Teaching Her a Lesson Pt. 30

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Since there was no name attached to the contact, I asked Isa who it was. She acted like she didn't know. Acted badly, I might add. So I did the logical thing and gave them a call. I'd say you'll never guess who answered, but I'm sure you know exactly whom."

"I don't have the slightest--"

"She was confused, hearing a man's voice coming from Isa's phone, but I managed to get a name out of her before she hung up. A first name, at least, though that was plenty. The call seemed to really freak Shantel out for some reason."

The car beside us pulled out. I broadened my stance. Right now, with that look of consternation on Taylor's smug face, it felt like my ego needed a whole parking space. "You dosed her, didn't you."

The young woman merely glared sullenly. It was as much confirmation as I'd gotten when I pressed Isa on it, but that too had been sufficient. "Makes sense. With a trained chemist on your side -- one who works in a drug analysis lab, with access to all the contaminants she'd need to replicate my mutated Serenex, one whom you thought I'd never encounter or question, so you could keep marching to your twisted Emersonian drummer. Even if the woman found a way around your control -- which I doubt you'd give her -- she'd think to go after Isa, and no way that submissive little bitch was going to rat you out. Hell, you probably even had Abbie handle that, scapegoat for life."

"Almost out of the good stuff, so you move heaven and earth to get your hands on more. You make all these big plans for a grandiose gesture to impress your new boyfriend, mind-fucking the entire faculty and staff just so you and I can hook up in the classroom without anyone getting nosy." I shook my head. "Or something. It's so insidious and fucked up I can't even begin to fathom what you were thinking when you did it. But I spoke with a dozen of my coworkers today at the rehearsal, and every last one parroted that same 'excellent teacher, lucky to have you' bullshit. By then, I was checking out that other thing, too -- what Randi said about how whatever I do is for the best, nobody's business. Again, there it was. Horen, too, once I cornered her."

"Maybe they were just..." But she didn't have any excuses left.

"Maybe nothing. Mrs. Meaden retired, effective Friday, so I flat-out asked her if she'd heard about the flashing incident. She said she had. So I asked, 'and what if I told you the girls were in there waiting to have sex with me?' I'll give you three goddamn guesses what her answer was."

Taylor had been so certain she'd gotten away with it all, she was stunned speechless. I had her on the ropes, and pressed the attack. "You had Candy get them at the faculty meeting, the one to explain my absence the week before finals. Was that it? That's the only timing that makes sense to me. If you already had Horen, and I can only assume that you did, it's the easiest way. Lure in the bulk of the faculty, then send Isa after any stragglers and the shirkers who missed the meeting. Twenty-four hours, and the whole faculty was corrupted, thanks to you.

"Oh, and I found out about Shipman. Got to him, too, huh? I couldn't get anything out of Isa about whether she dosed him after he was called in on my case, or if that whole getting fired and investigated by the cops thing was one big stunt you set up before it even happened. Either way, fuck you for that, too. On behalf of both of us."

"I... It was..."

A few tiny droplets started to fall on us. "Was that why you stormed in the other day, tried to get me to fuck you with Horen roaming the halls on the warpath? Because you knew full well you could get away with it, and wanted my help looking for the boundaries of your bottomless ego? Because you wanted to show off how completely, utterly, remorselessly self-important you can be? Because you thought it would be funny?"

"It's notnot funny..."

"Why, Taylor? Just... why? Help me understand what motivated this. Tell me--"

The band, on hand to play "Pomp and Circumstance" for the ceremony, was the last out of the football field gates, shuffling along with their instruments in the direction of the band hallway entrance. Some kid with a trombone gave a look at Taylor, half-uncovered tits gleaming from the wetness, and played what I could only interpret as a wolf whistle. I gave him a hard look and he darted away giggling.

"Actually, you know what? Screw the explanations. I don't care any more. Christ, Taylor. Do you have any idea what kind of damage you could have cause? Still might cause, frankly. I don't know if you've noticed, but this stuff has an uncanny way of blowing up in your face the first chance it gets. I can't even begin to imagine the ways this might have gone to hell."

"But it didn't. Unlike you, I went in with a plan. The planworked."

"Don't think that the potential catastrophe is my sole objection, Taylor. I only point it out because god only knows how many more gallons of that crap you have back home, and whatever other casual cruelty you might plan. Or use on a whim, for that matter."

"I don't have much -- and Idon't use it on a whim. I'm not stupid."

I closed my eyes for a moment, and let out a long sigh that built up almost instantly. "I know you're not stupid. As a matter of fact, Taylor, I think you're brilliant. And you're beautiful. And you're cunning as hell, and I should clarify that you may be the only person I have ever met for whom I mean that distinction as a compliment."

A tiny smile threatened at the corners of her mouth, so I pounced before it could spread. "You're also ruthless, egotistical, thoughtless, and cruel. Youfrighten me, Taylor. Do you realize that? I care about you -- more than I've ever told you, more than I've ever cared about most people." That was a realization I was having even as I said it. "But I am genuinely frightened by the lack of compunction you have exhibited."

Her eyes glistened. "You're afraid of me?"

"Yes. I was worried about you -- and I still am -- but after what I've learned these past few days, I am more worried about what you might do."

The parking lot had quieted down. By now, almost everyone had either moved inside for the diploma dispersal, or gotten in their cars and headed home. Good timing, too, because it was then that the weather forecast failed altogether. Raindrops began to fall, pinging off the cars of the lot, sprinkling onto student and teacher alike.

She didn't flinch though. "So, what, you gonna follow me home, force me to get rid of the rest of it? Because there's barely any left."

"I'd be an idiot to take your word for it after everything I've learned, but regardless, no. I'd be a bigger idiot to think I was going to get somewhere by forcing Taylor Stern to do anything."

"But you said you were afraid."

"I am. Which is why I hope you'll do the right thing and get rid of that stuff. You have more than enough to make it on your own in the world, Taylor. You don't need that junk. Whatever you've gained from it, it's cost you more. You lost out on a diploma you spent thirteen years pursuing. You lost your parents' trust. Your sister's. Mine."

She forced a sneer, but it didn't reach her eyes. "Big deal, so my English teacher hates me now. I mean, what happened to your big speech from the other day about how as a teacher you want what's best for your students, huh?"

"Taylor, I do not hate you. Maybe I did once, though don't insult me by pretending it wasn't mutual. I..." No. I cut myself short. "I don't know, maybe I could have loved you, even. Maybe. I loved being with you, at least. Regardless, I don't give two craps whether you think that the teacher-student factor diminishes the sentiment or not. It doesn't to me. I got into this whole stupid mess because of that feeling, and once I started, and I saw you as something other than a bratty little vixen, I couldn't resist going further."

The rain held itself to a mere drizzle, as if it worried about being seen as rude for interrupting. "I still want you to do well and find some peace and happiness for yourself. You don't have to be Ralph Waldo Emerson to see that you're not going to find it in that canister. I'm not going to try to force you to do anything. Lesson learned on that one, believe me. Just think about it, and make your own decision. That's all I ever ask."

After a moment, she wiped away a sheen of moisture from her forehead. "You ask a fuck of a lot more than that, C-dawg."

I let myself smile. "I wouldn't be much of a teacher if I didn't."

At last, she stepped out from in front of my car door. "C'mon, let's go inside. My friends are waiting for me, and I'm sure your fallback bitches are waiting for you."

They weren't, but I had planned on going in anyway. I wouldn't have even gone to my car if I hadn't seen her standing there. Perhaps it was selfish of me, but graduation was one of those days that simply felt good to be a teacher. It would do my soul good to expose it to the joy of my former students, especially after what I'd just put it through.

Taylor and I walked inside together. If anyone thought it strange, a young, single teacher walking side by side with a dropout in a sopping wet bikini top, I didn't care. Hell, thanks to her, my colleagues would think nothing of it, and all of her classmates were about to leave for good, and had bigger things on their minds, besides. Inside, there was a buzz of excitement, jubilant noise streaming from the fieldhouse doors ahead. As we reached them, however, Taylor stopped me with a hand on my wrist. I paused.

"You know, it's a damn shame we hated each other before we liked each other. We might've done good, ya know."

"Maybe so."

"Guess you can't reboot shit in the middle of it, though."

"No, you sure can't."

Her head tilted to the side. "You sure you don't want your present?"

"You mean the present isn't a work place where none of my coworkers or superiors can find any fault with anything I do?" Not exactly what I'd had on my wish list. Honestly, I'd thought it would be that, or else a quick fuck in the backseat of my car. It would have been tempting. There really was no substitute for her.

"Nah. This is... well, let's just say it's not for pussies."

"You're not going to reverse psychology me into it, Taylor. I am not a pussy, but I'm not an idiot, either."

She laughed. "Tell you what. I'ma leave you be. For good and all. Maybe think about some shit. Maybe read some more Emerson." She smiled, and though her voice hinted at sarcasm, her eyes bespoke something else. "You decide you want it, talk to Tabitha. She'll hook you up."

"How long do I have to decide?" I asked, perplexed.

"It's time-sensitive, you could say."

"Meaning...? Come on, at least give me a hint."

"I already gave you the hint. Your ass seems pretty good at figuring out shit, anyway."

Cryptic. Nothing to be done for it, though. "All right. You have fun with your friends, Taylor. I suppose we'll probably see one another around."

"Yeah, if you're gonna keep fucking my sister," she said as we stepped aside to let Mrs. Pedretti past us. The words were said at full volume, mere feet from the passing parental volunteer; the woman simply kept walking, even as I sheepishly answered that I likely would. If the woman was offended at my admission, she gave no sign of it.

God, that girl.

"All right. Well... I guess see you later, asshole."

"Later, bitch."

She smiled, but the melancholy in her eyes was the same as I felt in my own heart. Breakups were shitty, regardless of the circumstances. For almost two years, I'd looked forward to the day when I'd stop having to see Taylor goddamn Stern five days a week. Now, I was sorry to see her go.

I was hopeful, however. I hoped she'd reflect on what I'd said. I hoped she'd figure out what she wanted to do with herself, or at least find something to bring her a little joy and satisfaction. I hoped she'd set down all that bitterness and fear she carried on her shoulders.

Ireally hoped I didn't need to take action to stop her.

Somehow, though, I didn't think I would.

I gave Taylor a headstart into the fieldhouse. Once I entered, it was a fracas of tearful goodbyes, farewell selfies, proud stares at hard-earned diplomas. This would be a day many of them would remember forever. Now that it wasreal, no longer the foreshadowed event of the rehearsal but the tangible fact of having graduated, students thronged their old English teacher. Megan approached me with Cassie, the three of us letting Cassie's grandmother take a picture. As we posed, Megan murmured out of the corner of her mouth.

"My mom's fine watching Robby tonight; told her I had to work a night shift. Got room for one more?" Somehow, her smile never faltered. The woman ought to be a ventriloquist.

"Ask Cassie about the dress code," I muttered back.

"You think I got her that outfit without splurging on myself?"

Later, when Cassie tagged me in the photo after uploading it to her instagram, I'd shake my head at the look on my face after Megan grabbed my ass a split second before her mother hit the button.

I posed for pictures, congratulated elated students and proud parents, stashed still more open house invites. None were so alluring as the one for next weekend, with its promise of a bedroom tour. The young woman who had made that offer sought me out before long as well.

"Hey, Mr. Canon. Have you met my father?" She gestured to the man beside her, a dauntingly attractive man of delicate features but hard eyes. Beside him stood a woman that I would have recognized as a trophy wife without having heard a single word about her. Tabitha's stepmother, the second Mrs. Hutchings, was a slender Asian woman who looked like she was a good deal closer to her stepdaughter's age than her husband's. Close to my own, if I had to guess. Mrs. Hutchings was intensely beautiful, and she wore an expression that was unimpeachably gracious yet simultaneously revealing intense disinterest in the proceedings.

Her father extended a hand.

"Mr. Hutchings! Good to meet you. I'm--"

"Say no more, Mr. Canon. My daughter's told me all about you. Said you're her favorite teacher. She wasn't too much trouble, I hope?"

"Far from it. 'Pleasure to have in class,' as I'm sure you've heard a thousand times over the years."

"Yes, well, let me say I had my doubts about letting her attend public school, but you people run a tight ship here, Canon. By all accounts you've done fine work with my Tabitha. You're to be commended."

By sheer chance, Amy was walking past in that moment. Recognizing Tabitha from her own honors level junior English, she leaned in to add, "Mr. Canon is an excellent teacher. We're lucky to have him."

I managed not to choke on my tongue. Tabitha spared me from trying to reply to that, thankfully. "Daddy, if it's all right, I'd like to stay here and hang out with my friends for a while."

He smiled indulgently, the look of a man pleased with himself for having sired something so pleasing. "Of course, princess. Be home in time for dinner. Understood?"

"Yes, sir."

He bent in to plant the briefest of kisses on her forehead, and with a magnanimous parting nod to me, gathered up his wife and made for the door with a bit more haste than was seemly.

"Sorry about that," she said. "And sorry about this, too, but... well, you know how it is. Taylor said to remind you about the present? If you're interested."

"I suppose you're not going to give me a hint either."

Tabitha shook her head. "She told me not to. Even if I did, it would probably only... yeesh, that was almost a hint. Sorry. Though she did ask me to pass along a message. Hang on." She fidgeted inside her graduation gown until she came out with her phone. Thumbing through texts, she seemed to find what she was looking for.

"She writes, 'I got this for him back when it still made sense to get it for him. Then we broke up and fuck knows I ain't got no use for it. Was finna just leave and never tell him...'" Tabitha wrinkled her noise. "Ugh, no wonder she flunked out. Anyway, she says, 'I appreciate what he said, so fine, what the fuck ever, if he wants it, it's his.' Except she used its, not it's."

I waited for a moment. "That's it? She didn't say what it is?"

"Do you want it?"

My eyes narrowed. "Do I?"

"I don't know, Mr. Canon. All I know is if you do, I have more instructions."

I sighed. Here's hoping it was a fruit basket or a gift card and not the deed to Mrs. Horen's house. "Oh, good god. Fine. I'll take it."

"You got it." Like that, Tabitha was back on her phone, thumbs tapping hastily at keys.

I didn't bother to hide that I was reading over her shoulder.He says he'll take it. The recipient, according to the contact name at the top of the page, wasBitch, Stupid.

"Taylor, huh. Does she know you have her saved like that?"

She shook her head and pulled up another contact. "No, that's not Taylor, and no, she doesn't know.This is Taylor."Bitch, Boss. "If I enter them like that with the commas, they stay side by side. Convenient."

"Dare I ask what you have me saved as?"

She smiled, scrolling down through her contacts and finally tapping on one and holding it up to me.Free Tutoring Service. "In case anyone snoops, I didn't want them to find an entry for 'Guy Who Spanks Me Until I Come.'"

Thank goodness everyone else was wrapped up in the moment and not paying attention to us. "I approve."

The phone buzzed with the reply from Stupid Bitch. (Inwardly, I felt a bit guilty that I didn't know whether that referred to Abbie or Cassie. Tabitha was not someone whose estimations of others' intelligence was known to be charitable.)

tell him 2 go 2 his room, it read. Abbie, then. Cassie at least used words and capital letters. Hell, it automatically capitalized; Abbie just didn't like to be told how to punctuate.

"My classroom?"

Tabitha nodded. "I believe so, yes."

There was a problem with that, though. "Uh, I don't have my keys any more. I can't get in there. I'm not sure I could have gotten through all those doors and gates when I did. Horen doesn't place a lot of faith in us not to burgle the place, I guess."

Tabitha texted as much while I paused to greet another student, Dan Rietty, and his parents. "Mr. Canon's a good teacher," he told them. "I really liked some of the questions on your final, by the way," he added back in my direction.

I'd never felt so relieved to be demoted from excellent to merely good. "I'm glad. You had some sharp answers, too, Dan. I'm proud of you." I did not, in fact, remember Dan's answers, but he was here diploma in hand, so he must have done well enough.

Dan's family moved on. Abbie's reply was already waiting. "She says it's open?" The girl shrugged.

I sighed. I'd already said yes. Why the hell not.

Sure enough, the way was clear. Gates unfastened, doors unlocked. Taylor had once made a glib admission that she'd made copies of my house keys -- which I was only now realizing I might need to have my locks changed -- so I could only assume she'd done the same to Randi or Mrs. Horen and their keys to the school.

"So you and Taylor broke things off?" Tabitha asked quietly at my side. Not that there was anyone around. She could have screamed it and no one would have heard.

"Word gets around, it seems." I shrugged. "But yes. I told her I'd had enough. Twice, actually."

She didn't reply, but even in the farthest corner of my field of vision, the broad smile plastered on her face was unmistakable. "Schadenfreude?" I asked.

"No, just... it'll be better without her.We'll be better without her. I'll learn more. Get more playing time, too. Don't construe this as my having self-esteem issues, but she's, um, a lot of competition."