Texas Trio Ch. 15b-19

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Uncle Harry was out of the question, of course, but once she married and gained control of her inheritance, she need never see him again.

Becky and Nanny were a different story. She supposed Becky might return to school, with Nanny in a house nearby, awaiting Becky's matriculation to marriage and motherhood, but Cat didn't think she could bear a permanent separation from the two people who had been most important in her life.

A glimmer of a smile touched Cat's lips but didn't reach her worried eyes.

Becky's indecorous amusement was far from the approbation she had every right to expect. Nanny would be another matter altogether, as was Becky's own reputation if she continued to associate with her sister after the truth became public knowledge. As it surely would eventually, unless she, Colt, and Jem secluded themselves in the wilderness with no servants, friends, or associations outside their own, and that was no way to live. Besides, Catherine had no intention of even pretending to be ashamed of her unconventional relationship. She loved Jem and Colt and they loved her. Where was the shame in that?

Still, the logistics were daunting.

Cat smoothed her skirts and turned toward the door, readying herself for the trials to come.

--:--:--:--:-- CHAPTER 17 --:--:--:--:--

Tea time was hell.

Uncle Harry, freeing himself and his odious servant from work simultaneously, invited the hulking man to tea with the family and proceeded to allude to business dealings throughout. Every matron in the country forbid such talk at social gatherings, but Frannie was no longer there to control Harrison. Catherine, who had the requisite skills, daren't try.

In addition, Jem's presence flustered her beyond belief. Having had the morning to mentally prepare, Catherine was nonetheless appalled to find herself blushing nearly every time she met his gaze. The glitter in his golden eyes didn't help, nor did Becky's apparently innocent comments. The brat was an astonishingly talented actress, Cat decided, meeting her eyes after one such remark.

Jem had no idea what was going on.

"The weather should be fine this afternoon," Catherine replied sternly, confusing her uncle with what seemed a rude change in topic.

"Catherine, your sister was speaking. Pray let her finish."

Becky graced Cat with a dazzling grin as she turned away. "Why I was just saying, Uncle, how nice it is that you invited Mr. Hawkins to tea today. Sharing one's domestic bliss with those in one's employ is the sign of a true gentleman. Don't you think so, Señor Allejandro?"

"I couldn't agree more, Señorita Connor."

"Do call me Becky, Señor. I feel as though I know you intimately already, and you are to be my brother, after all."

At a loss, Jem let a small silence slip by. "I hope to be, yes, Señorita-- perdon-- Becky."

Harrison cleared his throat, drawing their attention. "As to that, Jim, I'm sure by now my niece has had a chance to discover for herself what a fine catch she has. I've had Hawkins draft a letter for the bishop and this weekend's paper, announcing the banns."

Becky gasped, and Jem's teacup halted halfway to his mouth. Their eyes darted to Cat, who paled but otherwise kept her expression under control. She found it impossible to form a response, however.

Jem came to her rescue. "Perhaps we should wait--"

Harrison interrupted, "Nonsense! Catherine has made everyone wait long enough!" He stood, Hawkins rising like a shadow behind him.

"We'll publish the banns and you'll be married by this time next month." He grasped Jem's hand, shaking fiercely. "Welcome to the family, Jim!" Harrison didn't bother to hide his gleeful anticipation, assuming only Jem would recognize the self-interest inherent in his expansive mood, and he didn't congratulate his niece before taking his leave, either, an unforgivable lapse less noticeable in those circumstances.

Becky and Catherine sat frozen in place, Becky's mouth agape, when the door slammed behind Harrison and his man. The sound shook Becky free, and she flew from her chair, landing on her knees to Catherine's right as Jem arrived on her left in nearly the same attitude.

"Catherine--" Both voices were low and soothing.

She blinked. "I... I--"

"Catherine, we don't have to, sweetheart. I'll devise some delaying tactic." Jem let his Spanish accent lapse in his rush to comfort her.

Becky's jaw dropped as amazement took the place of her concern.

Catherine laughed delightedly, startling them both. Pointing at Becky, she cried, "It serves you right!" Her sister's shock was a balm to Catherine's nerves.

Becky made a face and turned her eyes to Jem. "How--"

She wrestled her composure back into place. "Pray tell, Señor, how you mastered our language so precipitously!"

Jem actually blushed, making Catherine giggle. When Jem's eyes flew to her, she clapped a hand to her face and paled. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to--"

Jem drew the fingers of her free hand to his lips, his eyes laughing. "I told you, Catherine, you need never apologize to me. You are perfection, and your laughter music to my heart, no matter its cause."

Becky's humor disappeared as she gaped from Jem to her sister, smiling so intimately and lovingly at one another.

"Oh," she sighed.

Cat blushed.

A door closed somewhere nearby.

Unaware of Becky's discovery, Jem darted a meaningful glance at Catherine as he lowered his voice, remembering his accent this time. "Perhaps we should take a ride this afternoon. All of us."

--:--:--:--:-- CHAPTER 18 --:--:--:--:--

An hour later Jem pulled to the side of the road, halting the carriage and disembarking to stand alongside Becky, sitting atop the rear bench seat. He hadn't attempted to explain anything, making small talk to ease the tension between them. Now the real test had come.

"Miss Connor, please allow me to introduce Colt Kendall, my business partner."

Colt swept off his dull black hat, bowing low to Becky. He might not have Jem's polish, but he had the moves, and he knew what society expected of him even if he didn't always adhere to its dictates.

When he rose, and Becky got her first good look at him, she stilled, her hand extended.

Jem covered the moment, "You may previously have encountered him in his role as my valet, Miguel."

Becky struggled to regain her composure.

Jem prayed silently that it was something other than the native brown color of Colt's skin making the girl stammer.

Colt took over, lifting her hand to his lips, "I apologize for our--"

"Subterfuge," Jem put in.

"-- deception--" Colt continued, ignoring Jem's contribution.

Becky regained her voice, "Yes, well, perhaps you will enlighten me."

"We'd be delighted, Miss Connor. May I?"

"Of course."

Seated next to Catherine in the buggy's front row, Jem was relieved to hear polite small talk flowing easily between the two behind him. He was never sure how anyone would react to Colt's heritage, and Catherine's apparent lack of concern hadn't guaranteed her sister's acceptance. Come to think of it, he'd have to ask about that someday-- how a provincial society belle like Catherine came to be so seemingly free of prejudice. Right now he had other worries.

Disembarking in the glade by the river where Catherine and Jem had picnicked, the ladies arrayed themselves on a blanket by the bank as the men perched on nearby rocks.

"Again, Miss Connor, we'd like to apologize for our somewhat unconventional approach."

Becky nodded. "Señor Allejandro, considering the... unconventional... nature of the situation, perhaps we could dispense with the formalities. I'm Becky, he's Colt, and you are... Jem? Is that correct?"

"Jeremiah Wilson, Miss-- Becky. Formerly of Boston, now residing in Liberty Falls, Texas."

"Are you any relation to a Miss Penelope Wilson of Lowell?"

"Penny! Yes, Penny's my cousin, though she was only four or five when last I saw her."

"We summered together at a friend's house in Maine two years ago. She was charming-- if perhaps somewhat taller than you remember her to be."

Jem laughed.

Catherine kept her attention centered on Becky. Every time she peeked at Jem and Colt, one of them caught her eye and she blushed. Mistakenly, she thought no one knew, but the others couldn't help noticing the pink tide sweeping sporadically across her cheeks.

"And you, Colt?"

"Jem's the only family I got, Miss Connor-- Becky--" Colt corrected himself. "I grew up in an orphanage and worse places than that.

"Now, like Jem said, we got a ranch out in the western part of the state where we do pretty well in the cattle business and we got some investments that are doin' okay, too." He paused. "The reason for all this... subterfuge... like Jem says... was to rescue your sister from some trouble she didn't know she was in."

Jem spoke next. "Colt overheard your uncle planning to marry Cat off in order to gain control of her portion of your parents legacy. He then enlisted my help, hoping your uncle would choose me as his target. My assumed name and country of origin helped, as your uncle's main concern is to have Catherine out of the way. My false identity can also help ensure your sister's safety later, if necessary."

While Becky absorbed that information, the others hoped fervently she wouldn't ask for additional information. Like how Colt and Cat met, for starters. She didn't. Instead she returned to what she considered most pressing-- the topic raised in the drawing room an hour before.

"Now you mean to wed?" she directed her comment to Jem, but looked from him to Colt, and back to Catherine when neither of the men replied.

The silence lengthened as everyone waited.

Catherine's voice was quiet but steady, "Yes."

Becky smiled as giant sighs escaped from both men, turning a sardonic eye their way. "I beg your pardon, but which of you will she be marrying?"

The pair's astonishment was nearly as gratifying as her sister's had been that morning, but Catherine didn't let Becky bask in her enjoyment. She'd endured more than enough of her younger sister's shenanigans for one day. She frowned sternly. "My sister, as you will soon discover, finds humor in... unconventional... places. She's already realized I... that we... that I have feelings for you both."

Stuttering hesitation gave way to exasperation when neither man jumped in to help. She turned to Becky. "We haven't actually discussed the situation in detail, as yet, but Uncle expects me to marry Jem, of course."

Cat stopped short, took a breath, steeled herself, and said it out loud for the first time, "In the reality of my heart and in our home, I will be wed to both Colt and Jem, no matter which of them signs the marriage license."

Cat smoothed her skirts, trying to appear businesslike, while everyone else stared at her.

A second later Becky had to whip her own skirts aside, lest they be crushed by four hundred pounds of Texas male, her sister's suitors having thrown themselves at her feet.

"Cat, do you mean it?"

"Catherine, we'll make you so happy."

Becky couldn't help but smile at the tableau-- her sister glancing sweetly from one man to the other, feelings writ clear across all three faces. She covered her smile when Colt leaned in to kiss Catherine, as Jem, more conscious of their audience, bent low over her hand. Cat didn't care about Becky's presence any more than Colt did, it appeared. She closed her eyes and kissed him back.

Becky's smile melted into a surprised "o", echoing the shape her eyes assumed.

Hearing Cicely Fredericks describe her brothers kissing their paramour was a lot different than watching the act in person. Especially the way Cat and her new fiancé were kissing, their mouths and lips doing things that Becky never imagined were involved in a simple kiss. And, dear Heavens!--tongues!

Jeremiah, directly opposite Becky, cleared his throat loudly when she paled, apparently about to swoon.

Colt pulled away, and Catherine, opening her eyes to find Becky staring at them, colored more deeply than before. She retained enough composure to mind her sister's well-being.

"Your hat!" she commanded, not caring which man placed one in her hand. She fanned a cool breeze across her sister's pale cheeks. "Breathe, Becky! Deep breaths!"

Becky, jolted from her amazement, gulped for air and colored even more rapidly than Cat herself. "Dear Heavens!"

Catherine grinned. Oddly, her sister's reaction made her less self-conscious. The men cleared their throats behind her, trying politely to hide their own amusement.

By the time the ladies regained their natural complexions, Colt and Jem were settled on their respective boulders, averting their eyes until Catherine allowed otherwise.

She coughed politely and stepped right into the mire of their current situation, surprising them all once more. "So what do we do?"

Becky, who'd been thinking along the same lines, introduced a complication. "Nanny will be a problem, you know, unless you intend to keep this a secret." A sweep of her hand indicated the trio before her.

"We can't. I won't. It wouldn't take her long to see the truth, in any case, but I refuse to hide what I feel." A blush belied the bold words. Her heart had yet to overcome all her history had instilled.

"You won't leave her behind!" Becky hadn't considered the possibility until that very instant.

Catherine was shaking her head when Jem intervened, "Ladies, Colt and I think we have a solution for this dilemma."

The sisters greeted his statement with twin stares of curiosity.

"Your Nanny seems to have conceived a fondness for our groom, Caleb. We believe their relationship can help ease the way past any objections she may have."

Jem stopped. There was more they needed to discuss, but some subjects edged the bounds of what he was willing to say in polite society, even in front of family.

Colt had no such compunction. "Jem and me expected you'd want to bring your Nanny along, Cat, and we'd be happy to have anyone else you want to bring, too. 'Specially Cook...." he mused, distracted for a moment by the memory of last night's boeuf à la Bourguignonne

Jem had to snap his fingers to bring Colt out of his reverie, making Catherine and Becky giggle.

"Oh, sorry."

Jem rolled his eyes. "Like Colt said, Catherine, we want you to be happy and well cared for at the ranch. Make arrangements to bring any of the servants with you that you please." He paused awkwardly. "And, Miss Becky, if you won't be... er... uncomfortable... we'd be honored if you would make your home with us, as well."

Colt jumped in with another consideration Jem would be too polite to mention, but which he felt needed saying straight out. "An', Cat, we got plenty of money, so we can take care of you and anyone else as good or better than your aunt and uncle been doin'."

Cat, accustomed to only the most oblique references to money, if it was mentioned at all, beamed at Colt. "At the risk of offending Jeremiah, your honesty is refreshing."

She remarked to Becky, "All these years of being polite while Uncle hid his true nature have disillusioned me. I fear I may soon be as bold as you!"

Becky smiled affectionately at her sister, but murmured, "Pshaw. Don't make me hit you with a pillow."

Catherine turned to her men, glancing from Colt to Jem. Her voice deepened as she spoke. "Thank you both. Your offers are incredibly generous. I feel very lucky."

Colt saw Cat's eyes glossing up as emotion got away with her.

Jem's solemn reply didn't help. "It is we who are fortunate, Catherine."

Colt leavened the situation. "Cat, you might wanna reserve judgment on your good fortune 'til after you seen us coming off a week on the range, when we been sleeping with a herd of stinkin' cattle and even smellier cowboys!"

Everyone laughed and the moment passed smoothly.

--:--:--:--:-- CHAPTER 19 --:--:--:--:--

In Cat's room after dinner, the girls did what they'd spent a good portion of their lifetimes doing; they gossiped and chattered, making plans and dreaming about the future.

Not wanting to spoil a day so laden with promise, Cat nonetheless felt obligated to make the situation plain. "Becky, I know it all sounds nice--"

Becky interrupted, "Cat, 'nice' doesn't do this justice. You're moving to a ranch with two rich, handsome husbands who love you beyond belief. No one could miss it in the way they look at you! And I know you feel the same way about both of them. You are so lucky!" In her exuberance, she twirled, letting fall the gown she'd been holding to her shoulders.

Cat laughed and caught Becky's hand, pulling her down to sit beside her on the loveseat. "Yes, yes, I know. But Becky, I want you to think carefully before you make your decision.

"Even if Colt and Jeremiah were destitute, the inheritance I receive upon wedding will make me wealthy. I can afford to buy you a house anywhere in the world. You and Nanny will live in complete comfort and enjoy the best that society can offer a girl of your social standing. You can wed anyone you choose." She pursed her lips, firming her resolve. "You don't have to come live on a ranch with your... your... trollop of a sister."

Becky gave her hand a sharp jerk. "Stop that! I won't listen to anyone say that, not even you. You love those men, and they love you. There is nothing cheap or tawdry about it."

"My living situation will reflect on you despite what either one of us believe about the union. You realize what that means. It will affect who you can marry and every other aspect of your life. You won't be accepted in polite society any more than I will, not here, not anywhere. Think of it. If you don't accompany me, you will be unaffected. For all intents and purposes, I will have vanished to Argentina with my wealthy husband. You could live anywhere in the world without worries or disrepute."

"I don't want to live anywhere in the world. I want to live on the ranch with you and the twenty nieces and nephews I expect you to give me!"

Catherine, who stupidly hadn't yet considered the children she'd be sure to have, froze, her lips parting and her eyes wide.

Children!

Becky burst out laughing.

Children!

Cat didn't have time to mull it over, as the door to her suite flew open, admitting a whirlwind of half-breed Cajun furor. Nanny, usually as meek and retiring-- at least on the surface-- as her station demanded, shed every scrap of seemliness.

She stormed to the sitting area, aghast.

"What in God's name are you thinkin', girl? Have you heard not one word I been sayin' to you all these years? You're a good girl, raised right! Your Aunt Frannie din't teach you to think like no slut from the gutter, an' I certainly din't! Where you get the idea that you kin--"

Becky stood. "Nanny--"

Nanny waved one hand practically in Becky's face. "Miz Becky, you jus' sit down and shut your mouth. Your sister is shamin', you, shamin' this whole family, an' I ain't gonna sit back saying nothin'!"

Cat, ashen white, barely noticed Jem slip in the open door, closing it behind him.

"Whatcho thinkin', Miz Cat? I know you ain't thinkin' about your sister, or your poor dead Mama, God rest her soul."

Colt poked his head in through the door, an alarmed expression on his face. Jem said a few low words and, with a worried glance at Cat, Colt withdrew.

Nanny paid no attention to the goings-on behind her, and disregarded the tears now pouring from Catherine's wide eyes. Becky, chastised, sat clutching her sister's hand, hoping to offer some small comfort.

Nanny kept right on with her tirade. "What kind o' future you gonna have? What about Miz Becky? She's gonna be shamed right along wit' you an' she won't get no husband at all, or a bad one. Your Mama would never have stood for any o' this shameful talk o' heathen practices. She expected me to take care o' you two girls. I won't stand by an'--"