Tales from the Goddess War Ch. 05: Matriarch

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And you sound absolutely fascinated," Kaylie teased.

"What now?" Twyla asked as the two outside continued to poke fun at each other.

"Would you like a bath?" Bemere asked.

Twyla sighed. "More than anything. Is there somewhere I can wash?"

Bemere smiled. "If you'll follow me, I think we can find something."

Gwyenth was buckling a sword belt around her waist as they emerged. After introductions, Gwyenth explained that she wanted to have a look around. She left soon after.

"Maestra, I have an undertunic that should fit you. That one looks about done in."

Twyla looked down. "I have to agree. But I think if we're going to share clothing, you should just call me Twyla," she said, pulling off the shredded undertunic.

Bemere tried not to pay too close attention, but her pulse quickened as Twyla's body was revealed. Even bruised and spattered with mud, she was just as beautiful as Bemere's occasional glimpses had promised, breasts larger than her own, standing proud on her chest with red nipples, growing hard in their freedom. Her stomach was flat, her hips wonderfully curved and between them...

"One of the washrooms is right through there," Kaylie said, getting out of her clothes.

"What is this place?" Twyla asked, marveling at the moving water and glowing walls.

"This is part of the matriarch's chambers," Kaylie said. "Khivu met us here when we arrived. The Understone folk socialize in places like this. Bathing is a large part of their society."

"While everyone is naked?" Twyla asked.

"It's hard to get clean otherwise," Kaylie said. "Nudity here is far less remarkable than the world above us."

Bemere had begun to perspire and gratefully took off the Envoy's surcoat while the two women found a tunic that would fit Twyla. The rest of her clothes followed but she quickly wrapped a towel around her hips. Her cunt had been drooling since the Witnessing, and the two nude women fueled even more lust. Kaylie wouldn't be bothered, but she wasn't sure of Twyla. Bemere did not want to have to explain why her thighs were damp with her own arousal.

"Now, to the baths," Kaylie said, leading them to another alcove carved into the stone wall.

Inside, a wide pool took up the entire room with only a narrow ledge around the edges. The water was stirred by jets of hot water bubbling up from the floor and a small channel directed the pool's overflow back into the larger cavern.

Twyla sighed happily as she tested the water. "This is lovely, being rolled in mud was an acceptable price of admission."

Kaylie laughed as she went to a shelved recess. She took a stone bottle and a stack of toweling. Twyla slipped into the pool, submerging her body up to her neck.

"Would you prefer privacy?" Bemere asked.

"I don't think so," Twyla said, eyes closed as she luxuriated in the water. "You really need to try this."

"Here, I'll help you get that mud out of your hair," Kaylie said, walking down into the pool, followed by Bemere.

"Duck under for half a moment," Kaylie said cheerfully.

Once Twyla's hair was wet, Kaylie turned her around and began to massage soap into her scalp. Bemere took a cloth from the stack and added more of the soap before she sat facing Twyla.

"Close your eyes," Bemere said, then began to carefully wipe the mud from her face.

"I think I understand what decadent really means now," Twyla finally said, as Kaylie rinsed her hair for the third time.

"Not quite yet, you don't," Kaylie said with a smile. "Now that you look more like a human than a mud golem, we'll ply you with wine and treats and you'll see what decadent really means. I'll go get you a cup."

Twyla smiled as the lithe, red-headed woman pulled herself out of the water.

"You know, I'm starting to really enjoy traveling with you, Bemere," she sighed, twisting her long blonde hair and squeezing the water out.

The elf wiped away the last bit of mud and examined her face. "Are you sure of that? You have a blackened eye, your jaw is bruised, on top of all the other scrapes and cuts."

"Do I look that bad?" Twyla asked as Bemere studied her face intently.

"No, you're as lovely as ever. Twyla, your injuries are my fault and I most humbly beg for your pardon for everything. If I had any idea what was going on here, we never would have..."

Twyla interrupted her by leaning close to press her lips against Bemere's. The elf was surprised but returned her kiss gently. She was even more surprised when Twyla took one of her hands and placed it on her breast. Bemere could feel Twyla's hard nipple against her palm and squeezed Twyla's breast gently.

Twyla took a long shuddering breath as their lips parted. "This has been the greatest adventure of my life," she whispered. "You have nothing to apologize for."

"I disagree," Bemere said, nearly panting with need.

Twyla smiled shakily. "If you really feel atonement is needed, please keep touching me. I've wanted you since that night I came looking for you in that wayhouse. I didn't know how to..."

Her voice trailed off into a quiet moan as Bemere pulled her close and kissed a line from her neck to Twyla's jaw. Her free hand went to Twyla's other breast and the human woman began to breathe harder as Bemere gently pinched and teased her nipples.

"My stomach feels like it did in the tunnels," Twyla whispered. "Warm and runny."

Bemere ran the tip of her tongue around the edge of Twyla's ear. "Do you like it?" she whispered.

Twyla nodded, shivering at the feel of the elf's warm breath in her ear. "But I'm not sure how it... I mean, what to do..." she whispered, wondering if Kaylie would hear them over the bubbling water.

"That's why I'm teaching you, silly." Bemere pulled Twyla closer, wrapping her legs around the woman's waist as they continued kissing.

When they parted again, lips swollen and breathing hard, Twyla saw Kaylie sitting and watching them. The red head smiled at Twyla and handed her a cup.

"Here is your wine. I'll be in the big pool if you two need anything else." She bowed slightly and left them alone.

"She's not going to be upset that we're in here together?" Twyla fretted.

"She would probably like an invitation to join us," Bemere said, wrapping her arms around Twyla again.

"Really?"

"Really. But I am keeping you for myself this first time."

They looked into each other's eyes and Twyla's hands found Bemere's aching nipples.

"You must be really excited," she whispered.

Bemere kissed her, tasting traces of the berry-mint wine. Twyla dropped the cup in the water and kissed her back, putting a gentle hand on either side of her face. The woman's hips were thrusting up, bouncing Bemere slightly.

"And how does this feel?" Bemere asked, reaching down to caress Twyla's sex.

The woman's eyes rolled back in her head and her thighs clamped around Bemere's hand as Twyla thrust her hips up hard, her muscles clenched tight. Bemere whispered encouragement into Twyla's ear as her finger slowly entered the other woman.

Twyla's face flushed as her body went as taut as a bowstring as Bemere's fingers brought her to climax. After several seconds, she opened her eyes and looked at Bemere, eyes wide.

"That's why you were so noisy at the way house."

"I think you'll enjoy this," Bemere chuckled and she slid one of her legs under Twyla, pressing their cunts together. Twyla groaned, grinding the lips of her sex against Bemere's. The elf slowed her friend's frantic movements, showing her how to move in a slower rhythm.

When Gwyenth returned, she found Kaylie floating in the larger pool, hands teasing her nipples as she listened to the moaning from the other chamber.

"Were you banished for coarse language?" Gwyenth asked, unwrapping the long belt from around her hips. "I can't say that I'm surprised."

Kaylie smiled, standing up in the water. "I thought you liked my coarse language. And it's Twyla's first time, so I gave them some privacy. As you can see, I'm diplomatic."

"Help me get this damned surcoat off. Her first time for what?"

Kaylie stepped out of the tub and helped Gwyenth get the heavy surcoat off. "She's never had sex before."

Gwyenth looked at her, eyebrow raised. "And you believe that? Please note that she is a traveling companion of a Plenilune fae, one firmly in the grip of her fertile season."

Kaylie stuck out her tongue. "Perhaps Bemere has more restraint than some other elves I could mention. Anyway, Twyla was raised by the Pale College. They are taught that to be a scholar one had to be chaste. She desperately wanted to be a scholar, so...."

"Divines preserve us, celibacy? What perversity won't you Humans imagine next?"

Kaylie raised her eyebrows, lightly pinching one of Gwyenth's nipples. "I'm never sure. Shall we use our imaginations together?"

Gwyenth shuddered slightly. "As much as that feels good, stewards will be along soon bearing gifts from the matriarch."

"Later then," Kaylie said, getting a towel. "What kind of gifts?"

"Suitable clothes for the chikkur festival," Gwyenth said. "A roundabout way of telling us that we will be meeting with members of Khivu's court."

The muffled moans from the alcove rose, culminating in strangled cries.

"It sounds like our friends have a moment," Kaylie said. "I'll go warn them before they start...bathing again."

"But where is the rest?"

"The burrow is warm enough that clothes are more for decoration than protection," Kaylie said, adjusting the long skirt wrapped around her hips.

"Can I see myself in a mirror at least?" Twyla asked, tugging at her bandeau

"Gwyenth has one over here,"

Kaylie and Twyla joined the other two in another semi-private alcove. There was an oblong shimmer on one wall.

"See Twyla? You look amazing," Kaylie said.

She blushed, examining her reflection. "How do you keep your nipples from showing through this top?"

"You can't. Yours are darker than mine, see?" Kaylie said, pulling a breast from her halter.

Twyla looked at their reflections again. All four of them wore the same type of loincloths as Anniak and the other courtiers; the hem of the front and back pieces fell a bit above their ankles but left their hips and legs bare. Their tops consisted of a long roll of the same translucent cloth wrapped several times around their chests. Twyla's nipples, dark red on her pale skin, were just visible. Bemere had helped dry her long hair, plaiting it into a heavy braid that hung over her shoulder.

"Yes, I'll admit that I do look good, I'm just not sure about wearing this outside."

"We're not going outside," Bemere pointed out. "And everyone is wearing something like that for the festival."

"No one will notice me?"

"Anyone who doesn't notice you is either blind or simple," Kaylie said. "Let's have a drink or two, it'll help you relax."

When the humans had mugs of wine, and the elfish women had lit pipes of clover, they sat together on the edge of a warm pool, feet in the water.

"What is everyone celebrating?" Twyla asked.

"The matriarch has begun her first generation of the ones you call Greater Spiderkin," Gwyenth explained. "These children will be trained from birth to be her closest advisors and confidants. Because they are so important to the future of the burrow, all the people here will spend the next three days in a celebration welcoming them to the Allworld."

"Does that work?" Twyla asked, fascinated.

Gwyenth shrugged and smiled. "I cannot say for sure, but the first generation has always been welcomed this way since the very beginnings of the Understone and the burrows thrive."

"Even if it was only tradition, I very much like the idea," Twyla said. "But the matriarch must be having a very busy week."

Kaylie chuckled. "More than you know."

"Khivu Ataphalis has rather turned things upside down," Gwyenth agreed. "Now that I know she isn't trying to spark a war, I find myself admiring her political machinations; rather than fight the traitors in her midst, she has used the crisis to solidify her claim as matriarch, something that usually takes seasons, if not years. The urgency of a possible plot against the burrow itself removed much of the courtly maneuvering and posturing, leaving her undeniably in charge of the burrow. She showed mercy with the traitors, likely to soften the resolve of any remaining conspirators. Khivu will be a formidable matriarch for this burrow. I fear that she will need to be, there is a larger darkness out there waiting."

"The plot goes beyond this burrow," Bemere said.

Gwyenth grimaced. "Far beyond. I've been speaking with Thief while the rest of you wallowed in luxury. Once he began talking, he was delighted to relate how clever his faction had been. At least until Khivu refused to execute the original invaders."

"How many took part in his plot?" Kaylie asked.

"Only a few here," Gwyenth said. "Thief did not plan this alone, there have been hints that someone is pushing for a war against the Humans. Khivu's interpretation of Law will be a larger thorn than anyone yet realizes. After the chikkur are born, all the surviving invaders will be returned to Human lands unharmed, with a new respect, even affection, for the Understone."

"I am certain that this won't be the last time I hear about the Cyannous expedition," Bemere said. "I just hope Emperor Flavius doesn't ask if I was involved."

"That sounds like the beginning of a fascinating story," Twyla said.

"You've heard enough tales for one day," Bemere laughed.

"Hello, my lovelies," Anniak called as she appeared in the passage. She was wearing the same style loincloth and bandeau as she had before, but the material was even more translucent than their own and seemed to sparkle. "May I join you?"

They made space for her in the pool and Anniak settled in with them.

"Khivu will join us in a little while," she said. "She is looking forward to meeting you in friendlier circumstance."

"During her own chikkur celebration? That is a singular honor." Gwyenth said. "May I offer you a pipe?"

"That's very kind," Anniak said.

Bemere handed her the pipe she had just refilled. Anniak snapped her fingers and a small spark glowed in the bowl. She inhaled deeply and held her breath for a moment before exhaling with a happy sigh.

"I'd offer you wine as well, but I'm finding that's mostly a human vice," Kaylie said.

"As well as our larger friends, but it does not agree with me. I appreciate your kindness."

They sat and chatted about nothing very much for a few minutes, until Gruni ducked under the doorway to enter the chambers. Behind her came Khivu Ataphalis and Donag, Gruni's mate. Lastly, a Greater Spiderkin followed them. His size and bearing marked him as a warrior caste male, but for all his size, he was still a third smaller than the matriarch.

"Well met, honored friends," Khivu said, bowing gracefully. "May you always be safe and cherished in my home."

The four visitors were already on their feet and returned her bow.

"Beloved matriarch, your beneficence encompasses us and we are content," Gwyenth said in a formal tone.

"My heart is gladdened," Khivu said. She pulled the mail shirt over her head and Gruni took it from her. "Serah Gwyenth, and Serah Bemere, before we truly begin our festivities, I would like to have a quiet conversation."

"The side chambers are prepared, matriarch," Anniak said.

"My thanks. Axit, Donag, join us," Khivu said over her shoulder before disappearing into another alcove.

Gwyenth glanced at Kaylie as she got out of the pool, but the younger woman shook her head. "I'll stay here and keep Twyla out of trouble."

"I'm not sure you are the best choice for that task," Gwyenth said, a rare smile on her face. "We will speak later."

Inside, Khivu had settled herself at one end of the little chamber, Axit on one side of her, Donag on the other.

"I regret separating you from your companions," Khivu said. "However, it is the Humans I would speak of and I would not offer either of them offense."

"Neither would likely take offense," Gwyenth said, as the two fae settled to the floor. "But a kind precaution all the same."

"Thank you," Khivu said. "Allow me to introduce Axit. He will serve as my...what is the title, Donag?"

"That one is 'foreign minister,'" the giant rumbled.

Khivu nodded her thanks. "Axit will be this burrow's first foreign minister, advising me in our dealings with the world above. He is also the father of my chikkur, and most of all, an old and trusted friend."

"It is my honor," Axit said, bowing at the waist.

"That is rather unexpected," Gwyenth said. "You will reach out to the world above?"

"Ignorance and hate came close to destroying my burrow today. Closer than I would like to admit. Think is not enough, even Law is not enough. We must look more closely at the world above us. Serah Bemere, you have my deepest thanks and affection for your deportment in horrid circumstances, not to mention your willingness to serve as Witness. I have no right to ask more of you, but...."

"You are worried about the Humans to your south," Bemere finished. "As before, I am at your service, Khivu."

"And again, I am in your debt. I cannot understand them as a people. Even within my own burrow, they baffle me. Out there are two Humans, the first serves the Great Lady as no human ever has. The other is not only a trusted companion of a Selenic Envoy, but a woman with arcane knowledge no one even thought possible. Perhaps I could regard the males as the uncivilized brutes, except that I have twenty-eight female hosts who were just as eager as the males to raid and murder my burrow. Are these two somehow daughters of renown, or the result of especially noble families?"

"These two display the best traits of their folk, and their path here has been unique," Bemere said. "I do not believe they come from any special lineage. Twyla is a foundling, given to the Pale College to raise."

"While Kaylie was a shareholder's daughter," Gwyenth said. "Wholly unremarkable until she caught the attention of the Mother of Trees."

"What sets them apart from the ones who came here looking for loot and violence? What should I make of this? Can you tell me what guides the path of a Human? Obviously, it is not an allegiance to Law. I have asked them, but none of them had two answers alike."

"Humans seem to be pulled by two spirits, light and darkness, good and evil, or chaos and order," Bemere said. "But very few manage to attain purity of either. The Humans that I know well choose some middle ground, constantly pulled back and forth at every step."

"They follow no gods or heroes?" Khivu asked.

"They follow the same deities as anyone else, but do not seem especially bound to any single Divine. Instead, their leaders come from conquest, not wisdom. Their governance is flawed from the start. Humans are spurred toward progress and improvement but rarely agree on what course their betterment should follow."

"It is a wonder that they've managed to organize anything at all. Or has that all been the work of their Selenic friends?" Khivu asked.

"No, matriarch. Our envoys and emissaries could not lead them, they are their own folk and not some sort of misbegotten fae for us to correct. Were they as long-lived as other folk, our task would be much easier, but life is rarely as one might wish. So, our efforts have been to provide their kingdoms and empires a measure of stability so that their drive to become more may be guided by a measure of wisdom. It seems like an endless task at times, and all too often, a heart-breaking burden that must be repeated again and again."

"You paint an alarming portrait," Khivu said.