The Autumn War Vol. 01: Invasion

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"If you think you have the stamina," he teased.

"Oh, I have more stamina than you realize, squishy boy," she chuckled. "We'll see if mammals or arthropods come out on top."

***

"Attacks on enemy infrastructure are proceeding as planned," Fielding said, Vos nodding his approval as he peered out of the observation deck windows. "It was a rocky start, but the hit and fade attacks are working. The Bugs seem to be having trouble responding in force."

"I doubt it will last," Vos replied, keeping his eyes on the forests that scrolled past far below. "The Bugs are adaptable - they'll eventually figure out ways to counter our incursions. Our priority needs to be drawing out those field commanders before that happens. They're collecting information and formulating new strategies just the same as we are."

That wasn't what had Vos so distracted, however, and Fielding seemed to know it.

"Have you heard anything from the Ensi yet, Admiral?" he asked as he joined his superior at the window.

"No," Vos grumbled. "Radio silence is standard procedure in these circumstances. The moment they call home, they'll be lighting a beacon for every Bug in the area. We won't hear a peep out of Fletcher until his mission is accomplished."

And they wouldn't hear from him at all if he failed, but that went without saying.

"Do you think they'll find anything?" Fielding added, sparing the admiral a curious glance.

"If you're asking if the Ensi might be right, she certainly seems confident, but I question her objectivity. If one of our colonies was attacked, they might be able to hold out for a few months, assuming they had ample supplies and prior warning. We build bunkers, underground shelters, we form PDF militias and equip them with enough gear to survive until a UNN fleet can arrive to do the heavy lifting. Not only were the Valbarans unprepared, but they had no concept of conflict on this scale. They had no weapons, no defenses, no contingencies for an eventuality like this. The idea of someone surviving down there for thirty years...I wouldn't take that bet."

"Do you think she knows something she's not telling us?" Fielding asked.

"No," Vos sighed. "I don't think she's looking for survivors, I think she's looking for closure. I just hope it doesn't come at the expense of my men."

~CONTINUED IN VOLUME II~