The Avenger of Anitalia

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Ah, you are awake. Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, I did. You have a wonderful bed. Everything in this room is wonderful. I have never seen such before."

Jacone chuckled.

"I have certain talents Merlone thinks are worth such things. He brings me gifts from his travels around the kingdom as thanks for my use of those talents. I fear you will receive Merlone's gifts now. He did not visit me last night."

"He usually does?"

"Yes, every night unless he is away on some venture. Something must be happening for him to stay in the barracks. There were only a handful of men here last night, and they were all men who just joined the Palace Guard. Perhaps they go on a quest of some sort or other. We will know soon enough. I will see if the cook has our breakfast prepared. Perhaps she knows something as well."

Jacone rose, dressed, and then left the room. Morana also dressed and then sat down to wait for Jacone's return. Her wait was not long.

Jacone rushed into the room.

"Get dressed, girl. Oh...you already are. Come. There is fighting in the streets and it is no longer safe here."

Jacone nearly dragged Morana out of the brothel, such was her haste. Morana followed because she did not know what to think. Fadal had assured her she would be safe if she stayed in the brothel but now she was running through the streets where anyone might see her. She was still wondering when they reached the barracks she had left the night before.

Merlone had been watching for them, and took Morana by the arm.

"Come with me. I have six men in the barracks who will die before allowing either of you to be harmed. You will be safe here until the battle has ended."

Morana asked who was fighting.

Merlone grinned.

"The Palace Guard are fighting the Wolf Company and will soon take the palace. King Sador will be arrested then and the new king will take his place."

"What new king", Jacone asked. "There were but two sons born to King Rodan, and Udor is dead."

Merlone's grin became even larger..

"Udor lives. He came here yesterday with Morana. Even as we speak, he leads the Palace Guard to overthrow King Sador. I will come for you when it is finished."

The throng of people gathered in the courtyard parted to let Merlone, Morana, and Jacone pass. As they neared the palace, Morana saw a raised platform with a beam over the center. Heavy ropes hung from the beam. She stopped and pulled on Merlone's arm.

"There are so many people. Is someone to be hanged?"

Merlone laughed.

"Not today, Morana. Today, the gallows serves as a stage for King Udor. He wishes you to be with him."

When Merlone urged Morana to climb the steps of the platform, a tall man with black hair came to help her. At first, she did not take his offered hand for she did not recognize him. He smiled.

"You do not know me? All I have done is remove my beard and trim my hair."

"Fadal?"

"Yes. I am the man you know as Fadal. It was necessary to deceive you for a while. Since we were successful, such is no longer necessary. I am Udor, the new King of Enzach. Come now. I must speak to my people."

When Morana walked onto the platform she saw three other men standing there. One she recognized as Idole. He stood with another in the uniform of the Palace guard. The man between them was short with blonde hair and a crooked nose. He wore only a nightdress, his hands were tied behind his back, and his eyes flicked back and forth at the crowd and then at Udor. Idole held a dagger to that man's throat.

Udor stepped forward and held up his hand to silence the murmuring crowd.

"People of Corly, on this day I and the Palace Guard have released Enzach from the rule of this miserable excuse for a king. He was never a good man and became only more cruel upon assuming the throne. I know this because I am his brother, Udor. That I am truly Udor has been confirmed by Idole, Merlone, and all of the Palace Guard who knew me."

The Palace Guard who surrounded the platform nodded. The crowd buzzed with talk which Udor allowed to continue for a while. He held up his hand then.

" You heard of my death at the jaws of wolves. The only wolf involved was my brother Sador. As you can see, his attempt to kill me was not successful. I have returned to Corly to end Sador's reign over you. This would not have been possible without the help of the Palace Guard and ..."

He beckoned Morana to come to his side.

"And this young woman. Her name is Morana, though you may know her as 'the Spirit of Dumene'. A braver woman I have never met. She is the mysterious person who killed so many of the Wolf Company. She also risked her life to gain my entrance into Corly that I might rally the Palace Guards against the Wolf Company. I shall be in her debt always.

There was more nodding of heads and low talk. Udor held up his hands again.

"On this day I have made several decrees. I shall relate those decrees to you now.

"From this day forth there will be no more executions of people who only speak their minds. I would encourage you to speak your thoughts that I might become as good a king as was my father, King Rodan.

"From this day forth, there will be no further attempts to expand the kingdom. We shall defend our borders if necessary, but be content with what we have. Many areas are as yet unexplored and uninhabited. It shall be the duty of the Palace Guard to explore the land. It shall be my responsibility to further settlement of these areas once they are explored. In this manner the kingdom will prosper as never before.

" From this day forth, the Wolf Company is disbanded. No longer will they take the lives of people who only wished to make a life for themselves and their families. Tomorrow, I will send emissaries to the kings of the lands sacked by Wolf Company to make peace and reparations.

"The last matters that need deciding today are the fate of Sador and of the Wolf Company that remain alive.

"My decision regarding Wolf Company is that every man shall be stripped of everything he owns including his clothing, and then banished from Enzach. Perhaps they will learn what it means to lose everything but themselves as did both I and Morana. It is also my decree that should any return, they will be hunted like the beasts they are and once killed, left for the wolves and ravens.

There were a few cheers from the crowd, and those cheers quickly became an uproar of the same. Udor raised his hands again and continued to speak once the din had ceased.

"Sador presents a problem for me, for he is my brother. Under his reign, even a much lesser offence against the kingdom would result in death, but I cannot kill my own brother even though he tried to kill me. I believe he also killed our father and mother, for King Rodan was too strong a man to die overnight and my mother was younger and just as strong. I have no proof of this however, so I must take his word that he is innocent.

"I have thought long and hard about his fate once deposed, and have come to a decision. Morana showed me a small valley in the mountains to the south of Corly. There is but one entrance and that through a gap in solid rock. The mountains that surround this valley are much too steep for even a goat to climb.

"In the valley is water and land that would grow grain and vegetables if tilled and planted. Sador shall be taken to that valley along with one buck and three doe goats, and with the seeds of grain and vegetables and farming tools. As it is late in the year, he will also be supplied with enough food to last until crops may be harvested. Once he is there, the entrance will be closed using rock and mortar sufficient to seal the entire length against entrance or exit. Sador shall live, but he shall live alone and work for his own survival. In this way he may learn to appreciate the lives he snuffed out.

I leave you now to attend to the business of King of Enzach. Rejoice in this day, for it means freedom from a cruel ruler and the beginning of a happier life."

As the crowd began to disperse, Udor turned to Idole.

"Is all ready?"

"Yes, King Udor. The goats and supplies are on their way. Culim and I will take Sador there. The masons are loading their sacks of mortar and tools. They will arrive shortly after we do. By nightfall, Sador will be imprisoned in the valley. The masons will complete the filling of the entrance in another three or four days. I will have two men stationed at the entrance until it is sealed."

"Good. See to it Sador is not injured during the trip, for there are many who wish him harm. I want him to be fit and healthy that he might learn how the people in the villages lived before he ended their lives."

"Highness, do you wish to say anything to Sador before we leave?'

"No. I never want to hear or see anything of him again."

Udor turned to Mordone.

"Mordone, would you escort Jacone back to the brothel? I have business to discuss with Morana."

"Yes, King Udor. It is as good as done."

Udor grinned.

"While you are there, you might explain to Jacone what transpired last night. I believe she would enjoy hearing that."

Udor winked at Mordone.

"Take the rest of today and the night if need be."

As Mordone left the platform, King Udor turned to Morana.

"Morana, would you do me the honor of dining with me tonight? I have many things to explain to you."

Morana gasped.

"Fadal...I mean, King Udor, I am but a simple farm girl. I cannot dine with a King."

Udor chuckled.

"Well, right now you look more like a whore than a farm girl, but I am certain the seamstresses of the palace can convert you into at least a passable woman of my court. Shall we go to the palace that they may take the appropriate measurements and begin? You may wish to attend to other woman's things as well. I will assign a chambermaid to you. All you need do is ask and she will bring or do whatever you require."

Morana followed Ibana, her assigned chambermaid, down the long hall and into the huge dining room. Her mind was still whirling at all that had happened since she had entered the palace.

Udor and she had been met by four women who curtsied and asked what they might do for them. Udor smiled.

"This is Morana. She is not as she looks. Take her and dress her as you would a lady of the King's court. Ibana, you shall be her chambermaid. Give to her whatever she asks as well as what you believe her to need."

The four women curtsied again as Udor turned, then took Morana by the arms and escorted down the hallway.

While she stood naked and embarrassed, the oldest woman measured her body and then brought samples of cloth and asked Morana to choose. Morana marveled at the softness of the cloth and at the bright colors. She selected one of green, and the woman complimented her.

"Green will go well with your hair, m'lady. You have a good eye for color."

Morana had barely time to realize she'd been addressed as a lady before Ibana took her by the hand.

"M'lady, you must be tired from your travels. Perhaps a hot bath would revive you?

Morana had never bathed in such luxury. At her parents home, bathing was done from a wooden bucket filled with warm water. When she traveled the countryside, her baths were in the cool waters of a stream. As she eased into the massive stone tub full of steaming water, the tingles that raced through her body caused the tensions of the past months to begin leaving her. Ibana then handed her a white cake of soap that smelled of flowers.

"M'lady, I understand this was a favorite of King Udor's mother. I thought you might like it as well."

Morana did like the soap. It left her skin smooth and feeling fresh, not dry and rough as had the soap her mother had made. She wondered if it was customary when Ibana said she would wash Morana's hair. Once Ibana began to do so, Morana sighed at the feeling of the woman's fingers on her scalp. When she finished her bath, Ibana wrapped her in a thick towel and then combed her hair until the auburn tresses were dry and fell in waves about her shoulders.

Morana had never seen such a dress as the older woman brought to the room, much less ever thought of wearing such a garment. The bodice fit as if it were her own skin. The seemingly endless pleats of the skirt flowed over her hips and reached nearly to the floor. The green slippers matched the dress and felt as comfortable as wearing no slippers at all.

The older woman eyed Morana from every angle and then smiled.

"M'lady, you are a woman to please any king's eye."

Udor sat at one end of a huge table when Ibana showed Morana through the door. He stood and smiled.

"I knew they would change you. I did not anticipate they would present me with such a beautiful woman. Please, sit down at my side that we may talk over our meal."

The food was excellent, but though Morana ate, she was more aware of their conversation than the taste of the roasted fowl, tender vegetables, fine bread, and sweet wine.

Udor began by explaining his supposed death.

"We were hunting wild boar. I had speared one but not killed it, and had followed it to the edge of a low cliff. I feared it would plunge over the edge and we would have to begin again. With dagger in hand to end its life, I approached. When I was upon the boar, Sador laughed that this would be the last boar I would kill. I then felt a sharp pain as his spear pierced my side. When I doubled over in pain, I lost my balance and fell headlong over the edge.

"The spear had mostly just ripped my leather vest, though it left a long gash in my skin. Because it was not imbedded, the spear fell away as I went over the edge. I lay there at the bottom not moving because the fall had taken my breath. I could feel the warmth of my blood flowing from the wound, though it did not seem to be much.

"Lazy man that Sador is, he did not bother to scale the cliff to confirm my death. I heard him muttering about ridding himself of his only challenge to the throne as he tied the boar to his saddle with a rope and dragged it away. After that, I heard nothing. I waited for a long time before rising and climbing from the bottom. Sador was nowhere to be seen, nor was my own horse.

:As I lay at the bottom, I had wondered that he would try to kill me, but I knew the reason. Father had told me of his secret decree and that Sador had only smiled at that knowledge. Sador had planned to kill me and then kill father to ensure he achieved the throne. Going back to challenge him would do no good. He would simply find another way to kill me.

"Instead, I bandaged my wound as best I could and struck out for the village I spoke to you about. One of the Palace Guards who trained me with the dagger had grown to manhood there and the village was near by. That man was the deserter I told you about. We met on the road to the village as he was fleeing Corly, and he carried me the rest of the way. It was through the care of his mother I recovered from my wound.

"He told me of my father's death and of Sador's assumption of the throne. I knew what type of king Sador would become, and vowed that someday I would depose him. I stayed at the village only because I was not yet well enough for the fight I was certain such would require.

"The Wolf Company did indeed raze the village even though it was inside Enzach. Sador had so ordered to punish my friend for deserting and to punish the village for hiding him. I did not know the reason until I spoke with one group of the Wolf Company one night. That conversation spurred me to action.

"The rest you already know. I had no idea you were a woman, but once I discovered your sex, I was more certain than ever my plan would be successful. Only I and my father knew of Sador's hatred for women who refuse to be submissive to a man. He would ponder your death at great length and that would give me the time I required.

"My plan did change when Merdone and Idole recognized me. I realized I did not need to put you in further danger then. As I told you it would, everything worked out well."

Marona smiled.

"I am not certain I enjoyed being placed in a brothel, but the result was as you said it would be. What will you do now that you are King?"

Udor's face was serious and his mouth a firm line.

"First, I must determine which of the court and Palace Guard were in agreement with my brother. Enzach must be rid of them and replacements appointed. The Captain of the Palace Guard was seen riding out of Corly as soon as the battle began. He will be the first I replace, probably with Idone with Merlone as his second in command."

"And then?"

"I will right the wrongs my brother caused as much as I am able. I wish to be the enemy of no kingdom and such is not the case right now."

"I think that will be a difficult task."

"Yes, it will be. I will require assistance to do so."

Udor smiled at Morana.

"Perhaps you would be interested in being that assistance."

Morana smiled.

"King Udor, as I told you before, I am but a simple farm girl."

"Yes, you told me. I do not believe a simple farm girl would be so brave as the woman I stopped from killing me, nor would she become such a beautiful woman with only a change of dress. Such would be the woman I would want as my queen."

Udor put his hand on Morana's.

"Perhaps you would be more interested in that position in my court?"

Morana was taken aback by that question.

"You would take me for your wife? How could you make such a decision? How could I make the decision to accept? I hardly know you as Fadal. I know nothing of you as King Udor."

Udor smiled.

"Fadal and Udor are the same person. They think the same and they act the same. Udor merely has a title that makes people listen to his words. You did not need a title to listen to me in your valley and agree to help me. I do not see why you would think a title should make any difference between us now.

"As for my decision, it is enough that you are both beautiful and strong of will, for any good queen should have such attributes. The feelings for you I developed so quickly over the past days only proved to me I would want no other. I could not tell you this before the battle, but I do so now. I would indeed have you as my wife and my Queen, but only if you do so willingly. I do hope you would do so, for I think I may never find another woman like you again."

The wedding was not as lavish as King Udor would have liked. Morana said she would be embarrassed enough by being in the company of so many people. Indeed, people from all over the lands of Enzach traveled to Corly to witness the event. They marveled at the white dress Morana wore and praised her beauty. After they had made their vows to each other and to the Gods, Udor and Morana presided over a feast such as had not been seen since King Rodan was crowned. As dusk settled over the city, Udor led Morana to the royal bedroom.

He smiled as he took her into his arms.

"How does it feel to be a queen?"

"It feels as if I am in a dream that will end as soon as I wake."

Udor chuckled.

"It is no dream, Morana. You are now Queen Morana of Enzach and my wife. I believe I find the thought of Morana the wife more exciting than the thought of Morana the Queen."

"My king, I will do my best to be both."

Udor smiled.

"Morana, a wife does not address her husband as king, at least not in the privacy of their bedroom. Udor, the man, is your husband. I have no doubts you will be a good queen, just I have no doubts you will be a good wife.

He undressed her then. When Morana stood before him, bare and smiling, he kissed her gently on the lips. Morana put her arms around his neck, opened her mouth, and let her feelings take her away. When Udor pulled back, she remained with her eyes closed and savored the new sensations of the kiss.

Udor undressed then, and led her to the huge bed. He saw the apprehension in her eyes and understood her fears. His father had explained to him that a girl's first time is a special time for her, a time of both discovery of pleasures and of the pain that is inevitable. He hoped the sharp stab that swept away the girl and birthed the woman would be eased by the pleasures he would give them both before and after.