Tara

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay..."

"So, I'm looking for more crew," Nyx said. "I've got so many ideas in my head. So many things I want to build and do, but I can't do them all on my own anymore. I need help. I need someone like you, Tara. You and I... if we work together, we can do some amazing things. We can bring some new advances that change the lives of everyone in the universe."

Tara realized her mouth was hanging open and clamped it shut.

"But there's a dark side to this moon," Nyx added. "Some things we have to keep for ourselves. The universe won't be ready for everything we do... I know that sounds horribly arrogant, but you have to trust me. If you agree to come with me, I can share more with you. I've discovered things... terrible things. They almost killed me and, I think, all life in the universe."

Only the deadly serious intensity in Nyx's eyes stopped Tara from laughing at the claim. "You're serious?"

"Well, all currently discovered sentient life, at least," Nyx amended.

"Oh my... how? Oh, you can't tell me," Tara said.

Nyx smiled apologetically. "Not unless you join me... and I need to trust you before I can do that. You're a beautiful young woman and I really want to trust you. I think I can... but I have to be absolutely certain."

"Wow," Tara said. "I... I can't... I mean, I have my research. And I have Chelzee... well... sort of."

Nyx frowned. "Chelzee?"

Tara sighed. "She's my roommate... and my ex."

"Oh. That sounds complicated."

Tara chuckled. "You have no idea. She's Bregan though, so we can't have a long term relationship... I broke it off but she has nowhere to go until she finishes her degree. That's only a few months away though, but I can't just abandon her. She can't afford the apartment we live in. Not until she gets a job, at least, and I've been helping her focus on her studies."

"You really care about her, don't you?"

"I love her," Tara said without hesitation. "We can't, you know... but still, I won't turn my back on her."

Nyx nodded and muttered. "Fuck."

"I'm sorry," Tara squeaked. "I mean, what you're saying sounds exciting and amazing and I'd love to see what you're talking about. I think it could be the solution I've been looking for and yes, that would open up so many possibilities!"

"It would," Nyx said. "I'm positive. I respect your feelings though. I don't have any specific plans after my upgrade at Titan, maybe if I come back this way I could check in with you? Assuming I haven't found somebody else, that is."

Tara's chest filled with hope and then it was crushed out of her like the gravity had been turned up by several Gs. She wasn't all that special and she knew it. Nyx could find anybody to do what she was doing. If she passed up on this chance now...

"Darn it!" Tara almost cursed.

Nyx raised an eyebrow.

"I want to do this but I can't screw her over!" Tara explained. "How long are you here? Maybe I can help her speed up her job search or something. Most of the company's she's interested in honestly won't even look at her right yet, but there's one that is just starting up. It's unproven and they might be willing to take a gamble on someone still in school."

Nyx leaned forward. "Oh yeah, what is it?"

"Reclos Systems," Tara said. "They—"

Nyx's laugh shut Tara down and made her blush.

"What? You know them?"

Nyx smiled. "Yes, I know them. They're using my technology I developed."

Tara's eyes widened. "The energy field for lossless water reclamation?"

"That's the one."

Tara stared at her for a long moment before she could pull her shocked thoughts together. "So it really works?"

"I've got my prototype on my ship. Want to come and see it?" Nyx asked.

Tara chin almost hit her chest she nodded so fast.

"If you like it, I'll build on in your cabin too."

Tara gasped. "But I didn't—"

"Sweetie, I'll make some calls. If your ex wants that job, I'll make sure she gets it."

Tara stared at Nyx as the woman stood up. "Are you like super rich or something?"

Nyx chuckled. "No, far from it... but I'm planning on it."

"This is... is this really happening? It's not a dream?"

"I've asked myself that a lot lately," Nyx admitted. "If it was, it was a nightmare for me... but it's finally coming around. I don't think dreams work like that."

"Not usually," Tara admitted while standing up and joining Nyx.

"Whatever you decide, thank you," Nyx said as they walked out of the food court and down the space station hallway. "This trip was hard. I... well, I don't want to talk about that. Not yet. Thank you though, you've helped me turn it around. I was in a dark place until you stopped by."

Tara blushed. "Right place, right time, I guess."

Nyx smiled. "You forgot the most important part of the equation."

"What?"

Nyx winked at her and said, "Right girl."