Synchronicity for Six Pt. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Be safe, my love," cautioned Alan. He turned his attention back to the study guide until Rose's fingers grasped his chin and turned his head to meet her lips.

"Goodbye, my love. We'll be safe."

With those parting words, Rose and Martha left to explore Middleburg.

= = =

It had been a very quiet morning for Maggie since the store had opened, once she had gotten things squared away with Jack about her desired time off in March. She had cleaned, straightened, and dusted everything in reach in the showroom.

She was perched on a stool in a corner behind the display cases, dreaming of David and spinning the ring around on her right ring finger when the door chime sounded. She roused from her reverie as her mother and grandmother walked in. She automatically recited her standard greeting of, "Welcome to Johnson's Jewelers. Thank you for coming in," before she realized who had entered the store.

"Grandma! Momma! What are you doing here?"

"Well, I thought we'd see where my granddaughter was working," Martha answered. "But, if you'd rather, we can go elsewhere ..."

"No, no! Please stay!" She turned to call out to the back, "Mr. Johnson, could you please come out here for a moment to meet my grandmother?"

A moment later, Jack appeared in the showroom doorway with a broad smile on his face. He strode forward to take Martha's proffered hand in his.

"Mother, this is Jack Johnson, the owner of this store and several others. Jack, this is my mother, Martha Reynolds," Rose said, introducing the two.

"Mrs. Reynolds, it's a pleasure to meet you. I can see where Rose comes by her good looks," Jack said smoothly.

"Thank you, kind sir," Martha replied. "We thought we'd stop by so I could see where my granddaughter is working since she's no longer attending high school." She looked around, approvingly, and added, "You have a very nice store here, Mr. Johnson. I think this is going to be a great experience for Maggie. We don't mean to take up much of your valuable time, so thank you for coming out to meet me."

"Will you be joining us for worship in the morning?" Jack inquired.

"We discussed the possibility this morning, but we haven't formally decided."

"I'll be sure that my wife, Maeve, saves some conversation time with you tomorrow, Mrs. Reynolds."

"I look forward to that, but please call me Martha," Martha replied.

"Only if you call me Jack," he dovetailed to her comment.

Maggie stood there, goggling slightly at this side of Jack she had never seen. Rose had narrowed her eyes and was gently tugging on Martha's elbow. "Come along, Mother, we still have places to see."

"Where are you going, Mom?" Maggie asked.

"Your grandmother wanted to see where we all work, and she wanted to look around Middleburg while she was here. We'll have lunch out and see you at home for supper, Magpie."

"Okay, bye, Mom. Bye, Grandma."

"It was a pleasure to meet you, Jack. Do take care of my granddaughter, will you?" Martha said in parting.

"It is my honor and pleasure to do so, Martha. I hope to see you tomorrow," Jack said as the women exited the store. Martha gave him a little wave as the door closed behind them.

Rose was practically livid at what she perceived as her mother's flirtatious behavior.

Once they were inside Rose's car, Rose let Martha have a piece of her mind.

"Mother! I can't believe you!"

"You can't believe what, Rosalie?"

"Your behavior towards Jack, that's what! I'm surprised you didn't bat your eyes and giggle when he took your proffered hand. What are you playing at?" Rose's volume was increasing with every sentence.

"What was wrong with how I behaved? It surely would have passed the husband test, at least your father's test," Martha hinted at her internal issue.

"Jack's wife, Maeve, is one of my closest friends here in Middleburg. She's one of the movers and shakers in both the church and the community. The two of them treat my daughters like granddaughters they never had. They gave the girls "granddaughter" gifts at Christmas. Now that Katie has joined our family, they treat her like a granddaughter as well. I saw that glint in your eye. Do not do anything to jeopardize my friendships or my five children, Mother!"

"Well, I, for one, am glad you think I could be attractive to another man," Martha said with a grin twitching at the corners of her mouth. "I wish your father had the same perception."

"MOTHER!"

"Time's­‑a‑wasting, Rose. Why don't you drive us to your office?"

"We're not done with this topic, Mother."

"For now, we are; I just changed the subject. Come on, sweetheart, just let it rest a bit. All will become evident with the fullness of time. Now, tell me about this credit union of yours as we drive there."

= = =

"Mr. Johnson, were you flirting with my grandmother?" Maggie asked once Rose and Martha had pulled out of the parking spot in front of the store.

"Me? Flirting with your grandmother? Heavens, no, Maggie! People of a certain age, like Maeve and myself, and your grandmother, tend to have disposable income and some of them appreciate fine jewelry. I was simply trying to be charming in the hopes that she might choose to put some of that disposable income into our cash register someday. Being kind costs nothing and can often have both short- and long‑term payoffs. The jewelry and its price are important, but so is how the customer feels about the shopping experience. Like how Katie served as the hostess for the two Valentine's Day sales Saturdays were important. I'm sure your grandmother now has an even better impression of this store and the people who run it, namely you and me."

"Oh. I'm sorry if I got the wrong impression." Surprising him, she wrapped him in a hug, turning her face against his chest and tucking her head under his chin. She whispered, just to herself she thought, "I love you, Jack."

"That's quite all right, Maggie. I'm committed to Maeve. We made promises long ago, to each other and God, in front of a lot of people. Promises we will keep until death claims us." He gave her a quick hug in return and kissed the top of her head, whispering, "I love you too, Margaret."

= = =

Martha smoothly redirected Rose's attention to tell her about the AgCU, its members, and its staff. Martha snorted in amusement when Rose related that the two primary directors were men named Donald Masters and Michael Johnson; Martha got the joke right away. Soon, Rose pulled up in front of the building and parked in her reserved space.

"Why is your space so far down the sidewalk from the main door, Rose?" Martha inquired.

"Two very good reasons. One, per federal guidelines and laws, we have to have a certain number of handicapped accessible spaces near the door; and two, because we're all about our members, not our management. When I started here in early January, the reserved spaces were much closer to the main doors. I had to hold up a mirror to Don and Mike to get them to realize that without our members, we were nothing. Besides, this way they get a few extra steps in every day."

"That's very insightful of you, dear. Is Alan aware of this achievement?"

"It's not an achievement, Mother. It's a little thing and not very noteworthy. No, I have not shared this with anyone at home or at church."

"I'll wager a few of your members have noticed it. You were always very good with people, Rose."

"Thank you, Mother. I did have one encounter early on that drives home the lesson about the members." Rose then related the story about Mr. Riley and the loan approval incident.

Martha guffawed at the phrase, 'Naggie Maggie'. "God, I hope you haven't mentioned that to your daughter."

"No, Alan and I try to leave work stuff at work and not take it home," Rose explained. "I'm getting hungry. Would you like to get some lunch before we continue our tour of Middleburg?"

They opted for Subway where they both could get customized salads and pricey bottles of water that are less pure than what comes out of the tap. Martha kept her mouth full so she could neither ask nor answer any questions Rose might pose.

"Where to next, Rose?" Martha asked once they were back in the Subaru.

"Alan's workplace is on the south side of town. I'd like to drive past the house we're buying on our way. I know we're hoping to get to see the inside tomorrow, if Susan ever calls me back. But I'd like your opinion, Mother."

"You're driving, dear. Let's go see what we can of your future home."

Rose pulled into the gravel driveway and shut off the car. Martha just sat there for a few moments, taking it all in.

"Isn't this going to be a little big for just the two of you?" she asked.

"Perhaps a little if it were just Alan and myself, but the kids are going to be in and out for the next several years. Maggie and Katie have at least four years of college ahead of them, and by then, who knows? The patter of visiting little feet may be in our future. There's simply no way we can fit seven people, or eight if Katie brings home a boyfriend, comfortably in Alan's house. Also, there's no room for company to come and stay in his house. Come along, Mother, and let me show you the part of the property that Alan likes the most."

They got out of Rose's car and headed up the front steps to the wide porch along the front and one of the sides of the house. Martha's smile grew with every step.

"Oh, my," she declared. "This is a fabulous porch. I can imagine enjoying the shade and a breeze on a warm summer evening."

"Yes, we hope to spend quite a bit of time relaxing out here. But this is not what I wanted to show you. We'll see the inside tomorrow, if Susan will ever call me back to confirm. Speaking of which," as Rose's phone rang.

"Hello, Susan. ... Yes, I'd like to show my mother around inside tomorrow afternoon, if possible. ... Oh, they did? No, I've been showing my mother around Middleburg since mid‑morning and I haven't been able to check it. ... I'll look once we get back home. ... So, can we impose on you once more to allow us inside the house?... That'd be wonderful!... Okay, until tomorrow morning then. Thank you, Susan!"

Rose placed her phone back into her purse with a huge smile on her face.

"Yes, Susan will come out here with us tomorrow after church worship so you can see the inside of the house and the apartment over the garage. Come, I want to show you Alan's favorite thing about this place."

Rose led Martha around to the back of the house. Rose took a few steps before she realized that her mother had stopped and had been left behind. Rose turned around to see her mother with her jaw dropped, her mouth agape, and her eyes very wide.

The yard dropped gently from the house down to the pond. The neatly planted grove of leafless trees was off to the left of the pond. To Rose's mind, there was no longer anything jaw‑dropping about the sight. She walked back to her mother who had closed her mouth and was slowly turning her head from side to side, absorbing the panorama before her.

"What is it, Mother?"

"I have a great idea! This would be the perfect place to have your wedding!"

"Whatever are you talking about, Mother?" Rose inquired.

"Your wedding to Alan. Have it out here, down by that pond." Martha's eyes were glowing with excitement, imagining how it all could be laid out. Rose and Ron had thwarted that dream of every Mother‑of‑the‑Bride (MotB) when they eloped. Now Martha could scratch that long‑dormant itch that had re‑emerged with a vengeance.

Ever since her first visit to the property, Rose had considered having the wedding in the backyard. She had never discussed it with Alan, though. If it gave her mother such pleasure to "have come up with the idea" and help plan the wedding, then Rose would keep her mouth shut. She needed to get the girls and Alan on board with this little bit of subterfuge. But no one would be hurt by letting Martha think she had come up with the idea all by herself. Besides, this way her parents could contribute to the expense to their hearts' delight. Rose reflected on Alan's words about getting her parents to think the idea was theirs in the first place.

"So, Mother, it's getting a little chilly. Shall we resume our journey to see where Alan works and then see other places of interest in Middleburg?"

"I agree, Rose. I'm feeling the chill myself. I don't need to see an office park, and I'm not really excited about driving around town today. Perhaps Maggie and I can do some of that on Monday, just have a girls' day out. I would like to go warm up by that fireplace in your home. We could get a couple of lists going with ideas about this wedding of yours."

"Sure thing, Mother. If that makes you happy, I'm all for it."

= = =

END OF Synchronicity For Six, Part 12