Taming a Brat Pt. 05

Story Info
Alias finds her way around.
2.3k words
4.39
5.8k
2

Part 5 of the 23 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 05/07/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

*Alias's POV*

He threw me to the wolves. What's so wrong with showing me, or at the very least telling me where to

go? I helplessly glanced around the lobby of the enormous building, completely lost.

There must be a help desk around here somewhere. I tried to reassure myself, reminding myself that I am not the first person to be new- and lost- here. My eyes landed on a lady behind a large, circular desk at the far back of the lobby, typing away on the computer in front of her. Relief washed over me as I made my way to her, confident she would help me at least locate my office.

"Hi, I'm Alias Star, I'm the new head of Marketing and-"

"And?" She didn't even look up at me.

"And I'm not sure where to go, can you help me?" I tried to hide my irritation.

She let out a long sigh before typing something into her computer. Not very friendly to be a help desk.

"You're on the 23rd floor," she said coldly, "and I am also not a help desk. I am Taylor Shaw, head of the accounting department- which is located here on the first floor. The help desk is over there." She pointed to a small counter located in front of the elevator.

How did I not see that? I wondered to myself, but shook it off as nerves.

"I'm so sorry for assuming, thank you for helping me," I smiled at her apologetically. She didn't seem interested and went back to whatever she was doing as if I were invisible now. I let it go and walked over toward the elevators. Once inside, I pressed the buttons for the 23rd floor and hoped that the people in my department would be kinder than Mrs. Shaw from accounting.

The elevator dinged and the doors opened signaling my arrival on the 23rd floor. Employees sat at their desks quietly, no one was chatting with one another, eyes were glued to the work in front of them. Every single door was shut on the offices lining the walls. No one even looked up at me as I exited the elevator.

This is worse than a prison.

I spotted a large office at the very end of the floor behind the rows and rows of grey cubicles. The door was open- it was the only one with an open door.

Must be mine.

I made my way over to the office and as I got closer, I noticed my name engraved on a gold plaque to the left of the door. As I entered the office, I was a bit surprised to see a remarkable similarity to my own office back at Star Marketing. Abstract art, my absolute favorite, lined the walls of the large office. There were motivational quotes spread throughout the room, and everything was organized neatly, even the mountains of folders on my desk were in organized stacks. I couldn't stop the smile spreading across my face as I spotted the sparky pens that I always used carefully placed on the left side of my desk. Kane Rhodes pays more attention than I realized- he even noticed I was a lefty. I giggled to myself in realization that he must have orchestrated this all for me.

As soon as I sat down in the large, black office chair, everyone began emerging from their offices and cubicles, making their way to the elevators. Is this a fire drill? There's no alarm going off. I wondered to myself what everyone was doing and watched as they carefully entered the elevator in a single file line until I was the only person remaining on my floor. I grabbed my phone to text Kane and if there was something going on, but I saw he had already texted me twenty minutes ago!

Alias, every morning we have a 9:30 meeting with the marketing department in the conference hall on the 16th floor. Be on time. -Kane

Shit, it's already 9:28! I ran to the elevators and repeatedly pressed the down button as if that would make it open faster. After what seemed to be an eternity, the elevator doors opened. I jumped inside and prayed I would make it in time, not wanting to break a rule my first day. When the doors opened again, I spotted everyone behind a glass wall focusing their attention on Kane.

Maybe he won't notice if I stand in at the back. I thought to myself as I slipped in behind the large crowd.

Wrong.

His eyes landed on me as soon as I found a place to stand. He looked at me with irritation, but I didn't see his text in time! He could have easily told me about the meeting at breakfast, but no, instead we small talked about ourselves as if we even needed to know each other. He could be mad at himself for all I care.

The meeting drug on, every single point was negative. There was no encouragement or acknowledgments of success. Every meeting I held with my team, I always announced our wins and encouraged the team before we discussed the negatives. I think it's important to let your team know what they are doing right before telling them what they could do better. Somber looks were on everyone's face, trying to process all the criticism they just so harshly received. I looked at Kane, who seemed totally unfazed by the deafening sounds of crushed spirits and carried on pointing out what could be done better. I couldn't take it anymore.

"What was the best deal someone made last month?" I yelled over the crowd that instinctively parted so that Kane and I were looking directly at each other.

His jaw clenched, and he looked angry. "Ms. Alias Star, everyone. Our new head of Marketing for our starter company project."

He didn't smile, not even a little, as he introduced me. Quiet "hello's" came from around the room, very few people even looked over at me. It's like this place has actually sucked the life out of them. This was nothing like my office where all the employees were like family to each other. I hated it already, but I refused to let my emotions stand in the way of a major partnership for my company.

"Hi, everyone. I am so excited to be your new department head, and I can't wait to start implementing new ideas here, starting with these meetings!" I laughed, trying to lighten up the room.

No one smiled. Some people looked at me sympathetically, others looked at me with disappointment. Kane looked at me with utter disgust.

"Is that all, Ms. Star?" He asked bitterly.

Screw you, Kane. I refused to let this toxic meeting go on. "Actually, no. You didn't answer my question. What was a huge win for the department last month?" I asked confidently.

If looks could kill, I'd be dead. I could see the rage in his eyes as he debated whether or not he would respond to me.

"Sam Hanson signed a contract for one million dollars in advertising for Cario's Casino chain," he said nonchalantly.

People turned to look at who I could only assume to be Sam, his cheeks turned red as the attention shifted towards him. Some of our coworkers smiled at him or patted his shoulder in small congratulations.

"WOOOOO! GO SAM!" I yelled over the crowd, causing me to again receive confused looks.

No one dared speak, as if they were afraid of what might happen if the did. What is the deal here?

"Ms. Star, are you finished now?" Kane asked me with irritation.

"I just have one more question for you, sir," I called back to him innocently. Gasps filled the room as he narrowed his eyes at me. His demeanor shifted as if I said something that bothered him. Probably the fact I was blatantly ignoring his authority. He adjusted his tie and cleared his throat.

"Yes, Ms. Star?"

"Why do you only point out the shortcomings and failed attempts as opposed to recognizing the effort put in?" I asked knowing I probably was out of line.

He glared at me with pure rage before announcing the meeting was now over.

"Ms. Star, my office," he said to me as I was headed toward the elevators.

"And where might that be Mr. Rhodes?" I asked, reminding him I had no clue where anything was.

"Top floor. See you there." He turned his back to me and started talking with a man behind him signaling me to leave. I was definitely in trouble, but I don't really care. I hate only focusing on negatives, and running my own business, I know it's easy to get lost in the details. I have never been afraid to use my voice, and Kane Rhodes was not going to make me start today.

I rode the elevator to the top floor. When the doors opened, I saw an older woman at a small desk to the right of a closed wooden door.

"Can I help you?" She asked, peering at me over her thin framed glasses.

"Mr. Rhodes told me to meet him here," I responded softly with a smile.

"I wouldn't be so happy about that. Take a seat." She motioned toward the chairs on the opposing wall. I sat down and waited for what seemed to be ages when I heard the elevator doors ding open.

Kane emerged with a stern look on his face and he nodded his head signaling me to follow him. I hopped up from my seat and made my way into his ginormous office.

"Take a seat."

"Yes, sir," I replied gazing around the room. His office was minimalistic, yet extravagant. The decor was black with gold accents throughout. He had framed awards on the wall and a shelf of trophies displaying his accomplishments. No photographs of family or friends, now that I can relate too. The view from his office was definitely better than mine. I sat down in the black cushioned chair and turned my attention back to him.

"Ms. Star, maybe I haven't been clear enough with you," he began. Let the lecture begin. I mentally rolled my eyes while maintaining a smile on the exterior.

"First and foremost, do not interrupt my meetings. Not ever. Questions can be asked to me directly at the end. Also, never tell me how to have my own meeting. You're the head of Marketing, not the CEO of this company. Go back to Star Marketing if you're looking for hospitality, this isn't that."

What a fucking prick. What happened to the guy from breakfast this morning? Probably just a facade to trick me into thinking I was walking into a great company with a great boss. Little did I know.

I bit my tongue and tried to control my facial expressions as he harshly scolded me for my outbursts this morning.

"Secondly, you were late to my meeting. I specifically told you not to be late and texted you with plenty of time to make it there. A text to which you have yet to reply might a I add."

"I was finding my office all morning, no thanks to you, so I didn't have time to check my phone. Then, I was sent to the principals office as soon as the bell rang, so my apologies for not having a chance to respond," I retaliated, glaring at him.

"I didn't ask for an excuse, Ms. Star," He responded firmly, clearly not amused by my reference.

"Well, ask for it or not. It wasn't my fault I was late, and you should be kinder to your employees," I spit back to him. He might be my boss for this project, but I refused to allow him to hound me for something that was ultimately his own fault.

"I don't remember hiring you to tell me how to run my company."

"You hired me to run your marketing department, and positive employer/employee relationships are an essential part of marketing. How can I speak highly of a company whose CEO only speaks negatively to his employees?"

He looked hurt by what I said, and he thought on my words before responding.

"Alias, you agreed to work for me. If you don't wish to continue, please hand in a written resignation and have it on my desk by the end of the day," he said coldly without even blinking.

What was his deal? I was just bantering with him, but he wants me to quit? No, no. Alias Star does not quit.

"So what will it be?" He looked at me questioningly.

"I won't be quitting, Mr. Rhodes. You'll have to fire me to get rid of me."

"Continue to cause disruptions, and I will have no choice. Are you going to keep breaking rules, Alias?" He seemed a bit smug as he asked me.

Here's my perfect opportunity to spin things in my own favor. I smirked as I sat forward in my chair, propping my elbows up on his desk. I batted my eyelashes and pulled out my best puppy dog eyes.

"No, sir," I pleaded innocently.

His normally bright blue eyes turned a dark shade as he processed what I just said.

"Lastly, do not ever call me sir. Understood?" He looked agitated.

Geez, and I thought he liked it. What's the big deal? An authoritative, over controlling boss doesn't like to be addressed as sir? Weirdo. Whatever.

"Why?" I asked, knowing I probably shouldn't have.

He only chuckled at my response. "Don't," he said simply but seriously. I couldn't tell if this was all an act to make me respect him or if he was truly this strict about everything.

"You're dismissed," the corner of his lip turned into a very small smile as he motioned toward the door.

I couldn't help myself as I walked toward the doorway, I called over my shoulder with a smirk..

"Yes, sir," I slammed the door behind me before he could say another word.