Taming an Immortal Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's too sombre an occasion to speak of such exciting developments Etienne," said his uncle slyly. "I would love to share all my evil plans with you but I fear your mate is waiting for you isn't she not? We wouldn't want to keep the Lady of the South waiting too long would we?"

His hands reached out to clamp around his uncle's throat, not caring if there were onlookers. Filth of the earth shouldn't be allowed to live and he was going to choke the life out of Ealdwin...

"Etienne! Enough!"

His mother's voice was hoarse as she tugged his hand away from Ealdwin. "You stop this right now Etienne Arceneaux!"

When he didn't stop, she sent a spiral of fire towards him -the burn causing him to jump backwards in surprise.

"You just got the throne. Don't be stupid and waste it away on him!" she hissed. Grabbing his arm, she then pointed to the still silver band before tossing his hand aside. "What is the meaning of this Etienne? Have you not slept with her?"

"It is none of your concerns."

Etienne's rebuff was fuel for his uncle's protests; the Pureblood rubbing his neck where he had been choked earlier.

"Of course Elisa, didn't I tell you? It is all a sham! I told you, I begged you didn't I? Not to let this happen? But did you listen?"

Etienne didn't want to hear it anymore. Stepping in front of his mother, he drew his sword and pointed it at Ealdwin.

"Leave."

The sight of his healing sword left his uncle roaring with laughter; one hand thumping his chest heavily. "Are you seriously threatening me with that useless piece of crap? Such a stupid sword that cuts nothing!"

Stepping right into the blade, Ealdwin's laughter continued to echo before he suddenly stopped; his lips inches away from Etienne's ears.

"It's a matter of time nephew. I'll expose this lie and claim the throne as was rightfully mine. You'll regret everything you've done towards me. I promise you."

Etienne could only grit his teeth, for the next second, his uncle had disappeared in a flash of silvery dust.

When he turned away, he saw that his mother was standing very still; face white with worry.

"Go to Seurri and return quickly Etienne. Ealdwin is a sickness even I cannot stop." She stepped closer, one hand resting on his shoulder. "You are now the Lord of the West. Nothing makes me happier. I do not care if your marriage is a lie or not. What matters is that you have inherited what your father and I have built for you."

Coming from his mother, that was as close to an apology and praise as he would get. With a slight bow, he left his mother's side, walking towards the horse carriage that was prepared for him.

Stepping inside, Etienne allowed himself to breathe out slowly -the anger and worry seeping out of his body. He even kept the drapes of the carriage window down until he was certain that they had passed the castle grounds itself and onto the open road towards the south.

He had thought that Rose was safest away from him but now it seemed Ealdwin was relentless. Perhaps, it was time to make a trip to the central mountains to visit the Ancient after all. If anyone had answers, it would be Johannes.

But first, there was something he needed to check on.

Closing his eyes, he reached down to open the mating bond once again. It had been awhile since he last looked at their connection and what hit him was a bitter blast of sorrow - this time not directly because of him.

Rose had probably just received the condolence letter. He could feel every punch of her anger and sadness, so much so that it left him breathless from the unbearable pain.

Why do humans have to hurt so much? They knew that death would claim them eventually so why didn't they prepare their hearts and their minds beforehand? It was something he could never understand.

But the one thing he understood was that his mate was in so much pain and she didn't call for him, again. Looking further down their bond, he tried searching for the exuberant consciousness of his son but found nothing.

No... surely not! He would know; he would have felt it... right?

Aengus?

Nothing.

Risking it, he sent a pulse of power down the mating bond. Such a blatant effort from his end would surely be felt by Rose but he didn't have a choice. Her sadness had begun eating away at the boy's spirit, the lively child now cowering in fright at his mother's sudden shift in emotions that he had shut down everything around him. It was truly remarkable how an unformed being could possess such a consciousness. Surely it deserved to live a little more?

As though agreeing with his thoughts, a small kick of delight came crashing down the bond, followed by soft, almost tentative heartbeats.

Etienne didn't know what to say or do. This being wasn't even aware of the world. How does one explain death to something that is barely a life?

So he did what he thought was right.

Keep your mother happy. I'm... I'm coming.

***

The night had descended upon Seurri much faster than she wanted for under the cover of darkness, Rose felt the edges of her control slowly melting away.

She had pushed away all efforts to comfort her; insisting that she was fine and that the death of Lord Adam meant little to her. After all, their relationship had been short and recent.

But, when the sledge-wolves came racing past her castle gates bearing the body of her late adopted father, her knees gave way to jellied legs; the rage and tears kept caged all these while broke loose. How dare he leave her? Did he think her stupid not to know his plans?

Adam knew that his death would require Etienne's presence in the South once more but what's the point? It was too late!

These men - untitled, powerful, selfish men -constantly dictated what she needed or not to do. Should she wish to marry an entire harem of men or none at all, it was her prerogative!

The vases had suffered first -thrown against walls and smashed on the floor as she stormed down the hallway to greet her guest. If she hadn't been so blinded by her own fury, Rose might have been surprised at how effortlessly she had lifted a fifty pound sculpture before chucking it out the window.

She was nearly at the main interior gates when a hand curved around her, pulling the struggling Rose into a corner.

"You look like a thunderstorm out to fry and drown someone."

"Let me go Drake!"

But the seagull only held her tighter; his nose in her hair as a gentle hand rubbed her stomach absently.

"If you want to take out your anger on someone, I'm all yours," he whispered; the lightness of his breath tickling her ears. "But... this isn't you."

He had sounded so earnest and serious that for a moment, Rose almost forgot the seagull's cheeky flamboyant nature. She had frightened him... and yet here he was holding her tight.

"I'm sorry Drake... I just..."

He shushed her, caressing her hair tenderly as he rocked her body slowly side to side as though he was dancing to a slow tune in his head. Rose couldn't help but move in tune to him, feeling the overwhelming sense of calm and warmth washing over her.

For a moment, it had even felt as though she was in the familiar arms of a Pureblood she had once known... but it had to be from a dream a long time ago.

"Lord Ulrich is here. I must go..." she whispered, angling her head up towards the Changeling, watching the ocean blue of his eyes dilating as they stared down at hers.

"Rose."

Soft feathery fingers held her chin as his face inched closer and closer and -

"I have to go Drake..." Her whisper just a breath away from his lips.

When he released her, Rose gave him a gentle kiss on the cheek before dashing down the corridor to greet her guest. Whatever that had nearly happened there had dampened her temper slightly but gave her a whole other view of the seagull Changeling.

She had always accepted him as playful and mischievous; going all out to make her blush with his indecent proposals and jokes. But to consider that he had been doing all that all these while with the intention of gaining her attention...

Would Drake make a good husband?

The thought made her smile. He may be nearly hundred but he was still a baby in the lifespan of the immortals. But, at least he always made her laugh. Perhaps that would be enough.

She would think about it later. Right now, the grim face of the wolf Lord before her signalled a long night of emotionally draining conversation.

"Open the gates," she ordered; watching as the thick silver barricade was lifted, allowing safe passage for the Lord of the East and his carriage to enter.

"Welcome my Lord to the humble lands of the South," greeted Rose politely with a deep bow. "I'm sorry we had to meet for the first time under such dismal circumstances but rest assured that I am truly honoured to have your presence."

"The pleasure is all mine princess," he replied, reaching for her hand and sealing his greeting with a kiss on her palm. Rose had to remind herself not to snatch her hand back. Changeling men, in her opinion were extremely physical and it wouldn't surprise her if this was a normal form of greeting in the East.

Still, Rose couldn't help the flush on her cheeks. For a Changeling nearly twice Etienne's age, Lord Ulrich looked barely older than forty - broad shouldered and towering over her. Unlike the Western Lord however, Lord Ulrich wore his gold and silver hair in a short crop; trimmed close to the scalp.

But, it was his eyes that captured her attention. Blue with a rim of gold, Lord Ulrich had eyes that dripped sensuality; his pupils darkening the longer she stared at them.

Well, this was the Lord who had a harem of Vampire concubines after all.

"I hope your trip was well my Lord."

"It was an awful long journey but it's worth it now that I've seen you."

Lord Ulrich took his smiling eyes away from hers only to see to the correct handling of Lord Adam's body, currently housed in a makeshift glass coffin.

Thankful for the break in eye contact, Rose turned to inform the guards to find Miria and Eulalie for her. The wolf princess would probably see to it that her father was well taken care of while Rose settled the funeral arrangements.

"Would you like something to eat or drink?" she offered when Lord Ulrich returned his attention to her.

He nodded. "Only if you accompany me."

"Of course my Lord." Rose was still feeling queasy but she knew for the sake of politics and decorum, it was a necessity. Leading him to the private dining hall, she then requested for the cooks to see to it that refreshments were prepared for the Eastern Lord and his men.

"What would you like to drink my Lord?" Rose turned to the young kitchen maid pushing a tray of various beverages.

The wolf however continued staring at Rose curiously before gesturing to the bottle of wine. "A glass for me but a glass of warm milk for the princess."

"I'll have a glass with you as well," insisted Rose. Did he think she couldn't hold her alcohol? It wouldn't do to have your fellow noble consider you weak.

But before she could pour herself a glass, Lord Ulrich placed a hand over hers, turning her hand palm up to caress it softly. "Then I will have a glass of milk with you."

Her cheeks were unbearably red but she took her drink without complaint - secretly relieved at the comfort the drink brought to her stomach. It had also served to calm her nerves for Rose had been worried that she would appear extremely ignorant of Eastern land business - she didn't have enough time to study their mutual treaties yet!

But the Lord of the East didn't seem to be interested in that; his attention focused on the her hand in his, behaving as though it was the most natural thing for him to be petting her this way.

"You've done well on the rebuilding front princess. My daughter tells me you've been most pleased with my red wolves."

Pulling her hand away, Rose nodded. "I have offered them a plot of land to rebuild their homes. It was the least I could do for everything they've done."

Lord Ulrich was smiling with his eyes again; the corners tilting upwards into an upturned crescent moon. Rose somehow found her hands in his again but this time she gave up trying to take it back. Instead, she allowed her attention to drift to the spartan spread before him.

It had been fine for her to be fed with gruel, bread and butter and eggs for the past weeks for most of the food storage had been distributed to the city. But to serve this to their esteemed guests was just... embarrassing.

Even with the increase in food imports that she had sanctioned, it would still take some time for Seurri to be self-sufficient once more. The ports have to be rebuilt before fishing could resume and the crops that were replanted would take a year to grow back.

"I'm surprised you haven't asked me anything about him."

The silky voice of the wolf Changeling brought her slowly out of her thoughts; her eyes trailing back to the handsome face of her guest.

"About?"

Lord Ulrich leaned back in his seat and gave a low laugh as he resumed stroking her hand. "No, forget it."

When her brows furrowed in confusion, he merely continued to smile, watching her intently from his seat until Rose was sure he had memorised every line on her face.

"Have you been to the Eastern Lands, princess?"

Of course, how could she forget? Chased by bandits and nearly left for dead, Rose would not have been alive if not for Etienne who had brought her back to life and allowed her to join his wandering party.

"I don't remember much of my time there. I was only eight when I left." It wasn't the complete truth but Rose didn't want the unnecessary need to explain about Etienne in her life. Therefore it came as a great relief when they were interrupted by two brief knocks on the door.

Placing her own hand on top of his, Rose stilled his caressing motions before pulling away and standing up.

"That must be Eulalie."

Lord Ulrich however, had other plans; a hand gripping her by the wrist and pulling her back into her seat.

"I can see my daughter anytime. But you my lovely -I must have my share before a certain someone else steals your attention." He brought her palms to his lips. "Though it seems you have been claimed, I however am not the jealous type."

"I assure you my Lord that I have no intentions of giving anyone -including you any more attention than necessary. I should leave."

Her attempts at escape failed once again for he refused to release his grip on her.

"I will allow you to go on one condition."

Rose didn't like the tune of his conversation but she nodded nonetheless; her eyes cautious as he grinned.

"The people of the South would prosper greatly if our lands were to be united as one entity. Your lands have been ravished below survival point and while you're importing necessities from the East, why not go a step further and allow free trade between our lands?"

A treaty would suffice for that but Rose kept quiet, allowing the wolf Lord to continue. She knew what he was implying and while the thought distressed her, Rose knew she should not disregard the option. After all, it was her duty to put her people before herself.

"I have my entire army at your disposal and what these walls cannot keep out, my men will.

But more importantly my lovely -my Changeling kind would never look down on any human or half human child."

His fingers reached out to cup her chin; his smile reaching his eyes. "We celebrate all births, especially ours. So consider this, my proposal to you princess of the South."

Rose forced herself to smile at him before taking a step back towards the door. Relief at the sight of Eulalie and Miria steadied her nerves enough for her to take one last look at the Lord of the East.

"You will have my answer by the end of the week. Have a good rest my Lord and I will see you tomorrow morning."

She left with a nod towards the wolf princess before taking her leave with Miria at her side.

It seems like the two weeks ahead were going to be long and difficult.

***

Some explanations:

Just to clarify a few things. Zahara and Etienne are connected by their great-grandfathers which makes them cousins I don't know how many times removed, so technically they can marry -it is not uncommon for cousins to marry in royal families. But, like many traditions, a marriage can be annulled if it's not consummated so *cries* maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel for our HEA! Although, I wasn't expecting to write a scene with Ulrich like this but somehow after I've written it, I'm wondering if perhaps it would be a good idea for them to get married.

As for Rose, remember that this is only the 2-3weeks into her pregnancy and with everyone around her not even hinting a thing, even if she suspects, she's not going to know. Heck, I didn't even know till I was almost 3-4 weeks in!

Anyway, I'm sorry these few chapters have been mostly plot but I promise sex in the next chapter!