Teresa's Christmas Finale Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh my..." Callie whispered as Cindy took little box and opened it. It was a beautiful diamond engagement ring.

"So..." said Cindy, "I don't know if you prefer Coca-Cola, but I do know I'd prefer spending the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?"

"Oh!" Callie said, her hand to her mouth. "Yes, of course! Yes!" Cindy put the ring on Callie's finger and they hugged tightly.

"Well," Callie said, bringing out her small package for Cindy. "I didn't think about the Coca-Cola." Cindy opened the wrapping. It was a diamond engagement right... exactly like the one Cindy had gotten for Callie.

"You and your Coca-Cola beat me to the punch." Callie said. "But will you marry me anyway?"

"Of course!" Cindy said, tears spilling from her eyes. She and Callie hugged again. They'd be caught kissing in the kitchen a few moments later.

"Daddy," whispered Carole to me, "aren't boys supposed to give girls rings like that? Like the ring you gave Mommy?"

"We'll talk about that later... a long time later." I said. I had no desire to discuss marital political issues with a four-year-old right now. Fortunately, Carole's attention was quickly diverted elsewhere, and her six-second attention span to the engagement rings expired.

Part 12 - One Of Them

Late that afternoon, I excused myself to do two things. First, I went around to the Precincts and to Headquarters. I went every Christmas, greeting the Officers on duty and thanking them for working on this Holiday. On this particular day I was asked a lot about Teresa and Carol, and was given a lot of well wishes myself.

Then I went to the Hospital. When I got there, Todd was there as well as Lt. Irwin. I'd given a general order to all Officers to not visit Teresa and let her rest and heal up. Lt. Irwin was an exception (as was Cindy), and he knew it.

Also in the room was Dr. Morgan. "Okay, Teresa, everything looks good. I'm going to take the breathing tube out." He did so. As soon as it was out and the machine turned off, he began doing the stethoscope-thing, listening to her heart and lungs as he said "Breathe... deeper... deeper." I realized this was mostly to get Teresa breathing again, as painful as it was.

"How do you feel?" Dr. Morgan asked.

"It hurts to breathe too hard." said Teresa.

"Well, the nurse will be in every hour, making you breathe deep breaths." said Dr. Morgan. "You need to do this for your lung to heal, even if it hurts."

"What is pain," said Teresa, looking at me, "but a privilege for a Clan Troy member to bear." I smiled at that one. I also noticed that, like me after my back surgery, Teresa was refusing morphine.

"It doesn't hurt that much." she said to us later, after the doctor had left. "It feels kind of numb."

"Well, don't try to win the Police Boxing Matches this week." I said. "Let yourself heal up. You know the drill... Miss Silver Oak Leaf." Teresa's eyes cut to me and she peered at me, knowing what I was saying... this would be her sixth Purple Order, matched only by Joe Smedley... and it meant a silver oak leaf cluster on her Purple Order medal.

"Back to the necklace, huh?" Teresa asked. One oak leaf (or none) meant the Purple Order was worn around the neck, which applied for the silver oak leaf cluster.

"Let's worry about that later." I said. "I shouldn't have mentioned it. Anyway, you get some rest and work on getting out of here. Buddy is missing you."

"Awww." said Teresa. "I miss Buddy, too. Oh, Commander?"

"Yes?"

"I... " she started, then said "when I ran for Carole, I had a thousand-stitch belt on. It was a gift from Todd. Did anyone find it?"

"I'll have to check." I said. "We'll see if the evidence collection people found it. But it could've been blown a mile away, too." Teresa nodded, looking disappointed.

Yes, I still had it in my coat pocket. And I would return it... at a more appropriate time...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 8:00pm, University Hospital was subjected to noise pollution. It was caused by a large number of children from the Girls Orphanage escorting children from the Cancer Center, many in wheelchairs.

"What is going on?"exclaimed the head nurse as the elevators opened and children flew down the hallway to the room near the ICU... Teresa's room. "You kids need to get back to your own beds!"

"It's okay, Nurse." said the Hospital Administrator. Admiral Cordell was beaming as he followed them down the hallway, himself followed by a tall redhead with a red crowbar...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Teresa was dozing, as was Todd, when the door flew open. Children began pouring in. They took their places around Teresa's bed. They knew Teresa had beaten cancer, that Teresa had saved a child... and that Teresa had brought Bowser to visit them one day. She was one of them, and they were here for a special concert.

One girl, about fifteen years old, named Alice, was a cancer patient fighting leukemia. She had been playing the violin since she was six years old, and she did not let cancer stop the music from flowing from her heart to the world through that violin. Another boy, about the same age, a redhead that looked like Olympic halfpipe champion Shaun White, but whose name was Tommy, had an electric guitar and a small amplifier. He was beating cancer; he'd soon be going home.

Teresa watched as they got ready and then they sang to her. They sang with everything their voices and their souls had. Their finale was Pachelbel's Canon, as performed by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Teresa smiled through her tears as they all held her hands and arms and sang:

This night, we pray

Our lives, will show

This dream, he had

Each child, still knows

This night, we pray

Our lives, will show

This dream, he had

Each child, still knows

This night, we pray (Weeeee... are... waiiiiiii...ting)

Our lives, will show

This dream, he had (Weeeee have... not for-got-ten...)

Each child, still knows

Weeeee (on this night, on this night, on this very Christmas night)

are... waiiii... ting (on this night, on this night, on this very Christmas night)

We... have... not for-got-ten... (on this night, on this night...)

On this very Christmas niiiiigggttt...

A joyful noise, indeed...

Part 13 - The Day After

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" yelled the lovely redheaded reporterette on Tuesday, December 26th, at 7:00am, from in front of the ruins of Ward Harvester. "Just two days ago, this was the scene of a horrific crime turned Christmas miracle! Now the Police are on an intense manhunt for Thomas P. Cook, one of the instigators of the kidnapping of Carole Troy and the destruction of the Ward Harvester warehouse."

Bettina started "Police Captain Teresa Croyle is recovering at University Hospital after being wounded as she saved young Carole Troy from certain death! According to Police Commander Donald Troy, Carole's father, Captain Croyle was able to get herself and Carole into a deep maintenance pit, which shielded them from the enormous blast."

Bettina: "Both University and military experts believe that the amount of explosives that detonated were more than the amount that destroyed the Murrow Building in Oklahoma City in 1995. Several buildings in the area were destroyed or badly damaged, but due to the fast action of the Town & County Police Force in evacuating everyone and enforcing a quarantine zone around the building, no one else was killed nor seriously injured. Commander Troy said that it was indeed a Christmas miracle, and he is grateful to Captain Croyle as well as the entire TCPD for their professionalism in handling the crisis."

"Now the Police are searching for Thomas P. Cook, and the manhunt has gone nationwide." said Bettina. "Mr. Cook was added to the FBI's Top Ten Most Wanted List a few hours ago, according to FBI Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone. Though everyone is appalled at the crime that was committed on Christmas Eve, Social Justice groups are demanding that Commander Troy recuse himself from the search and take a leave of absence from the Police Force, citing his overeager willingness to use lethal force in arrest situations. Jay Swenson of the Citizens for Police Accountability stated that Thomas Cook's life and safety are in danger if Commander Troy finds him first."

"And last," said Bettina, "the girls that were injured on December 23d when a vehicle belonging to Billy Russell, son of U.S. Senator Samuel Russell, slammed into them, have all been released from the hospital. The driver of the vehicle as well as one woman in Mr. Russell's car are still hospitalized. Russell was charged with felony drunk driving, felony resisting arrest, felony assaulting a Police Officer, and causing the accident that injured several orphanage girls. Ironically, it was Captain Teresa Croyle that went into that overturned bus and brought out injured children, while Commander Troy personally made the arrest despite being physically assaulted by Mr. Russell..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The coffee klatch was a beehive of chatter. I actually got there first and made pots of coffee, then made more pots of coffee. Cindy came in next with boxes of doughnuts, and then Joanne brought in more boxes of doughnuts... and they did not last long as the MCD room filled up with people.

After Bettina's broadcast, it was Joanne Warner who said "That's the Press for you... trying to gin up trouble about the Commander."

"All I'm gonna say," said Rudistan, "is that Cook would have a better chance with Commander Troy than he would with me." There was a lot of acclaim for that.

"Guys," I said, "let's not even joke about things like that. We are going to find Thomas Cook and arrest him. He is not to be abused or mistreated during his arrest or incarceration. Having said that... it would indeed be most very good if y'all find him before I do... just so the Press can't claim I beat him up or something. Nuff said on that."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Priya Ajmani, Five-Alive News in the Morning!" said the lovely Indian reporterette at 8:00am, reporting from in front of City Hall. Cindy looked very happy to see the beautiful Indian woman back on the air. "Five-Alive News is bringing you continuing coverage of the miraculous rescue of little Carole Troy by Police Captain Teresa Croyle on Christmas Eve!..."

Not much difference in the newscasts, I noted as I watched in my office with Cindy. I strongly suspected John Hardwood was somehow involved with Thomas P. Cook, but otherwise wondered why he wasn't on the air.

The answer would come less than an hour later, when I was told by the Duty Desk that Priya Ajmani and her editor, Dan Walther, wanted to see me, the Chief, Paulina Patterson, and our 'data specialist'. I called Myron, who met me and the Chief in the Main Conference Room. Then the Duty Desk Sergeant brought Priya and Walther down, along with one of their technicians.

"We are relieved that your daughter survived and is doing well." started Walther. "And we hope Captain Croyle will recover completely, and soon. The reason we're here is because Ms. Ajmani and others insisted that I bring something to your attention. You may have noticed that John Hardwood was not doing our morning report. That is because I fired him on Christmas Eve."

Walther then had the technician hand Myron some jump drives. Myron went through them, recording them into evidence servers as we watched. What we saw was totally stunning.

There was film footage of Cook setting up the pallets of ammonium nitrate in the warehouse. There was film footage of Cook talking about how they were going to kidnap Carole and put her on the chair, so that she would die when the explosives detonated.

But more than that, it was clear that John Hardwood was doing the filming. Several times his voice could be heard saying things like "I can't wait to see Troy's face when his daughter dies in front of him." Hardwood also got in front of the camera, interviewing Cook about the Iron Crowbar relentlessly persecuting Cook, taking everything Cook had away from him based on trumped-up charges, and that now Troy was going to pay.

There was more. Several moments of footage taken at different times, from iPhones as well as Press cameras, all showing Hardwood saying he wanted to see Troy in pain. And then Hardwood's rant after the rescue, Hardwood's face contorted as he realized his insidious desire to see me in pain had been thwarted by an incredibly brave woman with the soul of a samurai.

When it was all done, all eyes were on me. "Thank you for sharing this with us." I said. "Myron, is that in the evidence servers?"

"Yes sir." said Myron.

"Paulina, can we get a warrant to keep this material, just to keep things tidy?" I said. "Oh, and a warrant for Hardwood's arrest as a conspirator to commit murder would be appreciated, as well..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Priya was getting an interview with Cindy in Cindy's office. I decided to do the noble thing, since KSTD had brought us this information. "Mr. Walther," I said, "you were in the United States Marines, were you not?"

"Yes, Commander." said Walther.

"Come with me." I said. I led him into the sanctum of my office. He looked around with avid fascination, then turned to where I was standing.

"This is the Eagle, Globe and Anchor that was Gunny Guernica's." I said, pointing to the framed black Marine insignia hanging on the wall. "The Marines gave it to me after we avenged Gunny Guernica's murder. This drawing was done by Gunny Guernica's son, and I just hope my ears aren't really that big." (Author's Note: 'Semper Fidelis'.)

"Oh, they are." said Walther, teasing me but also being accurate. "Yes, like all Marines, I am grateful to you for solving that crime." He looked sad for a moment, perhaps remembering a fellow U.S. Marine that was murdered in cold blood by dirty State Agents. He then said "Thank you for showing me this. Semper Fi, Commander."

"Airborne all the way." I replied.

Part 14 - Family Farewells

"Please don't goooo." Becca Larrington said, tears in her eyes. "You just got here. I just got you back."

"I know." said Goth Girl Kathy Larrington. "But I have to go. We've got work to do."

Becca was crying as she hugged her sister. "You'll come back soon, won't you?"

Kathy broke the hug and looked hard into her younger sister's eyes. "Becca, listen to me." she said. "What I'm doing is dangerous. I'm working with a smuggler, though what she's doing is more honorable than any real criminals would ever do. I can't talk about it, but it's dangerous stuff. And I'm helping the CIA still, sending them information on stuff we find out about our enemies, especially the Islamists in Europe."

"Becca," Kathy said, "I love doing what I'm doing, but it's dangerous. I don't know when I'll see you again, and I may never. Just always remember our good times growing up, and this Christmas we've had together."

"Will you... will you at least come to my wedding?" Becca asked, desperate to hold onto hope.

"If I can." said Kathy, knowing that wasn't likely. "But look, you've got a great man, there. He loves you, he worships you, he'll take care of you and your children. Devote yourself to your lives together and to your children. And if I get to visit again, I will."

"I don't want to lose you again." cried Becca as she hugged Kathy again.

"You won't." said Kathy. "You never will. I'm always with you, in Spirit if not in person. Just keep going with your life, the beautiful life you're going to have."

Kathy and her mother hugged goodbye. Nora was much more understanding, and more stoic as she hugged her daughter goodbye. She did not know what was going on, but she knew it was something good, and it was something Kathy fiercely wanted to do, and that was enough for Nora to accept.

Roy McGhillie escorted Kathy to the TCPD cruiser. "Where to?" he asked as he got in the driver's side.

"Courthouse Square." said Kathy. "Southside, by that bistro that serves the smelly vinegar sandwiches." Roy laughed and pulled out. Kathy looked up to see Becca on the porch, her face sad, waving goodbye, her mother behind her in the doorway. Kathy waved goodbye and then did not look back as the Police cruiser whisked her away from her childhood home...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Priya Ajmani, Five-Alive News, with breaking news!" the lovely Indian reporterette shouted as the newscast broke into the morning shows at 9:45 am. "Five-Alive News has learned that warrants have been issued for the arrest of former KSTD reporter John Hardwood! Hardwood has been implicated in Thomas P. Cook's plot to kill Carole Troy and possibly many Police Officers!"

"A statement from Police Chief Sean Moynahan stated that Hardwood and Cook apparently plotted, planned, orchestrated and executed their murderous plan solely to bring pain or death to Commander Donald Troy, whose work led to Cook's indictment. Evidence has been turned over to the Police that implicates Hardwood in the plot..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Ah shit," said Hardwood as he watched from the safehouse room with Thomas P. Cook, "they're onto me. I won't be able to help you any more, Thomas. You'll have to get out of here by your pre-planned method. I'll have to make a run for it, get out of State."

"No." said Cook. "I have a better way. I don't trust the people I paid to get me out of here and out of the country. So if you're willing to be a part of it, here's what we're going to do..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Not two blocks away, Kathy came into the rendezvous point, also a safehouse room. "What's going on?" she asked Elizabeth, who was watching on her iPad in the nearly barren room.

"I don't know." said Elizabeth. "Thomas Cook hired me to smuggle him out of the country. That was before I knew he was going to kill my niece. And if he has more brains than an ant, which I doubt, then he'll not permit himself to be seen by me. He'll survive better by turning himself in to my baby brother than he will if I catch him."

Kathy nodded. "What about this Hardwood reporter guy?"

"He's not going to have a very merry Christmas, either, if I don't miss my guess." said Elizabeth... who rarely missed her guesses. "And he may not make it to the New Year..."

Part 15 - A Stunning Offer

"My phones are ringing off the hook." said Press Relations Captain Briscoe. "All reporters, wanting to talk to Commander Troy. Our hotline for tips on Cook and Hardwood... reporters are using that too, clogging it up."

"Fer cryin' out loud." muttered Chief Moynahan. "Okay, Brick, just stop answering the phone. Tell the hotline operators to get names, numbers and addresses if they're reporters, and then tell them we're sending patrols to arrrrr-est them. And then do it, let's go arrest the bastards until they learn to leave the hotlines a-looooonnnnne."

"Yes sir." said Briscoe. The Chief then called Captain Ross, who came into his office seconds later. "Sir?" she said upon entering.

"What's the Iron Crowbar do-ing?" the Chief asked.

"He's in his office, sir," said Cindy. "On the computer, melting the wires. I don't even ask, sir; his brain is going too fast to talk to me."

"Heh heh heh heh." chuckled the Chief. "Listen, Captain... we do need to find these two bastards before he does. Even if he doesn't beat them down silly, the Press might say he did, or they might do something... irresponsible. So get that message out to the Precincts on Captain Croyle's behalf as Operations Officer."

"Sir, I'll relay that to Lt. Hewitt." said Cindy. "He's doing Captain Croyle's job, and I only step in when someone does something stupid, like Briggs did when he tried pulling rank on him."