Taming an Immortal Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Etienne didn't wish for it to be that way. His father had done what was expected of him, gaining no pleasure out of it -and in the end, he had left everything behind like it all mattered not anymore.

"And if I choose to defy you?"

Johannes had his eyebrows raised in high arches. "Then you, like your father will die a mortal death - are you ready for that?"

Was he? To die without leaving a proper heir? Then the throne would be passed on to...

No. Not Ealdwin.

"I am to have a son. If a mortal death is what it takes, then I am ready for that."

Something passed across the Ancient's face - a shadow of sadness perhaps, or disgust. Etienne had no doubt he knew about the birth of his brother. So surely the idea of a Halfling was not something new. Especially since...

"He brought him here didn't he? To show you his son was a Pureblood?"

When the Ancient remained silent, Etienne pressed on. "But you said no didn't you. You told him to choose."

The Ancient simply gazed down at him; eyes devoid of emotions. "I've said what I need to. Till we meet again young Etienne..."

Johannes gave him a final glance; his head turned slightly backwards, revealing the single gash on his left cheek.

Etienne would not be so lucky to ever be in his presence again.

Do you have someone to protect, my son? - Yes.

"Should anything happen to me, and if my son is not allowed to be an heir, then Ealdwin plans to marry my mother and claim the throne." Etienne lifted his eyes to the Ancient in open confrontation. "With his hyena army, you know it's a matter of time."

Everything around them suddenly stilled.

Fiery wings of the Ancient snapped open -four flaps blazing with blinding luminance.

Towering over him, the Ancient roared as he scaled twice his human size; golden eyes going pure white; his hair standing on ends like a caped dragon.

Etienne had to shield his eyes, stepping backwards to avoid being burnt by the Ancient's wrath.

"HE DARES DEFY THE NATURAL ORDER OF THINGS?"

The voice boomed inside Etienne's mind - a thundering roar filled with malice and betrayal. Rightly so. Only the firstborn had the right of throne. It was the only reason why an Ancient as powerful as Johannes held no claim even after his own cousin, Alderich was slain by Ulrich of the East.

"DOES HE THINK HIMSELF MORE RIGHTFUL THAN I?"

Etienne got to his knees, head bowed low. He had opened a can of worms and nothing he would say now would matter to the Ancient.

"A DISGRACE ALL OF YOU."

A blast of cold fire swept down and through his body but Etienne remained still. Just one wrong move and Johannes could potentially burn him alive.

The Ancient brought his face closer to Etienne's; hot air breathed out from his porous nostrils. Etienne had to cover his face with his sleeves in an effort to shield himself.

"YOU WILL PRODUCE AN HEIR WITH ZAHARA. OR I WILL PERSONALLY WIPE CLEAN YOUR ENTIRE BLOODLINE."

There was no chance for defiance now. When he reopened his eyes - the Ancient was gone.

"No! Wait please Granduncle, I have to -"

Whatever he wanted to say died on his lips as the shrill scream of his mate pierced through his consciousness; the force of her suffering ripping through his body rendering him almost breathless.

***

Bereft of moonlight, the sky appeared empty as the littered stars above were hidden by dark clouds carrying the threat of rainstorms.

But in her room, Rose had all the light she needed; the warmth glowing from inside her as she held on to the edges of her bed, nails digging into the sheets at the next wave of pain criss-crossed through her body.

As her screams ripped through the silence, Rose grabbed the hand stretched out for support and clamped her own around it. She didn't care if bones were broken. Anzer wasn't wincing one bit and from the looks of it, even his body came prepared with its inhumanly strength tonight.

His dark hair had made way for the silvery tresses so familiar to his brother's; eyes of silver twinkling even in the dim glow of the candles around them. Like at the start of every lunar cycle, the human half of him gave way to the takeover of his Pureblood side, rendering him almost indistinguishable from the Lord of the West himself. Except - where Etienne had cold impassive eyes, Anzer's were warm and reassuring.

And yet - it was the dispassionate eyes she sought in the darkness; her anchor to reality. As her body gave its first push, Rose closed her lids and recalled the silvery eyes of her love. The same eyes that she dreamed of constantly in those long years when she was alone in the human village as a child, longing for the male she could never have.

"That's it Rose, another push and oh... I can see the head!" The midwife cried.

Rose tightened her grip over Anzer's hand, hearing the crack of his bones when she gave her next push. Encouraged by the midwife's account of seeing her baby's face then shoulders and his torso, Rose screamed into the night as she gave her final push - her body ready to collapse and shut down on itself.

***

The only sound interrupting his thoughts was the whirring of the wind as his body propelled its way through the night in a blur of movement and anxiety.

The pain that had shot down through their mating bond had almost crippled him; his body unconsciously giving up as he fell to his knees, shuddering in pain. Why had he not been informed that she was in labour?

Etienne wouldn't have hesitated to be by her side at all times, if she had only asked. And yet, it had taken that final soul ripping pain for the truth to pierce through the layers of white noise blocking her side of their mating bond. Rose had done it on purpose and the realisation was more punishing than anything he had experienced before.

She wasn't going to make it.

The little human girl he had saved, raised and then loved all his life was going to die tonight. He could smell it; taste her end in the air. And nothing he could do would save her because he would be too late...

Seurri was just too far.

If he could only just be faster, move faster...

Another blood curdling scream nearly sent him spiralling downwards into the caverns; his wings losing all nervous control as her pain shot down his spine and twisted his body.

"Damn it Rose... I'm coming. Don't you dare die on me..." he groaned, flapping his wings harder as he resumed being airborne. The image of her twisting in her own pool of blood made him bare his teeth in frustration. Etienne was going to reach her side before that happened, even if it meant pushing himself to the limits of death and exhaustion!

He didn't know how much time had passed - maybe hours, maybe a day - but as he crashed through the glass window of his beloved's room, Etienne could only recall the pale tiles on the floor as his body crumbled downwards without grace.

"Etienne! What are you doing here?" He felt his body being pulled up by a male - his scent so strong and familiar like that of his own... or perhaps it was of his father's. But underneath that, was the cloying scent of death.

"Rose. Baby." His eyelids peeled back forcibly as he tried to re-orientate himself. Using the Pureblood before him as an anchor, Etienne pushed himself back onto his feet and snapped his attention back to the room.

"Where are they?" he croaked, studying the cautious face of his half-brother. From the looks of it, Anzer was battling with himself as to whether he should let him through or not.

"That is my son... and my mate." Etienne bared his fangs in a show of possession but Anzer looked neither threatened nor worried. Instead, his brother looked almost sad as he shook his head.

"Not to her Etienne... not to her." And with that, he stepped aside, allowing him to pass through. "She's past the door behind me," he relented. But before Etienne could push past him, Anzer gripped his hand and held the other palm down on his chest. "You do not so much touch her without her permission nor hold the child unless I say so. Are we clear?"

Whatever his promise was, it was thrown out the window as soon as he stepped into the chamber. Etienne didn't know the exact moment he lost control of his body but the sight of her sprawled on the bed, her head tilted to one side and staring unblinkingly made him slam onto his knees.

"No... no!"

Her face, once rosy and fair was now tinged with blue; veins creeping up her neck and cheeks like tendrils, robbing her of her breath. On her chest lay a bloodied bundle of limbs, the innocent child clearly unaware of the life his mother sacrificed to bring him to the world.

"Take him... please..." he begged to no one in particular. As a flurry of hands came and took the baby away, Etienne crawled towards the bed, reaching for her hand and bringing it to his lips. God, she was so cold...

He had thought the bit of blood she had drawn from him so many months ago would be enough to tide her through this birth but apparently not. She had passed everything - her strength and the bit of immortality in his blood down to their son, leaving her an empty vessel.

"Rose... please," he whimpered into her cold unmoving hand, not caring that he was begging, on his knees, and at the mercy of the human before him. With his forehead resting on her hand, Etienne closed his eyes and counted the hours he had left with her, wishing for once that he wasn't blessed with the ability to scent the impending death. Was this how father had felt when Yelene was at her death bed?

Truly, Etienne didn't see the lure of living beyond this moment without Rose - even if she despised him, refused to speak or look at him again. He would accept all that just so she could take another breath.

"Leave us!" he roared, keeping his body stiff and commanding until he was sure every soul had vacated the room.

Only then did he climb onto the bed, curling his body around hers; willing his own heat to warm her as much as he could. For a moment he caught the faint smile on her lips but then her eyes -those beautiful baby browns - closed their doors to her soul. And he knew it was too late. He was too late - there was no way to tie her life now to his as his father had done with Yelene.

"I'm so sorry Rose..." he murmured into her hair. "I would do anything now to hear your voice... that singing of yours. Did you remember how I hated when you sang?"

Etienne didn't know where he found the energy to laugh but he did. It seemed almost disrespectful but he didn't know how else to express his emotions.

"Never... stopped me..." Barely audible, her whisper sent him stiffening; his body keeping still as though he was afraid any sudden movement might rob him of a precious second of her life.

"You... you made me happy," he croaked. "I wish I had never sent you to Kirke..."

He couldn't trust himself to continue. Something stung in his eyes and his throat felt parched all of a sudden.

"Where's... baby..."

"He's safe." His reply was instantaneous. She didn't need worry about the child. He would see to it that it had everything he needed.

"Aengus..." Her eyes fluttered open slowly. "Please..."

Etienne didn't want to leave her. What if he turned and she was gone? How could he live knowing he missed those last seconds with her? But his heart couldn't bear to see the pained longing in her eyes. She needed to say... goodbye.

Walking heels first, he kept his front towards her, his eyes on hers even as he inched towards the door. When he opened it, Etienne only barked his command for a second -no longer -before returning his attention to his dying mate.

"Let me in brother."

Etienne stole another glance away just as the tiny body of his son was thrusted into his arms. His growl was erased the moment he looked down and saw the child for the first time.

"You didn't lie," he whispered, looking up at Anzer. "Pure of bloodline... as you are now."

That was still one secret he had yet to understand. But for now, all that mattered was returning to Rose's side with their baby in her arms. Leaving the door open, Etienne didn't care what his half-brother wished to do.

"Rose, my love... he has the most beautiful eyes..." He nestled the baby in the crook of her arms, careful not to let the weight rest on her chest. Again, she could only manage a faint smile but her limbs could not move to hold the child as he knew she wanted to. So he did what felt right at that moment.

He climbed onto the bed again, cocooning the baby in between them; his hand reaching across to hers and drawing it gently on top of Aengus.

They stayed that way for god knows how long - him staring at her face, their baby wriggling every now and then to look up at him and then sometimes at his mother. He didn't know how the baby remained so quiet and uncrying for his heart was breaking just lying like this with them.

But as time went by and the first inkling of sunrise peeked on the horizon, Etienne found himself snapping awake; his eyes looking first at the sleeping infant and then to his mate...

No...

"Etienne..." A strong hand clasped over his shoulder; a second before the baby was scooped away from the bed. It was probably the best move for he had flung himself onto the floor, dragging Rose's limp body into his arms.

Muttering words he remembered of a long time past - words perhaps his father had whispered when he too lost his love -he rocked back and forth, blocking out every sound, every sight and every scent that circled them.

***

Zahara felt as if her brain was frozen after the lightning speed at which Johannes had dragged her across the country. There had been no words when he came for her, his arms simply grabbing her as he mounted his wings and flew -no, rocketed southwards towards Seurri.

And in this moment, as they stepped into the royal chambers of the reigning Lady, Zahara didn't need to ask why anymore.

The scent of death hung like drapes, cloaking the room in darkness...

Or perhaps it was just the sorrow radiating from Etienne in waves, his aura of mourning making the air in the room impenetrable.

"Grandfather... we shouldn't," she started, reaching out to touch the Ancient. But Johannes simply pulled her along and into the room, his eyes studying every other being in the room before settling on one Pureblood in particular.

"How long ago, grand-nephew of mine?"

Just as she remembered him, Anzer was perfectly of Pure birth, down to the silver of his hair and his eyes. And in his arms slept the child who was a mirror image of his father...

The Lord of the West was crumpled on the floor, rocking his lifeless mate silently in his arms. Oh Etienne...

He finally had everything he wanted - an heir, the throne... and a wife. Except, she wasn't truly the one he wanted. Etienne would have gone into death with his true mate, if not for the fact that Zahara was tying him here in reality.

"A quarter of an hour my Lord," replied Anzer, eyes cast down as his body bent slightly into a bow.

The Ancient merely nodded as he marched towards the side of the bed and stood right behind Etienne; his shadow looming over the two entwined bodies. Zahara thought he was about to smack his nephew for daring to appear so weak but her grandfather simply remained rooted with his eyes angling down.

"Zahara, is there something that you wish to say?"

Zahara looked up at her grandfather and saw her sadness reflected in his eyes. He knew.

"I... I release you Etienne Arceneaux... from these binds of matrimony," she whispered, looking down sadly at her silver bangle, knowing it will never turn gold until the day she died. "Ease your soul and be with your love."

The moment those words were spoken; Zahara felt her body sagging as though a tremendous burden had been lifted and the weight of her actions pummelling down her shoulders. There would be repercussions - anarchy, mutiny, unrest.

But at this moment, she didn't care anymore. Etienne was no longer of this world, his heart wanting to follow Rose into the next. How cruel of her to chain him into a lifeless commitment because of this pretentious bond they have?

Zahara loved her cousin. So much, she would rather him die blissfully than suffer eternity with her.

***

Etienne didn't know where he was. One moment he was in Rose's chambers and the next, there was only emptiness around him. Strange how he had always imagined purgatory to be all white and sterile but where he was now felt like being inside a vacuum.

He could neither see nor hear, speak or smell. And when he tried to reach in front of him, there was nothing - not that his fingers felt real. He couldn't even comprehend if indeed he had lifted his hand at all.

Everything was a blank.

Etienne.

He didn't hear it - more like thought it. Yes, that was his name, at least that he could remember.

I have already lost your father. I will not lose you too.

Something snapped - a tension of some sort released somewhere behind him, propelling him forward in a continuous roll...

Where... where am I? His head was spinning. He tried to will his body to stop but here in this emptiness, he had no control of himself.

The bloodline is pure and will always reside with the first born.

Etienne didn't give a fuck at the moment. He just wanted to stop this tumbling feeling - not that he was sure if his body was even moving. If he couldn't feel or sense anything, then who was to say if this was real?

Ealdwin... he is beyond control. But I cannot do it. He looks too much like your father.

Etienne wanted to lift his head and look at whoever it was that was shoving the thoughts into his head. Maybe even give the bastard a punch.

Where is Rose?

Will you stop Ealdwin?

That's right... Rose, his beautiful Rose was dead. What did it matter if he stopped his uncle or not? There would never be another moment of watching her smile or scowl at him. Ever.

If I give Rose her life back... will you stop him?

What? How? Vampires do not give life.

Etienne? Rose for your word.

Yes.

Air. Air was gushing into his lungs. His body ached. His limbs feeling like ants were crawling all over him as they regained sensation once more.

"Etienne."

Raising his face towards the voice, Etienne slowly peeled back his eyelids and winced at the sudden glare above him. At first he thought it was the sun but as his eyes adjusted, he saw that the glow was coming from the same Pureblood he had sought mere hours ago.

"This is my gift to you, the son of my beloved nephew. May you secure your lives to each other always - this human heart beating as long as yours."

"I don't understand..." God his head was pounding but he forced himself to open his eyes and watch as his granduncle knelt before him, a bloodied wrist reaching down and moving towards...

"No!" He didn't know what he was objecting to but somehow Etienne knew the trade was something he could not sanction. "You will die."

The Ancient merely smiled. "And so I shall." He didn't stop this time as he pressed the life blood over Rose's lips while his other hand rested on her chest; the glow spreading from the points of contact until it consumed them both.

***

Epilogue

9 months later

Rose woke up with the usual ache in her body. She was told that coming back from the dead was like jump starting the body from infancy all over again. It had taken a few months for her to learn how to walk, eat and even speak again but it had all been worth it. Especially if she woke up to the glorious sight of the naked male beside her - long lines of lean muscles, silvery soft hair and a smile that belonged only in this bedroom, for her.