, you can have the room for the weekend until I get back."

"David, on another subject, could we, like, have some Psych study sessions again?" Mandy asked. "I'm falling behind." Taking Rob's hand in hers, she continued. "With all the time we've been spending together, I've let things slip a bit. We have midterms coming up in a couple of weeks, and they've got me worried. David, can you please help me?"

"Yeah, sure, if it's okay with Rob. Have you started your paper that's due on Thursday?"

"Not yet. I just don't know where to begin," Mandy sighed. Robert's face began to cloud up as he didn't care much for his girlfriend to need his roommate's help.

"Rob, man, I have no designs on your girl, so don't even go there with me. Mine's waiting back home for me." David held up his right hand and spun the ring around his fourth finger. "But you heard her; she's asking me for my help."

= = =

Martha stepped up to the front door of Alan's house and pressed the doorbell. Thirty seconds later, the inner door opened, revealing Katie with a nice smile on her face.

"Come in, Grandma," she chirped as she pushed the storm door open to allow Martha to enter.

When she stepped inside, Martha was surprised to be wrapped up in a hug. Martha was a little uncertain about how she should proceed. She gingerly hugged the girl back. Katie simply held on, squeezing the older woman a little tighter. Martha spied Maggie and Rose standing a short distance away, simply observing. The twinkles in their eyes and the smiles twitching at their lips were evidence of their amusement at Martha's predicament. After a minute, Rose spoke up.

"Welcome to our home, Mother. Come on, Alan's waiting for us, and breakfast will soon be on the table."

At the sound of Rose's voice, Katie let go of Martha, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek. Martha followed after Rose and Maggie in a slight daze, her hand on her cheek where Katie had kissed her. Martha had never in a million years expected this sort of reception from a relative stranger, and her mind was awhirl. Katie trailed after the other three, taking her place between Maggie and Alan on the far side of the table.

Scrambled eggs, sausage links, cinnamon orange rolls, coffee, and juice were all brought out of the kitchen. Maggie gave a soft squeal of delight at the cinnamon orange rolls; they were her absolute favorite. Katie had her OJ, and Alan had his black coffee while the other three made deep inroads into the coffee pot's contents with the aid of some flavored creamers.

"Alan," Martha said between bites, "that Mexican place last night was excellent! The food did not keep me up all night long as some ethnic cuisine has in the past. Thank you again for playing the gracious host for me this week."

Alan frowned slightly at Martha's words, and Rose leaped into the verbal fray.

"We're all so glad you enjoyed the supper, Mother. Alan never 'plays' at being gracious, though. Not ever. You will experience during your visit that is the way he always is. Do you recall our discussion in the Ladies' room? Alan would have done the same thing that young man did and with exactly that little acknowledgment or fanfare."

Chastened, Martha bowed her head and mumbled, "I'm sorry, Alan. I did not mean to offend."

Kindly, Alan smiled and responded, "It's okay, Martha. I'm someone new to you and it can take a little time to become accustomed to each other. Hopefully, the visit over the next couple of weeks will go a long way to rectify that. Please forgive me if I make a misstep with you or Elliot."

"So, Mother, what are your plans or expectations for this week here without Father?" Rose inquired.

"I think I'd like to see this new house you are thinking of buying."

"No, Mother, we ARE buying it. There's no more thinking about it. We have made an offer and it has been accepted, conditional on our getting the loan. Alan, do you suppose we could get Susan to let us back in to show my mother around?"

"Hmmm. I don't know. We could ask. She may be busy today, but perhaps tomorrow after church she might be available and so inclined," Alan answered. "Remember how well it worked out for our last viewing of the place?" Maggie had felt her heart dip at the prospect of another viewing today while was working. Then her spirits soared at Alan's logical words for an after‑worship jaunt to the Millersville Road property.

"I'll call her and ask," Rose decided. "Oh, Magpie, your honey is coming home on Friday. He wanted to meet your grandparents in person. He did say that he would have to work hard to get a paper done a little early, though." A not‑so‑soft squeal of excitement and delight emanated from Maggie, and she raised her arms in victory as she stamped her feet on the floor in her joy.

"Does that mean that Julie and Tom are also coming home?" Alan queried.

"They have not yet confirmed it, but I expect they will."

"Hmmm," was Alan's response as he was thinking about the sleeping arrangements.

"Rose, dear, where is the powder room?" Martha inquired.

"I'll show you, Mother," and the two arose from their seats and stepped down the hall to the door. "Did you leave a trail of breadcrumbs, Mother?" Rose jokingly asked.

Martha snorted in response and closed the powder room door. Rose returned to her seat and looked at Katie.

"Katie, are you okay with Maggie's grandmother being your 'surrogate' grandmother too?" Rose probed.

"I would have thought my greeting of her earlier would have been evidence enough," Katie replied. "Yes, I'm quite okay with having a new grandmother."

"Excellent! Could I please prevail upon you to take Maggie to work this morning while Alan and I continue our discussions with my mother? We won't do anything until you get back, but I feel we both need to be here to talk with her. Don't let Maggie drive on the streets yet, though! She needs her Learner's Permit first."

Simultaneous "Aw, Mom" and "Yes, Momma" escaped the lips of the two 'sisters'. "C'mon, Mags. Let's get you to that slavedriver, Mr. Johnson."

"Is it okay if I leave my plate and cup here, Momma?" Maggie asked, and Rose nodded her acceptance. The girls then headed upstairs for some last‑minute ablutions.

Alan rose and gathered up the plates and cups and was ferrying them to the kitchen while Rose dealt with the food leftovers. Martha emerged and was surprised at the girls' absence as she reached for the pitcher of juice and the nearly‑empty coffee carafe.

"We're off, Momma!" Katie called as she and Maggie egressed through the front door. "Back as soon as I can."

"I'd like to know more about how Katie has come to live with you," Martha said. "How about some more coffee?"

"Would you like to sit here at the kitchen table, or in the living room where it's much more comfortable?" Alan asked.

"I prefer 'comfortable', Alan," Martha responded.

"Okay. I'll get another pot going and bring it in when it finishes brewing. Take your coffee mugs with you, though."

= = =

"Are you going to ask Mr. Johnson for next Saturday off from work?" Katie asked Maggie while they were driving Maggie to her work.

"I've been thinking about that ever since Momma told me that David would be home next weekend. We'll have Friday night, Saturday once I get off of work, and Sunday until he has to return to school. He needs some time with Grandma and Grandpa, so I think I'm just going to keep to my current schedule. I'll get him to chauffeur me around, though," Maggie giggled.

"Of course, you will." Katie was still rather wistful of Maggie for having landed David.

"But I already have that Tuesday off when the three of us, David, you, and I, go to State to have our personalized campus tours from Tom and Jules. I just need to ask to shift my February day off to March 27th."

"Oh! That makes good sense. Good thinking, Magpie. Well, here we are. I'll be back around 4:30, okay?"

= = =

"Mr. Johnson?" Maggie asked shortly after the store opened on Saturday morning.

"Yes, Maggie?"

"Could I please trade my day off this month for an extra day in March?"

"Hmmm?" Jack Johnson looked at Maggie quizzically.

Maggie pulled the calendar off the wall and laid it out on the display case.

"David comes home for his Spring Break, here," and she pointed to March 26, "and I've requested Tuesday the 30th off as my one day off in March. We're heading to Springfield to stay a few days with Tom and Julie and get a feel for the campus at State, where we'll be attending classes next fall."

"Continue," Jack prompted when Maggie paused for a breath.

"It would be very helpful if we could go on Saturday the 27th. I'll be here, bright and early, on the 31st." Jack thought for a moment, then decided.

"You are giving me a lot of lead time with this request, Maggie, and I truly appreciate it. I'm sure I can arrange for someone to cover in your absence. You and Katie helped us to have an excellent Valentine's Day promotion. I wonder if she would like to try to fill in for you?" Jack pondered to himself, albeit aloud.

"I'm sorry, Jack, but she's coming with us, too." Maggie gave him a sad smile of apology. "I know that she enjoyed the two days she helped us. I'm confident she would like the opportunity to learn more and be helpful again, just not those days."

Jack smiled at Maggie's sincerity.

"Well, then, if that's the case, we'll just have to shift someone over from the other store for that Saturday and Tuesday. Thank you again for giving me time to arrange this." With that, Jack returned the calendar to the wall behind the counter and went to his office, leaving Maggie to tend to the showroom.

= = =

Alan entered the living room and poured each woman a fresh mug of coffee, leaving room for their creamer. He poured his own mug full, set the pot on a trivet on the coffee table, and settled into his recliner.

"Alrighty, then," Martha began. "I want to know what's going on with young Katie. To say I was surprised at my reception by her this morning would be to grossly understate things. When we spoke on Wednesday, you said we needed to discuss Katie in person, so what can you tell me?"

Rose looked at Alan, who sat forward in his chair and began.

"Katie is the youngest of the O'Shea family here in Middleburg. Larry O'Shea, Katie's older brother, is a good friend of David's. Both Katie and Maggie needed a new friend, and they met at church. They have developed an almost sister‑like bond. With their birthdays being just a day apart and their names mirroring," and Martha nodded in recollection, "they just sort of fell into a new friendship.

"We recently discovered that Katie is not the daughter of Brendan and Michelle O'Shea, who everyone thought were her parents. She's actually their niece; Brendan's brother's love child. Her paternal grandparents are devoutly Catholic and completely opposed to abortion. They had been subsidizing Brendan and Michelle to raise her. All that ended shortly after Katie turned 18 back in September.

"She had been borderline emotionally abused by her uncle and aunt; no, that's not quite right. They had been practically ignoring the girl since September and it was starting to impact her grades. With both David and Tom away at college, we had the extra bedroom, so we opened our door and our hearts and took her in."

Rose then gave some specifics about Katie's situation that Alan was not previously aware of. Martha's hand flew to her mouth in shock as Rose related how stunningly indifferent Brendan and Michelle had become towards Katie.

"But ... but ... that can't be the same girl who welcomed me this morning?" Martha stammered.

Rose picked up the narrative: "Katie has blossomed in the two weeks she's been living with us. She's resilient. All she wanted and needed was genuine love and caring, to feel wanted and valued. It seems like the affection we have around here is infectious. She doesn't just call us 'Momma' and 'Poppa'; she treats us as her parents."

Alan nodded at his fiancée's words. "I would have repaid my parents incredibly poorly if I had not opened our home and our hearts to that young lady," he added.

"I feel ashamed of how I reacted initially. I had no idea." Martha bit her lip and said, "I owe her an apology."

"From what I saw this morning, Mother, I don't think she feels that you owe her anything. I'm confident that she will tell you as much, but don't let me stand in your way of doing what you feel is right."

"But what can I do?" Martha plaintively asked.

"Just love her, Mom. Just love her like you do Julie and Maggie. Accept her as part of our family, as we have."

= = =

Katie walked in the door and stood listening to Martha talking about her with Rose and Alan. Katie had not been particularly noisy when opening the door, so she quietly shut the front door and hung about the opening to the living room for a few minutes.

"Rose, what are you two going to do about college for Katie?" Martha inquired.

"She's scheduled to take the ACT exam in a couple of weeks. We all hope that she will be accepted at State and will join Maggie there. David's applied to transfer there in the fall as well. How her schooling will be paid for is still a discussion for us all, once the road ahead gets mapped out a bit more clearly," Rose declared.

"One way or another," Alan added, "she will attend college if she wishes. We'll make sure that happens."

Katie's heart leaped at her "parents'" words. She felt a bit of her tension ease; a tension that she was unaware she had been holding onto. They didn't have all the answers yet but there was a strong sense of love and promise in the words she overheard.

"Come and join us, please, Katie," she heard Alan call out.

Martha and Rose looked at him in astonishment as Katie edged into the room and made her way to stand before the ladies seated on the sofa.

"How did you know ..." Martha began; Alan just smiled at her.

"I simply pay attention, Martha. I heard the front door open and then close quietly. I knew, timewise, that it should have been Katie returning from chauffeuring Maggie to work," he explained. "The flash of black hair confirmed my belief."

A wry smile crossed Martha's lips and she nodded her acceptance of his explanation. She scooted toward the arm of the couch to make room for Katie to sit between her and Rose. Rose scooted toward the other arm, giving Katie lots of room to sit and pull her feet up under her. Martha quickly took advantage of Katie's proximity and pulled her into a hug with a kiss on the top of the girl's head.

"I have to apologize to you, Katie."

"For what, Gramma?"

Martha could not believe how her heart thumped at Katie's accepting words. Tears sprang to the older woman's eyes and she struggled to state what was on her mind.

"I'm sorry for not embracing you as openly and lovingly as you have embraced me. You're not of my blood, but you are now my kin; now and forever."

= = =

Helen awoke in Steve's arms on Saturday morning. She could hear the kids watching their Saturday morning cartoons. She knew they had probably fixed themselves each a bowl of cereal and were happily ensconced in front of the TV.

She and Steve had stayed up a bit later than usual for a Friday night. It wasn't that there was a whole lot to discuss about the house rental offer, though. She never would have dreamed that anybody would offer her so much money to rent her parents' place in Middleburg. She had never even seriously considered the possibility. She had been too stressed out with trying to settle her parents' estate. Then, in the midst of that, the lawyer just stopped communicating. Compounding those stressors, there was the drama and budgetary pain of Steve being laid off. The stress on the two was increasing daily! But now, two 'angels' had swooped in and were making things so much more hopeful for her and her family.

No, they had not been discussing the lease agreement much after the first fifteen minutes. Steve's mouth had been full of her breasts carrying on a much more pleasant conversation. Which continued when he went down on her neglected peach. She had no breath left with which to converse herself. They truly loved each other despite the financial troubles they had become enmeshed in. But the clouds of their troubles were beginning to part and sunshine was peeking through off to the West. The promise of a brighter future for the four of them made the present situation tolerable.

They had to send back the signed lease agreement before anything else could happen. That was the first thing they needed to do that day. Well, maybe the second or third thing. Steve's morning wood pressing into her panty‑covered ass was the first thing that needed resolution.

= = =

Katie had finally gotten Martha to let go of her, and she stood before Alan, who was still seated in his recliner.

"Poppa? Would you please help me do some review for the ACT? It's two weeks away now, and Maggie's done great things to get me caught up with the evil Trigonometry. But I need to ramp up the other subjects' reviews. We bought a study guide a couple of weeks ago, but I really need your help in getting going. Please?"

"Oh, God! Thank you for not blessing me with girls any sooner than this," Alan reflected to himself. "I never would have made it out alive if they'd come into my life any earlier."

"Of course, Katie, I'd be happy to help. Go get your book, a notepad, and a pen or pencil, then meet me at the dining table, okay?"

With a small squeal of delight, Katie danced out of the living room and dashed up the stairs to her room to find the things she needed.

With Alan and Katie at the dining table, Rose and Martha were somewhat at loose ends. They remained comfortably in the living room and refreshed their coffee mugs.

"So, Mother, what would you like to do for the rest of today until Maggie comes home from work just before five o'clock?" Rose asked.

"Don't you need to contact your realtor friend this morning about us getting inside the new place tomorrow?"

"Ooh, yes, I do. Thank you for reminding me, Mother."

"You're welcome, Rose. I think I'd like you to show me around Middleburg for a while, and then we could get some lunch. I'd love to see where all three of you work as well as what kinds of shopping and entertainment are available."

"Let me call Susan and get things scheduled for after church tomorrow, and then we can head out."

Rose called Susan but had to leave a voicemail, asking Susan to call her back.

"Alan, Mother wanted to see some of the features of Middleburg, including where Maggie, you, and I work. Do you want to come with?" Rose inquired.

Katie looked up at Alan, her eyes pleading for him to stay home to help her.

"Thank you, dear, but I think that Katie needs my help here. Besides, you both need some one‑on‑one time with each other. Go out and enjoy the late winter day. It won't be particularly warm or cold, but the sun is shining, so that should be pleasant."

Katie relaxed at Alan's reassuring words and mouthed, "Thank you, Poppa" at Alan.

"Okay, then, we'll just have the day to ourselves," Rose responded. "We'll be back here for supper. The menu plan is for spaghetti, a green vegetable, and garlic bread."

Katie turned her head to look over her right shoulder and volunteered, "We'll take care of it, Momma." Rose's eyes widened slightly and a broad smile quickly crossed her face. "Thanks, sweetie. We'll be back sometime." Martha noted how Katie had reacted like a dutiful child should; the girl was decidedly family.