Tales of the Wastelander Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He sensed someone next to him and the moment he looked up; he saw Ylva there, walking with him. She looked straight ahead, not paying Ben any mind, but she seemed happy to be there. It was almost like she was at home in this dark and broody environment. There were others who suddenly walked up next to her, some he recognized, others he did not.

Ben turned to keep his eyes ahead of him and saw something in the distance. It almost looked like... an oasis? It looked odd, almost like it was something that didn't belong in this hellscape. But there it was, just ahead of him, but far out of reach. He squinted and saw something... no, someone waiting by the entrance to the oasis.

As he walked closer, Ben could make out the features of the figure standing there. There was no mistaking that woman ahead of him. It was Samara, but she was centuries dead! He stared at the woman and called out to her, trying to get her attention. She turned and looked at him, smiling in recognition, but he could see anger contorting her features and wondered why.

He kept looking and saw something else that surprised him; Samara, standing there, holding two children. The closer he got, the more things changed, even the environment surrounding him. The moment he stood in front of Samara, she looked at him the way she used to when they were together. Her hands caressed his face, and she leaned in, kissing him.

Ylva humphed at this and Samara drew away, smirking at the big woman before letting her have her turn with Ben. Ylva then bent down and kissed him, much like Samara just had, full of love and passion. Ben was stumped how these two women, both alphas, were bringing themselves to share him like this.

They then looked to the oasis and sighed happily, with Ylva suddenly sporting a baby bump! Samara turned to face the woman and soon sported one of her own! Ben looked at them both and they seemed... older, as though time had passed in the blink of an eye. He looked at the children that Samara had, his children, and they were toddlers, clinging to his legs and begging to be picked up.

Smiling, Ben scooped them up in his arms and walked forward to stand in between both women. They wrapped their arms around him, each one giving the other a mild stink eye, but then smiling as they came to an understanding. The five of them walked forwards, to the oasis, and Ben knew this would be a good life.

******************************

Ben then came awake, sad that he had to leave such a beautiful dreamscape behind. It was both odd and weird, seeing Samara there in his dream, like she was alive! The details of the dream were already fading, and Ben snapped himself back to the present moment. He looked up to the seat of the cart and felt that the cart had stopped, saw Ylva was gone and his bow and arrows as well.

He stood up, peering at the area surrounding him as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. They were still in a clearing of sorts, with really high grass and reeds everywhere. After squinting against the glare of the sun, Ben could see Ylva moving through the long grass. She was taking her time with her pace, crawling, as though she was stalking something.

Ben hopped down and moved in her direction, but stayed quiet as he did so. He had nearly caught up to her, when her head whipped around and she brought the bow up, arrow nocked and ready to fire. She breathed out and gave him an angry glare, like he shouldn't be out there. Ben raised his hands and shrugged, while giving her a 'what?' look and Ylva simply pointed.

Ben glanced over and saw what appeared to be a kangaroo like creature, peacefully grazing nearby. He looked back at Ylva and mimed a shooting gesture at the animal, and she nodded back. She then put her finger to her lips, bidding Ben to be quiet, and he nodded, understanding her reasoning.

Ben stayed put as Ylva carefully closed the distance, drawing nearer to her target. The beast looked up and Ben could swear that it looked like a giant rabbit! If rabbits were over six feet tall and built like a powerlifter, then yeah, it sure looked like one! Ylva froze and Ben stayed still too, not wanting to spook the animal.

It sniffed the air, looked towards Ylva, then it turned its head and glanced at Ben. The moment its head turned was when Ylva raised the bow, drew back the arrow, and loosed. The arrow flew true and took the beast straight in the neck, downing it in a second. Ylva then stayed still and waved her hands, telling Ben to stay still as well.

Ben saw no point in arguing or defying the woman, as she knew far more about this world than he did. They stayed where they were for five minutes, while Ylva strained her ears to hear something, anything. After there was nothing to be heard but the wind, Ylva took a deep breath and gestured for Ben to join her.

"What was that all about?" Ben wondered as he closed to speaking distance with the big woman.

"Shh! Not so loud! Other rabbits might be nearby, and they have excellent hearing," she told him.

"That's what this thing is? A rabbit?" Ben asked.

"Yes. Tough to find one all alone, but if you do, you have to be careful," she told him as they moved towards her kill.

"I would imagine! A beast that big might well knock you out!" he said as they arrived at the rabbit. It was stone cold dead, its lifeless eyes peering up at the sky.

"It would do more than just knock you out. They are pack creatures that protect their own and are very difficult to kill. They are fast, faster than Clackers and often see shots coming," she replied.

"Hmm! They've certainly changed from the small things they used to be!" Ben commented as Ylva gutted the animal, spilling its insides at their feet.

"The Great Change and made many things into the way they are now. Help me clean the rabbit, before any of its pack comes looking for it!" she snapped.

Ben started, then kneeled to help Ylva with the job. Between the two of them, they gutted and cleaned the beast, keeping only its heart and liver, as they were good for eating. Once they were finished, they carried the carcass back to the cart and loaded it in the back before they were off.

"So, what's the deal with its pack mates? Wouldn't they scare off at any aggressive gestures?" Ben wondered.

"No, they do not scare easy. Rabbits are territorial and will often defend their feeding and breeding grounds. They do not seem like much, but their kicks are powerful and have heads like rocks," Ylva told him.

"Wait, they will headbutt you?" Ben asked, incredulous that such meek mammals had evolved to be territorial aggressors.

"Headbutt?" Ylva asked, confusion pasted all over her face. Ben then mimed what a headbutt would look like, and her face cleared.

"Yes. They will... headbutt... you, if they get close enough. They are smart too. If startled when alone, they will call out for help," Ylva continued.

"Ah! That's why you took it in the neck, then? To keep it from calling out for its pack?" Ben guessed.

"Yes. Neck shot is best when taking down a rabbit. Heart shot is good too, but you must be good and hit its heart dead center. Miss even a little, it will have enough in it to call for help," Ylva finished.

"I'm guessing that taking on a rabbit pack is dangerous business?" Ben surmised.

"It's not unheard of for people to die when hunting rabbits. Packs are aggressive, and even Clackers are wary when attacking a rabbit pack. Would need a very large hive to bring down a pack," she went on.

"Well, we probably should clean the carcass properly, with some water, to keep it from attracting predators," Ben suggested.

"There is a small river not far away. We will stop there and wash it out, so we muddle the scent of anything tracking its blood," the big woman told him.

Sure enough, not even a half hour later, the pair of them came to a river as Ylva said they would. There was a small ford in the middle of it, which appeared to be manmade, given how neatly the stones were organized. Wasting no time, the two of them stopped, dismounted, and brought the beast down to be washed.

They immersed the rabbit carcass in the quick moving water, letting the river do most of the work. Rubbing at the cavity, Ben washed away any remaining traces of blood and any clots. Ylva was busy with the fur and the skin, picking away any clumps of dirt and washing away the scent of blood. Once the rabbit was clean, they loaded it back up and crossed the ford with no issues.

They were across the river for all of several minutes when a high-pitched scream pierced the air. The pair of them scanned the area and found nothing in the immediate vicinity.

"That sounded like someone was in trouble!" Ben breathed.

"Sounded like it!" Ylva agreed as another scream carried on the surrounding air.

"I think it's coming from that direction!" Ben said, pointing at a cluster of trees.

"Are you seriously considering going to help?" Ylva scoffed.

"If it's innocent people, then yeah!"

"What if they're not innocent? What if it's a trap to lure us away from each other, or away from the cart?" Ylva argued.

"Drive the cart closer and I'll go see if it's someone in danger or a trap," Ben argued back.

"You know how to spot those?" she asked, giving him a doubting stare.

"It's not that hard, given how crazy and different this world is," Ben retorted, crossing his arms.

Ylva appeared as though she was about to argue, but thought to humor the man. Though it was a risk, it was one they were armed to handle, if it had to come to that. She guided the Thunderers towards the source of the scream, taking the widest possible path through the tree cluster. After a few minutes, they could see out the other side and both were convinced that the scream for help was real.

There were two carts, much like theirs, only finer in craftsmanship, sitting in another clearing. Surrounding the carts was a pack of Clackers, who were trying to jump up on the shorter one. The taller one was like a house on wheels, and it was the source of the screaming. At the doorway leading in, stood two women much like Ylva, both of whom clutched a pot or pan in each hand, flailing them wildly.

The shorter cart, which appeared to a cargo cart, was where a mutant man was perched, clutching a heavy stick. He swung it mightily, doing his best to keep the Clackers at bay, but there were too many of them. Bit by bit, they closed in and encroached on the cart, sticking to places where they couldn't be reached.

"We have to help them!" Ben said, taking his bow in hand, strapping on his quiver and machete.

Seeing her own kind in distress was all the incentive that Ylva needed. She could tell they were peaceful merchants, and she didn't want them to end up a Clacker's dinner. She hopped down and took the brute's axe in hand, intending to make good use of it on these abominations. Ylva stayed close to Ben, who was choosing a good vantage point, before getting to one knee, steadying his aim.

"When they take notice, you go in and take on as many as you can. I'll bring down any stragglers or ones that try to take you from behind," Ben instructed her.

"Make each shot count," Ylva told him, her blood up and more than ready to gut these monsters.

Ben lined up his first shot and fired, taking one Clacker at the base of its skull. The second and third went down much in the same fashion. The fourth, he took in the eye, as it turned and squealed a warning to its pack mates. The rest of the pack swiveled their heads and screamed at the new arrivals before turning to charge them.

Ylva then raised her axe high in both hands and screamed out a guttural battle cry, before charging the beasts herself. Howling like a banshee with her axe whirling, she decapitated one of them with a glancing blow, while splitting another in half with a downward strike. Ben cut down two more during this attack, causing the nearest two to hesitate, which Ylva seized upon, cutting them down like wheat before a scythe.

Four Clackers then attacked Ylva at once, all of them leaping in the air, trying to impale her with their claws. With a mighty swing of the axe, Ylva lopped the heads off three of them, while disemboweling the fourth. It hooted and screamed pitifully as it died, and Ylva left it there, granting the creature no mercy.

There was only one Clacker left, and it hooted and jeered, knowing it was outnumbered. Though death was certain, its animal instincts told it to fight, that maybe it could break free and return to its hive. It screamed defiance as it leaped to Ylva, looking to hurt her until its leap was cut short.

Simultaneously, an arrow caught it in the throat as a massive stick came down on its head, caving in its skull. The Clacker collapsed to the ground and died with a whimper. Behind it stood the swarthy male who had been trying to fend the Clackers off. He breathed heavily and leaned heavily on the stick, using it much like a walking staff.

He stood around six-foot-ten with raven black hair and yellow eyes and was green skinned. While not as large or heavyset as some of the slavers, the man had some muscle on him. Unlike the brutes in the slavers' camp, he was moderately handsome. He dressed in a manner akin to a western cowboy, with a leather greatcoat, solid boots, a white shirt and gray pants, which looked like a jean material.

The women who were behind him were similar, albeit female versions and shorter than the man. One was around the same height as he was, curvy, with a massive chest which Ben had a hard time looking away from, and wide, childbearing hips. She wore her black hair in a complicated braid, which went straight down to her plump ass. Her face would have been pretty to look at if she wasn't scowling.

The second woman was considerably shorter, though still taller than Ben at around six-foot-seven. Her black hair was cut short and in a stylish bob, and she was noticeably thinner than the taller woman. She had some muscle on her and a smattering of fat, making her look slightly underfed. She was prettier than the first woman, matching Ylva in her looks, but her eyes and face had an oriental cast to them.

She was bustier than the first woman, but her hips and rear were slightly smaller. Though both women were beautiful, Ben made a point to not stare. They were dressed in dark skirts that went to mid-calf and loose-fitting white blouses, which hugged their forms nicely. Ylva glanced at him and smirked, catching him checking out the women, and she winked before the man caught their attention.

"Thank you!" he told the pair in a gravelly voice. "I didn't think we'd run afoul of Clackers in these woods. At least, not this close to town!"

"You are welcome! Who are you? What are you doing this far north, anyway?" Ylva asked.

"Oh, where are my manners? My name is Lawrie; merchant, trader and scavenger extraordinaire!" he said with a sweep of his arms.

"My name is Benjamin Lopez. You can call me Ben," Ben said, introducing himself.

"I am Ylva," Ylva said simply.

"Nice to meet you both. I had come up this far because the snows had given way, making access to ruins from the Before much easier. We'd found a few things of use, enough to at least justify the trip," Lawrie stated.

"Do you have to go about telling everyone our business?" the long-haired woman said, berating Lawrie for his lack of caution.

"Mellany, they just saved our skins, so a little honesty would go a long way," he snapped. "Besides, do they look like slavers or rogues to you?"

"She may not, but I don't trust the Pinkskin," she groused.

"Not even when I brought down six Clackers without missing a beat?" Ben shot back, more than a little irritated at the lack of trust.

"Please forgive my sister's manners. She has a... difficult time trusting people, especially Pinkskins," he said.

"I'm guessing one of my kind hurt your sister or betrayed her?" Ben asked, throwing all courtesy out the window. "Don't judge the whole damned race on the actions of a few! Saw too much of that shit in my time and I hate that it's still happening!"

"Your time?" Lawrie stated, confused.

"Dammit! Well, the cat's out of the bag, I suppose. I'm not from this time," Ben stated, despite Ylva shaking her head, telling him to stop.

"Not from this time? Really? I suppose you came from the Before?" Lawrie laughed, not believing him.

"Please explain how I am here, in a place that was ass deep in snow, as you said? How I possess these tools and weapons?" Ben asked.

"Lucky hit on a scavenging run. It doesn't matter where you say you are from, the fact is that you are correct on everything," Lawrie stated, getting his mirth under control.

"LAWRIE!" Mellany shouted.

"Is it my fault he guessed it on the first go, Mel? Ben and Ylva here saved our skins from these Clackers, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt," he growled, making his stance plainly known.

Throwing her hands up in defeat, Mellany turned on her heel and walked away, her long skirt swishing as she moved. The other woman followed along in her wake, glancing back at them nervously. Mellany called to her, and she hurried along, joining her back at the carts.

"As I said, I'm sorry for my sister's attitude. Her difficulty stems from many... difficult situations with other people. I have experienced much myself, but I choose to believe that not everyone is out to murder us and take what we have," Lawrie said apologetically.

"It's all right. We all have our demons to fight. Some take longer than others to conquer," Ben said with a knowing look.

"Yes. Now that the threat is gone, how did you want to divide up the salvage?" Lawrie asked. "Fifty, fifty?"

"Salvage? What is there to salvage?" Ylva asked.

"Why the Clackers, of course! Much of their parts are very useful!" Lawrie told them.

"How so?"

"Clacker blood is highly flammable, so it's good to use as fuel for lamps. Their long claws can be ground into knives that are sharper than anything you've ever known. Their teeth, when polished, gleam like jewels and it makes them a highly sought-after item," Lawrie informed them.

"I suppose the fact that Clackers are highly dangerous adds to the allure and price of said parts?" Ben queried.

"Yes! Few people go hunting for Clackers and survive to bring back any spoils," Lawrie stated.

"Not only do they know our business, but they also learn our trade secrets too?!?" Mellany groaned, cuffing Lawrie upside the head.

"It's not like we'd tell anyone! Who would we tell? Besides, I'm sure that you'd like to know where you could find more of these beasties, wouldn't you?" Ylva fired back. Mellany gave Ylva a suspicious glare, but relented and crossed her arms beneath her breasts.

"So, where can we find more Clackers to salvage?" she asked, taking the offering.

"Ben?"

"About four days' journey that way. I will warn you; I was attacked by dozens of the creatures. Ylva guessed there might be a hive nearby," Ben told her and showed a couple of the scratches he took from them. Mellany appraised the scars and nodded, accepting that as the truth. She then handed Lawrie a few darkened glass jars that she was holding, while the other woman came up with an armload more.

"Thank you, Tasya," Lawrie told the woman warmly.

"All right. We agree to a fifty, fifty split of the salvage, as long as we can come with you three to the town you're talking about. Safety in numbers, right?" Ben responded.

"I can agree to that. Mellany? Tasya?" Lawrie asked. Both women nodded hesitantly, agreeing with the man, before heading off to fetch more bottles.

"Need a hand there, Lawrie?" Ben asked, as he hoisted the dead Clacker up.

"I can manage it. What I would appreciate, is you keeping an eye for anything else that wanders our way? Sure, this pack went down, but if there are more, it would help if you could watch for them," Lawrie told him. Nodding, Ben pulled an arrow from his quiver and nocked it, keeping an eye out.