Tales from the Goddess War Ch. 05: Matriarch

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"...and we were nowhere near the coast, let alone a consecrated temple so it wasn't even a choice. So, I must follow the full path from the beginning. We've gotten as far as the Gwiddha of the Blood Moon Passing into Sun's Contemplation of Quiet Water when the Goat's Moon occludes the top third of the Northern Hawse. You know, there is this commentary written by Cejum Orpharides. He uses the birth of that very moment as allegorical construct, a metaphor if you will, to discuss the organization of courtly affairs..."

The courtier's eyes were becoming glassy as Twyla kept talking. "Yes, that's enough," she interrupted when Twyla paused for breath. "As for that commentator, reliance upon the conclusions of Cejum Orpharides is unwise. He is not well regarded."

Twyla smiled, sensing another scholar. "Oh, I know! Bemere despises him and she's his niece!"

Bemere had only been half-paying attention, but as Gwyenth's face froze again, she realized what Twyla had just said. A sick heaviness in her chest joined the other unpleasantness in her gut as whispers of her family's ancestral name echoed and repeated through the chamber. She vowed to someday paddle Madeline's ass for giving Twyla that book of nonsense, after she somehow paddled her own for mentioning anything about the old drunk or that thrice-damned book to the knowledge-hungry maestra.

On the dais, the Dark Elf nodded at Khivu and stepped back into the group. Mercifully, Khivu hadn't caught what she'd said, or more likely, saw it as garrulous chatter from an overactive Human mouth.

"Thank you, Twyla ap Tur," Khivu said. "War-Chief Ulan, are you present?"

An imposing Plaflakhi strode from the crowd immediately. "I am, matriarch. How may I serve?

"Are the records of our captured prizes complete? Do they reveal a medallion from the Pale College?"

"They are complete, Khivu and no such medallion was recorded. It would have been brought to your attention immediately."

"Was this Human taken captive by your soldiers?"

"This requires some study to answer as fact, but I think that she is not. Word was given that least harm be inflicted, and we serve Law joyfully." The large man looked at Raist for a moment. "Even the worst of my soldiers would not attack from ambush, nor treat our captives so badly. That is not Law."

Raist cleared his throat. "War-Chief, have you ever missed an item in your records? That is to say, even the tiniest sequin?"

The giant looked down at him, expressionless. "Mistakes rarely happen."

Raist nodded, trying to appear sympathetic rather than condescending. "But they do happen. "

He turned his back on the Plafalkhi, stalking back to the middle of the cleared area, shaking his head like a weary school-master. "There is Law. Law requires proof. Proof requires exact records. There can be no proof here."

"Then how did you come by that medallion, Law Reader?" Khivu asked.

With a wide manic grin, Raist spread his arms wide. "Matriarch, I admit that I do not quite remember. I was in the portal observing the prisoners, it may have been left on the table for me, it may have been placed in my hand, I simply do not recall. Even the Champions of Law have lapses as we have just heard!"

He clapped his hands together when there was no answer. "Dearest Matriarch, as your Law Reader I must point out that in spite of its unknown provenance, the Human has already admitted that it belongs to her. A mage of the Pale College, a destroyer of stone!"

"Still not that kind of maestra," Twyla grumbled under her breath.

"Khivu Ataphalis, is there any question here? The destroyer reveals what it is and has named its accomplice. And history shows us well the Silver moon-sluts and their arrogance and depravity. Now they dare to bring this blathering weapon to this very chamber!

"I served the matriarch before you and I offer all respect to her replacement, but this is no longer a matter that requires your judgement. We will make the weapon silent and imprison the whore. Both may serve as your hosts for many generations of noble chikkur!"

"You brought this matter before me," Khivu said flatly. "I will not be dismissed when you decide that I am no longer needed, advisor. Twyla ap Tur, shall we recognize you as Maestra?"

Twyla was startled by the question. "No, I do not represent the college here, no matter what the angry man says. Anyway, I'm barely a maestra."

"They are guilty!" Raist shrieked, the sound clawing at Bemere's ears as it spread. "Do you understand the word? This judgement is a poor echo of the wisdom of Eikh! You may not..."

"You have begun to repeat yourself, Law Reader," Khivu said, her voice easily overcoming his shrieks. "Others may speak."

The Aphostic elf threw up his hands and left the center, grimacing and shaking his head at the crowd. Khivu waited until the sound of the crowd began to soften before she spoke.

"Twyla ap Tur, thank you for your patience and candor. I have only one question more; where is the border with the Grassland Empire?"

Twyla looked blank. "Which direction? I'm sorry, I don't have a clue without the Hawses to guide me."

"No matter. Tell me instead about this river where you left your friends. Is that the border of their empire?"

"No, I think that's the edge of the northern highlands. But when I asked the sergeant, he said that the land is mostly empty. Anyway, the Grassland Empire starts at the Grand Canal and that is a long way toward the South Hawse. We were already north of the canal when we set out and it took several days to ride this far north."

"I see. Thank you for your counsel, maestra."

There was a stir from the crowd and Bemere looked over her shoulder to see Inzya emerge, followed by other Law Wives, all of them carrying packages.

"What is all this?" Khivu asked brightly. "No, not a word from you, Raist. I am quite curious to see what the Law Wives have brought for us."

Without a word, Inzya produced a battered surcoat in the grey and silver Plenilune colors. One of her sisters unfolded a cloth and Inzya laid the surcoat on it carefully, almost reverentially. The others unwrapped the rest of what they had found, remains of the horse caparisons, and finally the baggage. The chamber had become completely silent.

"I am shaken with new grief," Khivu said as they withdrew. "The burrow our mothers have built has become a hole full of degenerate vermin and Law has abandoned us."

"Matriarch!" the War-Chief exclaimed. "Where my people are, there too comes Law. We have never abandoned our vows!"

Raist made a show of inspecting all of the evidence and waved his hand in dismissal.

"Matriarch, these are easily detected fakeries," he sneered. "But, at your word, I will tirelessly root out..."

The Dark elf was interrupted by more of the Law Wives shoving through the crowd, this time leading two Dark elves whose thumbs were bound together behind them. Raist opened his mouth twice without any words coming out. Then, he screamed a curse, drawing a blade to charge at Bemere.

Bemere stepped in front of Twyla again, grabbing for her blade. From the corner of her eye, she saw Anniak leap from the top of the dais, hands flashing out, before she landed in a predatory crouch shielding Bemere. Raist's shriek had trailed off and he stumbled to a halt, looking at a pair of feathered darts jabbing into his side. He snarled incoherently at Anniak as he collapsed, almost at her feet. The silence in the chamber began to echo with tense whispering.

"Nothing to fret about, brothers and sisters," Anniak said cheerfully, facing the chamber. "My brother here is prone to his little fits. Ease your worry, he's been like this since we were children. He'll be fine after a little rest."

One of the guards stepped forward to pick up Raist. The Dark elf's head lolled like he was asleep, although his eyes were open and blazing with hatred. Anniak turned and retrieved the medallion from where Raist had dropped it. She walked back to stand in front of Raist before examining it closely. After too long of a pause, she looked up at Raist.

"Thief," she said, putting more contempt into the word than Bemere thought possible. Then she went to Twyla and bowed deeply before offering it to her.

"Our deepest apologies, Twyla ap Tur."

"Why are you all so pretty?" Twyla whispered as she took it.

Anniak smiled and winked before turning and prostrating herself at the base of the dais.

"Khivu Ataphalis, my beloved matriarch, I have committed violence in your chamber."

"Your actions were rash, and violence within this place must be harshly punished," Khivu agreed, voice pleasant again.

"I freely place myself at your mercy without reservation," Anniak replied, face still hidden.

"To offend Law is a serious offense. Let your punishment fit your crime; from this moment, you shall listen carefully to Law and Think alike. You are charged to listen well and bring me the wisdom they whisper. And you will swear your loyalty to your matriarch."

"Khivu Ataphalis, I swear that my life will be spent in service to Law and Think as they bless your household and burrow," Anniak said. "I call to Pera Sonbro, Father of Darkness and ask him to witness my allegiance. May my Lord cast me into the fires should I ever break my vow."

"Take your place beside me," Khivu said.

"You are most benevolent." Anniak rose gracefully to her feet and took her place beside the matriarch.

Khivu gestured and Raist was held up in front of her, head still lolling.

"Mercy must have limits," Khivu's voice echoed through the chamber, drowning everything else out as she stood. "Raist, for too long you have attempted to set a fire in my burrow. Fire that would spread flames across Allworld, even as it consumed your own kin and kind, those that sheltered and fed you.

"Understone, hear my judgement! This one's name, property, and titles are forfeit, never to be restored. I rename you Thief and a traitor to Law. In time, I can only hope that your sick hatred will disappear as you serve my personal household."

Raist's eyes had just enough time to go wide before the guard dragged him behind the dais to a collective sigh of relief. The rest of Khivu's guard immediately followed them and Bemere suddenly realized who they'd been protecting the matriarch from.

"Serah Bemere, and Maestra Twyla ap Tur, I deeply regret all of this unseemly behavior. You have my gratitude, and the gratitude of my burrow, for revealing the sickness that lurked among us. We are in your debt."

"I hope he feels better," Twyla said.

"We'll do our very best to keep him amused and occupied, maestra," Khivu assured her. "Now, the rest of you, my beloved and treasured family, you now see that there are thieves and traitors in our midst. With that knowledge, where do you stand? If your heart has any reservations about allegiance to this burrow, leave now and depart peacefully from our halls. We are no longer your kin, and this is not your home."

The entire audience began to crowd closer to the dais, laying face down. As they began the oath, Bemere and Twyla stood out of the way and Gwyenth and Kaylie joined them. The golden-haired elf put an arm around Bemere's shoulders, surprising her.

"The Mother of Trees showed me great favor when she sent you here."

"If only she had shown such favor to my innards," Bemere replied quietly. "Do you think that the new, very dangerous, Reader of Law has anything up her sleeve for my stomach?"

"I'll go ask her," Kaylie said.

A few hours later, her stomach much closer to normal, and a borrowed mask covering her nose and mouth, Bemere stood with the other Witnesses and several courtiers in a small side chamber. There was silence as Raist was half led, half carried by a soldier. Two of the courtiers took charge of him, putting him face down over a large cushion. He examined the cushion idly as Khivu Ataphalis entered the chamber. She had removed the chainmail and ornaments and Bemere could see that her torso went to where her own hips were. She did not seem to have breasts, but her body was undeniably feminine.

Anniak entered the chamber behind Khivu, carrying a small tray that she handed to one of the courtiers. She took a stone bottle from it and gracefully knelt below the matriarch. A thick member slid out of the bottom of the spiderlike portion of her body and Anniak poured oil in her hands before sliding them from base to tip, drawing a quiet moan from Khivu. Anniak stood and walked in front of her brother, her look of tenderness gone from her face.

"Prepare yourself, Thief," she said.

Raist looked up at her and smiled placidly. Khivu moved to stand over him, holding him tightly with her forelegs. She lowered herself slowly, folding her legs, pair by pair, to lower herself on top of him. Her organ seemed to be able to move on its own, but two courtiers appeared on either side of the prisoner and guided it between the cheeks of Raist's bottom. The matriarch eased her body forward and Raist clutched the cushion, groaning as the thick tube entered his anus. Khivu's ovipositor flexed as an egg was deposited deep inside Raist. Judging from the sounds he was making, the former Law Reader approved.

As soon as the egg was placed, Khivu immediately rose to her feet. "Take this one away. He is filth, I do not wish to see him again."

Raist was helped to his feet, and despite the matriarch's tone, they were gentle enough handing him off to another pair of courtiers that took him through a doorway.

Khivu beckoned Anniak close and bent over to speak quietly to her. Anniak nodded and took a cloth from somewhere and gently, but thoroughly cleaned Khivu's member. She reapplied the oil and kissed the tip before standing again. Khivu caressed her in return as she waited for the next host.

The woman, a tough looking redhead, was led in. Several tattoos adorned scars of different ages all over her body.

"Thank you for this, Lady," the woman said to Khivu, tears streaming down her face.

"I don't know what happened...thank you for your gift of atonement."

Khivu put a hand on her head for a moment and Bemere sensed a glyph being cast. The woman looked relieved as they arranged her on the cushion and as Khivu lowered herself, the scarred redhead spread her legs wide and lifted her hips. The attendant guided the member against the woman's anus. She grunted softly as Khivu pushed inside. Unlike Raist, Khivu took her time and seemed to take pleasure from the implanting. The woman beneath her squirmed, hands pushing her body back against Khivu's. Again, they saw the bulge as an egg was delivered and the woman orgasmed loudly as it passed inside her. Khivu withdrew and the woman bowed deeply once more before she was led away.

"Atonement comes in many forms," Kaylie murmured.

The next host was a younger brunette without the pallor of the other woman. Bemere noticed that she didn't show any grief, just eagerness as the attendants put her in position. She was very vocal about her approval as Khivu seeded her. Bemere saw that her thighs were wet as she was helped up and led away.

"That one was rather enthusiastic in her atonement," Gwyenth said.

"A lover of justice without a doubt," Kaylie added. "Is the mask working, Bemere? You're breathing a little fast."

"The mask is most welcome, my thanks again," Bemere muttered. "And yes, I'm panting like a bitch in heat. I did not expect this to be remotely arousing."

The other two laughed as there was more applause for the next participant. Anniak met her eyes as she stood next to Khivu. There was a small smile on her face and Bemere knew the Aphostic elf was thinking about her situation. It was a little annoying but Bemere figured that she could appreciate all their amusement once she had been reunited with her pegos. For now, however, she had to stand and watch this carnal exhibition, helplessly getting wetter and wetter as she watched.

Once the implantation of the new chikkur was finally completed, Anniak led Bemere and the Witnesses to the chambers where Twyla had been taken to sleep off the effects of the various potions.

As she entered the chamber, Bemere's breath was taken away by the beauty of the space. The main chamber was an oval with several large pools connected by small waterfalls. The warm water steamed gently as it cascaded from pool to pool. It was comfortably warm and lit by a golden glow provided by luminescent mosses on the walls and ceiling.

Following the sound of deep laughter, Bemere and Anniak stepped down one of the side passages that ended in an alcove lined with springy moss. Inside, Gruni, the Plafakhi woman that had guided Bemere earlier, was sitting against the wall while Twyla sprawled out on cushions opposite her.

"Then may I rearrange the pillows, gentle giant?" Twyla asked.

"Hmm, I think not, tiny woman. I have the suspicion that you are plotting to get away from my sight."

Twyla laughed. "What if I tied the pillows to my feet?"

"And how is this any different than making a path with the cushions?"

"Well, less work for one," Twyla laughed. "Tell me your task again."

"Mistress Anniak charged me to watch over you and ensure that you remained here on your pile of cushions."

"But there's an obvious way for me to leave."

"Indeed."

Anniak smiled at Bemere and they stepped through the archway.

Twyla smiled happily at them. "I have not figured out how to move from these pillows as of yet. My guardian is adamant."

"But I am no longer adamant," Gruni said. "Mistress Anniak has returned and my duty is ended. I did enjoy your pillow rearranging idea though."

"That's the obvious route?" Twyla laughed. "You win and I very much enjoyed our game."

"As did I," the Plafahki woman said, standing up to crouch in the small alcove. "Anniak, I am off to find my Donag. We will see you during the festivities?"

"Of course! Thank you for lending me your time here."

"Until then," Gruni said, straightening up once she'd stepped into the larger chamber.

"How are you feeling?" Bemere asked Twyla.

"A little shaky, but I am myself once more. My memory though... I remember a lot of people sleeping, and then running through the dark. But mostly I remember the warm melty feeling I had. I liked it."

"Mistress Anniak would like to examine you for a moment, to make sure the potion's effects are gone."

Anniak knelt beside Twyla and looked in her eyes for several moments before nodding. "The worst of it has passed, though you may feel some effects of the Herald for a short time. Maestra, I would like your permission to cast a small glyph over you. It marks you as a welcome guest in our burrow."

Twyla nodded and Anniak made a series of fluid gestures with her hand and a small glow grew around Twyla for a moment and then disappeared. "There we are. Now you may move about freely within our burrow. In the meantime, Serah Bemere, all of your luggage and belongings are being cleaned and put right. I will have it brought here when it is restored."

"Thank you, that would be perfect. And my name is Bemere, not 'serah', if you'd do me the honor."

"And I'm Twyla, hardly a maestra at all."

The courtier smiled and bowed slightly. "Bemere and Twyla it is then. I must go and supervise some things, but I will return. If you have any needs, any at all, send word and we will happily assist."

After a nod to Gwyenth and Kaylie, Anniak left the chamber. Bemere watched her hips sway gracefully beneath the thin cloth around her waist. Embarrassed suddenly, she turned away in time to see that Gwyenth and Kaylie were watching as well.

"Nothing but trouble, those Dark Ones," they heard Gwyenth say after Anniak had gone.