The Avenger of Anitalia

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Morana reached for the dagger in her belt and raised it to strike at the man's throat. He stopped her stroke with a crushing grip on her wrist, and laughed again as Morana cried out and dropped the dagger.

"Yes, only a young girl, but one with the temper of a badger. Tell me, girl, why do you wish to kill me, not that you ever could."

"You killed my family."

"Oh, and where would I have done such a thing?"

"In the village of Nitara."

"Hmm...I do not recall ever visiting a village by that name. How do you know I was there."

"It may not have been you, but you are part of the Wolf Company of the Palace Guard that was. I will kill you all and send you to Dumene for punishment."

The man's gleaming white teeth flashed through his heavy black beard as he grinned.

"You would kill us all? There are over a thousand. How could you hope to do such a thing."

Morana glared at him and thrust out her chest.

"With my bow and my dagger. I have killed many already."

The man chuckled.

"So I have heard. How do you know I am of the Wolf Company?"

"You wear the wolf's head on your helmet, and you stopped here on your way to Corly as they do."

The man slightly eased his grip on Morana's wrist.

"Girl, what is your name?"

"I am Morana."

"Morana, I am not a part of that group of animals who are the Wolf Company, nor am I a part of any Palace Guard. I stopped here in hopes of finding the man who was ridding the countryside of their ilk. I thought I might find an ally for my quest."

"I do not believe you. You tricked me by putting a sack and logs under your blanket. You are trying to do the same now."

The man smiled.

"A very logical thought for a young girl, but it is a false one. Were I to release you, could you stop your efforts to kill me long enough to listen to my explanation? If you are not satisfied, I will give you back your dagger and you may try again. I assure you the attempt will not be successful, but you may try."

Morana felt his grip on her wrist and shoulder relax again and was confused. If he was part of the Wolf Company, surely he would have killed her by now, or from what she had heard of their conversations, probably done worse before killing her. If he spoke the truth though, why did he dress in the uniform of the Wolf Company and why was he going to Corly? No man from any village outside the land of Enzach would ever venture there except a trader. A trader would have a wagon and would dress much as the people of the villages.

Perhaps he was just toying with her before throwing her to the ground, violating her body and then killing her. Doing so would seem to fit the past practices of the Wolf Company. Still, in her current situation, she had little choice. The man was much stronger than she, and could easily overpower her. If she was loose, she might be able to run away. She looked into the man's eyes.

"I will listen, but only if you give my dagger to me first."

The man chuckled as he released Morana's shoulder, bent down, and picked up the dagger. He flipped it in the air, caught it by the blade and handed her the handle, then released his grip on her wrist.

"Here is your dagger, my little vixen. Take care you do not try to use it before I finish. Sit down."

Morana sat down on the blanket, but held her dagger at the ready. The man smiled.

"I am called Fadal, and I am from Langill, a village that was sacked by the those you call the Wolf Company. I survived only because I was away hunting a wolf that had killed two sheep during the night before. When I returned, I found nothing but ashes and the dead. I knew of the Wolf Company of the Palace Guards and their actions from a trader who passed through. The destruction of my village could have been caused by no other, and I resolved to take my revenge in any way possible. I knew to do so, I would have to look like one of their own. They would not suspect a man dressed as they dress.

I found two of the scum camped one night and killed them both. I then donned the clothing of the largest, took his horse, and left them to the wolves. After that, I found others and was welcomed into their ranks, for they are many, and none know all by face or name. If the group was small enough, I would end their lives. If not, I would stay the night and listen to their tales, then saying I was on another mission, leave them the next morning. It was in this way I learned of the 'Spirit of Dumene", as they call you. Most are very fearful of you.

"My goal is not to kill all the Palace Guards. I have heard from the Guardsmen I camped with that only the Wolf Company of the Palace Guard is responsible for the sacking of villages. The others are in Corly and only doing their duty to avoid being put to death by King Sador. My goal instead is to remove King Sador from his throne. Such will be a difficult thing to accomplish without assistance. I had hoped this 'Spirit of Dumene' might be the assistance I require. That is why I did not end your life as soon as you approached.

"That is my tale for now. If you are satisfied I am not of that murdering hoard, we can speak further of my plan. If not..."

Fadal held his arms outstretched.

"You may do your best."

Morana thought more about the way Fadal had told his story than the story itself. As she had listened to the conversations of the other guardsmen, she had come to know them as men crude in speech as well as in actions. Fadal spoke as one accustomed to being polite and truthful, just as had the men of her village.

He also had smiled at her as he spoke. She had never seen such a smile from any of the others. Fadal's smile was friendly, not the leering grin she'd seen so often. True, his heavy beard and greasy hair was the same as the others, but for some reason she could not fathom, Morana found his smile to be entrancing.

She looked again at Fadal.

"You say I could not kill all the Wolf Company. How would you manage to kill King Sador? He will surely have many of them to protect himself."

"I spoke with one of the true Palace Guards when he deserted. He rode through my village and stopped to buy food. He told of many of the true Palace Guards, including their Captain, who wish to end Sador's reign. Unfortunately, their Captain fears for his life and will not lead them to do so. I would lead them to take the palace. Once we hold the palace, King Sador would be ours to do with as we wish."

"Why would you think the Palace Guard would follow you? You are just a village farmer."

Fadal smiled.

"I am not a farmer. I once held rank in the true Palace Guard, but was injured by a fall from a horse. Since I could not perform my duties, I was thrown out of the ranks to fend for myself. It was through the kindness of a trader and his wife I made my way to Langill. I remained there after my injury healed because I heard of the transfer to the throne of Sador. He was a cruel child, a cruel man, and I had no doubt, a cruel king. I should have remained in Langill had the village not been razed for I wanted no part of such a kingdom.

"I know most of the true Palace Guard. Their Captain is a good man, but he is weak and afraid to lead them. They will follow me."

"Why would you need the help of another then?"

"I need a way by which to meet with the true Palace Guard. They hate the Wolf Company and would not speak to one were he to approach them without a reason. I need such a reason to speak with one or two that they may convey my plan to the others. Once they recognize me, they will do so. If I brought him the man who had killed so many of his Wolf Company, King Sador would place that man under the control of the true Palace Guard until he could carry out the execution. I would deliver that man to them and speak with them when I did so."

Morana questioned that logic.

"But surely King Sador would order the man to be immediately killed."

"No, he would not. Executions are carried out when the sun is high overhead that all of Corly may watch. I would arrive after that time. He would be forced to wait until the next day.

"The situation is now different. He knows of you, though not of your sex, and you have spurred him to madness beyond his usual state. He has no doubt planned the death of the man responsible. Once he learns you are a woman, he will want your death to be especially slow and in view of the people of Corly that no one might attempt such a thing again. I have heard he is not very quick of thought. It will take him a day or two to decide upon a fitting method of execution. That will be enough time to rally the true Palace Guard and end his reign.

"What if you should fail?"

"There is no reason to think I shall fail."

"You would fail if I do not go with you."

Fadal chuckled.

"It would seem you have only two choices -- go with me willingly, or go with me as a prisoner. I would rather you choose the former."

Morana thought for several moments. She had tired of killing men even though she felt no sorrow at their deaths and would continue until no more crossed her path or she was herself killed. She had promised Dumene to do so.

Her hidden valley was a safe refuge for now, but eventually she would probably be discovered. Discovery would mean she must flee if she was able, but most probably she would be killed.

Fadal seemed very confident. Only a mad man would attempt such a thing as he planned unless that man knew he would succeed. Fadal did not seem mad. His reason for that confidence seemed weak to her, but if the plan worked, she could return to life as a woman. She was not certain what that life would be, but it would be happier than the life she now led. She turned to Fadal.

"I would hear all of your plan before I choose."

It was near daylight by then, so lest they be seen, Morana led Fadal to the opening in the rock and then into her hidden valley. He was amazed at the sight, and further amazed at the collection of daggers and other arms she had taken from the men she killed.

"Do you mean to start an army of your own with all these bows and arrows?"

Morana shrugged.

"I do not know how to make them, so I take them when I can."

"I see you prefer the dagger over the sword. Most men would choose the opposite. The dagger is a close-quarters weapon."

"The swords of the Palace Guard are too heavy for me to use well. I find it easier to use the dagger even if being so close turns my stomach. Men of the Wolf Company do not seem to wash often and they smell. Now, tell me all of your plan and what I must do."

The morning sun of the following day had just peeked over the trees when they rode toward Corly. Morana rode in front of Fadal and her hands were tied to his saddle. He said it was the way of transporting a prisoner when only one horse was available. Morana thought it more likely it was a way for Fadal to feel her hips pressing into his belly, for so they were.

The feeling was not unpleasant as she had first imagined. She found herself enjoying the feel of his hard muscles against her back and his belly against her hips. She also was aware of another feeling, the same feeling she had when washing herself in the pool in the valley. She willed that feeling to go away, but the brush of her breasts against the inside her leather tunic with every step of the horse stiffened her nipples and the feeling was only heightened.

The sun passed it's highest point of travel and was dropping slowly toward the west when they neared the city gate. The sentry in his station above the gate challenged Fadal.

"Hold that horse. What is your business in Corly?"

Fadal smiled.

"Do you not recognize one of your own? I am Fadal, of the Wolf Company of the Palace Guard, and I have brought King Sador a prize. This woman prisoner is the assassin who has been killing our men."

"Ah", said the guard. "The King will be pleased. Turn her over to me and I will see she is taken to him."

Fadal let his hand fall to the handle of the sword at his side. As he had anticipated, the guard would take Morana to the king and upset his plans. Though he smiled at the guard, there was no mistaking the meaning of his words.

"I think it better I do it myself. You might possibly forget my name, and I do wish it to be known I was her captor. Capturing such a prize will mean another step in rank for me. Of course, if you would rather challenge me, I will oblige. You will no doubt have a very nice funeral."

The guard's eyes opened wide and he said nothing for a few moments. Then, he smiled a forced smile.

"I see what you mean, Guardsman Fadal. You may pass."

The guard left his station, and a few moments later the gate swung open. Fadal clucked to the horse and rode through.

Morana was somewhat bewildered by the number of people walking about the numerous shops and homes inside the wall around the city. Never in her life had she seen so many people in one place. There also seemed to be Palace Guards everywhere. She began to shake with fear, but Fadal's voice calmed her a little.

"Do not fear anything here, Morana. I will see to your safety, though it might not seem so at first. Just do as we planned. All things will be put right within one or two days."

Fadal did not ride to the palace Morana saw in the distance. Instead, he rode to a long building near the wall around the city. When he approached that building another of the Palace Guard spoke to him with a harsh voice..

"I see by your helmet you are of the Wolf Company. Your barracks is further down. Be off with you."

Fadal's voice was soft enough only Morana could have heard what he said.

"I know this man, and I believe it will be possible to change our plan. Use that pretty little head if you are asked a question. They do not know who you are, and it will be best if they remain uninformed."

Fadal then stopped the horse and chuckled.

"Merlone, do you remember teaching a young boy to shoot the bow? You laughed when he scraped his arm with the bowstring and said a girl could to better."

As the man approached, his mouth fell open.

"It can not be."

Fadal chuckled again.

"It can be and it is. Is Idole still a menber of the Palace Guard?"

"Yes, he is. He is inside the barracks."

"Run and fetch him then."

The guard ran back inside the barracks and returned moments later with another man in the uniform of the Palace Guard. The second man stared at Fadal for several moments, then smiled.

"Merlone told me a tale I could not believe. You do put on a good show, but I know it is just that, a good show."

Fadal laughed.

"Just as you knew the truth when I put that scar on your backside with my sword?"

Idole gasped.

"So, it is true."

Fadal's voice became stern then.

"Yes, it is true, and we have much to discuss. First, I must see to the safety of this woman, for King Sador will have her killed once he knows she is here and the guard at the gate will tell him soon, I expect. Can you find a safe hiding place for her?"

Idole whispered something to Merlone, and then both men nodded. Merlone walked away as Fadal untied Morana's wrists and then helped her down from the horse. Idole led them to a small building behind the barracks.

The inside was filled with sacks of grain, and the cured hams of wild boar hung from the beams of the ceiling.

"We will hide her, but first she must have a change of clothes. Merlone has gone to get those."

When Merlone came back, he had a red dress tied in a bundle under one arm and a pair of slippers in his other hand.

"I told Jacone the girl's height was the same as hers and she gave me this dress and these slippers. Jacone is somewhat fuller through the middle so the dress may be a bit large, but she will look like just another whore and no one will suspect."

Morana gasped.

"You are making me a concubine?"

Fadal laughed.

"Where would you be safer? The Palace Guard protect their whores from everyone."

"You will be safe", said Merlone. "I told Jacone you were a girl I purchased from a trader from the south and were not to be used by anyone except myself. Jacone is the mistress of the brothel. She will make sure you are not bothered. You must change now."

The three men left Morana alone to change. It felt strange to put on a dress again after spending so many months dressed as a man. The dress was also somewhat embarrassing. This Jacone woman was rather full in the bust and the result was the already revealing neckline fell low on Morana's chest, low enough a good bit of the separation between her breasts was revealed.

It also felt strange when she walked out of the building because all three men were staring at her. She felt the warmth of blushing on her bared chest.

Fadal chuckled.

"I might have to challenge your claim to her once our business is finished."

Merlone smiled.

"It seemed to be a good way to make sure she is not placed in danger. As you brought her with you, I know she is yours. We must get her to the brothel now before she is seen."

Morana had expected to see men and women together in the brothel for that is how her mother described such a place. Instead, there were only women. Merlone had introduced her to Jacone and reminded the woman Morana was not to be touched by anyone else. Jacone, a plump woman who had the same lines in her face Morana remembered her mother having, smiled.

"She will remain untouched as you wish, Merlone. I shall put her in my own room. No man would dare go there unless I invited him, and I shall invite none."

Jacone led Morana to a separate room in the building and ushered her inside. Morana could only stare at the fine furnishings, carpets, and draperies. They were lavish beyond anything she had ever imagined could exist. She stopped staring and turned at Jacone's voice.

"Where are you from, girl? Merlone said you were from the south, but did not give a city or town."

Morana thought quickly and hoped her lie would pass as the truth.

"That is because I lived in no city or town. My father was a trapper of furs and we lived in the forest. He and my mother died two years ago. I do not know why other than they began to cough one day and died the next. The trader found me and took me away. I did not wish to go with him, but he forced me."

"And this trader did not touch you?"

"No. He said I would fetch a higher price if I was untouched by a man. He found other women in the cities and towns we passed through to satisfy his needs."

Jacone smiled.

"Were you one of my girls, I would demand a high price even if you were not untouched. You are quite beautiful. Merlone is fortunate to have found such a woman. Perhaps one day you will become his wife, no?"

"I have not thought about that, for I do not know him well at all. Is he a kind man?"

Jacone smiled.

"Yes, child, he is. Were I younger, I would be attempting to attract more of his attention than his evening trips to see me. Alas, such will probably not be. Well, I must prepare for this evening. Once they have had their fill of food and wine, the guardsmen will come and want a woman. I will bring you a meal when my cook has prepared it, and you will sleep in my bed tonight. Do not be alarmed when I join you later. I do not view women as does a man."

Jacone's voice then turned serious.

"Do not venture outside this door no matter what you hear. Men leave their brains with the dregs at the bottom of the wine skins and would spread your legs in a heartbeat no matter what you or I said."

Morana sat and looked about the room until Jacone brought a bowl of stew of wild boar. She ate the stew, then because the exertions and stress of the day had tired her, she undressed and slipped under the blanket of the bed. In a few heartbeats she was asleep.

She awoke the next morning, and when she stretched, her arm bumped into Jacone's leg. The woman was sitting up in the bed, and at the touch, turned to look at Morana.