Tank's Farewell

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I locked eyes with Crystal and said, "His last name wasn't Franklyn. It was Rogers."

"So was mine for many years. Right up until I married Johnny Franklyn."

Teri sat on the bed two feet from me and said, "You knew our Grandpa?"

"Did people call your Grandpa Tank?"

She nodded.

"In his home is there a picture dated 4 October 1968 showing five men all dressed..."

In jungle fatigues. Grandpa was the guy in the middle." Teri finished.

"I'm the guy to his right. Pete. Pete Peterson."

Nothing about Crystal was showing any surprise. The girls were.

Ayla asked, "So you were with him in Viet Nam?"

"We got off the plane together and left on the same plane."

"What happened to mess up his shoulder?" Crystal asked.

"He never said?"

"Nope. I think I only saw the scar three times in my whole life, but I knew it was there."

"He was saving my life when he caught that bullet. Ten minutes later I caught one in my left leg. We were med-evaced out together. He got the Silver Star. I got the Purple Heart."

"I never saw a medal." Crystal said.

"No one ever saw my Purple Heart either. It was all crazy. Now, here we are in a snow storm headed to say good-bye to Tank."

I got up and walked to the window. I watched the snow for a long time. I heard the door open and close. When I finally turned around Crystal was still there. She was sitting on the bed, facing me and watching me.

"You Ok?" I asked.

"I don't need to go to the funeral any more. I was going to say good-bye to my Daddy. I feel like I've done what needed to be done to close that chapter. I'll still go, still cry, still let my girls say good-bye to their grandpa."

"You knew who I was, didn't you?"

"From the moment you came through the door into the lobby. Next to the picture of the five of you is a picture at each of the other funerals. You're in every picture. You're Re-Pete Peterson. Tank used to say your name and then say, "All that was missing was a stutter."

I'd heard the same line since 1968. I sat on the bed next to her and asked, "Ok. What's next?"

"When the storm breaks we call Hot Springs and schedule the funeral. After that you go home and I start a new life."

"What happens to Tank's house and business?"

"I have no idea. I guess I'll find out when we get to Hot Springs." Crystal put her hand on my arm. "The girls won't be back until five. They said we needed to talk."

I nodded.

Crystal continued. "I don't want to talk. I want to take off all my clothes and I want you to hold me and love me again."

"If I was your age, I'd jump at the chance. I'm Tank's age and I don't jump anymore. Let's just lie here and hold each other till your kids come back. Ok?"

She piled pillows and leaned me against them. She unhooked her bra, snuggled against me and covered us with the bedspread. We shared stories about her growing up with Tank and me living with Mrs. Re-Pete. I got in touch with how Tank was about kids and family. I got in deeper touch with how Mrs. Re-Pete and I grew apart, stopped sharing and became hostile roommates. She didn't ever understand how I was focused on contributing to the community when she thought I should be focused on making money for her and our kids to spend.

When the girls came back they quietly opened the door and peeked to see what we were doing. We were looking at them. Teri said, "Darn! We didn't catch you doing anything."

My hand slid up Crystal's back and around to her front, cupping her breast. She didn't move at all.

"What you mean is that you didn't see us doing anything except lying here on the bed."

Ayla's eyes got bigger and she asked, "Are you naked?"

"Do you want your Mom to be naked in bed with an old man?"

"No. Not just any old man." Ayla answered.

"But you aren't any old man. You are grandpa's best friend in the world. He told us and Mom all our lives that if something happened and we needed help he couldn't give, we should call you." Teri said.

"I loved my Dad more than I have ever loved anyone else. My husband knew he never measured up to Tank. He gave me two beautiful daughters and left. I moved to Provo when I got divorced to make life easier for Dad. We've been there five years."

I turned the TV on. I didn't want them to uncover us. I didn't want to let go of Crystal's breast, even though it was covered. Our TV was on the weather.

"The storm has turned south and roads are clearing all across Wyoming and South Dakota." He went on to give details but we had the news we wanted. We ate some food and got ready for bed, figuring to leave at first light. We sent the girls into the bathroom to clean up and pack. They showered, set out fresh clothes for the morning and stashed everything they could back into their suitcases. While they showered, Crystal and I undressed and she put the green t-shirt back on. She didn't put the panties back on. I kept the boxers on.

When the girls came out Teri 's eyebrows went up for a second, then she smiled and got packed.

As they got into their bed I looked out the window and there was no snow falling or blowing.

We snuggled and I fell asleep. When I woke up later to answer the call Crystal whispered in my ear. "Hurry back, I have something for you."

I hurried back. I slid into the bed and noticed the girls were sound asleep, facing away from us. Crystal slid down in the bed and fished my penis out of my boxers. It came out of my boxers and into her mouth. She sucked me hard about as fast as it could happen and without any noise at all.

She worked me over good and I loved it. I had to stifle moans and gasps. When I came she swallowed it all and licked me clean before she tucked me back into my boxers. Slowly and quietly she worked her way back up beside me. We kissed and then she turned so she was spooned back to me.

I slept very well. The alarm woke us at five-thirty. I stayed in bed while the girls grabbed their clothes and dashed into the bathroom to dress. Crystal and I got up and dressed, I pulled on jeans, a fresh t-shirt, western shirt and my boots. Crystal got out of bed and pulled the t-shirt off, leaving her standing there naked. Ayla opened the bathroom door and saw her Mom standing naked in front of me.

"Mom! You're naked!"

Crystal looked up and said, "Yeah, and?"

"Pete's right there!"

Teri's voice came from behind Ayla, "He's see her naked before!" Ayla closed the door. We finished getting dressed. I whispered, "I hadn't seen you standing naked before."

Crystal smiled. When all four of us were ready I called and a bell man came for our stuff. We took it all to my truck. I could haul it all and that would make their smaller car more comfortable. I told them to take snacks with them and to wait while I went back inside for a minute. Inside I bought batteries and two two-way radios. I gave one to Crystal and kept one.

"Just in case," I said.

"Just in case what?" Teri asked. Her grin said she knew everything.

"Just in case I need sex with your Mother." Her face blanched. Crystal and I laughed and Crystal said, "Just in case we have a flat tire and need help. Just in case we need to stop for a pee break. Just in case Pete wants to stop for a sandwich."

"Oh." Teri said, "Good idea."

The three of them got into Crystal's Toyota and I got into my truck. I let Crystal lead. Five miles down the road Ayla's voice came over the two-way radio.

"Pete? Can you hear me?"

I pushed the button and said, "Yes, Ayla, I hear you."

"Ok. I just wanted to check these radios out."

"I'm about a hundred fifty yards behind you. I'd be comfortable going no more than sixty for a while. Ok?"

"Ok. If the roads are still good around noon it'll be warmer and maybe we can go a little faster?" Crystal asked.

"Let's talk about that at lunch."

"Ok." The radio went and stayed silent for over an hour.

As I passed a sign telling us that a rest stop was two miles ahead I called and asked, "Pit stop anyone?"

The answer came when Crystal put on her blinker. I followed them in and parked beside them. I used the facilities and so did they. Their bathroom was closer. When I came back Ayla and Crystal were back in the Toyota. Teri was standing beside my truck.

"Can I ride with you for a while?"

I opened the door and waved her in. Crystal started the Toyota and backed out of the parking spot. I climbed in, closed the door belted in and followed Crystal out onto the Interstate. Once we were back in the groove of travel Teri asked, "Can we talk?"

"Sure."

"I'm worried about Mom."

I didn't respond right away. She'd tell me what was on her mind if I waited.

"She's been hurt pretty bed. My Dad was hard on all of us."

"And?"

"And I saw how she was looking at you over breakfast."

"I'm old enough to be her Dad."

"Grandpa was sixty-eight last August."

"I was eighteen when we were in the jungle. He was twenty-six or seven. I'm sixty today."

"Please don't hurt her."

"I have no intention of hurting her, or you."

An hour passed. Crystal called and Teri answered. They talked about stopping in Rawlins for lunch. My GPS said there was a truck stop there. We could eat and get gas. I didn't say so. I just said there was a truck stop there.

We stopped. I paid for gas and lunch. When we went back to the vehicles Ayla joined me in the truck.

She was more impatient than her sister. We were barely on the road when she said, "I'm worried about Mom."

"Is she sick?"

"No, nothing like that. She's thinking about you."

"And that worries you?"

"I don't know what she's really thinking. She usually talks a lot when she drives. She's not talking."

I pressed the button on the radio and said, "Crystal?"

"Yes, Pete? I'm here."

"Talk to Teri . She needs to know what's going on in your head. When we get to Casper we'll stop for the night. One room, two beds. Pick a nice place."

Ayla said, "That doesn't help me. I still don't know."

"What do you want to have her thinking?"

"About staying in Hot Springs. I don't want to go back to Provo. I don't want to be with my Dad."

"He is you Dad."

"No! He's the man that knocked up Mom, but he's never been Dad to us or much of a husband to her."

"Aren't they divorced?"

"They divorced years ago. We moved to Provo and a year later Mom came home from work and he was sitting on our front porch. He was really nice for a few months and she let him move in. A month later he beat the hell out of her and she spent a week in the hospital. She told everyone she had fallen down the stairs."

"She didn't toss him out?"

"Couldn't. He said he'd hurt us if she tried. It's been hell ever since."

"Where is he now?"

"In our apartment in Provo. He told us to be back in a week. He also said we have to get jobs. No more school."

"Just don't go back."

"He knows where grandpa's house is in Hot Springs. He'll be here in three days and Mom will be dead."

"In Provo, huh?"

"Yup."

"Find some paper in the glove box. Write down his name and the address where he's living."

As she did it she asked, "Why?"

"You really don't want to know."

She got it written and I asked, "Does he do drugs?"

"Yes! He offered me some a couple of times."

"Ok. My cell phone is in that bag." I pointed. "Find it for me, please."

She found it and I had her turn it on, then speed dial the second number on the list. I took the phone from her.

"Jack? It's Pete. I need a favor. There is a guy living in an apartment that isn't his, in your town." I gave him what I knew. He thanked me and said he had my cell number, he'd call back later.

When I hung up Ayla asked, "Who's Jack?"

"My younger brother."

"He lives in Provo?"

"No, but he works there. He's a cop."

"Oh my God! He'll arrest Dad and he'll go to jail!"

"No, he'll go to prison. There is no excuse for beating a woman or threatening her daughters. He'll be arrested for drugs and maybe attacking a police officer. Maybe, he'll also be trespassing."

"He deserves it."

I figured when we stopped Ayla would tell Crystal and Teri what had been done. She didn't say a thing. When we walked back to our vehicles my cell rang. I answered. It was Jack and he was laughing.

"He was having a party in the apartment. Three plain clothes officers walked in through an open door and were offered coke, speed and heroin. Five arrests and a total of half a kilo of coke on the coffee table. He'll get twenty-five to life, easy."

"Do me another favor? Cancel the lease on that apartment and get the landlord to forgive any rent owed."

"Not a problem, brother. How did you know all this?"

"For now, let's just say I had a dream. I'll tell you the story after he's in prison."

"Ok."

I folded the phone and looked. Ayla was crying. Crystal and Teri were looking bewildered.

"There was a drug party in your old apartment. Five men were arrested. They had half a kilo of coke in the apartment. They are in custody and will be in prison for many, many years. Your lease is over and paid in full."

Crystal had tears running down her face. "I just have one question?"

"Yes?"

"Where's your cape?"

I laughed. She explained it to her girls.

Then I got what I deserved. I got three kisses.

We stayed in Casper. I sent Crystal in to get us a room. The girls and I unloaded the truck and rolled the luggage cart into the hotel. She had gotten room 312. She asked if I minded being in another room 312. It had become her favorite room number. I said it was fine.

When she opened the room I looked and didn't see any beds. Two couches, a coffee table and a cabinet with a big TV in it. She walked past the couches and opened a door. "Girls, this is your room."

She turned and walked across the room and opened another door, "Pete, this is your room."

The girls cheered and grabbed their things from the luggage cart. I pushed the cart to the other bedroom. As I entered she said, "Same price as the room you had in Rock Springs. Ok?"

"Price is great, but where are you sleeping?"

"If I don't get a better offer, the couches make into beds."

"Well, your stuff is already in here, you might as well stay too."

"Oh, Thank you, kind Sir."

"It'll cost you, however."

"I have very little money."

"Your job is to keep me warm all night."

"Oh, I think I can handle this job."

We put things away with the door open. The girls put their things away and joined us. I sent all three down for dinner and I called home.

"Well, are you in Dip Shit South Dakota yet?"

"No Hello? No how are you?"

"No. Are you there? Is the funeral tomorrow?"

"I'd like to ask you a question. I don't want an answer tonight. I'll call back tomorrow night for the answer."

"What is the question?"

"What would it cost me for you to divorce me?"

"What?" She screamed.

When she stopped screaming I repeated the question.

"Are you serious? If I give you a divorce what will you do? You need me to take care of you, you old fool."

"I'll call back tomorrow and get your answer." I shut the phone off and went to dinner.

The food was pretty good. I had a salad and a baked potato. The girls were on dessert when I arrived. Crystal had waited. When Teri and Ayla were finished with dessert I gave them a room key and sent them to look around the grounds and hotel. We ate dinner and talked.

By eleven we were all in bed and asleep. I had locked our bedroom door.

We had a four hour drive in the morning. We called the mortuary and made sure everything would be ready for us, late that afternoon.

The funeral was at four. We went to "grandpa's house" and changed. I wore my best suit (only suit). All three women wore black. I carried extra tissues in my pockets, in case there was a facial leak in one or more of the ladies.

We went to the funeral in Crystal's car. There were lots of people waiting for us. Tank had loads of friends, business associates and a few heart broken ladies. His coffin was draped with an American flag. The Army color guard was there. I was asked if I wanted to be one of the pall bearers. The answer was yes.

The service was short. The mayor spoke. A minister spoke. A lady spoke. The minister running the show asked Crystal if she would speak. She pointed at me.

I got to the stand and looked at the people gathered. I knew Crystal, Ayla and Teri . I said, "My name is Peterson. Forty years ago Tank and some of my other best friends were in a jungle a long ways from South Dakota."

The mayor said, "You're Re-Pete?" I nodded. Other heads nodded in recognition of my name.

"Tank saved my life more than once. He still has a round in his shoulder that was aimed at me. Growing up I had no brothers. The U.S. Army gave me four. All five of us came back from the war, alive. Over the years cancer got two of my brothers, a car accident got another one and an angry husband killed one. I'm all that's left. You know what kind of man Tank was. I will miss him every day I have left. I loved him. He leaves behind a daughter, Crystal and two grand-daughters. I tell all of you I am here, alive, and make this commitment to them and to all of you: My life is about having their lives work for them." I let go of the pulpit and went back to my seat.

The honor guard led us out. Tank must have lost some weight before he died. He was not as heavy as I anticipated. About thirty cars followed the hearse to the cemetery. At the cemetery the minister said a prayer and the color guard played taps. The crowd slowly dispersed except for one woman in a grey business suit. She carried a briefcase and my guess was that she was a lawyer.

She stood in front of Crystal and introduced herself.

"I hate bothering you right now, but it's important. There is the matter of your father's will. I'm Alex Keys, Tank's lawyer."

"I didn't know he had one." Crystal said.

"He did. It took us a while to write the will. What it means is that he put some conditions on the will. Are you married?"

"No."

"Does your ex-husband live with you?"

"No. He was arrested yesterday for possession with intent to sell."

She turned to me and asked for my full name. I told her and she wanted to see my driver's license. She saw it.

"Mr. Peterson, you inherit all of Tanks property except the house and land it sits on. His business, stocks, bonds, investments are yours as soon as you sign some papers. Crystal, the house and land are yours."

She gave each of us a large brown envelope, shook our hands, told us how to contact her if we needed to, and when I was ready to sign the papers, then she left us.

Crystal didn't open the envelope. Neither did I. We sat on the folding chairs and held hands for a few minutes. Ayla ended that by saying, "I need to go. Can we go home now?"

We got up and went back to Crystal's home. I went into Tank's bedroom. There were two envelopes on the chest of drawers. One for Crystal and the girls and one for me. I opened mine.

Re-Pete, I know I'm dying. I can feel it coming. So, there's a couple things I need to say to you.

I'm leaving everything to you, except the house. I trust you to take care of Crystal and her girls. I couldn't leave the rest to her, her ex would show up and take it away from her and probably hurt them in the process. This is a tough thing to do to you, burden you with three women to care for, but I have no one else to trust and you can take care of yourself too. There's plenty of money.

Thanks, Tank

I wondered how much. I found the lawyer's number and called her. She answered after the first ring.

"I need a ball park estimate of how much the estate is worth. I need to make some plans for the four of us."

"In the envelope you'll find two VISA cards. They both have ten thousand dollar daily limits on them. You could use both cards every day to their limits for the rest of this year before it'd start to be a problem. You're liquid to about eight million, there's about eight more in stocks and treasury bills. The business nets you about ten thousand a month."