All Comments on 'Testing My Wings'

by rawallace

Sort by:
  • 13 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percyalmost 2 years ago

Do what makes happy!

4

kiwifordkiwifordalmost 2 years ago

As a long time reader here who definitely knows that he doesn't have the talent to organise the random threads firing across the old grey matter into something resembling a coherent plot let alone a fully fledged story , i'd like to say thank you for the work and effort you have put into creating the stories you have.

As a reader I've found that there are some authors that can cross genre's easily and others that struggle ....... as you point out , the voting score does not always reflect on the quality of the storytelling.

As a reader there are some categories that i just don't even open and if i was ever motivated enough to revisit it , my favourites list would get a severe pruning - that's not so much a reflection on the authors/stories that i've populated it with as a reflection on how my tastes have changed. I prefer a story for the character development and plot - not really ever been into what would be called a "stroke story" but do like a story where a happy ending occurs (who doesn't like happy endings :) ) or a story where the reader actually has to think about it.

Anyway i'd just like to wish you the best of luck with your future writing and once again offer many thanks for your offerings.

JoshFrom53JoshFrom53almost 2 years ago

I'll be sorry to see you disappear into 'The Big Wide World'.

Cracker270Cracker270almost 2 years ago

I will miss you. But if moving on at fifty stories is a goal then I am very happy you have met it. And you got me, as was your intention, with your election comment in your last story. I hit that like a starving snook on a Zara Spook.

All the best Rachael. You have provided many hours of pleasure and I thank you.

Penny

CrazyDaveTrucker60CrazyDaveTrucker60almost 2 years ago

I tried to sort of target my stories. I didn't like it. So now I try to just please me, and that's it. It's not that I would not like folks to enjoy my stories, I do. What I have found is that when I am very happy, and have really put some work into a story, it has a much better reception than when I put something out quickly, maybe without enough editing or polish, those stories are roundly rejected.

Wolfden999Wolfden999almost 2 years ago

ON behalf of you 358 followers, it would be a shame to see you quit now. Love the stories and always waiting for more.

dmallorddmallordalmost 2 years ago

I haven't made it through all your stories, yet. Just found them recently. I like them. They are refreshing and different from those strokers I try to step around and find those that have plots and twists and surprising endings. Best wishes for whichever fork in the road you travel down.

ChopinesqueChopinesquealmost 2 years ago

Thank you for sharing your thinking! It is always interesting. Always. Your values don't need to be mine for the story to be excellent, but empathy and respect for the other side's best attributes helps. People might be wrong without being monsters. Just be (as you are) a human writer speaking to the (human) reader. The commonalities make it work. Some of the unhelpful commenters are, I think, angry, or maybe hurting people. And yes, unthinking. It's a big world.

Fireguy1956Fireguy1956almost 2 years ago

You are indeed a very talented writer. I have enjoyed every story of yours that I have read. I do hope that you continue to write and post here. You are one of the very few who actually have talent.

SexyCoupleAdventuresSexyCoupleAdventuresalmost 2 years ago

I haven't read any of your works just yet, but I will certainly make a point of doing so. For me a newby to writing erotic fiction it's about the set up, about the motivations of the characters involved, and if there's no sex in it, fine, if there's plenty of it fine. Whatever is in it has to make the story work and ultimately make the writer happy and proud that it's out there.

TheDokTheDokover 1 year ago

Interesting read. As a fellow "author" I share many of your experiences. I would agree it is difficult to find wheat amongst much chaff on this site. I only read this because it was favourited by RiverMaya an author whom i respect greatly. II look forward to reading your stories and providing feedback in due course

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I actually signed on as a member just to have the honor of replying to this …. I’ve read several of your stories and think I can answer your conundrum with a simple statement: Readers want to become one of the characters in a story.

It’s been my experience that writing from a perspective we do t understand makes it hard to create a character that everyone can latch onto.

Most men over a certain age, subscribe to a straight male perspective, therefore I order to hold them in the story, there needs to be a character they can envision themselves as.

This doesn’t mean the story has to change from your intent, but one should consider having a character within the story that a single older straight male can associate with.

Just my two cents worth! :-) Best of luck! And keep up the good work!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userrawallace@rawallace
UPDATE: It has been a while since I last published a story here. I've returned to the sci-fi genre this time with a short story I hope you will enjoy. Please feel free to leave comments both favorable and not so favorable. I appreciate them all. I enjoy reading a wide variet...