That Little Spark

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We'll take it," David said and got out his wallet and handed her his credit card.

I whispered against his ear, "Why don't I pay for it, and then I'll keep it after, to save you having to bring it back."

Smiling, he kissed my cheek. "No. I'm buying it. And it's yours to keep."

We would talk about this later. I wasn't going to let him buy me a ring, especially such an expensive one. I was only expecting him to get some cute little thing, just to make it look like were engaged. The jaw-dropping sparkler he'd just slipped on my hand, made it look like we were intending to stay together forever. Which we both knew, was not the case.

I just hoped, once this was all over, that he could get his money back.

Walking together arm in arm back to the car, I thought he seemed to know what he was doing, when he chose the ring, that was now shimmering on my finger. So, I asked him, "Have you ever shopped for an engagement ring before?"

He nodded. "Yes. Once. But it never went anywhere, and we never got engaged."

We were crossing the parking lot, and I took Brayden by the hand and he held onto Nathan. I didn't think I should ask him what happened, though I would have loved to heard that story, wondering what woman in her right mind would let a man as wonderful as David slip away.

***

The next morning, when we got in the small interview room in the courthouse, we noticed we were the only ones there. Nathan's dad, true to form, hadn't even bothered to show up, and neither had his parents.

We had just sat down and the judge walked in, and we stood again as he nodded hello to the three of us.

He took a moment to read over the case file, then the proceedings got underway.

Nathan was asked to go up and take a seat beside the judge, an older man with thinning graying hair, and a kind smile.

"Nathan," he asked him, "if you could live anywhere you wanted, where would you like to live?"

Focused on his hands in his lap, for a moment he didn't say anything, till finally he looked up at the judge, and said, "Anywhere?"

He nodded. "Yes, anywhere."

"Well, if I could... I'd really like to live with my mom. But since she's in heaven, the only other person I'd want to live with is my Uncle David. He's a really nice uncle and he said after he adopts me, that I can call him Dad. If I can't have my mom anymore, I would love to have a dad, because I never had one before."

The judge cleared his throat, and his voice sounded a little ragged when he said, "Thank you for being so honest, Nathan."

He looked up at him, hopefully. "So, do I get to go home with my Uncle David now?"

"Not quite yet, young man. But if you'd like to go back and sit down with him, I have a few more questions to ask before I make my decision."

Nathan came and sat between the two of us. I watched David take his hand and give him a wink, while Nathan flashed him a big smile.

I noticed the judge watching their interaction was smiling, too, which I took as a hopeful sign.

Looking back at his notes, the judge addressed David next. "Mr. Sommers, I understand since you first requested custody of your nephew a few weeks ago, that you've recently been become engaged to be married."

David looked across at me and smiled. "Yes, your honor."

He lowered his glasses and looked at me. "I assume this is the lucky young lady?"

Grinning back at David I said, "Yes, your honor, I'm his fiancée."

"Exactly how long have you two known each other?" The judge asked me, carefully looking back and forth between the two of us.

"We actually met on Valentine's Day. Nathan and my son are classmates and best friends, and the boys arranged a sleepover at my house. When David came to the door with Nathan, the moment I saw him... I just knew."

He chuckled. "That fast?"

"Yes, actually. I felt a little spark the moment our eyes met." I smirked, looking over at David. "And we've been together ever since. When David asked me to marry him, I didn't even have to think, I said yes."

The judge looked pensive, studying the three of us.

I didn't feel too anxious. I had told him the truth, except for the part about us planning to get married. I honestly did feel a connection the moment we met, and could still feel it now, as I looked over at David, looking back intently at me.

Then I noticed the judge's eyes went wide when he looked down at the ring David had put on my finger. Now I understood why he'd chosen such an expensive ring. It made it look more real. If he'd bought me the tiny one that I had pointed out, he probably would have seen right through us.

"Mr. Sommers, I would like to have a word with you in private," the judge said, nodding his thanks and dismissing the two of us.

Reaching for Nathan's hand, I whispered to David, "We'll wait outside."

Sitting outside on a bench across from the interview room, wondering what was taking them so long, I started to feel anxious. I kept looking at my watch, trying to imagine what they could be talking about. I just hoped the judge wasn't accusing him of showing up with me to try and pretend that Nathan would have two parents, when we both knew that David had no plans to marry.

After about an hour, Nathan started to yawn, and curled up against my side. Stroking a hand over his head, I told him, "I don't think your uncle should be too much longer, sweetie. Then we can go home."

He nodded, looked up at me, and made my heart clench when he said, "I really like you. And I'm glad you and my uncle are getting married, 'cause you'll be like my mom then, won't you?"

I had to blink back tears. He was such a sweetheart, I wished he really could become my son.

Hearing a commotion, and a few people muttering and swearing, I turned my head. A shady looking guy in jeans and a leather jacket with a man bun and scruffy beard, tatted up to his ears was rudely pushing past the people standing around in the hallway. My heart jumped as I realized that he was coming right at us. When I heard him mutter, "Where the hell's my son?" I felt the hair on the back of neck stand on end, knowing he had to be Nathan's father.

Busy checking the numbers over the doorways, he hadn't spotted us yet. I whispered to Nathan, "Why don't we go get a hot chocolate in the coffee shop downstairs?"

I was pulling him to his feet as he nodded, and said, "Okay," looking confused, probably wondering why I was in such a hurry.

Clutching Nathan's little hand in mine, quickly hustling us away from him down the hallway, I ducked behind a pillar when I heard the man saying something. Standing in front of a young clerk leaving the interview room we were just in, he gruffly asked her, "Is this the hearing room for the custody of Nathan Sommers?"

When she said, "Yes, it is." I saw him nod, then watched him brush past her, pull open the door and rush inside.

Halfway down the staircase on the way to coffee shop, I said, "Just a moment, Nathan."

Standing on the landing off to one side, my fingers trembling so hard I could barely hit the keys, I texted David: "Nathan's father just showed up, and he's headed into the interview room. I'm taking Nathan downstairs to the coffee shop. We'll wait for you there."

He texted back: "Thanks!"

Sitting waiting for the verdict, I was a bundle of nerves, but was glad Nathan was oblivious to what was being decided upstairs. Smiling up at me, happily munching on a big oatmeal raisin cookie and sipping at his hot chocolate, he had no idea that at this very moment, a judge was deciding his entire future. A judge who had the unenviable task of trying to determine if he'd better off staying where he was with his uncle. Or, if he should be sent away to live with his father. A man he'd never even met.

"How's the cookie?" I asked, stroking his back.

"It's really good." He held it out to me. "You wanna bite?"

Such a sweet boy, I pressed a kiss to the top of his head, smiling down at him. "No, thank you, honey. You just enjoy it."

Smiling back up at me, he nodded and took another bite.

I checked my phone again, praying with everything I had that Nathan wouldn't be taken away from David, and be forced to start over with people he didn't even know.

I had a bottle of water sitting in front of me, anxiously peeling at the label, when David came walking into the coffee shop. My heart leapt when I saw him, trying to see from the look on his face if the news was good or bad.

"Hey, we're done," he said with an encouraging smile.

Getting to my feet, I whispered over Nathan's head, "How did it go?"

David shook his head, pointedly looking at Nathan, who was looking up between us, curiously.

I nodded, knowing he'd tell me later. Though my stomach was in such a knot, wishing he could tell me one way or the other what was going to happen.

We were driving back to his condo, and David looked back, and saw that Nathan was asleep in the backseat.

Lifting my hand to his lips, he smiled and whispered, "The judge said he's got a good home with me, and doesn't see any reason to move him."

"Oh, my god. Really?" I wiped at my eyes, so relieved, the tears just flowed.

David chuckled. "Hey, it's okay. He said he's staying where he is, and I'll tell you the rest when we get home."

I nodded, taking a few deep breaths, to try and calm down, and stop the stupid tears. I was so happy for them, well, for all of us really, that Nathan wasn't going to be taken away from us.

We picked up some dinner on the way home. Watching him trying to eat his chicken and salad, we noticed Nathan was having hard time keeping his eyes open.

David lifted him into his arms, and pressed a kiss to the top of his head. "You've had a long day buddy, and I think it's time for bed."

I made coffee while David was helping him get ready. When he came back, we sat in the living room, and I couldn't wait to hear what happened.

"So... what did the judge say?"

"Well, I brought everything he'd asked for. He checked over my financials, and read the letter from my boss, and references from my friends. He made a copy of everything, and really took his time studying the letter my sister wrote, saying that she wanted Nathan to live with me. He remarked after he'd read it that he wished she would have gotten it notarized. But said he understood when I told him, that there wasn't time for that, because she died the next day."

I squeeze his hand, when he swallowed a few times, I guess thinking about his sister's passing.

He blew out a breath and told me the rest of what had happened. "I also told the judge that I own this place outright, and I've got a house being built, so that Nathan will have a big back yard. I had Nathan's report card. And his teacher sent a letter and said he's doing really well, and he seems pretty happy and well-adjusted. I told him that I'd put every cent my sister left for Nathan in trust for him, too."

"Did he ask about us?"

He nodded. "He did. First thing he did was ask about the difference in our age, I guess realizing that you're quite a bit younger than I am. I told him the truth, that you're 28, and I'm about turn 43, but it didn't matter to us, because we're happy. Then he looked me in the eye, and said he hoped we hadn't gotten engaged just to try and pretend that I had a partner, who'd be helping to raise my nephew."

"And what did you say?"

Smiling, David tipped up my chin, kissed me and whispered against my lips, "I told him that what we have is real, and we're in love. And as soon as Nathan's custody is settled, we plan on setting a date and getting married."

"You said that with a straight face?"

Though his eyes were dancing with mischief, he didn't say anything else. But I felt a little rush, as I thought how wonderful it would be, if it was actually true.

"But what happened when Nathan's father walked in?"

David shook his head. "Honestly, I don't even know why he bothered to show up. He reeked of beer. As soon as he sat down, the judge asked him if he'd been drinking. He just shrugged and said, 'I had a couple of beers with lunch, so what?' The judge did not look too happy when he said that."

"No kidding, if he was that disrespectful."

"When the judge asked him if he was gainfully employed, he had to think for a minute and he finally said, 'Depends on what you mean by gainfully employed. I don't work nine to five anywhere, but I do enough to get by, doing this and that.'

"Oh, my god. He actually said that, and didn't even pretend to have a job?"

"Guy had an attitude you wouldn't believe, and he just kept shooting his mouth off, while the judge kept glaring at him. Then when the judge asked where he was living, he shrugged and said, 'Sometimes I live with my parents, and sometimes with friends.' "The look on the judge's face was priceless, like he could hardly believe what he was saying. Then he asked him, 'If you were to get custody, where do you plan to live with your son, Mr. Jones?'

"And what did he say to that?"

"He said that Nathan would be living with his parents, and he planned to visit him as often as he could. The judge just shook his head, looking disgusted. And that's when he made his decision, and told him that without a full-time job, and no permanent residence, he couldn't in good conscience, move his son from a safe and happy environment with me, to a life of uncertainty with him."

"How did he react when he said that?"

"Oh, he was pissed. He shot to his feet, pointed a thumb at himself and said, 'I'm his fucking father, and he's coming home with me.'

I gasped. "I can't believe he'd say that."

"Neither could the judge. He picked up the phone, called security, and told me I was free to go. And said he'd be sending me the paper work, about his decision."

"You know when I first saw him in the hallway, pushing his way past everyone, I knew he was trouble. Which was why I ran downstairs with Nathan. I was afraid if he saw him, and realized who he was, that he might try and snatch him away from me."

David reached over and squeezed my hand. "I was glad you texted me and told me what was happening, and that you got him somewhere safe. Now let's just hope, we've heard the last of him."

I really hoped he was right.

David pulled me against him, and kissed my cheek. "I was really glad you there for us today, Kaitlin. What you said to the judge about the two of us, I'm sure helped sway his decision. And I can't thank you enough for the way you took care of Nathan when his dad showed up, and got him out of harm's way. I might not have even had a chance to talk to the judge, if he'd managed to run off with him before he'd even made his decision."

"Well, he would have had to drag me away with him too, because I wouldn't have let him go. He's such a sweet boy, he's captured my heart. And I couldn't imagine him being handed over to that sorry excuse for a father."

David stroked his hand across my cheek, with his eyes on mine. "I knew the night we met at your place on Valentine's Day, that you were something special. You were just so good with the boys. I haven't really been dating, since Nathan's come to live with me. Mostly, because I didn't think it was fair to him, to meet someone who might not realize that the two of us come as a package."

I smiled when he said that, because I knew it was true. "Well, I think it's wonderful that treat you him like your son, and make him feel secure."

He smiled when I said that. Then he let out a long slow breath, and decided to tell me about the woman he'd almost married.

"I was seeing someone, and things were getting kind of serious and we were talking about getting married. Then my sister got sick, and Steph kept asking me how my sister was doing, pretty much every day. I just thought she cared about her, and thought it was kind of sweet. Until I found out that my sister wasn't going to make it, and I had to move her to a hospice.

"Then Steph asked me what I intended to do with Nathan when my sister passed on. I wondered if she was serious, because obviously the only option I had was to take him in and raise him as my own. With my parents both gone, I'm the only family he's got. And I've been involved in his life since the day he was born.

"Steph told me though she didn't mind Nathan, she didn't really kids, even had her tubes tied to make sure she'd never have any. Though she never thought to tell me, while we making plans to get married."

"You must have been devastated, when she told you that."

He nodded. "I was pretty upset. But I was glad she told me how she really felt, before we went any further. When she gave me an ultimatum and said I had a choice, either I could be happily married with her. Or, if I chose to take in my nephew that we were done."

"What a choice to have to make. How could she expect you to turn your back on your nephew?" I didn't know the woman, but already knew I didn't like her.

David shrugged. "It wasn't that hard to decide. I just told her, 'Then I guess we're done.' "She was pretty shocked. And even said, "Isn't there some kind of place where they send children like him, who've lost their parents?"

I said, "You mean like an orphanage, or a foster home?"

She nodded and said, "Yeah, someplace like that. I'm sure they'd take good care of him, and you could probably arrange visits with him, so you wouldn't lose touch."

"Oh my god David, was she serious? She actually wanted you to send him away?"

"She did. She really showed me who she was, when she said that. I just said goodbye and walked out. She's called me a few times since then, by I don't bother answering when I see it's her."

I didn't even know what to say. Though I could understand now, why he was single, after going through something as awful as that.

David lifted me onto his lap, wrapped his arms around me and hugged me really hard, and whispered against my ear, "That's why I was so happy when I met you. You've got a really good heart, Kaitlin. And we're in the same boat, raising these kids on our own, and we understand each other, like no one else probably could."

"Nathan's just so loveable, I can't even fathom what she was thinking, asking you to walk away from him."

"Neither could I, which is why I've been on my own since my sister died."

We just sat, and hugged for a while, till David said, "I should get a shower, and let you call your mom to check on Brayden."

While he was gone, I called her to see how he was doing, and to share the good news about Nathan.

"Oh, thank goodness," she said. She got all choked up, and started to sob, and got me a little weepy, too, just hearing her cry. "I knew there was no way they'd take him from David, when he's so good to him."

"You're right, Mom. They're like father and son, they're so close."

"I'm just glad it worked out."

"And thanks again for watching Brayden, Mom, I imagine he's asleep by now. So, I'll pick him up in the morning and I'll tell him the good news, that his friend is staying with his uncle, right where he belongs."

"Well, you know Brayden is fine with me. And I wouldn't mind if you wanted to leave him with me for another day. I already told him that tomorrow, we were going to make soup with little animal shaped pastas, and I was going to teach him how to make brownies for dessert."

I laughed, knowing how much the two of them enjoyed each other. "Okay, Mom. Then I'll come and get him later on tomorrow, and you two have fun."

After I'd had a quick shower, David and I were in bed, just holding each other, mulling over everything that had happened. Seeing how pensive he looked, I cupped his face in my hands, and kissed him. "I am so glad everything worked out the way it did today, and that it's finally over."

"Yeah, I was pretty relieved when the judge gave his verdict, knowing it could have gone either way."